Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there a discord for hoi4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Koesj posted:

gently caress it I pulled the trigger on the Field Marshall Edition with the GMG coupon since I've got the money now now now and would probably end up with all the DLC anyway.

But if you just didn't spend that money you'd have that money when the content came out and you'd be able to acertain if it was garbage?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rookersh posted:

It's $50 worth of DLC according to Paradox themselves. ( not counting the tank packs, the two "Expansions" they want to release that are presumably $25ish a piece and thus quite large ).

With the deal, you can get it for $17 along with the game.

Who the gently caress cares if it's good. It'll be 2020 before those DLC packs go on sale combined to $17 even with Paradox's love of sales. At a certain point that's such a good price unless the game is terrible it's worth it. Even if only one is good, and the other is garbage, you are still getting both for the price that one would be on sale 6 months after it came out.

You have literally no idea what those dlcs are supposed to be.

They could be a the loving sounds of brazil and a unit pack for Tibet. Or they could be terrible ideas that make the game worse.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There we go. I knew we were missing the grognards like we had pre sterllaris.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Once the t-34 tank came out German and Soviet tanks were pretty on par. Judicious use of sloped armor made Soviet tanks tanks have similar toughness despite having less actual armor and weaker engines.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

In hoi 3 I just played the Spanish civil war over and over and never actually played a full ww2 campaign.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hoi 4 is a very moddable game. You can easily add assault guns.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Guys we've only had 4 or 5 pages on assault guns. I need more.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Does anyone know when the streaming embargo is up?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So there's a limit on democracies declaring wars until world tension gets high enough. And faction members inherit the limits of their faction leaders. But democratic factions can avoid the limits pretty much entirely by finding a communist or fascist country to pump up WT then join the Democrat faction and let the democratic faction declare war.

See Prussian prince's multiplayer stream where communist France did this.

There needs to be a bad boy or something that prevents communist or fascist countries that have contributed to raising world tension from joining democratic factions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This looks so much more together than sterllaris.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sarmhan posted:

Didn't he take a massive manpower hit for doing it like that though?

He lost 500k manpower fighting romania and was super smug about it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Drone posted:

1 being "not concerned at all, game is awesome" and 10 being "game is literally unplayable and won't even boot up"? I'm at around a 3 or 4. It all depends on how the AI seems to do.

Using that scale. While I was like a 7-8 for sterllaris before launch. I'm prob a 2-3 for hoi 4.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

This is odd, cause in HoI 3 the major nations sure reacted if Adolfo Hitlerez suddenly started annexing minor nations left and right. What he is doing here would have provoked a reaction from other nations in HoI 3 long ago.

To be fair he was on historic mode. So the ai isn't nearly as likely to respond to his crazy poo poo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

That's why the US directly controlled & effectively owned the Panama Canal Zone until 1979.

Doesn't historical mode only affect national focus choices? That doesn't seem like it'd be relevant.

USA couldn't take take pax americana until really late because of historic mode which prevented it from intervening.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

It seems weird that the US wouldn't just start with that doctrine since it was created by James Monroe in 1823.

E: Well I guess that technically would only apply if Europe came over.

It starts with Monroe doctrine. Every American country starts protected by the USA. Problem is it is a special protection that only applies to attacks be non Americans. It takes national focii to convert them into normal protections

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Watching marborzir exercise his whole polish army when he's got less than 50% of the equipment he needs in 1938 is really frustrating.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

What are the downsides of doing this? He needs the army exp to add arti battalions to his division. Is there some sort of penalty?

He basically throwing guns into a pyre so that the gods will grant him army experience.

6% attrition while exercising.

He'd also have been better off building new divisions rather than doubling the size of his current ones since training while building doesn't suffer attrition.

The art additions were fine but adding extra columns of inf was bad.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 6, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Podcat why did you break support for pen input. It's worked in every previous game.

Now my carpel tunnel will keep me from playing. :(

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tinkle posted:

Can someone give a breakdown of differences in adding artillery as a support battalion and just adding it to the front line. Adding them to the frontline just seems flat out better at the cost of more supplies. I have to imagine having artillery in support ALWAYS gives the bonuses as opposed of having them on the front line and finding space to operate in the "front width"?

Support brigades can't slow down their division. So armor or mech divisions should have support art as opposed to line art. Though spg line divisions are fine.

There are also doctrines that improve line art or support art.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ddrjake actually had 4 Germanies in his game at the same time.

West Germany
East Germany
Democratic republic of Deuchland (DDR)
German Reich (AKA Hitler's Germany)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For those watching the hoi 4 multiplier stream from paradox. Is Arumba really this much of a prick?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Ah yeah, seems about right. The XP isn't very useful then, medium tanks it is.

