Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So what does it mean when theres a DIVISION NOT READY -20% malus on the plan execute button? incomplete planning bonus?

also is there any way to see the planning bonus? Its not readily apparent but im still getting used to the interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

sorry, the best one is "Giraffes are heartless creatures"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

No, Poland got free dlc that gave then a unique tree

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

If it's oil or rubber you can always use synthetic refineries

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Krataar posted:

Is there a list of what divisions people use and what for anywhere?

i pretty much just use default infantry with artillery and anti tank guns for line holding (6-9 infantry blocks with at and artillery on the line if they arnt already in a support slot by default) and mixed motorized/tank units for offencive work (5 or so tanks, with 3-4 motorized and sp artillary if i can spare it, otherwise artillery is in a support block to avoid slowing the unit down.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Krataar posted:

Ok last question. How do infantry, motorized, and mechanized correlate to each other? Slow, med, fast?

infantry: Mans on foot, slow and cheap
motorized: Mans on trukks, fast and less cheap
Mechanized: Mans on armored trukks medium speed and pricy but more durable

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My france game is about to become a cluster gently caress in the best way possible. Heres the situation:

Im in the allies. The allies are at war with the axis over poland, and the Comintern over finland
I almost knocked out the Italians, but then the soviets rolled on up and after a few months of mountain warfare in central italy I made a skin of my teeth evacuation of the army there.
The reds are the only thing holding the italian front together and they have a not insignificant presence along the Maginot line.
Broseph Stalins about to finish the "declare war on japan" focus throwing him into a war with the axis, who currently control all his supply lines

Thank you for handing me the war you stupid, paraniod fuckwit.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You also need civilian factories for repairing things.

Not that big an issue normally tbh, but when you like me and facing down the combined airforce of the USSR, Germany, Italy, and japan the ability to get your factories up an running fast is pretty drat nice.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Its pretty great that even with historic focuses on poo poo still gets wierd, hence why my france is fighting the Germany/USSR super group.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My only real complaint is that my planned offensives don't concentrate my tanks to make a break through, instead have 2 support an infantry attack while 13 armor divisions chill on the other end of the line

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

One thing that seems like it would be a lot of fun, and doable on modern hardware, is to have persistent AI players. At the start, you would have just regular AI controlling all non-player stuff as normal. But then, as you play it saves some of the AI instances you play against. That Britain that launched an invasion of Italy and nearly ruined your plans? It's now ChapBot, and you can assign it to play any AI nation in your games, and it will keep learning. Did you beat it with tanks last game? It knows you like tanks, and will integrate more AT assets next time. Are you a huge fan of air warfare? It remembers facing down your planes, and next game it will build more fighters or AA assets. It wouldn't have to be any smarter than current AI, just have a save file of various modifiers or weights. Paradox is great at emergent narratives, so giving a name to rear end in a top hat France and have it actively undermine your favorite strategies would make it even better. Of course, you can flip a switch to turn it off in the options if you're boring and prefer vanilla AI at all times.

Basically, more games should take their cues from Shadow of Morder's nemesis system is what I'm saying. That was the best.

Reminds me of Age of Empires 3, where the AIs would trash talk you based on your last match with them.

No gameplay effects, but having on go "Oh reducing the difficulty are you?:smug:" when you started up a round was cool

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I wish you could request lend lease instead of just offering it. The US has tons of industrial capacity but rarely seems to offer materiel help to anyone.

Hey america! Glad you could join us. Dont suppose you have some fighters I could use? Tanks? .... rifles? anything at all :negative:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you mean you dont want to recreate the battle off samar/taffy 3?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Farecoal posted:

Steam reviews are saying there's a lot of oversimplification in the game design and there's a lot of problems with the AI; true?

Partially. The game is not oversimplified, those are just grognards bitching that its acessable. There are however Ai issues that can make the game too easy, most key being screwups in research priorities and division design.

Not a bad thing if your new to the series though, since it gives you time to get used to the systems.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel this thread is going to be like Alpha Protocol for me when everyone will just keep saying "you can actually do that"

Thanks

mouse over buttons and read the tool tips, it will tell you the keyboard shortcuts

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

texasmed posted:

I had been purposefully avoiding the tech in other saves because I thought it didn't work! Maybe the tech should be renamed "wizard economics" or something to indicate how 3 extra oil is now coming out of thin air.

it's because your mines and poo poo are better. that's why it's called excavation

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bozart posted:

I would like there to be entirely new focus trees when you switch from democratic to communist or whatever.

agreed, i puppeted Venezuela and made them democratic, but i have to waste my pp boosting democratic popularity because they got the focus that makes them more fascist still active

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Obstacle2 posted:

What is precipitated the desire to min-max

if you can figure that out theres probably a phd in psychology in it for you

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Man look at all these carriers I have. The war with Japan will be easy!

*severe storms render carriers inoperable in literally every major fight*

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Good, I'm tired of the Soviet Union being a big loving blob that can't be broken down.

You have pretty much the perfect username for this thread just saying

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rebuild and rearm. Join ww2 when it's convenient for you.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

What are focus trees? We just dont know.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ah yes, the pearl harbor gambit.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You can import resources from them for free

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

my favorite mod is the one that just fills in name's for all the arty/infantry gear/trucks so that mod is right up my ally

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Iran national focuses mod is pretty cool, are there any other good NF mods out right now?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im playing an irangame and its absurd. Im the Neo-Persian empire, currently getting stuck in southeast asia while also conquering Africa. The Germans ruled most of Europe for a time, trouncing communist france and pushing the polish alliance up to estonia. Then the british did a naval invasion, liberated denmark, and took berlin. The french commune has come back from the brink stronger then ever and is now making headway into fascist spain. The US and USSR for their part just sit by felling very lucky that they're not inivolved in any of this.

Ive gotten all of africa except the west, so I think Ill relocate my army to spain and see how my elite modern armor shock force lead by a skill 8 with a shitton of skills general does against non colonial armies since ive gotten all the resources i need out of that continent.

This campagin has also made me appreiate cavalry. They are super good when you dont have a lot of industry and are fighting similar powers.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kilravock posted:

Yeah but you can do the same with a surface fleet using CV's or with land based air support while only losing 4 or 5 tier 1 DD's in the same kind of battle. And the surface fleet can provide shore bombardment and raid too.

That sub fleet has been decimated. Look at the damage, those tier 2 dd's were going to town on those subs. But yeah spamming subs can work, and they work great for giving Intel for invasions.

ive had a naval invasion supported only by subs and they got a shore bombardment bonus

And big whoop, 2 months and those subs will be replaced by newer models

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I only really use line artillery with basic infantry. It messes up the terrain bonuses which eliminates the point of marines and mountaineers, and the firepower skill tree can make the rig loss support artillery gives you basically ignorable.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

brb, finishing up the FEMA DEATH CAMPS nf for fascist america

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Where is my armoured train tech? I want to fight the Russian civil war with historically accurate armoured trains run by local warlords. :colbert:

ftfy

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I cant wait to see what kinda of comically evil shithole Nazi South Africa is

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Wilhelm tried bribing Mexico into attack us, so we figured we'd go help beat the poo poo out of him because wow it was getting embarrassing for everyone involved.

The best part was that the US was like "lol this is a fake message by the british to get us into there war" then the german ambassador basically went "no no, its legit."

Besides, ultimatly the US was the only power to win WW1 because all the other powers lost a whole generation for no real gain at best, while the US made a gently caress ton of money selling them poo poo. CAPITALISM EUROTRASH :fsmug:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And then we all fell for your same trick a second time! :argh:

lets be honest, if your dumb enough to let a country whose idea of a naval landing is "lets drop you on a beach surrounded by hills with no plan beyond landing lol" drag you into a war twice you pretty much deserve to ripped off.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Enjoy posted:

Yeah calm down dude, with your 3 sentence reply lmao.

look at this fukken ragelord using punctuation lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

spectralent posted:

Oooookay, I am positive I couldn't do that that as Hungary or Poland sans Danzig some time ago. Maybe that's changed or I was missing something; I know I restarted my polish game after it after I realised that if I gave up my port I was basically hosed on imports forever.

Also does anyone who plays the Persia Rising mod have any gameplan for Turkey? I'm wondering if I've left it too late; it's 38 and world tension's kind of over tipping point now. OTOH their reasonably-strong army at the game start makes me nervy about rushing them as soon as I do Iraq.

How's your air force? Use Tac bombers on casmode to lock them into there mountains while punching through the gaps where there arnt mountains. Bring plenty of mountaineers to mop up/complete any encirclements. I had 2 armored units supported by cavalry to perform breakthroughs on desert and plain tiles.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes! :getin:

I'd guess optimally you'd need to somehow find a way to make naval carriers ignore the sea/land distinction. Not sure if that's even remotely possible though.

Im not even sure howd you get it to work with the air zone system. Make it function as a sort of mobile air base?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Focum :gizz:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah Apres Moi is pretty quality. I like how they did the focus trees. Each country has the same generic focus tree but with a few unique focuses added on to start wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

So is there no way for South Africa to shake History of Segregation?

Like, the Cape Commune is ruled by a black man. I feel that proto-apartheid should've ended.

expand the cape corp i think its call. Far left hand side of the tree, at the bottom.