Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Decrepus posted:

Is this quote from the same movie?

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." -General Patton

No, that's a real one.

Patton was a big advocate for the abandonment of fixed defensive projects like the Maginot Line, which he called a monument to man's stupidity.

EDIT: It should be noted that Patton didn't sound like George C. Scott. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9DpKDwCJcM

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Nationalist Spain auto joining the Axis while it's getting its poo poo kicked in is one of the dumb design things about this game

I've also never seen Japan do anything outside of China

I quit a game as Greater Hungary because the Germans were idiots and invaded the USSR while we were bogged down in a land war across Africa, India, and the Allies kept invading France and the Balkans. The Japanese were sending volunteers but wouldn't invade the USSR even though it conquered, divided, and puppeted all of China. I was punching through the Southeast of the USSR and took Kiev when I stopped playing because the USSR had pretty much taken most of Germany proper and Italy and Nationalist Spain were getting housed in West Africa. The US were in the war at that point too, as well as Brazil so it's not like the Allies were going anywhere with the UK still intact.

It's not an overstatement that the AI needs some work and some mechanics need to be overhauled. My hope is that the first big DLC is Asia but we'll probably get some minor ones before we even get a big one, regardless of if it's Asia or not.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I played a maximum Putin game of Millennium Dawn once and couped the government of Georgia. A NZ leader from WWII I was not familiar with, Peter Fraser I think, was the new head of state.

MD is really awkward at times because nothing really happens 90% of the time unless you instigate it. Kaiserreich at least has lots of events but is weighed down by playing 20 questions for the first ingame year or so for countries like Russia to actually get to playing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Funky Valentine posted:

I will never not laugh at the 100+ ministers KR4 Japan has.

There are only a handful of unique ministers too and the rest are just copies for whatever political path you chose to go on.

Is there a decent China mod out there?

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 3, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

Kaiserreich needs more crazy paths to go down, not less. I found Mittelafrika very disappointing considering loving Göring is leading them.

He should pretty much be like King Carol II, a hedonist who ruins everything.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is amazing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Kinda weird to put a 90 year old in charge of your country but I guess it beats Hitler.

I don't know why they didn't use someone like Canaris or Oster. I guess they wanted to do German Empire reborn instead of German military junta.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ArchangeI posted:

Also Oster isn't a person, it's the German word for Easter, which is the time when the conspiracy happened.

Every leader needs a portrait on this level.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pvt.Scott posted:

Eventually Spain might get its own tree and lose the hordes. :shrug:

I think Spain will get a shared tree similar to the China one in development but hordes will probably not be a part of it. It doesn't really make sense historically but it's a war game and Spain being a bombed out, depleted backwater that didn't participate in WWII out of common sense* isn't "fun".

*I know there's no real exact reason why Spain didn't jump in but it seems to mostly come down to Franco knowing how bad things were at that time and he wasn't going to make the same mistakes Mussolini made.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

What's it even for? I don't see what Communist China gains from being in a faction on their own, it just means they can't join any other factions.

It's for post Second Sino-Japanese War shenanigans, along with the People's Volunteer Army, which was their force in the Korean War. My theory is that it's supposed to represent the fact that the PRC was allied with the USSR but they weren't exactly under Stalin's thumb and claimed to be non-aligned. It's essentially useless at this point though the People's Volunteer Army is theoretically good if you knock out Japan and the Nationalists early and want to help out in Europe.

I wish they had more events for Nationalist China like in previous games. I guess they could add in some decisions but I feel like waiting out your focus tree and mediocre/to bad everything until July 1937 is bad. It's also a little too accurate when the Warlords don't send troops to the front when you form the alliance and just have them sit in their territories.

It's a good patch and the decisions are fantastic but I feel like it needs some work.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
To go back to China chat, the reason why the game is banned in China is simply not the existence of the Guomindang and their flag in the game but probably something different and far more esoteric. The Guomindang is pretty prominent on Chinese TV in historical dramas as inept, corrupt, and/or cowardly villains who the brave communist heroes have to kill. The 8th Route Army is also popular and they fought under the flag of the Republic and wore the 12 point star badge. The issue most likely has to do with the division of China into the warlord states and Tibet into separate countries, I think this was what kept previous iterations out of China because they claim this status quo never existed in China, and the crime of "historical nihilism."

Historical nihilism is a crime committed by anyone who reports a version of history different than the official CCP, state one in which the rise of the PRC was inevitable and the communists won WWII. Anything that deviates from this, such as an objective record of history, can result in jail time. By being able to make a China not ruled by the PRC, you're literally committing a crime in China.

