Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hey gang this is on steam sale (kinda) and I want to know if it's worth my money.

I liked HOI III but thought it was kind of clunky and the micromanagement annoyed me. Will HOI 4 make me a happy destroyer of nations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Got the game, kicked the fash out of Spain with five volunteer divisions, an eventual realisation of how to encircle people, and a madcap dash to take all the ports at the eleventh hour when I realised that Germany, Italy, and Japan were all flooding divisions into the peninsula.

Game is good.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Drone posted:

It's been done, but it's probably quite difficult. I can't for the life of me figure out how all of these LP'ers take nations with super low national population and do world conquests with them, but they do.

Mods maybe?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've got to say I'm really liking volunteers. It's so handy for giving you something to do while you're waiting for early-game research to tick over.

On the other hand China now encompasses most of southeast asia all the way down to the end of the korean peninsula so maybe I succeeded a little too well. On the weird mutant third hand, I took out at least 50-60 divisions and probably more clearing all the Japanese out of the mainland, so I'm wondering if now's a good time to go for communist anime and rush Japan while they're reeling from losing all their mainland forces.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Friend Commuter posted:

If you've got the navy or paratroopers to force a landing in Japan, absolutely.

...Hmm, I have virtually no navy, though a fair amount of cargo ships, but paratroopers I do, for some reason, have.

EDIT: But not many transport aircraft :bang:

Japan without it's mainland holdings is pretty resource-starved, though, right?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 3, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ro5s posted:

Resources only affects building new units, so the existing Japanese nave and Airforce still fight at full power, though they'll be more vulnerable to attrition since they can't replace losses as easily. They can also trade with allied or neutral nations to get what they need, so they'll probably not be hurting too badly.

Yeah, it's mostly me wondering how quickly they'll be able to rebuild their ground forces if I take a couple of months to bootstraps out a transport airfleet.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ro5s posted:

They'll rebuild ground forces, though they'll probably keep trying to invade China. Letting them land then attacking to destroy them is a pretty good way to annihilate manpower and if you invade just after throwing one of theirs back they shouldn't have many forces on the islands.

Hm, so avoid a quick attack, let them keep trying to reclaim china and bleeding themselves white while I get a navy and paratrooper service together, then a couple of attacks in, try and claim everything? Works for me.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Nah, fighters I've got in abundance, it's just getting transport aircraft that's an issue. I seem to only be able to make one a month with maxed out production; is there a trick to that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ro5s posted:

If you've just started the production line your production efficiency will be terrible whilst the factories get tooled up and used to production. It's red bar at the to of the entry for transport aircraft in the production menu that fills with green over time as you produce aircraft. You're only getting 10% efficiency from your factories initially so it'll take a while to build up efficiency and an aircraft stockpile.

Oooooooh.

I wondered what that was.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TheDemon posted:

You only need one transport plane anyway.

Is this a meme or can you really load up all the paras you need in one plane?

Also goddamn looking at these focus trees is really amazing. I never thought I'd actively want to play France or Italy, but here we are.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tommofork posted:

Transport planes are abstracted, going by their production costs, 1 unit of transport planes is a squadron.

Historical France is pretty fun, you've got very limited military production to meet the Germans.

Aaah, huh. So one "plane" is enough for a few divisions, or do I only need one division?

And yeah, I kind of wanted to do a reformist route, but historical also looks good.

Italy's also pretty interesting looking, especially the route that looks like it's trying to make your own roman empire.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Pinback posted:

I also generally like to have infantry assigned to a front but not given attack orders, so they'll just advance with and hold the front without much micro, letting you focus on your spearheads and attack forces.

:catstare:

I hadn't realised this but it makes perfect sense.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I went to try out a minor nation and now the new persian empire in 1940 covers basically the whole middle east so uh.

I'm really noticing how nice the focus war goals are; I feel like the generic tree could use some neighbour-war focuses. Also, I went to war with france over it's tiny slip of the middle east, which I've now claimed, but apparently france has to declare peace, despite bringing like the entire Allied force into the war with me. So I've just eaten up everyone's colonies nearby and now I'm going to eat Greece.

1. Will this make them finally give up?

2. If they do, do I get everything I captured, or am I going to return to prewar borders just with france's tiny-rear end colony?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So in short, to claim three provinces next to me, I would have to defeat the whole of western europe? That sounds reasonable.

I guess I'm buddying up to the Axis. Or possibly rewinding time to claim Turkey via it's mountain border instead.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Magni posted:

Are you using the mod? Then you should actually have a focus that allows you to demand Syria and either get it handed over or get a casus belli if the AI France declines. And yeah, the ones that get you into a war against the UK or USSR are pretty much meant to get you to join a faction. Also, you really should take Turkey first in the mod because taking it, Iraq and Afghanistan allows you to get te Saoshyant focus that really helps with your manpower limitations.

I had no idea there was a mod :downs:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Poil posted:

Wasn't air supplying a terrible idea that didn't work pretty much every single time it was tried in ww2?

In addition to the one below there was also the RAF airdrops in asia.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Or you can be like me and play it either paused or screaming along with the speed in the red.

This is the only way to play.

Step 1. Spend twenty minutes paused, elaborately planning an attack

Step 2. Unpause, watch everyone get into position in seconds and let planning tick up.

Step 3. Hit go.

Step 4. Notice five minutes later that your plan has gone horribly wrong, desperately salvage it in such a way your front is somehow three provinces forward at the end.

Step 5. Return to 1.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Will improving relations put them off declaring on you?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Charles Get-Out posted:

Not concrete, but in my experience, yes. When Germany completed a war focus against me, they didn't declare while I was improving relations.

I don't play with historical AI though, so maybe it was just an AI decision.

I might have a way out of my seemingly inevitable UK/Iran war! :toot:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Doing Rise of Persia mod now:

What's better to go for, Superior Firepower or Grand Battleplan? Being better at entrenching and being able to entrench better both seem like pluses with my zero manpower, but the early focus on soft attacks might be better for getting those breakthroughs in the middle of horrible mountains.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's the "Unify Persia" thing that's a problem atm :v:

I keep trying invasions of Turkey but loving everyone in the western hemisphere sends volunteers and I end up fighting like four or five times my amount of divisions. Any advice there? Most of my infantry are fitted as mountaineers and I have three divisions of armoured (and one cav) so I should have a breakthrough reserve but there's just nowhere to go when my enemy's got four stacks on each province across the front.

EDIT: Yeah, I can advance for like a month before the country's flooded with guys. Checking Turkey's also been guaranteed by France, so, uh... Am I just hosed?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 6, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So checking there's no way to remove a guarantee of independence? Once given, the country's protected forever, and the joining in defence is automatic?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Can I have some tips for setting up brigades properly, particularly heavy tank brigades?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Is there a way to get more officers? I'm playing Rise of Persia and I have only one senior officer, I assumed there'd be events like for aces in the air force where I'd get guys who could be stuck in charge of armies but it's been four years of on-off fighting so I'm going to guess that's not the case.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The Narrator posted:

When you select a land commander, you can click a button at the bottom of the window to spend some fuhrermana and generate a new officer.

ArchangeI posted:

You should be able to just click on an unassigned army and recruit a new officer by clicking new commander at the bottom.

:downs:

Is there a way to "train" ships, too, or are they meant to sit at green for ages?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It also feels really weird my best move was to immediately make my two new dudes field marshals and ignore my previous guy, because he's like skill 7 and has about six traits so he'd be losing too much power.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Huh, that'd explain why my heavy tanks keep getting beaten back.

Heavy SPAT sounds like a good idea for infantry support, though; do you retain some production when you shift units over to a related variant?

EDIT: Also the war's gone kinda global at this stage and I'm starting to get some crunch with the hundred simultaneous battles that're now visible to me. This is just going to get worse isn't it? :smith:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 7, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Plus you can assume, say, an infantry division with a superheavy tank attached is going to send the heavy forward at the beginning of the attack to break through at local levels, and the infantry are going to follow it, rather than the infantry charging and leaving the tank behind.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Wouldn't the US navy annihilate you?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Drone posted:

In 1936 the Royal Navy is identical in size to the US Navy but with more focus on heavier ships, and the USN is spread out across Atlantic and Pacific. The AI isn't smart enough to concentrate its entire navy in the Atlantic theater, but a UK player who did so should be able to wipe the floor with the US Atlantic Fleet.

Oh, right, so the scenario being pitched is literally gun for the USA the second the game starts.

EDIT: Wait again: how do you get a war with the USA in 1936? The UK's a democracy, it doesn't have any of the fun stuff that lets you declare wars arbitrarily.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 12, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've just realised, the way you're meant to quickly go fash is by appointing both a demagogue and democratic reformer and then going nationalist in the focus tree, right? That way you have both democrats and nationalists nibbling at the neutral middle man, but the fascists will get the plurality and when the democrats have served their purpose you just remove the reformer and let the nationalist ethos drain away democratic support.

Do I have the right of it? Because I can see that being much more efficient.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Weird question: Is it possible to take over the Soviet Union as Finland?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Is it possible to mod the map, or is that more of a job than usual?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Baron Porkface posted:

Why the hell wont my loving paratroopers loving paradrop? Are the transports supposed to be at destination or start point?

They're needed at the airport you're aidropping from.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Is it just me or is the soviet tree weirdly bad for research? Maybe it's just playing minors spoiling me but they all have steady trickles of -50% researchers that can give you a real leg up, whereas the soviets have... One for land doctrine, one for armour, and a plane one, IIRC? And some ones for two specific ships. I dunno, I'm just used to having some 1941-43 kit by 1940 whereas with the soviets it seems incentivised to research at a historical level.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Okay, someone explain this:

I take the molotov-ribbentrop pact.

I go for Sakhalin.

Japan joins the axis.

Hungary, belatedly, join the fight in Japan's defence, and keep attacking me across the border.

I crush Japan, but as the Hungarians were allied Japan's just in exile and I haven't won yet.

I launch a tank attack on Hungary.

This is apparently me breaking the non-aggression pact and the entire axis declares on me.

This feels screwy as hell; is the intent to just allow one person to keep attacking you forever with impunity? Because that felt really weird. Actually the weird bit is probably that if you've got non-aggression with someone then you can let people they're at war with into the club.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 15, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Emanuel Collective posted:

Did the Axis itself actually declare war, or just Germany and Italy individually? Ideologically-aligned countries always seem to declare war on you when you attack their ideological allies, regardless of alliances/non-aggression pacts.

The entire axis did, I guess individually? I had Romania, Italy, and Germany declare, but they're also the only axis members. Aside from Hungary and Japan now.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

This game is much easier now I've realised I can queue troops in parallel :downs:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Gort posted:

Oh dear.

I do kinda wish there was some sort of "If I have enough surplus equipment for one, start training a new division of this type" button I could click to efficiently build my army in step with the changes in my industry.

Yeah, I also miss being able to have them deploy into armies from HOI 3. There's more micro than I'd like in divisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The Narrator posted:

Oh no :(

edit: if you mean "have the division automatically join an army as they're created," you can do that. Click the grey circle next to the divisions-in-training, then click an army's order (like their front line). The grey circle will change to whatever colour the army is, and when they train they'll automatically join that set of orders.

It's amazing how much of the world I've conquered without learning basic functionality like this :downs: