Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

e: oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I figure there's no better thread than this to say I've always loved your av's Raskolnikov38. What was your last one? A nyan T-70?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

If money is folded in, it'd be interesting to have starts in 1918/1919 and have focus trees starting from then. Germany responding to Versailles and reparations would offer some different dynamics in the inter-war period.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Just start the game in ‘39 and have axis and allies victory conditions. So it’s a race for Germany to quickly win with what they’ve got.

This sounds like tabletop Axis & Allies

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Routing supply from the capital only was a really dumb simplification and I'm so glad they're adding supply hubs irrespective of anything else.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I hope a new USSR focus tree isn't stuck behind DLC

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Made it to early 1944 in a no-mod, historic USSR game where Japan revolted and US didn't enter the war. I stalled Barbarossa immediately and pushed half way through Germany, I decline Yalta when offered.

A few months later Turkey and then the rest of the allies declared war on me before Germany was defeated. I was pretty overextended and taking guns from factory to frontline.

Has that happened to anyone else? I've never had that happen in my USSR games before Axis defeat.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/hoi4-dev-diary-officer-corps-recap-ai-improvements.1494422/

quote:

To add to the choices, doctrines now cost experience rather than being something you spend a research line on

Finally.

AI naval invasion tweak seems good.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Gort posted:

Next you'll want to know why jet fighter 2s are worse than normal fighter 3s if they come so late

I have some vague memory of using console command cheats in hoi1 for improving fighter tech. It made range infinitesimal and fuel consumption infinite.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Wonder what the new console commands with the patch are? Would be helpful to dial paranoia to explore the Soviet focus trees.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Tried the "meet with collaborators" espionage mission multiple times when I had sufficient support equipment (>1500), but the system would only dispatch 1300 each time I instantiated the mission so it could never be executed. Bug?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wonder if you can still stomp Hitler into the dirt as Poland if you declare on him super early.

I just had my first MP game ever after two decades of playing this game of Stalin USSR, commie Romania, and allied Poland. Allies vs Axis vs Comintern (but Poland did not join war vs Comintern) happened after Romania declared on Czech. Germany gave up in mid 39 and Italy was almost out before we called it a night.

We played another game the second night with Poland going commie. It never got the guarantee from the Allies and it ended up as WW1 stalled fronts at Venice & Frankfurt in 41.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 1, 2021

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

After a few games, I think USSR is better off going to distributed industry for the efficiency retention & rate boosts. It's hard to get the malus off through the 5 year plan tree when you're in war and the defense industry spirit makes it worse.

Also, I'm definitely hitting a bug with the nuclear bomb focus. I've met all the requirements - past focuses and have built all academies - but it doesn't think I've build enough academies. I don't know how to verify how many it thinks I've built and I don't know if there's any hidden conditions.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

COMECON is an OP focus and leads to easy world conquest.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yes absolutely, even moreso now with the tank designer. You still absolutely cannot afford to go overboard as you are starved for mil factories but having a few hundred even will go a long way to blunting any armor thrust and letting you bog the Germans down into a longer fight.

This is the heavy you start with and its frankly absolute trash that will not work. It has no piercing or hard attack and it's on the pricey side of production. It also has low armor and trash breakthrough but that doesnt really matter too much.

This is how you fix it with only 2 army xp, replacing the turret with a heavy cannon, and removing the secondary turret. It's no KV-1 but it is finally useful with the right gun and significantly cheaper to produce. The armor is still on the low end but its enough to make it resistant to small arms/artillery/aa gun fire and you aren't too worried about hard attack because...

Your division wont be taking more than 18% of it anyways. It takes a significant chunk of mil xp to mix in the armor into an infantry division; but since you start without a heavy tank template it will cost a similar amount to duplicate/edit one of your light armor or motor divisions. The division is 21 width as that allows it to perfectly fill a forest tile's default combat width with 4 divisions, and almost perfectly fill a plains, and mostly fill out an urban tile also. These will be the most difficult terrain types to hold for you as infantry can handle mountain defense alright. Each division only costs 40 heavy tanks and gets a significant boost to piercing, armor, hard attack, and defense vs just infantry and AT. And to put 12 divisions of these into the field takes just 960 heavies which is totally doable by late '39 and should go a long way towards bolstering the ever-vulnerable Sedan-Amiens line

This kind of strategy is never going to replace infantry divisions with some AT and basically any division in northern france not on the maginot should have some AT in it, but using heavy tank/infantry hybrid gets you nice and beefy divisions that can form a pillar of your defense holding the least defensible parts of the frontline. AT is going to be more cost effective, but sometimes you want a big gun and its not bad to have one.

edit: cheated myself army xp to make the tank, and the 1936 AT tech to make the divisions but otherwise all this is available at the start date in 1936

tanks for this post. have been wanting to tinker with france

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

whats the meta or whatever for defensive troops as USSR? my 20 width infantry with support art melts against the Germans.

What I use: 24 width w/ 10 inf, 1 art, and 1 aa battalions w/ eng company. maybe adding arty + aa companies, too but low priority.

I feel like heavy tanks worked better pre-patch

Getting army xp is a lot harder now though.

e: i really want to experiment but i have no idea how to specify the new tank equipment in console :(

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 10, 2021

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Playing USSR, you get a lot of caught spies notifications. NKVD heads have detection buffs, several focuses to get free spies, and building passive defense is easy. I have no idea what USSR AI does with its spies, but good chance it just parks them in Moscow for counter-espionage.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

A picture-in-picture system for alerts like naval invasions or notable low supply would be great.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

does anything happen if you go down the stalin tree but never bother to assassinate trotsky?

I think you’re stuck with the Trotskyist Plot spirit.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

So say I wanted to do Communist France and help Spain, what's the best way to do that? Mainline Communism to send volunteers, or build up my economy and just take the Intervention focus to send Volunteers that way?

There's a focus to intervene in Spain by decision - to different degrees - for stab hits. At some stability threshold, there's a dice roll for a civil war.

Unfortunately, going to war does little to endear the republican government to France but you do eek out some xp for the cost of manpower/materiel.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

So are they ever going to fix divisions not being assigned to invasion/attack orders?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Seriously gently caress this poo poo, it's one of the most cursed places on the map, to make it worse divisions retreat into the pocket too. Like all of the territory gains happen because a third of your army is trapped in two or three tiles.

As soon as you wrote "it's one of the most cursed places on the map" i immediately knew.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1486300257344491529

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

The question of Crimea has been resolved. It belongs to Poland.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I still haven’t played TNO and have 24 hrs of flights and layovers soon (through Munich no less). Whats a good newbie TNO start?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I can't believe Red Flood isn't more popular. Best HOI4 comedy experience imho

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I wish there was a way to pick which generals you kill in the great purge.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Unless you mean tukachevsky, in which case you have to go with Trotsky or bukharin

yeah, i wanna save tukachevsky :smith:

just tried this last nite with two lines of obsolete tanks to automate the process. gotta do some good scenarios before it's patched out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB2LNaJy9wI

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

i haven't revisited the other paths since right after NSB dropped. remember being disappointed with trotsky while I hoped there were some coup buffs.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Anyone have any luck with New Home of the Revolution since NSB? Tried invading twice, once from Murmansk and once from the Vladivostok and really struggled with supply despite using L3 logistics company and going mass assault on the Vladivostok game.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

ro5s posted:

How big is the Vladivostok port? That's probably the major bottleneck

Yup this was it

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Plan R posted:

What happened to Soviet manpower?

With NSB I had two million in the field and maybe 1.5 million in reserve when Germany attacked. It used to be you could get up to like 8 million with 5 million in the field so what am I missing?

I'd have to look at my saves, but there's plenty in the focus tree. Check the Collectivist Propaganda path

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

What would a good teaching game be for me and one other. Germany/Italy facist run? france england allies run? maybe something smaller in scope first?

Ussr and communist France is a good option where you can just ignore navies and focus on army/air basics.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Did they fix tank printing yet?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I tried playing TNO last nite as USA. No CIA decision panel (but I could see CIA decisions hiding in a tooltip) and too sluggish even on a super computer. Welp.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Playing AAT as Sweden and had a focus tree bug. Can't get my extra tech slot because the check for >35 civ factories is busted.

There was another issue with "Preemptive Strike" focus giving me a war goal against Germany instead of USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

maybe a non-historical game?