There's also a protectionist element as well. Paradox isn't a Chinese company so the government does everything they can to minimize their presence within the Chinese market.

It's far weirder and complex than Nationalists are bad.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Is it really not possible to get the Claim The Mandate of Heaven focus without getting Hong Kong? I got Japan off the mainland and am the sole Chinese power on the continent. But the only way to get Hong Kong is to declare war on the Untied Kingdom and thus the rest of the democratic world?

If the Axis exists you can join up I guess, especially if Spain joined so you can take out Portugal for Macau too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

More deaths should increase stability. If you're dying on the frontline, you're not at home rabblerousing.

I don't know, the opposite happened to Germany at the end of WWI. The troops at the front were fine, Dolchstoßlegende and all that came with it, but German society was falling apart as conditions deteriorated. Sailors in port were also rabble rousing because they saw how bad poo poo was at home and the war wasn't worth it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I did a communist China run and it's about 1940 and I control the Chinese mainland sans the southern warlords and Tibet is a puppet. Japan is just the home islands, Taiwan, the Pacific islands, and independent fascist Thailand.

It was nonhistorical focuses but Japan still went with purge Konoha, I did focus on China, hoping to take out the Nationalists mid-war and then move on Japan once world tension was high enough to join the Comintern. Marco Polo goes off as normal and Nat China eventually collapses and becomes a puppet to Japan. As Japan is almost done with creating their war justification for me, I get into the Comintern, and the Soviets+Mongolia join the war. It's going well and a bit of a slog and I'm watching Europe because Germany is also mostly following historical focuses. Germany declares on France before Poland and doesn't declare on Benelux. France eventually collapses, as they are want to do most of the time, but forms the Franco-British Union. Germany declares on the USSR but has to attack through Hungary and Romania. Italy is dominating North Africa, they didn't seem to commit to France even though there was an invasion corridor in the south, and the Brits are holding out. Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland are all untouched. Yugoslavia went fascist and is helping the invasion of the Soviet Union. Japan is getting pushed out and losing territory but the USSR is not doing well on the Eastern Front. Meanwhile though, Benelux and Greece get pushed into the war and start pushing against Germany and Italy. Germany starts turning into a Belgian stain. After Japan is pushed out of the Asian mainland, I send a force to the Eastern front, which isn't that far since the Germans have taken Stalingrad and are close to Moscow. We push them back and Germany capitulates. The only section of Germany still intact is the Caucasus and Ukraine. The war in Europe is eventually over and I'm able to puppet East Germany and form the Soviet Austrian Republic for some reason. Now I'm just looking out at Japan, who is still going even though I've taken Sakhalin. I'll probably have to land in Hokkaido and Taiwan to maybe push them to surrendering.

It's been a weird and crazy game.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Nah, rush the focus that lets you conquer two of your neighbours ASAP. Then conquer two of your neighbours ASAP. You are now in a much better position for everything that follows.

If you do this path, world tension will probably be high enough by the time Japan declares on you that you can join the Comintern and the USSR will join in. Make sure you develop paratroopers or marines and naval bombers. You're not going to be doing that in 36' but once you take the rest of China, you'll have enough factories to max out your research. The USSR can't do naval invasions or just doesn't do them because of the AI only focusing on land wars so you'll have to take the mainland and Taiwan on your own.

Shanxi is pretty easy to take and tends to be better than Xibei San Ma in terms of helping your war effort. You can kind of out maneuver Xibei out of the gate but you'll get bogged down and probably still at war by mid-1937.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 1, 2018

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pyromancer posted:

How do I change ruling parties in other countries with Waking the Tiger? After getting it I tried supporting communism in a bunch of european countries expecting them to flip as they used to before, but while it increases party popularity it doesn't seem to do anything else. France is approaching 70% but doesn't become French Commune, Baltics and Finland are at around 50 but are in no rush to join USSR.

You have to incite revolution in those countries for an immediate flip. Democracies don't flip until they have an election and autocracies don't flip without a revolution although this might have changed with the new system.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

It's kind of weird Huntsville is a center for rocket research in that timeline because the whole reason it was one IRL was because von Braun hated the desert. That's classic Turtledove though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TomViolence posted:

I'm holding out for a resistance / espionage DLC sometime in the future to flesh this stuff out in a non-annoying way.

Same. It would make China and the USSR more robust. Also, some technology stealing/claiming feature so the USA and USSR can race to hoover up Axis territory to get tech and the USSR can just shamelessly steal from everyone.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I hope Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera are ministers. :mexico:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

popewiles posted:

Sure is nice Paradox hasn't bothered fixing the bug that's been around since Death or Dishonor's release where a puppeted Yugoslavia can instantly become independent and leave your faction for the Axis.

