Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zaodai posted:

I've honestly never heard anybody call it the War of Northern Aggression outside the context of "so and so probably calls it that because they're a crazy hick!".

I always preferred "The Late Unpleasantness."

Ghetto Prince posted:

They didn't try arming slaves until very late in the war, a month after the capital had been captured and burned. They never saw combat and every slave and officer involved was convinced they were going to be shot in the back if they did. Unsurprisingly, the CSA was still petty enough to decree that any slave conscripted would be considered property and returned at the end of the war.

Yup. Bruce Levine wrote a whole book on the topic (same conclusion; immediately rejected, ultimately too little too late and two weeks before Appomattox):
http://www.amazon.com/Confederate-Emancipation-Southern-Slaves-during/dp/0195315863

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
What's the best way to give a battle plan that is basically "hold the coast against naval invasion?" Defensive line that draws every coastal province?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

You want to fortify the naval bases mainly and sparsely fortify the beaches so that the enemy can't gain a wide landing. If the enemy can't take a naval base from you they can't resupply and they will quickly lose organizational. Notice how paratroopers land with very little org, and quickly gain it up to about 60% and no more if they can't supply.

So individual defensive lines for the naval bases and separately for beaches, or is manual deployment the way to go for coastal defense?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

-Troika- posted:

Okay here is how to kick the poo poo out of China.

You got any tips for how to kick the poo poo out of Japan as China? I'm thinking it's going to really depend on getting the industry and technology route prepped before the bridge incident more than anything else.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SkySteak posted:

I am just curious why it's getting a bit slammed review wise on Steam? Is it just people were used to the previous games and think this one was dumbed down or?

Not enough swastikas and holocaust.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Gort posted:

You can also get by with literally nothing but infantry as China. I didn't build or research support brigades, or any kind of artillery, AA, AT, tanks, or motorised units - when you're that low on resources and research slots just keeping your infantry and industrial tech up-to-date is hard enough.

What was your general strategy, and in particular:

1) Did you go with those crappy 4xinfantry divisions, or design something more normal (10xinfantry, 20 combat width)?

2) Did you keep manual control of the defense, or how were your fronts laid out?

3) Did you just start building military factories with your civilian ones, or do something differe?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

What was the algorithm for determining who gets control of a province again?

I'm China, leader of the Chinese Unified Front, and yet as I push into Siamese territory I'm giving it back to the British Raj?

fake edit: Aha, I see that Siam previously took that territory away from the Raj, so I'm just giving back territory to a co-belligerent. Oh well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Man I want a "general advance" button for fronts where I vastly outnumber defenders.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

A China that is in a faction when Japan declares war should not be booted into a separate united front faction.

Relatedly, if China is fascist (and particularly if in the axis), Japan should maybe not declare war.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Verviticus posted:

i usually have like 10-20k planes by the end of a game. theres really no reason not to put excess production into planes at all times
You have excess production? I'm usually about 75 factories low...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

there was an Event that popped up at some point that had the headline "Franco-British Union" which I clicked through without reading because I thought it was just flavor but after it the UK absorbed all of France

this happened while France was getting hosed up by the Germans, I don't really know what caused it

Almost but not quite happened in our timeline.

quote:

The final "Declaration of union" approved by the British War Cabinet stated that[1]

France and Great Britain shall no longer be two nations, but one Franco-British Union. The constitution of the Union will provide for joint organs of defence, foreign, financial and economic policies. Every citizen of France will enjoy immediately citizenship of Great Britain, every British subject will become a citizen of France.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-British_Union#World_War_II_.281940.29

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Is a coastal frontline order too much to ask for? Ugh.

:same:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

You can use the fallback line order along the coasts for a similar effect if you want a solid line of troops or use the garrison order if you want them to focus on holding ports and cities.

It's not the same.

1) Fallback lines are one-shots; they don't organically adjust like the normal offensive frontline does.

2) You have to draw the fallback lines individually, rather than getting an offensive frontline across an entire border with a single click.

3) At least in my experience, fallback lines will not include all coastal provinces if there is a projection, leaving an open hole for an enemy to do a naval invasion.

