Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I hate how so many of the qchievements basically work out to "Conquer the world as X". I just finished the Austria-Hungary achievement which took waaay too many tries to do. Beating the Axis, then Russia, then finally, finish with a loving horrific late game brawl with US-UK who incidentately have a loving ludicrous number of planes.

I puppeted a Communist turned Fascist ComChina and then used their manpower to simultaneously invade the US on 3 fronts. Taking DC was the lamest and gayest affair, mainly because the US stacked a shitzillion number of Inf in there. Finally, I used SuperHeavies and slooooowly broke it open. By this point I had basically finished eating the US but 100% stability meant fuuuuuuuuck yooooooou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

There's also the Revived Kaisserreich achievement which took a long time because I totally spaced out and forgot to take the Caribbean off the UK, which meant a loving thrilling invasion of Japan throigh Siberia and India simultaneously. Hooo boooy that sucked to play. Nothing says fun like fighting in Siberia :suicide:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

non-aligned is this weird potpourri of monarchies and fascists who didn't sign up with the axis and neutral liberal democracies

it really needs a better name

Thats why I sorta kinda liked at least a part of HOI3's political system -instead of uncomfortably stuffing flavors of despotism and oligarchy under Non-Aligned, your various authoritarians had an actual label to fall under.

That being said, putting everyone under that umbrella still works. HOI is a game fundamentally about bashing dudes, planes, tanks, and boats together in a sometimes comical reenactment of WW2, not a deeper discussion of how various nation states are hard to label and have a complex political system to outsiders.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

If you're playing a warlord, Qing, or ComChi, it's highly advisable to build CAS and Fighters over arty because the Nationalists never build enough air to be a serious threat. I was able to utterly trounce the Nationalists as Qing with an army half their size because I was getting 70.0 air support ticks in combat. It's also advisable to use China's wonky province borders to encircle divisions. It makes fighting the Nationalists a lot easier when you can just encircle fifty divisions from the first days of the war.

Also, airfields are only 1250 civ industry points a piece, so building them quickly is a piece of cake.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is it wrong that every time I play communist China I develop a heavy tank and name it Mao’s Big Dong?

:hmmyes:

ComChi is fun, RepChi is grindy, QingChi is lame, WarChi sucks Mao's Big Dong.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I've been noticing AI Germany doing Oppose Hitler, which is something I've never seen. I guess they changed it so Alt history Germany actually has a chance to do things.

In a recent Bulgarian achievement run game, two Germany fought a three year long civil war that actually came up to a million casualties before Italy joined the Axis, invaded Yugoslavia, and then sunk the Axis under a tide of French troops. I'm glad France is totally gimped in HOI4, and takes til mid-43 to fix it's manpower problem, because otherwise that game woulda been completely scuppered.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I would be totally okay with Alternate historical focus meaning that every country is free to pursue any random path. You can see glimpses of this already, but some countries have locked in alternate paths (kaiserreich Germany for example). The way I see it, if the game was changed so that clicking off historical focuses could potentially result in a world where literally every major goes democratic, that would be fine. You clicked off historical, you deserve it if you go fascist Italy and every minor and major embraces communism.

But, the likelihood is more that you'd see the world dissolve into utter chaos, which is fine. Some alternate history games result in 4 way WW2s, while other resulting in slightly less historical historical games. What I'm saying is that countries that have alternate focus trees (like Hungary going democratic king) should be allowed, instead of the current choices for an AI alt-history Hungary being fascist faction with Italy and then dying to Germany OR failing to beat Austria and getting stuck with a Habsburg in the middle of Europe.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 29, 2021

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I always do like watching Mexico go down the "fight everyone and die horribly" path.

Though I had one game where Mexico managed to get the USA into the Axis by going communism and declaring on every American country plus some the fascist Brits plus the Dutch.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I'm actually still playing the version right before NSB came out to beat the last of these cheevos before I switch to NSB.

One King, Two Crowns is a deceptively difficult achievement. I just finished the Macau my Day achievement and that was vastly easier than trying to beat France before Germany or Britian or Italy eats them.

Yeah, I'm a loving turbonerd. But there's something about, for example, 1 speeding through the Don't Die for Country achievement that hit my lil dopamine receptors right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

What gameplan did you have for Macau My Day?

I swear i've tried a dozen gimmicks and all of them end up with me having to fight china, japan, the allies, and somehow end up at war with the ussr or germany to boot. The luckiest i've gotten was france and britain AI both surrendering their colonies to nat china before nat china joined the allies anyways and ruined it 6 months later

Well, here's how I did it. It's not efficient in the slightest, but it worked.

Portugal is a tiny little nation but it is actually very potent, and I'd argue that its focus tree is next to Germany for being overpowered. If you stay left on the colonial path, you get not only a +20% non-core manpower, but integrating Angola and Mozambique (aside from the obvious benefit of a core on a big pop state) also gives you a +30% recruitable population factor. Add on to this a +25% construction speed buff if you complete all the focuses, and Portugal given time and space can quickly become very strong.

So, what I did was go Communist and then win the civil war with the Republicans(hardest part right here). After this, I went Iberian Union and then attacked Japan using the bathtub strat to build up a huge submarine navy while continuing to spam civilians and dockyards. There's also an argument for attacking and eating Italy instead of Japan here because they're so much weaker than Japan, but in my game, Nat China was falling apart quickly so I had to attack Japan first.. After I subdued Japan, I built up my army a little more and then ate all the China's using my collaboration government. After this, you only need to beat Britain and France, so I attacked Britain next using the bathtub strat and now tanks while holding the Pyrennes. Germany ate France, so I then had to fight a war against the Axis, but at this point, I had an absolutely massive army and IC advantage using the manpower from my collab government.

That's what I did with alt-historical start. Historical start, this strat is probably about the same with the added difficulty of having to beat a much stronger Nat Spain and having to kill Britain before the US joins the war.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 21, 2022