Today as communist Yugoslavia I instigated a coup in Italy, whom I was at war with, and the communist rebels joined the Allies immediately instead of the Comintern. I was going to give them the northern half of Italy I controlled soon after their emergence but I couldn't, since they were in the Allies.

Country formation, puppet control, occupied territory, and covert actions really need to be overhauled because it always turns into a weird clusterfuck. This is even after they fixed it so that five versions of the country you're moving through don't spontaneously exist like it did with China. In the game I was playing today, there ended up being two communist versions of Germany and I don't really understand how that happened other than Republican Spain and the USSR created them. Even after multiple DLC expansions, much of this game is a mystery. It's not, it's just poorly coded when it comes to those areas.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yalta had probably fired and one was the DDR and the other was Communist West Germany.

Yeah, Yalta did fire but I didn't pay attention to it too much since I didn't get a seat at the table.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
An Italy focused expansion could be cool with new focus trees for Italy, Italian North African colonies form able nations, Ethiopia, remaining Balkan nations, Brazil, and spy/special forces rework because of Skorzeny rescuing Mussolini.

My hope is that they do the rest of Europe, mainly Spain and Finland, Brazil, Turkey, and Thailand soonish.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This came with MtG.

I was talking about focus trees.

They added most the formable nations you could get during that period so I think they're at a good place. I think it's great they went with Zimbabwe for maximum Internet fascist rage too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Still Rhodesia if it's communist and a puppet of a communist Britain though, which is a bit weird.

I didn't know Rhodesia was in, I just saw Zimbabwe and laughed. I usually don't play an African power or pay attention to Africa most games outside of the North African hell war that breaks out sometimes. I should do a South Africa run at some point.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hadn't played since Man the Guns came out and I decided to pick up MtG and see how it was. I knew about the USSR getting stomped but I expected Japan to be moderated by the new fuel mechanic. I played as Mexico, went Trotskyite, and by 44 the USSR had been eliminated, Italy had taken Egypt early on, and Japan had conquered all of the Pacific with some token resistance in Indochina from Free France. The new default is Man in the High Castle.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doublepost: Anyone know what the advantage to Bicycles over horsies is?

Bicycles use less supplies and train faster but are slower than horses. They're kind of a midpoint between traditional cavalry and infantry. All the unit stats are here but they might not be up to date. https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Land_units#Unit_types

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone noticed that if you orchestrate a coup, the rebels don't do very much? I was playing as USSR, kicked off coups in Manchukuo and Turkey and the rebels did nothing. Even after I was arming the Turkish communists and entered the war on their side, the Kemalists were the only Turkish units fighting. In Manchukuo, where I only sent volunteers, the rebels were just sitting there in areas that had had no importance in terms of points or resources. This was before 1.7 and with the noted Allied AI deficiencies, it seems like the AI has been extremely reduced outside of fascist states.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

I have launched a coup in countries in order to help facilitate an easier invasion. This is particularly useful against the USA. Sure, you don't get the territory immediately but you can sort that out after the war.

Yeah, if you can get your party of choice's percentage high enough, you'll rob the country of a good deal of territory and resources.

Hopefully it'll be something they work on in a future DLC. It's kind of weird it's so half-baked because it's been in since launch and sometimes it's the only benefit of going with paths like installing Trotsky in the USSR, who has the ability to cause coups for free after a few early focuses.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SHISHKABOB posted:

So when you corner an enemy army up against a neutral country and cut them off, what would happen in real life? Would the neutral country's army show up and point their guns at the trapped army and make sure they didn't trespass? Would the majority of the trapped army just run away into the neutral country, and probably get captured and imprisoned or something? Just sit there and let themselves get captured because it would be bad diplomacy to go into the neutral country?

Some Chinese Nationalist soldiers evacuated to the International Concession at the end of the Battle of Shanghai but they were arrested and held there for most of the duration of the war. It's not something that usually happened because armies usually evacuated or surrendered before such a scenario happened.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 7, 2019

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

A fire on the mountain mod where John browns raid on Harper's ferry successfully kicks off mass slave uprisings

I think giving John Brown psychic powers on a level higher than Professor Xavier would make him more overpowered than the Posadist mod.

The biggest problem with Kaiserreich is that it's just a bunch of civil wars and regional conflicts that sometimes turn into a world war. Half the time you have to instigate the war too because if you go for a route like democratic Japan, unless someone declares on you, you're pretty much left to your own devices for a number of years without any sense of something coming towards you.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eltoasto posted:

I like that even New Afrika doesn't want Florida.

