Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Groogy posted:

Yes because that is how it went... Germany lost something around 70% of its tanks. Of course it is Perfect for invading USSR and like fighting in the enormous swampland in Northern eastern Poland. They had no problems whatsoever with their tanks.... *roll eyes*

is this real

Groogy posted:

I also like how you are putting words in both my mouth and Daniels mouth.

that is literally what you posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Groogy posted:

No he was doing a very nice strawman, I took up a real event where Tanks performed sub-par(at least the German ones) contrary to what he claimed. He proceeded to use my statement as me claiming that Tanks are useless in all regards. Which I did not say.

alright how about this: "the real barbarossa used tanks and failed, therefore using tanks in a simulated barbarossa is a bad idea", is that the point you were making?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Sure let's go there.

Paradox makes three DLC types. $2-$5 packs that add music/units, $10 packs which add new cultures/maybe religions, and $15 packs which add more content/landmasses/ways of playing. They used to offer $20 Expansion Passes for EU3 and older games which offered extreme overhauls to regions of the map that weren't in the base game/shown as well in the base game, but that hasn't really been seen since.

The description for the Expansion Pass says that it adds

"Expansion Pass: Includes the first 2 expansions and its related content, to an estimated value of $49.99"

So, we have two expansions for an estimated value of $50. That's roughly $25 per expansion.

Oh wait, "and it's related content". There's the unit packs/music that comes with them. So if we look at how Paradox does DLC, we can make some quick guesses.

Either it's two $15 DLC packs plus $5 worth of unit packs/music ( no wait, that doesn't actually add up to $50, only $40, so hmm ), or they are going back to the old model of DLC for HoI4, and we'll get two $20 sized expansions plus their unit packs/music.

Either way, we get it for.....$17. Which is either $2 more then a single pack if they both are $15 packs, or $3 less then the cost of a single pack if they are $20 expansions.

At that money rate, we can make some quick guesses about how lovely this gamble is. If HoI4 is an outright embarrassment of a game, and utterly terrible, I'm out money. Bummer. But I'd be out most of that money anyway by buying the game. If both DLC are garbage, then I hosed up and lost....$17. Whatever, that's not a huge loss ( it's $2 more then it'd have cost me to buy the DLC when it comes out on day one, which I'd have done anyway ), and I'll learn my lesson for future Paradox games. If even one DLC is good though, the worst I'll lose is $2, which is nothing. However if both DLC are good ( very likely, Paradox DLC is at worst something you want to buy just so the AI has more tools ), I'm getting ( bare minimum, if I only care about content ) $30 worth of content DLC for $17, which saves me $13.

And that's if I operate under the assumption they are sticking to their guns and doing $15 DLC like they've been doing in modern times, rather then $20 DLC again. If they go back to $20 DLC, the scales tip even further towards my favor.

Basically, there are four outcomes here.

Outcome A is the game is bad and I lost all my money. Worst scenario, none of us win.

Outcome B is the game is good, but both DLC are bad. This is a bad scenario for me.

Outcome C is the game is good, but only one DLC is good. We break even, we both spend $15ish to get that DLC.

Outcome D is the game is good, both DLC are good. I win by getting them both for the price of one. Good deal.

Hell, let's throw in Outcome E, and say game is good, both DLC are good and $20, in which case ding ding ding, I'm the best winner.

With only two bad options, one break even, and two potential good options, I'd say that's a pretty loving good gamble. ( especially if I wait a week after the game releases to gauge how good it is. Then it becomes bad/break even/good/good. )

And this is now probably the spergiest thing I've ever written down. Lets go back to talking about WW2.

this is no good.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

so is kaiserreich going to be a thing for hoi4?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

cool, is there any indication of it's going to be a total mess like DH or do they actually have some QA and project management this time?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I dunno they have one screenshot of an event in their post and it's pretty horribly written so that does not fill me with confidence.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ulmont posted:

I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't think Kaiserreich, being just a mod, has anything other than internal organization / prioritization / etc.

...the first version of the HOI4 version is supposed to be a straight port of the last DH one, though, so that probably won't go off the rails too bad.

if DH kaiserreich is your definition of on the rails then I hesitate to ask what off the rails looks like. its internals are an absolute mess and it's fairly obvious that the most planning that went on was "pick your pet nation and go hog wild". I know it's an amateur production but it'd be nice if they learnt from the past and tried to put a more coherent structure to things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dramicus posted:

I'm not defending it, but keep in mind, these are the same guys who wrote something like 500 separate event chains to kill off one character.
could you please explain