Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Anyone have some experience with India? I've just started a game but have almost no industry, a small badly equipped army and quite a lot to do to fix that. It also doesn't look like the focus tree fixes that much? I certainly can't see a lot of IC in it especially if I don't want to be a colony forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

There isn't a lot of IC in the Indian tree, but take what you can get, including the stuff that sets back your independence gauge (and sooner or later, the UK will do the focus that gives you a few free factories). Don't worry about staying a colony, you'll gain your independence through war contribution, even if you don't take Two-Nation Theory (don't take Two-Nation Theory, also be warned that taking the Quit India Movement focus will cause terrorists to blow up a couple of factories). The war will be painful to start with, because you can't go above volunteer army until you get independent, but if you train a decent infantry army (definitely use line artillery, it'll help your manpower issues) you can grind down the Japanese in mainland Asia, win the Africa campaign for the Allies and then help out in Europe.

Manpower issues seem a bit ahistorical since India had the world's largest volunteer army at 2.5 million. Since the Soviet union only got to 11 million and indias IC is limited I don't see why that should be a problem

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

One thing the axis definitely shouldn't do is declare war on the USSR, then 2 months later (attempt to) invade the low countries. They can barely beat Belgium and the Netherlands if they try that, let alone France

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

You turned off historical focused and then complained that shut went crazy. You were wrong.

The problem isn't that the ai is doing weird stuff with focuses off, it's that there don't seem to be any checks that starting a war is even vaguely a good idea

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Like eu4 is completely ahistorical and the ai doesn't do anything that stupid

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I hope they bring in some performance improvements like they did for eu iv as well. eu is now way faster than it was at launch, but hoi chugs pretty badly on the new macbook pros

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Yeah France historical works well and provides a fun playthrough

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

On historical, I kicked Japan off the mainland as NatChi and accepted peace in about 1940. I then justified and invaded Korea, thinking it would be easy. Halfway down the peninsula they joined the allies and I'm now at war with half the world. At first I was annoyed but actually it'll make the rest of the game much more fun. Is it working as intended though?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tried republican Spain again but it's still really hard, I always got mountaineers from Russia but the Germans send tanks. Also they fixed the disband/train then deploy exploit.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

As France I normally abandon Luxembourg but send some divisions to support Belgium and the Netherlands (with a fallback line on the extended maginot.) they both have an OK number of divisions so keeping them alive as long as possible is a good force multiplier, + you can micro to try and prevent their troops being encircled.

Has anyone tried invading Germany across the maginot line as soon as war breaks out? I've read some people claim that historically it might have worked well but am not sure if it would work in hoi4

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sounds like a fun thing to try

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just finished a campaign as republican Spain (I think on historical, not sure thoigh). Germany was defeated in early 1942, mostly by the USSR and the Pyrénées, but in the peace conference Hitler was left in charge of the rump state. They then got the Germany splits Poland event and the USSR gave a disconnected half of Poland to the country it had just defeated.

The USA then declared on Germany, at which point I quit.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

spectralent posted:

The best thing to do is to leave a gap in the north just above the communists so that all of the IJA eagerly pushes into the gobi desert to capture vast swathes of infra 2 territory, haemmorage equipment, and then get encircled when their garrison in the inner mongolia corridor is running low on rifles.

Yeah I did this by accident and it was suddenly really easy after they sent half their divisions to conquer some desert, connected by a three province wide snake

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm playing on historical and have managed to stall germanys invasion of Belgium as the UK. Will be interesting to see if the Ai is smart enough to delay barbarossa until it has cleared up the western front (possibly with help from axis spain

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

spectralent posted:

There's a method of strongarming the warlords in one of the NF options; you just demand they all submit and if your army is bigger than theirs by enough they'll cave. Then you integrate their armies and administration and can unify the country. The communists will never do this; you have to invade them.

I tried invading the communists once and it was a really miserable experience. It's probably best to do it as soon as possible after the war with japan before they've had a chance to recover

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Was specifically told that involving the Klan was a bridge too far. Confederates and Silver Shirts still in.

Please give the confederates huge maluses if they are selected by the player

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I've explained this to you like twice already! You go down the Habsburg branch of the tree while at the same time converting to fascism via adviser. Then you join the Axis. Finish the Austria-Hungary focus. Then, around early 1938, stop doing focuses until you see Germany doing Army Innovations II. The next one will be Demand Sudetenland. If you time it so that you finish your Protect Czechoslovakia focus while Germany is still working on Demand Sudetenland, you get like a 90% chance of completely annexing Czechoslovakia. Then you'll get the event where Germany demands the Sudetenland, which you refuse. Germany will get a CB on you, but since you're in their faction they can't declare war on you.

From there you basically have free reign to expand into the Balkans. The Allies won't be able to reach you by land without going through Germany or Italy, so you're basically safe from attack aside from a weak attempt at a naval invasion every now and then. Don't bother going for Poland, because the USSR will take most of what you occupy by event. Then you just wait for Hitler to backstab Stalin and then go ham.

If you don't go fascist or join the axis, but otherwise do the same until the sudentland bit you get to have a fun war against Germany. I did it without historical focuses, I suspect it would be harder with them since in mine Romania started the cordon sanitaire and invited me (although remember that Russia might eventually declare on them).

The non-historical focus ai actually worked really well that game

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Imo it would be cool to have a canonical "balanced" ai focus order as well as the current historical and random ones. One where USA always splits, Germany does sensible invasion sequencing etc. At the moment if literally anything goes wrong for Germany before it invades France a human UK or France player can easily stop them just by keeping the low countries (and their troops) alive.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

E: oops

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lum_ posted:

clearly someone hates fun, that's pretty much the whole POINT of him being in the mod

but let's continue to have Kerensky remaining in power in Russia until 1936 at which point he's replaced by a wacky Not-Hitler Savinkov, sure

I don't get this, Sternberg deciding he was the second incarnation of ghengis Khan sounds entirely in character.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

The key to beating Japan as any of the China's is remembering this:

The Japanese war economy is bust, given enough time AI Japan will lose its starting advantage.

Now how you go about taking advantage of this can vary but remembering this is always the key to winning. You will eventually push ahead.

The cheesy trick is to let them snake along your northern border all the way into the desert then encircle half their army

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fuf posted:

I get an urge to play HOI4 but I can never decide who to play. I kind of just want to pick a random country and know that there will be some roughly equivalent neighbours to have fun wars with.

Try playing as France, they've got the most fun and balanced campaign at the moment imo (despite the focus tree being kind of lame)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

One of the alt-history scenarios that I was most interested in going into the game was "what if the allies had their poo poo together earlier" but so far it doesn't seem to matter. No matter what strategies, defensive alliances, or focus paths I take Germany steamrolls everyone with its practically limitless military.

As France even when I had them contained on the Maginot line (which I had extended to the Benelux) they still broke through eventually because despite my invasion they easily crushed Poland and were able to throw everything they had at me.

It doesn't help that France starts with only 6 loving military factories lmfao loving Canada starts with only one less.

The trick with France is to either invade asap, or if you go a more historical route reinforce the low countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

TNO is great, I've been bringing the joy of anarchism to central Siberia, liberating the oppressors of all their obligations, and just generally making my corner of the world a better place.