Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
It's a realistic depiction of how strategic bombing worked in ww2 however!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

Even if they release Hitler DLC™ geo-locked, I'm confident that within 48 hours someone will have an unofficial patch in the form of a mod that contains the unlocked graphic file. And the type of people bitching are also probably the kind that can figure out how to install a mod. It's really no big deal and people need to chill the hell out.
I think you misunderstand how paradox interactive are violating my human rights.

By the way does anyone want to help me with my mod to accurately represent the OOB of every SS division ?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Don't forget that they completely redid logistics in a way that's less resource intensive to simulate, easier for the computer to make decisions based on and making everybody freak the gently caress out because why couldn't Hitler build some Speer-sized pseudo-neoclassical monstrosity of a gas tank and fill it with enough fuel in 1936 to last him for the whole war?
Half the fun of the Hearts of Iron games are tracing down who is doing the complaining, and deducing whether or not the complain is viable unless you are doing anything else than playing Germany for all your playthroughs and want the game to appropriately represent the realistic potential of the Third Reich.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

I have one very important question about HoI4: If you play as Germany can you build the utterly impractical and yet awesome super weapons that Germany was working on in WW2? Up to and including the cannon that could fire on England from Europe.

Tank destroyer variants for armoured vehicles are in the game, yes.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I guess I don't understand why they can't use the regular war ensign. I understand that it contains the swastika and some people will be absolutely against anything with a swastika in it, but this is a historical game. If you don't like a historical symbol, don't play a historical game. In my humble opinion, "political correctness" (as long as law permits) should not override historicity when it comes to things like this. If German censorship laws require a different flag, then by all means, let the Germans have a different historical flag just like they have the darkened portraits. If this will not be done (which I realize it won't), then I agree that the edited flag should be scrapped and a different historical flag should be substituted for everyone.

We have something similar going on here in the US with Confederate symbols and monuments from our civil war. As a Civil War historian, this kind of thing really rubs me the wrong way.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
If you have not been on the HoI4 forums I recommend it highly. If for nothing else than the fact that they have enabled the leader portraits as avatars. The amount of forum users who have chosen a forum avatar of a German general and post about the censorship of the game or Paradox's misleading practices is almost 100%

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
:pray: Peronism in this game

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

What do ya'll intend to play first after all the pre-order nerds say whether or not it's good or stellaris'd again?

I'm thinking France, pretty quick and easy to figure things out.

I'm not actually playing the game until I get my realistic extended Heroes of the Anti-Stalinist struggle portrait mod including every single general-level German officer in the war.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I am legally banned from playing Hearts of Iron 4 by a fully licensed medical expert.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
hi friends! are there kugelpanzers in the game?? I think they would fill a particular niche

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

Planning for the mod to start on 1 July 1993.
Please include the greatest Latin American statesman of the modern era then:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

This is where we discuss Sonic 3&Knuckles.

What do you mean Knuckles is only skill 4??? Canceled my preorder

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

Is this going to be a good game or a bad game?

It will be as good a game as the "How many women will play HOI-IV ( and Grand-Strategy ) ?" thread on the official forums.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is it just me or is the mass assault doctrine just not as good as the others? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I don't see why you would pick it or stay on course with it unless you are China and heading into a war almost immediately.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Spiderfist Island posted:

The devs have gone on the record saying that the Mass Mobilization branch is meant to be a stopgap tree to model the early Soviets/Chinese, like the Desperate Defense branch of Mobile Warfare is meant to model late-war German tactics.
I understand that, and the innate desire to replicate such things and find some way to model them. But why would a player want to go down that path? From a gameplay perspective, only people doing a gimmick run are going to pick those over the other, clearly better, final choice for mobile warfare. This is double true if you can just spam doctrinal technology with no seeming penalty and discover full air land battle theory by 1941. The only choice where the lovely German desperate defense choice line would be worth it was if there was a 1944 bookmark and you needed those specific benefits as an axis country on the defence. Otherwise you're either already fully researched the doctrines, effectively captured your goals, or given up and reloaded.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
What a horrible https://www. Honestly it got so bad that it's funny. What are people thinking? At this point just do t even have a stream if you're going to come across as totally unprofessional.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

texasmed posted:

It's an unreleased video game, Generaloberst Archangel. These dudes have jobs that don't involve constantly playing the game. It's fun to see the outcomes of any decisions and in my opinion quite fitting that they were able to get the Soviets puppeted by Sweden where the Paradox offices happen to be located.

