Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Has there been any dlc news for the cyoa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Groogy posted:

e: Heck I had a bug where I caused the AI to design divisions that looked like infantry divisions but with battleships in them because they are so freakishly powerful (and their land IC cost is basically zero since they have a different cost so the AI went well that is a no brainer obviously I am gonna build that)

loving lol at the idea of a battleship ploughing its way across the polish country side that doesn't need to be paid because boats don't work on land

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rookersh posted:

And this is now probably the spergiest thing I've ever written down.

yeah

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

The modding stream was pretty helpful.

i'm the shadow president of the rest of the world

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

the niggerstomper58 of map games

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I meant the other one(I should have specified), but I didn't know about that one either, so thanks!

Oh he was a corporal in the Polish army. Also, a bear.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
someone tell me how on earth you're supposed to penetrate the nightmare that is "getting your planes to do things"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Is it just me or is the air interface kind of confusing and hard to work with?

No it's a loving nightmare.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SkySteak posted:

So how has the game turned out. Is the game good on its own or is this another potential 'Needs 5 patches and DLC'? I really hope we don't have a repeat Stellaris in that sense. Beyond that though is the game worth picking up if you enjoyed HoI2/Darkest Hour/Arsenal of Democracy? Also is the AI really bad as people describe it? Like it looks like a really interesting game but between what I've heard and the stream review score I am not quite sure if I want to make the jump to get it.

It's good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Do air losses seem like they need to be toned down to anyone else? As Canada again, I moved 400 Hurricanes I'd carefully built up before the war to the UK, and sent them to help with air superiority over Northern France (which seemed reasonably evenly matched in the air prior).

They all were shot down in like a week. As a minor it'll take like years to recoup that.

Air units default to the "fight until the very last man" option, if you dicker around then they won't murder themselves for no good reason.

also i just lost around half my european army to a german encirclement please save me maginot gods.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sylink posted:

Are there any good guides on doing weird poo poo like invading the USA as mexico/screwing around with minor powers?

I saw someone said they annexed sweden/finland as Norway and I have no idea how thats even possible by conquest since you dont have enough men.

Is there a way to peacefully annex states like Germany does as part of its history (anschluss etc)?

Anschluss specifically is a German focus, you pop it and Austria gets an event that says "get annexed y/n" and if they're AI they'll (usually?) say y. There's a couple others like that (Italian occupation of Albania) but I don't think there's a non-focus way to do it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
just realized venice isn't an island in this game. what kind of shameful loving paradox game doesn't have a stupid detached venice. disgusted.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lmao wtf greece

e: this is post peace-conference, by the way

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 10, 2016

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
aahahahhaa. the people's republic of china and the chinese people's republic not only both exist in my game, but they're both being lead by Mao. ahahahaha

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How exactly did that happen? The civil war stalemated and then nationalist China flipped to communism on their own? I feel like they should just join with communist China if that happens.

i puppeted china in the peace settlement, making the CPR, but then someone else decided to release PRC on their own so.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I did it, I saved France as a newbie. Things got real tense real fast a month in when Italy started bursting from down south and took over Provence and Germany declared and took out Belgium in two weeks. Initially when the war first started my plan was to let UK help me defend and maybe even do a little poking while waiting for the US to join and take over. Well, whatever UK did it was not something visible on the French mainlands other than the 400 fighters they send to reinforce Paris and US joined years later so it was up to me and myself to handle Hitler & friends. I was so desperate to contain the northern and southern shrinking borders that I ended up with pretty much 1 division each on the Maginot Line, god bless those frenchmen who fought inside those forts for over a year with no reinforcements.

And now I took over Italy and Germany and plan to look to the east and see how I'm supposed to make Japan surrender without any nukes. Also I still don't know how battle plans work. I make a frontline and sometimes they automatically move around to fill in any holes, other times they do jack poo poo. If I put in multiple non connected frontlines they completely ignore all but one. I set an offensive line but sometimes it says there is no division assigned to it and right clicking to assign divisions to it don't work. I just don't know. I've spend three+ ingame years manually maneuvering every single unit from the start of the war to now where I beaten Italy and Germany.

ctrl+click assigns divisions to commands. why? who knows.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
just got rid of the great depression :stare:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Does the game just end at 1950?

yeah, unless there's a war with 3+ majors in it, in which case the game keeps trucking

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

The way states are doled out after capitulation is really dumb. Case in point:

I had occupied 86% and Spain had 11%, but because Germany marched into Paris before I could get that last French province they get the entire state. They gained control of any state they (or any state that pre-capitulation france) had a single province in.

