Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

slavatuvs posted:

Just pointing out that the Polish DLC comes with the game for free, and whenever you buy it.

Yeah, they've said this a bunch of times but it might have gotten lost since it was announced alongside the preorder bonuses-- it's free now and it's free if you buy the game later on. The only reason it's a separate DLC instead of just part of the basegame is because they started working on it separately when they thought HoI IV was coming out much sooner, and had it done by the release date because of the delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
God, a Between the Seas faction Poland game sounds fun as hell, except I know I'll never, ever be good enough at HoI to pull it off. :v:

edit: Also, I wonder what other nations might get minor DLCs like this. I feel like China probably deserves a whole expansion on a larger scale than this to flesh it out, so maybe Canada and Australia? The Netherlands? Spain?

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 20, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

it's a copy/paste from the official forums

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

If you have not been on the HoI4 forums I recommend it highly. If for nothing else than the fact that they have enabled the leader portraits as avatars. The amount of forum users who have chosen a forum avatar of a German general and post about the censorship of the game or Paradox's misleading practices is almost 100%

My own personal discomfort notwithstanding, there's nothing wrong with somebody deciding to play as Germany if that's something they're okay with, since there are many different ways to engage with games about history, all of them valid.

If you're actually using a portrait of a Nazi general in full SS regalia as your avatar though you're probably a creep.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Of course one of the mod ideas that seems to be getting the most community interest is one that adds in the CSA.

On the bright side that opens the possibility for a US player to reenact Sherman's march with Sherman tanks, although that's probably not what the modders had in mind.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Groogy posted:

You know how to mod right? Be first and create a mod where that is the point. Then watch the forum / workshop burns.

tbh that might be a pretty fun practice mod to learn the ropes on, since I'd only need to add one new tag, a few events, and give the Americans General Sherman.

EDIT:

Drone posted:

I thought it was just a map that someone put together as an art piece? Was there actually fiction behind this?

Edit: also why is Italy neutral in this version of WW1 :psyduck:

The map says 1914, and Italy didn't enter the war until May 1915.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 20, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

quote is not edit

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

You have literally no idea what those dlcs are supposed to be.

They could be a the loving sounds of brazil and a unit pack for Tibet. Or they could be terrible ideas that make the game worse.

I mean I'm still extremely dubious about preordering things without even knowing anything about them, but they've said that the pass is for full-scale expansions, not just content packs.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The wiki now has a list of commanders. Everyone on the forums is losing their mind over who's included and who's left out and what their skills are, and I'm just sitting here like, thank God, minors only being expected to have like 2-4ish leaders will really reduce modding overhead.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ArchangeI posted:

Looking forward to the many great mods we will see, like this one: http://steamcommunity.com/app/394360/discussions/0/364042703863682702/

:yikes:

The Paradox community is... pretty bad.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ExtraNoise posted:

Continued work on the modern mod, US holiday special edition. I have no idea if HoI4 has an election system in place (probably not) or if I can get away with just using events (please please please include a way to change leader portraits, Paradox) but I went ahead with creating the potential portraits for the United States presidents.

In streams we've seen the US run by republicans, so it seems easily possible.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Tuskin38 posted:

People are really going to town on the wiki.

I'm guessing either devs, or Paradox gave approval to beta testers.

Yeah, if you look in the page histories a lot of information is being imported from the beta wiki-- presumably because the wiki will be linked to the in-game help system, so, well, it should probably have information about the game by launch day.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ArchangeI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPaY2Zba58

Some hosed up poo poo is what happens.

Well that seems like a pretty typical Axis victory scenario and oh my god what is happening

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

nessin posted:

2) Hopefully you can turn off AI invasions, and then we can go back to scripted events. This was a problem in HoI3 that (it's been a while) I thought had been at least partially solved but appears to be back in full force for HoI4. I'm not a subscriber to the historical perspective that a large invasion needs D-Day levels of planning (see North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Pacific) and it shouldn't be unexpected to see a random landing or two to see about getting an established foothold, but it's plainly hosed up in the current form.

