Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Are there any beginners guide videos that are regarded as pretty good? I picked this game up and played through as Bhutan to at least get a basic understanding of what some of the buttons do and to watch the world play out around me. Which leads me to another question; I'm totally here for the crazy alt-history paths like communist Japan or democratic Germany, but will the AI totally poo poo itself if I take one state down an ahistorical focus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Good to know, thanks!

The one game I played through featured Manchuko turning on Japan and immediately joining the Allies, kicking off the Pacific War early. Also Russia being conquered twice, first by the Axis, then the Allies though I'm not sure why they were immediately at war after the Axis fell.

Is there a mod to improve peace treaties so the border gore is minimized? The US ended up owning the Baltic with Lithuania being two non-contiguous provinces.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I once made a Arsenal of Democracy mod that was the Harry Turtledove "The War That Came Early" scenario/series because it was a alternate history scenario that felt exactly like playing a Hearts of Iron game. Because you have people flipping sides all the time.

I'm reading a series right now with a real similar vibe, although maybe closer to a ported Victoria 2 game; the New England series by James Philip. It's a world where Washington was killed at the Battle of Long Island and the American Revolution failed. The colonial empires never fell and, because empires stagnate, in the late 1970's the technology is about thirty years behind OTL. The big conflict is the Spanish colonies of Cuba, Mexico, and Hispaniola attacking the British in the Caribbean and American southwest after a military coup in Spain, with the German and Japanese empires are also looking for ways to meddle in the fight.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

I grabbed the first book and it's pretty good so far. Gotta ask though, does he ever slow down with the massive exposition dumps. Really frontloaded with that stuff.

Nope! If anything there's even more in the latter books when he starts to get into what society is like in Mexico or Spain or Germany. Also the guy never met a run-on sentence that he didn't think could have a few more clauses tacked on at the end or even in the middle. When I got used to it these became an endearing feature, not a bug, but I can easily understand someone bouncing off it.

The author also has a multiple-book series set in a world where the Cuban Missile Crises went hot that I'm going to check out after I finish the latest New England book.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Magni posted:

...that premise doesn't really make much sense? Empires tend to stagnate in isolation, when there's no threats or rivals to spur them on. The european empires of that era never really were in any position like that, what with continental Europe being a gigantic thunderbowl of like half a dozen great powers sitting on each others' doorsteps.

Spoilering for people who don't care about bookchat, but the in-universe explanation is that there was a three-way world war in the 1860s between the UK, France, and proto-Germany. France lost, and the resulting treaty between the great powers established the new international system that was intentionally balanced so that there were few advantages to launching another war. The series is about this system breaking down, just like how the Congress of Vienna set up the system that broke down into World War 1, and the Treaty of Versailles set up a system that broke down into World War 2.

Having the big war in the 1860's also has the neat trivia of UK generals Robert E. Lee and William Sherman fighting side-by-side in France.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

imo the only way to really "fix" this would be to abandon the whole "accurate simulation of WW2 but each faction has to be fun to play" tightrope and either go all-in on an ahistorical setting ala Kaiserreich, or make an original diesel-punk world. Leave the "refight the Second World War" games to the grognards.

Comedy option: it's a World War 2 game that requires a Victoria 2 save to play, and you aren't allowed to play the same country or its allies.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Up Circle posted:

Because there simply isn't an alternate history scenario where Japan or Italy have the quantifiable industrial resources to keep up with the Allies, who are inevitably going to be the opposition.

What if they had wizards, though.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So, as someone very new to this game playing as the Soviets, my strategy is going to be build as much infantry as I can, give them all 20 combat width and support AA, set up front lines on Poland and Hungary and fallback lines on the rivers, and let the Germans bash their heads on that for a while as I build fighters, CAS, and medium tanks to break through their lines. Ignore the Navy except for some submarines and I should be good, yes?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Does Free France just sometimes not trigger? It's been about a month since France fell and Vichy France still has control over all the colonies.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Someone walk me through how I should have my armies deployed at the start as the Soviets on the Eastern Front. I tried having 24-division armies set to area defense for about two or three states each but everyone got their poo poo pushed in real quickly. The armies were almost exclusively all made up with 20-combat width infantry with support AA.

