Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've bought all the other recent Paradox games and really enjoy them. CK2, V2, EU4, Stellaris -- all of them! The only game I never got into was HOI3, which was really complex and impenetrable and didn't really feel like a "game" to me. Oddly enough, I really enjoyed the later, Great War parts of V2, especially setting up my little fellas on the borders and drawing up plans.

Is HOI4 good, fun, bug-free? I wasn't really hyped for it the way I was for Stellaris, but would I enjoy it right now if I enjoyed the combat parts of late V2? Or should I wait for a few more patches to come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Is there a "comet sighted" event?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I decided to go :black101: hard mode playing as the PRC at 1936. Did well the first few months, fought a war against Shanxi and Xibei San Ma and expanded, and then poo poo hit the fan as Japan attacked Nationalist China. They ended up winning because I refused to join the Nationalists in forming a united front against Japan. Instead, I independently justified a war on Japan for the cores in Manchuria. When I declared war, Nationalist China capitulated and now I was surrounded by a sea of Japanese soldiers!

Fortunately, the USSR came to my rescue. I joined the Comintern, and after that some kind of bizarre domino effect occurred in which the Allies were also pulled into the war, as well as the Axis countries.

I guess in this timeline WW2 started over the war in East Asia!

This is brilliant!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm playing as Nationalist China and losing badly, since I'm bad at WW2. Any tips on fighting Japan?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TheDemon posted:

As you might imagine, you literally want to make a bunch of infantry and drown them in your conscripts. That means 10 width infantry, move to 20 width once you have the exp to get there with a template copy, build nothing but infantry weapons and research the poo poo out of them. Push through in weak areas like Manchuko while defending / slowpushing with stacks of 8 (or 4) along the regular front. Guard the coasts heavily too, there will be naval invasions.

I watched a let's play on youtube where he was producing over infantry in batches of 100. That's how ridiculous it gets.

As additions, I would consider artillery and fighters and eventually paratroopers, but you will be making infantry equipment exclusively for a long time.

Okay, cool, I'll try that. :)

I don't know what I did wrong in the previous game, but somehow, despite me starting off with millions of manpower (~5M?) I wound up running out of manpower not long after the war with Japan started. I didn't know China could run out of manpower. :stare:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Thank you too for getting me to notice that I was still on Limited conscription! Now China has 100 M reserves to throw into the Japanese meat grinder! :haw:

It's too bad the USSR gave up and was annexed and partitioned by the Nazis and Japan! Now I'm hosed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Riso posted:

Dude. You are China with 100 million men in reserve. You'll just grind them out.

Yeah I can kinda picture in my head how it's gonna go. I'll steadily push back my borders and then spend the rest of the remaining 4 years of the war guarding said borders and annihilating naval invasions. It's gonna be a slog. :geno:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

World War 2 is never-ending! It's 1950 and I am still fighting hopelessly against Japan, and I still haven't gotten an ending screen. China does not have a good enough navy or enough dockyards to produce a fleet that would absolutely remove Japan's sea dominance, and I cannot seem to land enough troops to properly invade Japan. :(

Nagasaki has been nuked twice and there's no end in sight.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Well, mostly it's a problem of not being able to form a proper front. Since my navy is so crap-rear end -- composed of something like two dozen submarines -- and I don't have enough range on my planes, I don't have much choice but to invade somewhere in Southern Japan. So while I've managed to land dozens of divisions, I can never seem to gain much traction on the Japanese homeland. It craters their organization and cuts off their supply routes, so they just end up in a neverending stalemate while a hornet's nest of highly, high-morale Japanese troops surrounds them from all sides.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Build a naval base in the territory you invade.

:doh: Of course. I didn't know that I could do that!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So I won the Spanish Civil War as Anarchists and I'm loving it! No Pasaran!! I'm really enjoying La Resistance so far, I think they've introduce a ton of neat new mechanics to play with - especially the spy system. I can't wait for a Cold War mod that puts the spy stuff front and center.