Because they're trying to sell a product and it comes across as if they have done no preparation for the stream whatsoever. I don't think anybody would be objecting to the trying out weird things or strange situations if that is what they set out to do. However, it is the stream of the week before release and the two people playing it come across as incompetent in their own game, and more importsntly fail to demonstrate anything new.

I know people will excuse game developers for almost anything but look on it as a demo for any other product and don't tell me it wasn't blatantly mishandled. "lol its a game they're having fun!" is no excuse and you know it.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

I know usually devs do not play a game they make, for months on end, since the focus is on making it. Designers tweak numbers, programmers punch codes, and art toils away at making stuff pretty. And when the day is done, nobody wants to play with their work since you want to disconnect from your job. Surprise surprise the only dev that's good at the game is the one that gets to play it over and over and over daily to find bugs. Shock and awe.
Then don't display the game if that person is not available or have the people who will display the game play the same scenario and country before the stream to get some idea of what to do. If people on twitch chat, who are barely functional people who have had no access to the gsme, can figure out how to play the game better than the people who made it, then it looks like a problem. Nobody is blaming these people for being bad at the game. The problem is that they displayed their product in a very unprofessional way and did not showcase anything in particular. "but Daniel was home with a stuffy nose" is not an excuse at any serious workplace, and it shouldn't be here. I get that a lot of us have already seen other streams and do think that the game will be good, but this WWW was a horrid way to show the game and I just hope sales don't suffer for it. If you showed this stream to someone else who hasn't already preordered or considered buying the game, I very much doubt that they would be convinced.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Dreylad posted:

After Giulino di Mezzegra he doesn't have anywhere else to hang out.

Since departing my physical form I have actually become a lot more mobile.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Largely agree that Quill is better than Arrumba, but the best one has to be DDRjake. Maybe you guys aren't counting him because he's a dev, but his youtube channel is filled with a lot of very hard runs. As far as EU4 goes he kept finding ways to break the game. I assume he will do the same with HOI4.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Does anyone have a link to Arumbas vid? is it on twitch? I can't find it on youtube and I'd like to see someone fail to take Danzig as Germany.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Was anyone else very confused by Peace Conferences? I got to my first one not that long ago and didn't realize when I was annexing nations and when I was liberating them. As the USA, I liberated Germany and Germany had poor relations with me because of my National Focus. Shouldn't that only be for Nazi Germany and not, say, a liberated, pro-USA Germany?
Also if you get a national focus which gives a country drift for an ideology, but then you change ideology, you keep giving the influenced country a drift bonus for your original ideology. This is the sort of stuff which may seem minor but can ruin a playthrough.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Any good mods that make it interesting to play another game before the next big patch? Hankering for some more WW2, but I've kinda outplayed the current state of the game.

Persia Rising adds a ton of specific events to play as Persia, and is quite fun.

Millennium Dawn is another very interesting mid I recommend, for various reasons.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Gort posted:

Start with France. Once you've taken them over, build up your port in Labrador to level 10 and use it to invade the USA.

Once you have the factories of France and the USA, nobody can stop you. Just make sure you annex countries instead of puppeting them or later in the game it'll slow to a crawl whenever you declare war.
France has a larger army and a smaller area to defend than the USA, and they will build up slower because of their bad starting position. I gave Newfoundland and Labrador full ports and good infrastructure and declared war on Canada. You can annex Canada and the USA and still have time to go for France before Germany declares war on Western Europe.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Maybe this needs a hotfix or something but I am not seeing a dlc's worth of content here. It's certainly more than a patch but it isn't a major contribution.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
British Malaya has been added to the game (a cool and interesting country to play given its location and very limited resources). It has absolutely the bare minimum in terms of unique flavor, it even has one of those generic leaders, essentially, it only has a unique flag. It also lacks any ideas, using the default ones for minors. At that point, why include this country in the game? It is a minor cosmetic change essentially to play a hollowed-out experience. I'm usually quite supportive of Pdox as they put out some great stuff, but this DLC and some of the questionable decisions in Stellaris I'm beginning to doubt.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Also Germany can't grab it all by occupying Amsterdam and having Holland capitulate.
This is basically the only thing these new countries solve, so it limits gimmick Germany plays. That being said, people who use those game-breaking strategies will break the game anyways. My point is if this colony revamp is meant to be part of an effort thats coupled with a big patch and a paid-for DLC, they could have at least put in unique looking heads of states and developed national focus trees. Why is Portuguese East Africa, for example, not in the game? If all you are going to do is a palette swap with a new flag and then just add in generic leaders and idea trees? I don't mean to reduce the effort made by the studio, but to make such a small addition and not others just draws attention at how minor the additions they made are. For example, you can liberate Angola or Egypt, but you can't liberate Nigeria or Sudan (why? the Angola and Egypt spawns are extremely generic). Mods on workshop poo poo out generic countries by the dozen, if we are paying for DLC we really should receive a better product.

In summary, paradox has taken away my ability to feel colonial nations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

An artist can make about 5 portraits a day. There are 4 ideology leaders per country minimum. So you can do the math on whether it is feasible to do unique leader art for 9 new countries, let alone more than that (and that artist isn't a leader portrait artists, he is also the tech icon artist, the focus icon artist, the national spirit icon artist, the general portrait artist, the flags artist and the tech company logo artist). And that is not even getting into the problems in historical research, since a lot of the people who were active in the decolonization movements in the 1960ies are far too young to represented in a game set in the 1940ies. So we have to make up people because there literally are no historical ones.

People seem to believe that National Focus trees are easy and take little time (my favourite statements are the ones that claim that modders can do them in a day). The Indian focus tree took two weeks from design to final implementation, and that included overtime and didn't include historical research or testing. Adding national focus trees for five new nations we decided to add in late October was never going to happen.
I'm not saying that a fully fleshed out nation is an easy thing to do and that a modder can do better. My comments about work equivalent to modding was about just coloring in a new country and putting in generic leaders and ideas, which is what has happened to Angola, Mozambique, Botswana, British Malaya, Dutch East Indies, etc. The portrait paintings was a decision made by the studio when using photographs would have been totally acceptable, if resources are limited on that frontier its because either not enough resources were assigned or because the task is too big. Having portraits was not a necessity mechanically for gameplay. While I understand the constraints, one can also recognise that there might be an issue with having 1 artist be the tech icon artist, focus icon artist, national spirit icon artist, general portrait artist, flags artist, and the tech company logo artist.

My gripe with "Together for Victory" is that this is a paid DLC (retailing for 15USD at launch) who's principal mechanic (the Autonomy system) is used by five countries that are properly detailed, and then by a bunch of other releasable countries that you're clearly not really supposed to play as, because there's nothing for them.

For example, I loaded in as Egypt to check out the achievement to secure independence. You start with 1 factory, generic leaders, generic idea tree, and 2 oil (of which you have to export 1). Absolutely nothing else. It is incredibly boring to play (mechanically and from a flavor perspective), as all you can do is wait for focuses to give you some factories and then spam the autonomy permafocus. As a kicker, 61% of Egypt seems to be liberal and democratic, much in line with real life.