4) Garrison just flat didn't do anything useful.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coastlines don't change like frontlines do so they generally don't need to organically adjust unless it's parallel to an active front, in which case just occasionally click edit and drag one end of it a few provinces further down.

I meant, redrawing new lines and falling further back as the invasion breaks out.

True, but often times this is easier anyway.

Maybe for Greater Germany, but not for China.

You can just include the projection by moving your mouse over it as you create the line or if for some reason you're not able to give it a separate 1 province 1 division fallback line of its own.

I have not been able to include the projection in the main line, which is where I want to assign all my troops.

Also really you should want enemies to do naval invasions and land them. It's a great way to easily surround and destroy several enemy units. In you allow the enemy to land and then encircle them, you can outright destroy the units. That's a lot better than just stopping the landing so the enemies retreat back home and still have their forces to try again.

Japan can slam in 20-30 divisions into a naval base pretty quickly if you let them take that first province, which can be very difficult to encircle with garbage Chinese troops.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The Japan AI was also able to put up a fight in the Pacific. I got taken by suprise in my latest US game and the AI was able to destroy about 30 ships in a battle I was unprepared for. Granted I was invited to the Allies in '39 and didn't have my usual fleet prepared but still. They still love trying to invade the Pacific islands with 1 or 2 divisions though... and is still having a hard time dealing with China.

Japan having a hard time dealing with China is historical, though, as long as Japan didn't get kicked completely out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

It's based on the opening sequence of the Patton movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYhHIe_UELM

...it's taken from the speech (speeches) that the opening sequence of the Patton movie is reenacting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton%27s_speech_to_the_Third_Army
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/04/24/war/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Turkey seems to join the Axis after Germany and Italy both have capitulated a lot, too. And I don't mean the cases where the Soviet Union has attacked them -- they are screwed either way if that happens --- but rather unprovoked, where it's basically just asking USSR or Greece to eat them.

This is just a result of Germany finishing the "Befriend Turkey" focus (which is just behind "War with the USSR"), isn't it?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

How do I leave a faction that I lead, again? As China, the war is over, and now it's time to get rid of the PRC, but they are still part of the United Front...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ulmont posted:

How do I leave a faction that I lead, again? As China, the war is over, and now it's time to get rid of the PRC, but they are still part of the United Front...

FYI, this will happen by event. Of course then the PRC will join the Comintern and the Allies won't want to help you as non-democratic so good luck.

EDIT: although probably 5 minutes after the peace the Allies and Comintern will go to war and then the Allies will take you.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 4, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

A few quick notes:

1) To whoever first made the recommendation that you put a heavy tank brigade in your infantry templates, I salute you. It really makes those infantry drat near unstoppable and provides integral hard attack support as well. Mind you, you will never be able to produce enough heavy tanks (I'm experimenting with boosting reliability as high as it will go) no matter how many lines you use.

2) The Mass Assault / Mass Mobilization doctrine is pretty interesting. Even if it is a shorter tree, reducing supply consumption by 10% and out of supply effects by 30% are both pretty great effects.

3) I really wish there was a Fading Sun event like in HOI2. Having to invade the home islands to stop the Chinese-Japanese war after taking Korea is just dumb.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

is there any way to continually improve relations, or will it always shut off after a month or so?

Edit: also any auto-trade settings? So tedious to keep adjusting to have the minimum civil factories devoted to trade.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 9, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I have my factories building mil/mil/mil/civ continually until needed to repair infrastructure. You'll need that extra civ factory for trade to supply the three mil ones.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Eimi posted:

So I can play Germany without being literally Hitler?

This (goon made, IIRC) mod is for you.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701675708&searchtext=taylor

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Somebody walk me through the process of nuking a country using baby words and (if necessary) pictures. I thought it was just a strat bombing checkbox after getting 75% air superiority, but apparently there's more involved than that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Also, the nuke button is located on the province screen at the bottom left instead of being anywhere on the air screen. It's by province so don't just click the state the target is in or you might end up nuking a mountain instead of the city.

