Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Verviticus posted:

this game i assume fixes the thing where id tell bombers to hit, say, london, and they'd go off and indefinitely bomb some shithole province that shared its territory, right

"bomb uh, generally, in this area, sort of" *blasts the poo poo out of the same field for 3 years*

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Oh dear. :can:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Kaza42 posted:

Wait, why :can:? Is this controversial or something? This seems like a pretty good focus tree for a relatively minor power that has a chance - long though it may be - of becoming a real major player or kingmaker if played well. What's the problem here?

Intermarium (i.e. between the seas) has never been a very popular concept with our neighbours, mostly due to the fact that it always assumed that Poland would lead such a pan-slavic alliance. This idea was further bastardised by the far-right, which advocated for a rebirth of a Polish Empire stretching from the Baltic to the Black Sea.

Also, the last thing you ever want to do is to name anything Polish after Polish historical figures. There will always be a large group convinced they were traitors.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Poland, obviously. Will try to ally with Mr Hilter and right some historical wrongs.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I'm curious how non-historical scenarios are going to play out. Not really interested in a historical progression. That didn't work out too well for us and I don't care to replay it.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
As long as I can ally Poland with Hitler, build a fleet to sink the Royal Navy and crush the Soviet Union I'll be happy, regardless of any AI shenanigans and shortcomings.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Antti posted:

What do you have against The Empire of the Platypus? :colbert:

It's not an appropriate name for a historical game. It's about as fitting as Falangist Poland, which is downright egregiously stupid.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Why is it that countries need alternate names anyway? I can understand the communist naming convention, as a "People's Republic" was a common historical theme, but fascist and nationalist regimes didn't go around changing their country names.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I went into my Poland game thinking "how difficult can it possibly be", well, having now looked through the available resources, I think I won't be winning any wars any time soon. Christ, Poland literally has nothing.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Anyone discovered any interesting static modifiers yet? EU4 and CK2 had lots, I remember HOI3 also having quite a bit, there don't appear to be that many in this one.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Does everyone at Paradox hate Italy for some reason? They just can't help embarrassing themselves. I'm fighting an Axis war as fascist Poland and poor Italy has nearly 30x the losses of all the other members combined. Not to mention they're completely helpless against the British landing in Rome. I'm tired of abandoning offensives to bail them out. I wish Hitler would just boot them already.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I join the Axis as Poland, wipe the floor with France and Britain, puppet them in the peace conference and all is well with the world. Out of nowhere, in spite of both of us having over 200 positive opinion, Hitler signs the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact and starts on the path to claim Danzig, as the Soviets claim Eastern Poland. Then, as I'm expecting to be back-stabbed (serves me right for trusting a Nazi), Stalin declares war on me, breaks the pact and invades. Needless to say, this triggers a whole Axis deluge, which ends with SU capitulating two months later, completely squashed by this juggernaut. Another peace conference later and the now-puppeted Russian Empire proceeds to justify war on the Reich. I wonder how that is going to go.

This AI is insane on so many levels. I'm not sure whether I like it or whether it infuriates me.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Christ, does the AI ever stop training troops? It's early 1945 and Germany has 1310 divisions and they keep training more. There's hardly room on the map for them.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

dublish posted:

Nope. I'm pretty sure the AI will push itself until it's scraping the barrel for manpower, even if it's not at war. On the plus side, those 1310 divisions are probably mostly 3 infantry, 1 engineer affairs that will crumble quickly.

They have to patch this out, it's slowly grinding the game to a halt. I can barely scroll around the map any more.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
God drat it, I spent 4 hours prepping a new game of Poland takes on the world and have ran into a constant CTD. gently caress it, gonna go play something else for a bit.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Caros posted:

So is the Soviet Union supposed to surrender at any point?

I mistimed my national focus picks so I would have been starting Barbarossa in late August, so instead of declaring war the 'traditional' way I simply allied with Finland and joined their war to kick the hell out of the Russians that way.

The fight took a little over 9 months but now I'm sort of at my wits end. Their military is crushed, I own every major Russian state and even the lovely minor ones and I'm only at 80% out of 90% victory points. I know that terrain counts for some of it, but does the game seriously expect me to occupy half the goddamn land mass of Russia just to get them to capitulate? I know in hoi 2 they had the union capitulate when you took the big three plus a few of the minor ones.

In my most recent game, they capitulated when I took Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad and all the victory points in between that offensive line.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I'm really annoyed with the world tension penalty associated with claiming territory during a peace conference when you're the defending faction. I'm the one who was targeted, invaded and then after months of fighting and thousands of deaths, I get further penalized because I dared to demand land in return for my troubles.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Something needs to be done about the AI's excessive division production. The last battle between France and US and the Allies (I love alternate history) saw a clash between at least 500 divisions, all concentrated on the Maginot line. My frames tanked to single digits and the air battle map wouldn't even open things got so slow. Honestly, there needs to be a cap put in place, this is insane.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Just finished up a game where Japan flipped democratic mid-through invading the Soviet Union, joined the Allies and dragged the entire bloc into a war against them and the US and France. US declared on them and hadn't yet joined the Allies, while France chose the mini-entente route and allied with the US. I love these non-historical playthroughs. Haven't had this much fun since HOI 2.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
The AI just builds. Relentlessly. It never stops. I had a naval skirmish in one of my games that featured 200 subs, 40 carriers and 50-something battleships on the US side alone. It really is insane. I hope PDS does tune this down somewhat, because as unrealistic as these games tend to be, that's just way too excessive.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Koesj posted:

Ehh is it even that far off?

Same with all those divisions we're seeing; maybe land forces should die at about the same rate as fighters do right now. It's not like there werent tens of millions of military casualties irl.

That's a lot in a single fleet. They had others, which were just as numerous. My gripe isn't even the absurd numbers themselves. It's their probable effect on game performance. There's a reason I stopped at 200 odd divisions. I could wipe the world with those armies two times over. Why does the US or France need 800 of them in 1945, with no conflict in sight? Seems excessive from a purely CPU/GPU number crunching standpoint.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Why does Germany have 1700 ships in 1936, what the hell is going on. Does the game assign assets at random in non-historical starts?

I have also noticed, in a test game where I'd been messing around with static modifiers that I let run all the way to 1948, that the game seems to have an issue with large numbers. I had over 1.5m of infantry equipment stockpiled and at some point it ticked over into negative numbers (negative 1.5m iirc). Not a problem per se, we're unlikely to run into this over the course of normal gameplay, nevertheless, it's something to be mindful of for people making mods or cheating the crap out of the game.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Mantis42 posted:

Does that include convoys?

No, just warships and subs.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I really wish there was a way to dump old equipment. I know I can lend lease it away, but I often have so much of it stockpiled, it would take forever to get rid of it. Seriously, why is there no way to just delete it and be done with it.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Why would you want to? Your units will always use the most current equipment available so it's not like they'll be grabbing lovely WW1 era weapons when you've got a bunch of modern stuff available. And if you don't have modern stuff available, using old stuff is better than no equipment at all.

Because I only want to have the latest equipment on hand. I don't want hundreds of old planes, tanks and weapons hanging around and finding their way into my divisions and air groups. Besides, who cares what my motivation is anyway, there should be a way to scrap old poo poo, because there's a way to scrap everything else in this drat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Main Paineframe posted:

There isn't really any such thing as "too much" in this game - anything you produce and don't need right now is stockpiled in case you end up needing it later, and since resources and factory capacity can't be stockpiled and any unused resources/capacity are just wasted, it's best to produce as much as you can.

Until you hit 1.5m units of whatever it is that is stockpiled. Then it will tick over into negative 1.5m.