Maybe the DLC needed more time, currently it feels devoid of much of anything and if I had paid 15USD for this straight-up I'd be demanding a refund. I paid extra for the better version prior to release to show my support for Pdox and I stand by that purchase, because I do ultimately believe that 3 more DLCs from now its going to be a great game, but I would be lying if I'm not disappointed by this showing.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

Just a bit into my "One Empire" and "New World Order" run with all the latest patches. Any hints/tips? So far : I've geared myself toward creating small blitz divisions 3/4 Mobile Infantry and 1/4 tank divisions, backed by planes. I'm keeping the starting british navy as a block to help me dominate until I research better ship and split it a bit more when I feel safe. I plan on invading France ASAP and then turning toward the US one way or the other. That seems right yes? There is only one thing I wonder : will british dominion/colonies break away with the expansion ? I wouldn't mind invading Canada first as a US entry point. If not I might have to go through South America... and Ugh.
Invade the USA as quickly as you can and you basically have the achievements, everything else is just paperwork. I'm sure it can be done by dealing with France and then the rest of Europe, but thats the easy way to do it.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

3/10, next time say Darkest Hour instead

If you do replace Hoi3 with darkest hour his post is 100% right however.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I'm Non-Aligned Sub-Saharan Manchukuo

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Has anyone played a historical route as the Raj? I wanted to do the "Our words are backed with nuclear weapons" achievement (use a nuke while having Cripp's mission done) and so intended to go historical until that point. With the limited manpower available I can field 26 divisions (and not much more less I want to have no reinforcements whatsover, I'm even using field hospitals). After mopping up Ethiopia,Libya and Vichy Syria/Algeria by myself, I put my small army in Burma and waited for Japan to attack.

At which point the Allies abandoned me.

Not a single allied division has showed up to fight in Burma. I have 26 divisions against 100+ Japanese and Co-Prosperity Sphere forces (Japan has subjugated China). I held for a bit behind a river and some forts, but that line has been broken. The situation is absolutely hopeless without any allied forces. Has anyone had this experience as well? If so how have you gone around it?

Right now the only solution seems to restart and make sure there is an Indian version of the Maginot on the Chinese/Siamese border prior to war.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

While that is a fair argument to make against valorizing the French state, the surrender monkey meme is about the French people. More importantly in this case, the Germans were literally the Nazis at this point in history - a modern German, by virtue of being the heir to that legacy, is essentially embracing it when they mock the victims of their historical crimes.
Just going to add some emphasis in case anyone scrolled by this post, which rather effectively addresses all issues involved.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think mining and the like were very well developed in Africa until the Cold War. Stuff like rubber, yes, but not metals and minerals.

While this is true (also true for parts of Latin America, for example, where there was almost no development) the fact that the game doesn't allow you to explore and exploit resources (that exist irl) is frustrating. This is a game that doesn't have a problem with Bulgarian European communist hegemony shock divisions paradropping into Mumbai, but if you want to develop your own mineral deposits as Bolivia you're out of luck. Which scenario is more realistic and likely to happen? I understand that the low levels of resources available outside of industrialised nations probably not only represents ease of access and level of investment, but also things like systematic corruption and mismanagement. Considering you can turn Nazi Germany democratic playing vanilla, however, I think that there is margin to represent institutional change and economic reform in smaller nations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
No, in the sense that it does not register that you are the one who is influencing their politics. You can completely infiltrate their political system and agitate for fascism/communism/allies as a third power and the ai will happily join the German/USSR/UK faction. Usually if they join your faction it is through events, or because they have negative modifiers on the other alliance leaders. However, your investment in political points doesn't give your faction any bonuses to join for that specific country (even though it really should).

e: this is one of the reasons why I think KR has 30 different political identifications, but it doesn't really solve the problem either and it makes alliances hard to form within your own political sphere too

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I'm the sole phone in all of France.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I would play the strategic layer of Wolfenstein.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
In terms of gameplay use there really should be a more elegant solution than what is in place now. Having to upgrade your divisions one by one by changing their equipment template is exactly the sort of annoying micromanagement that hoi4 was supposed to get rid of. Perhaps different types of tanks could be used, but the division incurs some sort of penalty. No division in real life ever had a perfect alignment between their stated equipment paper strength and their actual stocks, yet in hoi4 my divisions, unless they have just immediately finished a battle or have been sent by the ai to hike through the Gobi, are in perfect parade review condition.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
If you can fort up your entire border to level 10 you probably can just sit there and wait for the AI to slaughter itself on your pillboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Work in extreme progress

It's me, alien clone Trotsky