Making invasions scripted events would cause everything to break in the event history goes off the rails, which happens quite frequently because HoI 4 is (by design) more sandboxy game than prior games were. Letting the AI invade means that it can still respond to weird things the player does, intervene in areas that scripters might not have events for (say, when a minor nation player goes hog wild in their region), and just generally allow the AI to still be able to respond when every game unfolds differently. Considering the problems Paradox AIs have historically had with launching successful naval invasions and getting troops across oceans, I'm actually pretty impressed to see the AI regularly launching successful naval invasions, even if they might have erred on the side of making them too powerful instead of basically impossible.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Tercio posted:

Germany ignoring a massive Russian invasion to guard the quiet Spanish front isn't bizarre alt history, it's flat out lovely AI.

I mean, they're fighting a war against Republican Spain there, they're fighting battles, it's not just a quiet front. Maybe the AI was wrong to prioritize that front over the Eastern front (although it seems like Germany in that game was in trouble in general so it's not like there's much they could have done in the long run), but they weren't just milling around peering over the Pyrenees.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Xerophyte posted:

AlphaGo ran on 1920 CPUs and 280 GPUs dedicated purely to AI-ing. HoI can afford to have roughly 1/10000th that amount of AI in it, if we're being generous.

And also IIRC Go-playing AI was never that good until, like, last year, so AlphaGo is the cutting edge of the cutting edge.

And anyway Go is a game that has basically nothing in common with a simulational Paradox strategy game except that they could both be described as "strategy", and the things a Go AI needs to do are completely different from what the HoI IV AI needs to consider.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

WW2 is a very difficult thing to model in wargames without a lot of railroading because the nations involved made a lot of good decisions, a lot of bad ones, and did a lot of things that probably shouldn't have worked but somehow managed to succeed mainly due to dumb luck and sheer coincidence. It's a serious balancing act to keep the AI dumb enough to make bad decisions comparable to some of WW2's infamous blunders while still making it smart enough to not be laughable.

I remember some Paradox developer posting about how they had to go to all sorts of lengths to prevent the Japanese AI from correctly weighing the fact that declaring war on America is a terrible idea. If the beginning of the war were fully scripted I imagine it'd be easier, but that'd be against what HoI 4's specific design goals were (e.g., sandboxy, open-ended, adaptable to ahistorical outcomes).

Xerophyte posted:

To be needlessly technical and pedantic -- it's a grognard thread, so hopefully this is not too out of place -- DeepMind could almost certainly make a good HoI AI using their tech and a very similar approach. In the end, you feed in the game state to a black box and the black box tells you what button to click next. The particular black box that AlphaGo uses is surprisingly agnostic to the specifics of the game*, which is probably why DeepMind has mentioned that they're targeting StarCraft next. It's not HoI, but it is also entirely different on the surface apart from also being strategy. Supposedly they've been talking to Blizzard and I really hope something comes of that.

Of course, the way the actual HoI AI works is almost certainly very different that since Paradox aren't a research firm and have no reason to try to train neural networks to play their games and hope it pans out. I guess I'm just fascinated by the possibilities -- I've coded board game AIs and neural networks for fun before and I work on programs that run on (generally much smaller) compute clusters for a living so someone successfully combining all those things triggers my nerding reflex.

* Specifically (and technically) AlphaGo uses a pair of different artificial neural networks to do heuristic next move pruning and game state evaluation, which are then used in more classic monte carlo probing. They do some go-specific input massaging but not that much and the pattern recognition is mostly in the training. I'm fairly confident you could do the same with HoI in semi-real time, but you'd need to train some specialized ANNs for different parts of the AI and also do some more complicated and likely paper-worthy massaging of the input game state to make them work. Plus more throw more computers at the problem to make it go sufficiently fast. Still, it could work well enough if someone at Paradox has a few years of coding time and a couple of supercomputing clusters to spare.

This is a good and interesting post; AI loving rules.

Earwicker posted:

I think the AI in CK2 is pretty good in the current version. I was not impressed with the AI in Stellaris but a big part of the problem there is also lack of options for diplomacy and basic things like sectors and federations being broken.

I feel like the main problem with the AI in Stellaris is that, depending on the ethos and specific situation, it often became too passive and cautious of the player, which in turn contributed to the larger issue of the Midgame Blahs. Fortunately, that doesn't really seem to be the case in HoI IV, since it seems like the AI is constantly trying to do something.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Groogy posted:

For neutrals like Switzerland I added a modifier called ai_badass_factor which makes them be more resilient to threat from neighbors or else Switzerland would join the allies and woop everyone's rear end.

Oh, that's a really elegant solution to the problem! Although now I kind of want to turn it off for the Swiss and watch them run amok in Italy and southern Germany.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Ofaloaf posted:

Did the timelapse ever show the postwar settlement thing? Because it's not like the US permanently annexed the majority of the Soviet Union, right? That would've been set up as a puppeted Russia eventually, surely.

I mean, the historical immediate postwar occupation borders were also kind of fucky, but still got neatened up into comparatively pretty borders once everything had been settled.

At the very end there seems to be one sudden change of borders (Belgium/Netherlands reappear etc.) which might possibly have been the peace conference, and if it was the US kept all that Soviet territory-- but if that's the case (it might have just been some other thing that liberated occupied Allies?) that seems like a peace conference bug caused by the fact that a rump Russian Empire state was fighting for their Axis puppetmasters, so it's less the AI being irrevocably hosed than the peace conference system not dealing with a weird edge case (non-faction belligerent being turned into an enemy satellite which then fights against you.) Or maybe that wasn't a peace conference at all.

Aside from that, frankly I'd be more concerned if the Germans were able to defend the entire occupied Soviet Union even when they're being pressed on all fronts, presumably lost like a million dudes beating the Soviets in the first place, and the situation in Western Europe is rapidly disintegrating. And the game overall looked really cool? Maybe it's not realistic alternate history or whatever, but it looks like a war with lots of dramatic swings back and forth between the factions and daring plans the AI is capable of executing.

Zeron posted:

That looks amazing to me though. If I was actually playing the game, having the AI do unexpected invasions in places I wouldn't expect would be way more exciting than having them always try to invade Normandy. The timelapses generally look like they'd be a ton of fun if you were actually playing the game instead of watching.

This, too. If the AI were scripted to always invade at Normandy, or even always invade at Normandy (or Normandy or one of the other Operation Fortitude deception targets like Calais or Norway, or whatever) it seems like it would be completely trivial for a human German player to plan around that and inevitably push the Allies back into the sea. Instead, in this game the Allies turned all that occupied Russian territory into an indefensible liability.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 5, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ArchangeI posted:

The NATO counters replace the pictograms, not the sprites.

You can turn off sprites entirely if you want to just look at counters, but unfortunately they still don't do jumping jacks.

Are there any videos of a French game? Communist France from WWW was still a good look at France's situation even if you're planning on sticking with the allies, but it'd be nice to see somebody doing a more typical French playthrough, since that's what I'm planning for my first game.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

axeil posted:

I really didn't enjoy HOI3 but my very first Paradox game was HOI2 and the dev diaries looked good so I took the plunge and pre-ordered with 12 hours to go. Played so many games of that with my roommates in college. We're all ordering it and are hoping to get some games in this week.

The big question of course is who to play as at launch. I always played the Soviets because I couldn't figure out how to work a navy or air force :saddowns:

Between this and Stellaris I think I'm set for games for the whole summer.

My first game is going to be France, since I'm determined to try to do better than they did historically.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Antti posted:

I'm not ready to start freaking out about El Salvadorrr because:
- A WW2 game is obviously not going to be working just right for Central and South America out of the box.
- While the other countries failed to build up enough military, you could see as Jake pushed deeper that the other South American countries had, in fact, started to build up their defences in preparation for him.
- He ultimately did get his comeuppance.

The US should really start guaranteeing Central and South American countries from each other a little sooner in a scenario where they're gobbling each other up, but let's face it we're all going to be putzing around in Europe, Asia and the ME for 99% of the game. That's also why I think The Empire of the Platypus is hilarious, it's just the right amount of Gay Black Hitler to end up with fascist Australia in the first place.

I mean, if you're going to play as fascist Australia, of all things, I kind of like that the game doesn't even attempt to dignify that as an actual historical counterfactual.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I just tuned into the stream-- has anything important happened to Communist France before they went into this QA segment?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Ofaloaf posted:

They encircled half the Axis troops in Northern Italy, that was neat.

lol like half of them got away because the breakout happened underneath a tooltip they were explaining

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

fyi if the button doesn't appear try restarting spain

edit: restarting steam but i want to preserve that typo for the ages

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Does anybody have any advice for France? I'd like to join the Allies and stick with Britain if possible, which means I can't really use the communist France stream as a model. I'm probably going to play on easy difficulty since this is my first real attempt at playing Hearts of Iron IV (I gave HoI 3 a few hours and found it entirely baffling), but some starting advice would be nice anyway. One thing I'm worried about in particular is that I've seen Nationalist Spain join the Axis and suddenly open up a southern front in France a lot in streams, but it seems like there isn't any way to help the Republicans unless you're Communist. So I'm not sure what my strategy there should be beyond just pray the Republicans win for once.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

slavatuvs posted:

I don't mind a little "what if" even with historical focus on. France doing well is cool. Poland surviving into '41 is just strange.

What's Germany's situation beyond that? I could see how problems elsewhere could lead to the war in Poland getting bogged down.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

team overhead smash posted:

You might be able to send volunteers, but only a few divisions. Still, that can really help.

Really apart from declaring war on Switzerland, you can pretty much follow the communist french stream. You'll be more reactive in terms of when the war starts, but otherwise you can follow the same general principles.

It says I can't send any volunteers until 50% world tension. It's 4% world tension right now.

Bye, Spain. :smith:

EDIT: Also I'm super early in my first real game, but I'm already having fun! The map is so, so gorgeous, and that Allies music pack of radio songs is so great and period-appropriate.

EDIT EDIT: Does HoI IV show track titles anywhere like EU4 does?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

It turns out trying to find a way to help Republican Spain as France was a moot point, anyway, since the Republicans won on their own! Well, with some Soviet help, anyway.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Two questions: If I edit a division template (I've been giving my basic infantry divisions some artillery and anti-tank support), all my existing divisions will upgrade themselves as equipment and manpower becomes available, right?

Similarly, if I remove some divisions from a brigade, can I recover their equipment and manpower or does it melt away into the ether?

EDIT: Also, what kinds of things should I expect Republican Spain to do since it actually won the civil war? Most of the streams I've seen had it get destroyed and then seen the Nationalists cause all sorts of problems along the French border. Can I send the troops I had on the Spanish border to the Italian border? It's early 1939 and I'm a democratic Allied France.

(It's irrelevant to my game, since this didn't happen, but what should France do if they choose "Go With Britain" and Britain refuses them? That event made me a bit nervous since if I couldn't get in the Allies my entire game would have fallen apart.)

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 7, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Groogy posted:

Alright so I want to ask everyone, what is people's impression of the AI? Don't care about specific case where you think it failed. I want to genuinely know are you having fun playing against it?

Yes, but I haven't gotten in a big war yet, so I've mostly just experienced it while trying to out-produce it or diplomatic jockeying for position or whatever, so I can't speak to the combat AI. But I can say that even with historical focuses turned off, the AI seems to be acting rationally? Even the strange things I've seen happen tend to at least have a reason... or, at least, the illusion of a reason. (I'm trying not to anthropomorphize the AI too much)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Two more questions: Communists are at like 40% support in France, and even though in principle I don't really mind a civil war would really throw things off since it's already 1939. Is it worth it to get a democratic reformer for a while, or is that just a waste of PP? Also, if Communists do take over somehow (e.g. through the election event), will the UK throw me out of the Allies?

Also, what are some good division designs for armored divisions? I'm not really sure what to do with them, except for the fact that I have like a million light tanks lying around.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Star posted:

Holy gently caress, that was an intense and good session. My communist Yugoslavia fought valiantly until we ended up in a stalemate against the German Reich with the front going up towards Danzig. I tried to encircle them and almost succeeded, but they broke through my lines and encircled me instead. Thankfully I managed to break out and rejoin my frontline. After almost a year of attempts to pinpoint where their lines could break I was running out of manpower, even with scraping the barrel enacted. Thankfully France finally managed to invade Normandy and the USA joined in shoring up my frontline, even though we were in different blocs. We defeated Germany and then the USA started to invade Japan. Unfortunately they got bogged down there, as well, and I had to research a nuke as well as ship some Yugoslavian tanks over to their home islands in order to make them capitulate. I even got a nice Cold War setup after the peace conference.

Me, Soviet, East Germany and Libya along with China are in the Comintern. The rest of the West are allies.

I have to say I really really like HoI4 already. There's always stuff to do, even if it's only creating nice production chains and making sure your planes are distributed correctly.

Those are some of the prettiest postwar borders I've seen in anybody's game. :unsmith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet there's a way to use the sub-ideologies as triggers. Is there a list of the various triggers somewhere yet?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Tuskin38 posted:

Trying to change the name localization for Canada, but it doesn't seem to matter what I name the localization file, the base game one overrides it.

I thought it might have been alphabetical, but even putting Z in-front of the name does nothing.

I've had this problem in an EU4 mod, and just copying the entire country localization file to the mod and editing that seemed to fix it. I'm not sure if that's the best way, but it seemed to get the job done.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Tuskin38 posted:

I was hoping to avoid that so it would be compatible with other mods that effect the localization, oh well.

Weird, all the other localization files work fine, Ideas, tech tree names.

Yeah, like I said, it's probably not the best way, but it still worked when I was completely baffled otherwise. Although in my case since I was heavily editing the localization files anyway copying it was a bit more justifiable.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lum_ posted:

Possibly? In my ahistorical US game it fired in November 1936 and when I went Republican it gave me Alf Landon who had the generic western politician portrait along with a isolationist economic research buff or something similar.

I then promptly went Communist and it literally used the same portrait for Earl Browder but instead of a flag pin he wore a hammer and sickle pin. :smith:

The first content pack really ought to be more portraits for alternate leaders because this is getting kind of embarrassing. :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Tuskin38 posted:

I was hoping to avoid that so it would be compatible with other mods that effect the localization, oh well.

Weird, all the other localization files work fine, Ideas, tech tree names.

:siren: There is indeed a better way to to this! :siren:

Captain Gars posted:

However if you only want to replace certain existing keys - which seems to be what you are after - then create a new folder in your mod's localization folder and call it replace. Any localization keys put in a document in this map will overwrite existing keys after the game's localization has already been loaded.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Should my airplanes do anything in peacetime? Also, any air advice in general? I feel like I've been neglecting my air force a bit compared to tanks and artillery for my infantry. For context I'm France, it's January 1939, I'm in the Allies, I've been focusing on defense (lots of artillery, lots of AT, starting to bring some AA online too, going down the extended maginot line branch of my focus tree) and I'm playing with historical focuses off but so far nothing weird has happened besides the Republicans winning the civil war and Japan getting severely bogged down in China-- Germany's just making its way down all the usual sorts of events. Even the Hidenberg and Amelia Earhart still happened historically. :v:

Ditto for my ships. Should they just be waiting in port until war breaks out? And what kinds of ships are most useful to be building prewar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ArchangeI posted:

I made a huge mistake. The war is over, the allies won, and France has done the lion's share of the fighting. I have like twice what Britain had in victory points. So I force Germany to release its puppets, change the government of Hungary and Romania to democratic, force Italy to give up Libya, pass. Britain demands Germany changes government. My turn, I start to dismember Germany after finding myself unable to force it to split in East and West Germany (a divided Germany is a good Germany). I keep doing this until I hold all of Germany's states except Brandenburg, which belongs to the newly formed German Republic. I think that I will just release the two as puppets after the peace conference.

I find out I can't.

Because Germany already exists.

And they hate me because I took all of their lands.

And everyone else hates me because I raised world tension by 170%.

And giving the states back doesn't lower world tension one bit.

And states that were forced to change governments don't become puppets, they are neutral.

So now I have a rapidly rearming Germany at my borders that wants bloody revenge for the last rear end-kicking it got, and a neutral Hungary and Romania that will probably join them.

Welp.

World War III!

(What would have been a better way to handle the peace conference? If I manage to win somehow I'd like a more peaceful resolution than that. :v: )