Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The war merge changes sound great and I look forward to a clusterfuck ww2 happening.

New difficulties are good to help people but I don’t understand why regular now gets debuffs for the player, unless they’re planning to balance the AI by just gimping the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The thread made me want to do a France playthrough, so I did one on road to 56. Did the little entente path and had all of Central Europe in before Germany demanded Sudetenland so the uk told Germany to gently caress off which started “ww2” and also kicked off a German civil war. It was an easy af war but uh, soviets jumped on Poland like a week after the Germans and Italians surrendered so that’s been fun.

Some things that happened:

I got the draft dodger event and the 80% option to succeed has to be bugged because I failed that option 5 times then clicked the 60% option and succeeded immediately. I ended up dealing with -40% recruitable pop because everyone’s draft dodging.

Dem germany naval invaded Galicia then set up a beachhead, and then AI UK sent over like 25 divisions to reinforce which is maybe the first time I’ve seen the AI coordinate extremely well on supporting a naval invasion.

I helped republican Spain win the civil war, then they turned around and joined the Comintern and declared war on me. Seems like they’d at least send a gift basket :mad:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It also redoes focus trees for the majors so France, USA, and ussr get some focus trees that aren’t as crap.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kaiserreich mod updated, with a focus on South America. It’s probably the most unfun continent to play on but I gave a shot at Brazil anyway. They reduced the, extremely many, focus tree times to 56 days which is still like 11-21 days too many. They finally integrated the stability system into the base game one so it doesn’t feel disjointed anymore.

As for Brazil, there’s several maluses that you start with that I don’t see a way to get rid of (and they’re kinda painful). Meanwhile, there’s several foci to get rid of inflation...but there is no inflation?? There’s no foreign policy tree so you can’t get some free cbs unless you go down the monarchist one and that only gets you one on Uruguay and Paraguay. Staying a democracy is unfun unless you cheat and allow free DoW.

TLDR: if you like KR, it’s an ok update; SA is more fleshed out but still isn’t great to play bc infrastructure. If you don’t like KR, this ain’t changing minds.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’d really like it if surrender didn’t require almost full occupation of a country.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

i tried doing the owb mod with multi and we didnt make it a full month without 3 desyncs. good luck to all involved.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

buglord posted:

It’s hilarious but they do have a point about democracies being self-gimping gameplaywise.

Yeah, if you’ve got the generic tree, going communist or democratic gimps you compared to going fascist. Even in KR it’s almost always more fun to go full natpop since you usually get more expansion options.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The game is over when it takes longer for a day to tick by than it does for you to get up and get some food.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The game starts to chug towards the end, all Paradox games tend to, but I've never seen some of the insane slowdowns others reported. And this is with a 4 or 5 year old CPU. I do often notice that 'fast' is faster than 'fastest' so I'll often stick with that if I do need to hurry things up. Though usually there is so much going on I'll keep the game on normal so I don't lose track of a front.

The game is also basically over by the time you get around to the first peace conference. After that the game isn't really we'll suited to simulating the post-war world and things can get a little wonky. I don't know if I've ever bothered sticking it out to 1948 - I think the latest I've gone is ~late '46?

This week's diary is also ready for reading:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-mines-and-minesweeping.1115861/

All about (naval) mines and mine laying and sweeping. Kind of like fortifying the ocean, I guess? Maybe this will finally allow Italy to defend itself agianst constant Canadian landing parties.

Oddly, you cannot begging minelaying during peace and they disappear as soon as you are no longer at war. Seems odd to me but maybe there's a balance reason for it we aren't aware of. Or the AI was mining every square inch of ocean it could travel to.

I’ve had games where there’s little slowdown, and others where the days crawl by. Probably depends on mods and whether you let too many major ais stick around.

As for the dev diary, I noticed that there’s an admiral screen for naval map mode similar to generals for the default mode. That’ll make finding navies much easier.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

How did hoi3 even handle air/naval stuff? It’s been like 5 years since I touched that game.

The only thing I do remember was that you put like 2-3 carriers, 4 battlecruisers, and a mix of LC and destroyers and this fleet could stop anything.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lum_ posted:

clearly someone hates fun, that's pretty much the whole POINT of him being in the mod

but let's continue to have Kerensky remaining in power in Russia until 1936 at which point he's replaced by a wacky Not-Hitler Savinkov, sure

Tbf, they’ve said they want to get rid of kerensky and redo russia. Though it’ll probably be in the direction of :siren: serious lore :siren: rather than fun goofy poo poo.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

"We want to make Kaiserreich lore as realistic as possible, so we're getting rid of silly things like Genghis Khan II and Jiang Qing. The ACW2? No, that's staying."

they probably would if they could, but the acw2:syndie boogaloo balances america to not be super OP. also, speaking of KR:

i've got a wonderful middle east.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

The civil war paths are loving stupid tbh

Communism somehow has the full support of the American military and government, but fascism is just a step too far for anyone not in the south.

If only :sigh:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Does anyone even make tank destroyers in game? I’ve never had an issue against armor except maybe as soviets or Germans. The tank variants are incredibly niche so if there’s a reason to actually start building them, that could be cool.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Dreissi posted:

So, people got talking about Kaiserreich again and I decided to give it another shot. Does anyone know if Canada is hard-coded to attack the Combined Syndicates when they defeat the US federal government?

Canada seems to involve itself if the csa capitulates the feds. But I’ve seen the USA hold on to Washington so the csa ends up winning the civil war at the same time the USA capitulates so canada doesn’t get involved.

Someone here linked the new order: last days of Europe here a few months ago and they just dropped an hour long video dev diary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXxycFtddkM

The first 14 minutes is just the dev talking about all the drama they’ve dealt with. Feel free to skip it if you don’t care about them dealing with people leaking their mod.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I swear, every time I play KR the faction I’m gonna join is run by dumbasses. Play as a syndie? France declares war on Germany when its troops aren’t on the border and runs out of infantry equipment a month in. Play as a democracy or natpop? The revolution is everywhere and theres an army of French ubermen in every direction.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

wiegieman posted:

It's what happens when countries don't take the historical path of rolling over like feckless cowards until they can't ignore the nazis anymore.

Peace in our time

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tried the Cold War mod out...is it possible to be impressed and disappointed at the same time?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It feels like the Cold War mod wants to move in a direction that’s more Cold War like - less total war and more proxy war and espionage. But man, it’s super buggy, the starting oob is hoi3ish, there’s elements of the UI that’s really cluttered, and the division templates are almost universally fubar. Why the gently caress would I want my motorized divisions to have towed artillery :psyduck:

That said, the look and music of the mod is :discourse: and extremely well done. If nothing else, I hope it’s successful and makes paradox think about releasing an actual Cold War game. It’s a part of history that is just fantastic and I wish they’d give it a go.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

There’s more focuses and it’s definitely better, but still needs a bit more time in the oven. I’d give it a shot to see the new PNW factions and see if you like em.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Started working on a focus tree a couple days ago and I now hate them and wish for their death. They really are quite awful to make.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I'd wanna slash a Nazi in two with a sword too tbh

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

iirc, the point was to try and balance the various navies against each other by giving, like, Germany later versions of ships without giving them modern ships. but lmao at whatever this all is.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I can't wait for the 130+ USA and UK focus trees that each take 70 days to complete

E: I didn't consider that it includes mutual branches like going fascist. So I'm dumb

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Agean90 posted:

I have to admit, its surprising how their arent any mods that ask "what if after Lenin croaked the power struggle was won by someone who had an ideology beyond paranoid dictator"

I was working on a mod that had something similar to this (the revolution happened after Lenin passed) but uh I started an LP and that took away all my time :v:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

When a thread gets into arguments about who's calling who a nazi, you know it's time to step away from the keyboard. C'mon guys.

You know who else tried to get me to step away from the keyboard? That's right,

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Dramicus posted:

This would be an interesting way to simulate differences between planned and free economies. The free economies are stronger, but the government can't just tell everyone what to produce until they switch into war economy. Whereas the Fascists and Communists can tailor their production to exactly what they want, but will be overall less productive.

Hmm, agreed. Then afterwards, they could add a specific amount of civilian population called capitalists, who build factories in these freer economies...

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

so we did a gag game given it's a holiday of the my little pony mod for this and uhhh

uhhhhhhhh

it's actually pretty good wtf?? and bizarrely incredibly fleshed out with lots of paths and secrets and poo poo that would make kaiserreich and the fallout mod sweat

and it actually functions, unlike those two

we are in the darkest timeline

edit: ofc the natural downside is everyone's fascist stuff is more fleshed out because nazi ponies. at least there aren't actually any nazis, outside of a mussolini joke country

A lot of the nwo devs also worked on the mlp mod. So something to be excited for.

E: also apparently building dreadnoughts in KR and not strapping the super heavy guns is a waste since my super modern DNs got blown the gently caress up by some interwar poo poo.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Agean90 posted:

And the TNO: Last days of Europe mod demo is out on moddb.they could t get steam to cooperate for some reason

https://www.moddb.com/mods/a-new-order-last-days-of-europe/

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1727487717

Its on steam now, downloading and trying now.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Is there any tools to make editing provinces and states easier? Just to be able to easily assign provinces to countries and other states easily and without having to open text files constantly.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

toolbox mod let’s you assign states to countries and add cores but not at the province level

While it looks good, I meant for the purposes of creating a mod.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

granted i'm playing the soviets 99% of the time

Comrade, why do you hate yourself?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I didn't see this get posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...20190529_for_dd

the radio packs look cool, looking forward to some of the mod music packs doing cool poo poo with it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

1.7 is live

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/patch-1-7-hydra-live-checksum-d12e-not-for-problem-reports.1185425/

also they released the radio and unit packs as dlc, $7 & $6 respectively lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I bet you ai USA doesn't understand the new congress system and is wasting all it's pp on that and not prioritizing laws after 37 or 38. The Soviet Union still producing crap is probably because they seem to always lose al their equipment early on and just go into a tailspin after that. They just don't recover unless they are lendleased ginormous amounts of stuff.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I know it's now policy for Germany to be every wheraboos wet dream but it's to the point where it's unfun. I'm tired of every game feeling like I'm bashing my head against a wall because Germany can field 1K divisions each heavily armed and face off against literally the whole world with just Hungary and maybe Bulgaria assisting.

France joined Comintern, Italy and uk stayed fascist and together. Germany stayed with Hitler. They all took down France then went to war with each other while Germany was also fighting the Soviets. Germans beat the uk off the continent then stomped Italy. Germany would have capitulated the Soviets by like 1941, but I basically kept them alive by just cheating them men and resources until I (communist America) could finally jump in by 42. I took out Japan by early 43 then had to spend the next year and half taking down the UK. I launched three fronts against the Germans, one in France, another in the Netherlands, and one against the Kiel canal. They're death stacking 20 divisions in each province and barely taking any losses despite me easily winning the battles. I just rage quit since the Soviets finally capitulated.

The Soviets being gigantic push overs suck.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

That's odd. Germany's general, vague weakness right now is their manpower, at least in regards to the USSR and USA. By then you should have had them well beyond the ropes.

:shrug:

I never felt like me winning was in doubt, just that it was much more time consuming and annoying because the soviets fight like they're the italians.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Democrazy posted:

If Britain joins the Allies, but then turns communist through their focus tree, why would they follow their bourgeois former allies and declare war on the Comintern? Doesn’t make any sense.

Leftist infighting always makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

dialhforhero posted:

It would be great if we could play CK II i to EU IV into Vicky II into HoI IV.

Would be really interesting just how alt-history you can go with that amount of time.

There's converters able to help along the way, but god help you when you get to vicky2. That's where My attempted runs fall apart.