So how do you kick off the winter war as USSR? I can't see a national focus that deals with it.

Keep the super trained lights around and throw them in fights along with the mediums that are actually punching through. Use the lights to exploit the hole to close a pocket or try to overrun the retreating units.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Decrepus posted:

When you assign a fighter to a Squadron it takes a certain amount of manpower presumably representing the supporting crew. 20 for a fighter and higher for bombers. When they are shot down do you lose all of it?

Yes.

The crew literally hang onto the planes like gremlins while in combat.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Jesus, the ability to use your vassels' manpower to make divisions is powerful.

Netherlands has the ability to spit out 100 divisions before the war starts easily. Japan has unlimited manpower once they start cutting into China and transfer control of some states to their Chinese vassals, and if they win the war they are stronger than the Soviets easily.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TheDemon posted:

Naval bombers on carriers are given no mission by default and if they do not have a mission, will always participate in their carrier's combats. In addition, during combat they can fly three times a day whereas land based naval bombers can fly once. So they are the equivalent of 100% coverage, 100% chance to find ships, 300% sortie numbers, ignores air superiority.

Jesus, I guess that kinda makes sense given their obscenely priced airfields.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gort posted:

Yeah, join the Comintern, fortify the Pyrenees, and draw troops away from the Eastern Front for the USSR. You might even do well and end up conquering France.

To be honest, Spain's so production-starved I wouldn't go beyond a shitload of 7 inf/2 arty divisions and fighter planes. I'd also recommend building a line of level 1 forts along your border with France. The first level of forts is effective and cheap as chips.

There's also a couple of non-mountain provinces along the coasts that you should really fort up far harder. And include engineers in your divisions for that delicious dig-in bonus.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if anyone is working on a 1984 mod. It feels like to me that you honestly could get the world into an equilibrium wherein the war can never end.

Someone in the goon map games discord is doing just that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Transmetropolitan posted:

Army question: is it better to have pure motorized/mechanized/armored division armies?

I tried mixing armored divisions with infantry/artillery forces but so far I have needed to micromanage the armored ones to get their full offensive benefit - the automatic front line feature helps a lot to distribute their strength, but I haven't seen any additional benefit in terms of capitalizing the motorized/armored advantage when using it.

If you have a really small amount of manpower it can be good at conserving what little you have. However it requires a lot of poduction to output the same amount of guys.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

i loving love that australia can single handedly sink the entire kido butai and clean up the japanese naval presence entirely and loving britain and the US still get all the warscore. fuckinnnnn.. nah mate not on

funnily enough, navy contributes exactly 0 to the warscore, except for a tiny amount for bombing damage if you are using carriers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pje5ROe5Y_w

I haven't played this game in a few patches but is this still the best (or at least, a surprisingly useful) naval strategy, or did they make it so that you have to actually build other ships now?

Carriers will obliterate destroyers before they can get in range.

Honestly this is true of any ship v. carrier.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Democrazy posted:

I think that strategic bombing is a ripe place for an expansion, with the ability to flesh out bombers, infrastructure/factory disruptions and repair, and anti-bomber measures taken. It could really make the air war against Germany/Japan/Britain more interesting.

Air Power in general needs an overhaul. The interface is clunky. You get absolutely no warscore out of your contributions except for strategic bombing. Naval bombing, air superiority, and close air support contribute nothing to your score (same thing with Naval power in general).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I feel like the best scenerio mod so far is apres moi, le deluge.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Contribute warscore.

There's also a continuous focus anyone can take that give .5 autonomy per day.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Drone posted:

I thought that was only in the opposite direction, for a master to reduce autonomy in its puppets by .5 per day.

There are two continuous focii. One to suppress your vassals autonomy and one to raise your own.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's the best way to crack a level 7 fort? The enemy has 10 divisions there, 7 forts, and 1 division with heavy armor, and I can't seem to make them budge no matter how many divisions attack from both sides.

Close air support to do direct unmitigated damage to the units (and boost your own unit's damage).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

spectralent posted:

The Chinese United Front thing is really weird in general, because it means you can't actually have China as part of the allies.

Though I guess being in-faction doesn't actually do a hell of a lot.

Actually what does being in a faction do? It's a defence for capitulation, I guess, but you can LL to non-factions, get access/basing with non-factions, non-aggression with non-factions...

It could keep them from being annexed if they capitulate .

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah, though Stalin only technically dies if you don't purge at all and take Trotsky

Event text is ambiguous, at least for non-ussr countries whe Trotsky takes over. Stalin could be in a gulog, exile, or dead.

Haven't seen the event from the USSR's side though so maybe it's clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sounds like you should just not play with this guy.