This is the part I was missing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Also if you plan to be fighting in China, Africa, east USSR, etc...add logistics support units to decrease supply consumption.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

TheDemon posted:

You can call this exploit-y, I call it Doctrine. Also the cheapest way is Heavy Self-Propelled Anti-Tank, half the number of units as tanks, and sp artillery has a lower hardness/armor while sp AT has the same as the tanks.

You still need to be a major or almost-major to pull this off. I've been able to do it as China but it ends up just eating my production lines.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Yeah. I had it as Poland in time for invading Germany and it helped immensely, mind you, so almost-major is good enough. China seems pointless though as you have unlimited manpower when the main thing you get from adding a hard unit is preserving manpower.

Having the unpierceable (forget the name) modifier just cuts the number of attacks you face in half, which preserves organization as well as manpower.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Is Kaiserreich out yet?

Not yet. It's in progress. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-kaiserreich.942457/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Nationalist China doesn't need - and, indeed, can't really afford - a navy when the IJA is at their doorstep. Why should they be forced to waste research and resources on one?

Right now? Because there's no Fading Sun event and no way to end the war with Japan other than to invade the Home Islands or wait until someone else does. Luckily you can do that with naval bombers and destroyers.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

It can be really, really slow though.

-90% if you have nothing for a line, I think.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Magni posted:

They went from occupied territory straight to full sovereignity IIRC.

Sort of (looks like there was loosening control along the way), but in 1952 and 1955. So there should be something in place from 1945-on.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Surprised Japan had any units left to defend - in all my play throughs (mostly China) the entire force is gone by that point.

But what worked really well for me was having 4-5 different generals planning 10 division invasions simultaneously so that I could keep continuous combat and not give them time to regain org.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I've never gotten the hang of is military factory assignments. Is it just something I need to learn to play by ear?

You want everything assigned evenly so you can replace losses and build new troops. So as you get new factories look at what you are producing less of (longest shortage in days) and assign there, basically.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Eh, your divisions don't require an even amount of resources though. Generally I just play it by ear. Are you producing goods faster than you're training divisions? Either scale up division training or shift your factories over to produce more planes. Noticing that one resource is filling up slower than the rest? Make adjustments. It requires a bit of micromanaging, but if you just produce everything evenly you're going to end up stockpiling some resources you'll never use.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say you require an even amount of factories assigned. I tend to end up with something like a full line of infantry equipment to a 1/3 line of artillery, 1/3 line of motorized, 2/3 line of support equipment, and 2 full lines of heavy tank destroyers.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Yeah, basically until the enemy has no airforce, you haven't build enough fighters yet. (then build 400 more per air zone you've got land combat in)

I'll be honest, I have a tendency to completely ignore air war until I need to start doing naval invasions (which make the Pacific war such a slog).

I wish there was a way to see how many days of attrition etc I had stockpiled though, like the days of production low, to even out ongoing production.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BBJoey posted:

so is kaiserreich going to be a thing for hoi4?

Yes. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-kaiserreich.942457/unread

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BBJoey posted:

cool, is there any indication of it's going to be a total mess like DH or do they actually have some QA and project management this time?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't think Kaiserreich, being just a mod, has anything other than internal organization / prioritization / etc.

...the first version of the HOI4 version is supposed to be a straight port of the last DH one, though, so that probably won't go off the rails too bad.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BBJoey posted:

if DH kaiserreich is your definition of on the rails then I hesitate to ask what off the rails looks like. its internals are an absolute mess and it's fairly obvious that the most planning that went on was "pick your pet nation and go hog wild". I know it's an amateur production but it'd be nice if they learnt from the past and tried to put a more coherent structure to things.

Re: off the rails: Magna Mundi and East versus West are my baselines.

Re: DH Kaiserreich: That's a great mod, whether or not there was a coherent structure in place or not. I've had more fun with it than with vanilla HOI2 or DH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

There's no way to boot someone out of my faction (Axis), is there? I've just realized that El Salvador and Uruguay flipped back to Democratic when I wasn't looking, and now seem to have enough national focus bonuses that I can't push them back to fascist. RIP New World Order attempt (which sucks, because playing HOI4 to 1951 is a hell of a slog).