As a Floridian, I can't blame them. African Americans have suffered enough.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just randomly started a historical game as Germany, I had been trying to use a China strategy I saw and the RNG for the warlords was annoying me, and France declared on me over the Rhineland. I was completely unprepared and Britain jumped in. The communists won the civil war pretty quickly and it ended up with Germany, France, and the USSR against the UK and Commonwealth. It was weird and annoying.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 14, 2019

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I'm so confused. I thought France pretty much never did that wardec on Historical? What is this China strategy you heard about?

As was I and I just stopped because I realized I couldn't do much. The communists curb stomped the French pretty quickly too, which was surprising. I think it's because I didn't choose Rhineland first? The AI will go off the path now if you deviate in the slightest from history but it's not like I choose Oppose Hitler. Usually it will only do that if you go down an alternate history line.

The China strategy was just going all in on bombers instead of fighters, getting artillery, and then subjugating the warlords before Japan invades. It was annoying because the RNG just kept giving me 1-2 relenting while the rest challenged me. The RNG for the warlords is 50/50 and nothing influences it, which is dumb for a lot of reasons.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Italy is really overpowered in the current build. I was trying out the Netherlands bike strategy, I didn't have as many divisions as AAAAA! Real Muenster, but Poland was holding its own, I was grinding down Germany, Switzerland was doing well, and Germany declared on Czechoslovakia and the Czechoslovakians immediately pushed into Germany and were close to Berlin. Italy pushed into France, eventually pushed all the way to Paris, capitulated France, and then Germany just took my flank and capitulated me. I understand that they want to make the Axis stronger so they don't capitulate by 1943-44 in historical but Italy should not be doing that well.

EDIT: I should note I was going down the Lead the Minor Democracies path but I wasn't following AAAAA! Real Muenster's post outside of a 10 width bicycle division with the support load out it had.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 18, 2019

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lum_ posted:

Just force AI Germany to go democratic, WW2 will be Allies+Germany vs Soviets.

That's easy mode though because the USSR is incapable of fighting off a large invasion in the current build.

Germany and Italy are ahistorical industrial powerhouses. Japan should probably have more issues with stability but they are also punching above their weight relative to their historical capabilities.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I agree with this sentiment however Italy *really* needs a good once-over. They are far too powerful. Take some factories away and give them some sort of army debuff that they have to pay-away like the Chinese do, or something, because they are way too organized and effective where they should be absolutely vile.

Gort posted:

I feel this way about France as well. They should have a lot more industry than they currently do, but their actual combat performance should be pretty bad until they've had some combat experience.

This is my sentiment because while I don't think the war should be done in '41, they went a bit too far, especially with Italy.

I think China should be buffed as well or they need to fix the warlords because China should be able to hold out longer until the Allies get pulled it. Usually China is knocked out by the end of '39 unless you give them a lot of lend-lease and max volunteers early on.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agreed! If I remember correctly (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but France actually had a good number of decent tanks at the start of the war, but like...didnt give them all radios. And they were spread around as "Infantry Support Forces" rather than "Armored Spearhead Break Through and Wreck poo poo" forces, so any time these small detachments of tanks encountered Germans armor they fared okay initially, but then the rest of the German armor showed up and they got wrecked.

Right now France has a debuff that effectively means they cannot research Doctrines until they finish their army focus tree, but that has a pretty minimal effect.

France was still very much in the camp that tanks were an infantry support vehicle at the start of the war. Charles de Gaulle was a big proponent of mechanized warfare but nobody was really buying into his theories.

They need to find a way to give the Germans a buff and then a debuff and crippling addiction to Pervitin. It's been argued that one of the reasons why the "blitz" was so effective was because the Germans were wired and weren't resting like the Allies were. Hitler was also on a steady diet of varying drugs too and that should reflect his terrible decision making as the war went on.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 19, 2019

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

from red flood a mod where nobody won wwi

e: also kr is incorporating that other mod

I like their take of "What if Russia was Nationalist China in this timeline?" which is is followed by, "China will also blow up at some point."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

Japan rolled over China super easily in my USSR game. Are they going to throw everything they have at me in the Far East now?

Just an FYI, if you're the USSR, you can spam volunteers to all the warlords and send lend-lease to all of them. Japan will still slam them hard but it lets them hold out until the war widens. It's also possible in the current build for China to push Japan off the continent but it's not guaranteed. Sending attache's to them, as well as doing the same in Spain, can get you a good deal of army xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

'Not a dipshit' and you choose Zhukov? When General Secretary Rokossovsky is right there?

I don't think it's appropriate for a Pole to lead the USSR.

"In Russia, they say I'm a Pole, in Poland they call me Russian".