The worst part is that I can't even give them my provinces in the state that they own, ruining pretty borders forever. :mad:

Obvious answer is clearly go to war with Germany.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Kaiserreich is being ported to HoI4 so maybe hold off on buying HoI2.

e: though I have no idea how long it'll take so

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The Number One Thing I Want is for, at some point, the game to go "hmm you know I think this "German-Yugoslavian war" has gotten a little big" and start calling it WW2.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

How do you manage manpower as democratic france? Really not going to stave off anyone when I can only put out ~70 divisions compared to the 200 each of italy, germany, and nationalist spain.

1) Build forts on the belgium/alpine front
2) Hope Republican Spain wins
3) Squat on your defensive line and wait for Stalin to get off his rear end

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

I want to share this because it's taken so much work just to get here. But it works, it works!

Edit: Ofaloaf, I dug through the ideas files and what you have there SHOULD work. Maybe try removing the do_effect and ai_will_do declarations?

I'm the ghost of Osama Bin Laden looking lovingly at 9/11.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
there's no unique event for taking london as germany :(

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

There is. Looks like it's just got, well, a rather boneheaded bug.

code:
# The Fall of London (Germany)
news_event = {
	id = news.102
	title = news.102.t
	desc = news.102.d
	picture = GFX_news_event_soldiers_marching

major = yes

trigger = {
		126 = { is_controlled_by = GER }
		126 = { is_owned_by = FRA }
		GER = { has_war_with = FRA }
		NOT = { has_global_flag = fall_of_london_ger }
	}
etc
Province 126 is London. They copied over a little too much from the Fall of Paris event. The Italian version works, though. (They destroy Big Ben.)

ahahaa, thanks, i knew that felt like a crazy oversight

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Man, conquering Russia is a chore. Im nearing the Urals and Russia isn't even close to surrendering. Meanwhile Germany is off loving declaring war on Iran and Spain.

I'm guessing you're Japan? Most of Russias really big victory points (St Petersberg, Moscow, Kiev, Sevastopol) are all west of the Urals so.

also someone tell me how to make a good navy because i'm tired of just getting hosed hard by everyone else who has thought of boats

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Verviticus posted:

world tension gain from peace conf. seems to only exist to make early game wars more punishing. i dont think there's any way to win WW2 and reduce world tension

"tense" seems like a pretty good way to describe the cold war, yeah.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy God countries shouldn't be allowed to become majors in the middle of the war. like why on earth do i need to get canada to capitulate as well now.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
also someone tell me how to get the states to captiulate :(

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Certain provinces in your enemy's territory are worth victory points, mainly capitals but some have little dots that are worth 1 or 2 points. You need to control a percentage of your opponent's victory points higher than their national unity percentage. Once you do they'll capitulate pretty quickly.

THE states not "states"

Vengarr posted:

Troops on the White House lawn.

Even nuking them 100 times won't do it, you need boots on the ground.

exactly what i didn't want to hear :(

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy poo poo you can get new ships to deploy into your fleets, owns.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tried doing the Trotsky thing but instead fought that civil war with the opposition at max strength. At least Germany didn't backstab me, I got a lot of XP, and it unlocked the rest of the purge chain, so 5 research slots here I come!

Also I read somewhere that Trotsky gives your country -40% production, what the gently caress?

How do I spend Air XP, by the way?

Making new airplane designs, same way you spend naval XP.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
So if you're fascist and justify a wargoal on someone (maybe you don't have to be fascist for this) and then don't declare war before it expires then you get -3% national unity permanently.

i wish i had known this as fascist france before i justified war goals on all of europe. hello 20% national unity it is so nice to meet you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

It's really annoying because guarantees are way too cheap and don't require upkeep. Looking at you here GB.

yeah, GB is the ultimate fascist cockblocker. makes sense though, i guess.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TheDemon posted:

Guarantees are unfortunately necessary to stop fascist and communist from running over everyone with wars though. Would be nice if they weren't quite so spammable, but they are definitely very necessary.

It does bug me a little though that Germany gets to pick on all these minors around him, but if I can't roll over Greece as Italy or the Lowlands as France without getting the big show on the road.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Is there a bug with victory points? I annexed the UK in my first war as Germany, then they joined the US-German war and they're the only state left and it says they still have 95% of their victory points, but all they have left is some minor pacific islands?

Yeah, all those pacific islands they have are their victory points, because those are the only states they own.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lol vancouver is worth more VP than toronto, wtf

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

verbal enema posted:

when u have a horse guy unit train the horse doesnt train i'd like to horse to prance about

its just some dickhead doing jumping jacks and pushups by the horse horses need training too

Make the horse do jumping jacks too

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Beat the Nazis as Stalin while running a 90K infantry equipment deficit. Don't need no guns just bury them under some corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lol, France on veteran only loses PP