I know that the Germans are "supposed" to push me back, I saw the "scorched earth" options so I'm guessing falling back to those rivers and the Stalin Line is the way to go, but a bunch of my divisions got encircled. Should I be micro-managing to avoid that? If so, is there a way to turn off the sprites and just use NATO symbols because zooming in the front line is way too busy I can hardly tell what's happening.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Gort posted:

lol at using NATO symbols as the Soviet Union in 1940

The irony was not lost on me.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Someone who is good at army help me redeploy. My glorious worker's paradise keeps dying.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Beamed posted:

stop spending so much on cavalry

no

Those were there at the start of the game

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

boat designer: out

train designer: in

I'm going to put sonar and torpedo launchers on all my trains.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Should my infantry divisions have support AA, actual AA companies in the back row, or something else entirely? Should I be making half with AA and half with AT?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What's a good ratio of civilian factories vs everything else? When playing a major power at the moment I usually build civs until I can have four or five things under construction at one time using 15/15 factories before I start spamming military/radar/spy agency upgrades but it seems to take too long to get a decent military unless I'm playing as someone who doesn't have to worry about anything until 1941.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah I used to try and set one or two medium to small country to an ahistoric focus tree but I've found if you mess around with anything in Europe it almost completely breaks everything. Consensus seems to be if you want to have countries go lots of different ways each game play Kaiserreich.

Here's a question; what's a good mix of infantry + motorized/mechanized armies? Should I be separating them completely or going 6 infantry 18 motorized in an army or what? I'm the Soviets and my goal is to get to the Atlantic before the Allies can land.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What's a fun, easy-ish Kaiserreich country to start with now that I feel like I've got the basics down pretty solid?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The tank/ship designer would be good if there weren't just a few objectively best designs that if you don't use you may as well just not build anything.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Whoever suggested Japan as a good country to play in Kaiserreich was spot-on. I'm having a ball being the good guys, spreading democracy and decolonializing Asia while the whole Synicalist vs everyone else thing goes on in the background.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Not the wildest thing I've ever seen, but still ... :shrug:

Not pictured: a French camel unit invading Minnesota.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Still waiting for the train designer DLC so I can put sonar and depth charge launchers on my trains for a new ASW meta.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 14, 2022

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Add in "update just dropped but I better wait a week or two for the hotfixes to come out."

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I would pay for a stand-alone uniform design software and you know you would too.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Japan, and if you want to guarantee a chill game set all the US factions to isolation after the 2ACW so it doesn't matter who wins.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How is Road to '56? I've kinda accomplished everything I wanted to in Kaiserreich and vanilla.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That's pretty much what I want from Kaiserreich, though. :shrug: I just want vanilla but each game is going to unfold a little differently without completely making GBS threads the bed like vanilla without historical focuses on.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What Kaiserreich really needs is a search feature in the music player. Weighted shuffle doesn't really give much variety and when I'm playing Left KMT I want to be able to fire up The Internationale -- Mandarin Chinese every time I take a victory point.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

0.22.1 is the latest version.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kaiserreich got a hurried compatibility patch for BBA and there's an ... interesting problem with it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I got okay by playing the tutorial, then a game as a tiny out-of-the-way country (like Nepal or Costa Rica), then a medium-sized country (like Argentina or Iran), then jumped into countries that do go to war but are allied with bigger ones (like Italy or South Africa).

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Still extremely mad that I can't put sonar and torpedoes on a train.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If anyone is interested in The New Order but doesn't want to actually dive in blind, I'm doing a Let's Play of Guangdong, the most recent major content update.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032743

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I mean that's pretty much just what an IFV is.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Alright, I'm finally going to get to ask; how are you supposed to read these numbers? Because I see them get thrown around a lot but I have never been able to figure out how they actually translate to the division designer.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So 3x3 infantry and then 1 artillery off to the side, not counting the support column?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Arrangement of battalions in the division designer does not matter apart from being unable to mix types in columns.

wtf

I hate this.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The DEI troops were, of course, immediately destroyed once the Russians actually got units up there. Ironically, about a month later the Batavian Commune tried the exact same thing on Hamburg with similar results, so a bad war all around for the Dutch so far.