Anyway - so I'm supposed to be able to start Anarchist uprisings in other countries, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that! Can someone give me some pointers?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So I've worked up the courage to play as the Soviet Union again, post La Resistance, and... how does Trotsky work now? I used to have a lot of fun doing coups and such with Permanent Revolution, but since the changes in La Resistance Trotsky seems really weak.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

I spent an entire game as USSR trying to orchestrate a single coup in a minor nation and hit the hard cap for stability reduction preventing me from doing so.

The espionage system is pointless and la resistance makes the game worse

Well... gently caress. :( That really sucks and is disappointing!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just got back into this recently, and... so is the USSR getting completely wrecked every single run WAD or what? It seems like the AI always folds once Operation Barbarossa happens. I mean, I'm all for alt-history scenarios, but this is a bit out of hand.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gort posted:

It wouldn't surprise me. The German AI is one of the more solid ones, with only one major issue - sending divisions to West Africa to fight in the colonies they get from Belgium. If the UK AI punished that by raiding the seas between France and the ex-Belgian Congo, that'd be pretty crippling, but the UK AI doesn't do that.

The Soviet AI, last time I looked, had tons of issues, such as these I noticed on the day of Barbarossa in a passive Haiti game:

1. USSR hasn't killed Trotsky yet despite having the "behead the snake" focus, so still have -20% stability and -15% political power gain
2. USSR is running "more oil for the motherland!" propaganda despite having full stocks of fuel
3. USSR has tons of light tanks (15 divisions with 2700 spare tanks as well) but barely any medium tanks (3 divisions with 452 spare tanks)
4. USSR has enough manpower and equipment to train an extra 36 infantry divisions, but isn't training any divisions at all
5. USSR is still on volunteer conscription, probably because they're not training new divisions
6. USSR has fifty-six factories building railway guns
7. USSR has two thousand AT guns it got from the Baltic States, but has no anti-tank gun usage in it's army at all
8. USSR's construction projects are mostly railways (fine) and naval dockyards (not fine)
9. USSR's "area defense" orders include ports and coastlines as well, so we see tons of divisions garrisoning portless coastlines in the middle of nowhere
10. USSR's field marshal selections are weird. They've got Rokossovsky (skill 4) available, but instead they're using Voroshilov and Budyonny (skill 1). Rokossovsky is "cowed by Stalin" but is still almost certainly better, plus there are two empty field marshal slots
11. USSR's tech and production is mismatched. They've got up-to-date AT gun tech but aren't building or using any, but haven't researched any AA gun tech, which they are building and using extensively.

:haw: Alright, well that kind of confirms my suspicions!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They should play a big air raid siren whenever someone drops a nuke.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like naming my railroad guns. :shobon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ardryn posted:

Wouldn't that be like asking if the latest dlc added a human designer?

well get on it pdox

Delicious: +5% manpower attrition when Out of Supply, -10% equipment attrition when Out of Supply.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Vichan posted:

Give us Denmark GUI, you cowards! :argh:

The Levers of Power:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

My incredible cursed Hoi4 ironman run I'm doing to try to learn the game!

W-wait... from these screenshots... are you not placing fronts? Why do you not have a field marshal? What are all these divisions with the ! for no order assigned? Are you manually moving every single division?? :psyduck:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I don't have enough equipment to make infantry, I just call up more men, ask them to wear their personal clothes that look similar enough to the poster on the wall, and then send them unarmed onto the battlefield to improvise weapons from the land itself.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gort posted:

On site procurement, huh Boss?

Praxis.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bremen posted:

Flame tanks apparently have a bit more amphibious attack bonus too.

That's not what games taught me about how elements work!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nonsense, don't believe these fellows, infantry can push, you just need enough of them! :commissar:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ELAN VITAL!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

So, Sweden can create the Imperium of Man now?

There's an Eternal trait?? I feel like this is the first time I've ever learned this was a thing in HOI4.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

And all this in a game where as calculated the US is at 14% equivalent industrial output.

And italy is at 700% but lmao they were never gonna matter

Ooh, what is the source for this figure? I'd love to read a deep-dive article where they compare the real world to HOI4. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Cheers! Thanks a lot, gentlegoon! :tipshat: