Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

dialhforhero posted:

Manpower is literally the AIDS of small nations in this game. :negative:

This is why I'm having trouble going back to Vanilla after trying Old World Blues. I always prefer playing smaller nations, and thanks to coring other peoples states I was able to take the small Area 51 based raider gang called "The Sky Reavers" and grow them up to the size of the NCR. With plenty of power armor divisions and a complete airforce that would rival that of many WW2 nations.

Of course you have to be a Fallout nerd to get anything out of it but yeah, it's a really good mod for us small nation people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

Are there any mods like this but not Fallout themed? It sounds like a high quality mod but I don’t really care about Fallout lore.

Millenium Dawn should be fun for smaller nations, but last I heard that mod is getting a little out of hand scope/feature wise, probably doesn't run as well, and might still lack polish. I used to play it when it was a much simpler mod. Uneventful, but great for expanding as a small nation. I liked trying to unite Africa and make it the world super power.

Quick edit : You could also just try Old World Blues but play as the motorized raider gang, "The 80s" and pretend you're playing a Mad Max mod.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Another fun way to play small nations is in Road to 56. It's not historically accurate or "balanced" but I can play as Iraq and actually do something and that's fun.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Morrow posted:

Apres Moi le Deluge really is the most cost-effective mod and it's what I go to when I just want to play a HoI game instead of a text adventure. I did a playthrough of Red Flood and couldn't even find half the German focus tree because it was so large.

It also has the Kingdom of Louisiana and that's just awesome

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It's kind of a tossup with the whole "historic levels of tech" thing.

Like yeah, Romania had over a dozen different tank variants in the war. But they were all converted light tanks from other countries, they didn't have more than a few dozen for each variant.

There's no point in "matching" the historic tank production of Romania in Hearts of Iron because I can just research Light tanks (39) and research the TD variant and that would basically amount to the same as all those variants that they produced in real life.

And once you've done that you can produce crazy unrealistic amounts of those tanks. I just did a Communist Romania game and produced thousands of those tanks.

BUT

All that said, I really wish lend lease and production licenses were way easier to get. In real life Romania bought french tanks and got panzers from the Germans and made TD variants of each. One of their most famous tanks is just a captured T-60 with a massive gun slapped on the top, of which they made dozens. I wish I could ask Russia for tanks so I could convert them to TDs, it would add a realistic level of flavor to the game that I feel like it lacks sometimes. Because as it stands you get all those variants just by researching them, regardless of the status of the world.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 11, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Randarkman posted:

Because it was so heavy the engine had a tendency to catastrophically overheat and catch fire when driving the tank uphill.

This seems to be a recurring theme in German tank design (Lol Ferdinand), did either the Brits or Russians run into the same issues with their own heavy tank designs? Or did they just avoid the problem?

Thanks for the huge informative posts, until now I also believed the "German tanks unreliable" meme.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

I play at 5x but my computer is slow. I pause a lot.

Same, x5 speed 99% of the time. During crucial offenses in major wars I will slow down to x2-x4 to give precise orders.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Anyone here use graphics mods? I see Youtubers with more aesthetically pleasing world maps and was wondering if any Goons have any recommendations. I already have colored buttons because I'm not a monster

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've been playing on a save file where I released all controlled states from all countries, because I wanted to see what it would be like.

It effectively makes it impossible for Italy to ever take Ethiopia, because those Italian territories are now the Somali Sultanate and Eritrea. I even gave back that territory in Europe to Austria and Yugoslavia.

Italy is still a massive world power, and was responsible for a very significant portion of the fighting for the Axis every time I've played this world.

First I played as democratic Germany and Italy was my biggest threat. Then I played as Fascist Kenya and Italy had my back all throughout Africa, helping me take the only real challenge on the continent, South Africa. The seas were constantly full of Italian ships, it was insane.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ArchangeI posted:

Just to comment on the "omg why Portugal before Italy/USSR/Luxembourg!?!?!" issue: We aren't working off of a list. We know a bunch of countries are popular, and we do know that we want to rework them, but we don't just pick the first three or four and call it a day. In this case Italy was on the shortlist because it does make a lot of sense, and then we did a round of estimations (including an Italy rework) and our producer came to us and told us we needed to cut 25 dev-days worth of content because we were hilariously overscoped.

That meant that we could either a) cut Portugal and dramatically reduce the scope of the Italy rework or b) cut Italy and do Portugal as-scoped. We chose b. I think we made the right call.

Just wanted to say I appreciate more minors getting focuses, I don't like the generic focus tree which is a problem as someone who really only enjoys playing minor nations.

Mods help but they're often bonkers OP or straight up broken in places.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

HerraS posted:

Theybe been cutting out the fun things because theyre 'too unrealistic' so take from that what you will

What are the fun things they're removing?

Personally I find it hard to play because I like the chaotic sandbox nature of normal Hearts of Iron, and find the railroaded wars a little boring

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Agean90 posted:

now I'm just really sad the Honduras focus tree mod disappeared :(

Anyone have any focus tree mod recommendations? Honduras sounds like it could have been fun.

Also I'm surprised that all the releasable nations in Africa have flags that change with your politics. I really appreciate that, and I'm 99% sure it's not one of my mods.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you'd rather have peace deals turn out in a roleplay kind of way, you should try out Player Led Peace Deals. I've never actually used it, but it's probably more fun than having the AI make some disgusting border gore. Once the big wars are over the game is over anyways, so it's not REALLY cheating.

It's okay, but I'm not sure if it's possible to give anyone satellites/puppets other than the player, which can be annoying. It might be possible but I can't figure out how.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

maybe make the upgrades be purchased through using mil factories? thats a lot of civvie factory use

I was really excited to try out espionage as a small nation. Now I'm less excited. I hate judging poo poo before it's released but yeesh

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

New "rationing laws" right next to "economy laws", less rationing grants stability bonuses but increased rationing removes these but improves something else, maybe divisions supply use?

Also have "food" be a resource like oil, extracted from "farm" infrastructure. Farms could be very quick to build but remove men from the manpower pool. Divisions would drain food all the time. It would be a pain in the rear end to probably a lot of people but I'd love it.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 5, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Enjoy posted:

What happens when you run out of food? Paradox don't like war crimes in WW2 games

Just a big negative on your supply use lol, it is Hearts of Iron after all. Maybe -5% recruitable population if they wanted to be a little dark about it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dramicus posted:

You can accelerate air doctrine research, and you can upgrade plane designs. Click the wrench icon next to them when choosing what to produce.

I'm hundreds of hours in and I've never hosed with plane design, which upgrades do you recommend?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dramicus posted:

I think its maybe because japan keeps the territory near Beijing.

I played a game awhile ago with every nation decolonized, thus Japan held no territory on the mainland and I'm pretty sure they never went to war so I think you're right.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

wiegieman posted:

I just produce tons of planes and submarines and ignore most of the naval game.

I loved fighting Japan as the Phillipines and this is almost entirely how I did it. I turned my islands into fortresses and just picked off any Japanese boat that got stupid enough to get within range of my naval bombers. Sub fleets pulled double duty laying mines and wasting fools, it was great.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Could you describe the crash in a bit more detail?

Like did the sound keep going or did the sound also give out? Are you on a desktop or laptop? Did it happen on any specific interface screen or perhaps right at the end of a year?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Meme Poker Party posted:

Desktop, good hardware, no rhyme or reason as to the timing of the crash that I could discern. The whole computer shuts down in the exact same way as if the power plug were yanked out (except it restarts automatically). Instant black screen, fans whir down, no activity. No performance slowdown leading up to it to indicate system stress or memory leaks or whatever.

Coincidentally, it just happened moments ago playing Stellaris. So now I dunno if it's some really obscure issue related to Paradox games or if I have a hardware problem. But I've played plenty of Barotrauma and XCOM 2 lately, and even a good bit of 3D rendering on this computer, with no problems. I'm gonna pop open the case now and see if anything seems amiss.

I had a computer that would exactly do this when overheating, but I don't think Paradox games would heat up your computer that much. Still probably worth checking

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Glad everything worked out, back to hearts of iron and lizard titties

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Germany wins way too much in my singleplayer experiences (I mostly just play minor nations and get involved way late in the war) which is really weird in a WW2 strategy game that tries to be at all realistic. That isn't to say I don't enjoy scenarios where Germany becomes a massive global threat that somehow wins a war on like 3 fronts but that should be an ahistorical path imo. Because if it's historical then Hitler should be loving up and production should suffer more.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Meme Poker Party posted:

Yeah I never understood the obsessing over giving Germany some ahistorical advantages. The entire game is predicated on several very ahistorical gimmes for the sake of gameplay.

I agree, the only part that poops in my cheerios is calling that "historic" mode

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

One thing I didn't know until it happened to me was that if you try to go Communist as Sweden then the UK will probably declare war on you.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I keep wanting to buy la resistance because of the armored cars and then I remember it comes with the espionage system and just lol no

It's not even like I want the armored cars because I think they'll be useful, I just think armored cars are really really cool

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah as someone who mostly plays teeny tiny countries I feel like installing la resistance will just give all the major powers another way to own my behind

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm monumentally bad at hearts of iron despite playing for hundreds of hours but one of my favorite parts of playing minor nations is seeing what I can do with subs.

One time I played as the Phillipines and I did that by filling every square inch of water with mines from a fleet of minelaying submarines, and then I had a fleet of regular submarines to gently caress around and find out. I was able to fend off Japan and for someone who's bad at the game that felt pretty good :)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Some say build your train variants with +3 reliability but I can't resist just maxing out guns and agility

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

At what point will vanilla just look like Road to 56? Is it now?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah every game has people complaining about the meta, and it's usually hard to tell when fans are complaining too much but this has kind of shown me that Paradox genuinely might have no idea what they're doing and I'd be better off playing a different game altogether lol.

When I really get the HoI4 bug I'll just play Old World Blues or something.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I found Canada a little confusing to play as but I chalked it up to me being absolutely poo poo at this game

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah I don't think that works even in civilian mode anymore

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Bramble posted:

I have played about 100 hours of HOI4 and only 10 of them were in the base game itself. Instead I've been hitting up the Old World Blues mod, a Fallout-themed total conversion. It models the western US and Mexico around the time of the events in Fallout: New Vegas. This screenshot is from the end of my Legion campaign after I finally managed to takeout the New California Republic and the Western Brotherhood of Steel. One of my favorite things about this mod is how well-written it is. It's clear the creators are experts on Fallout lore, but the stuff they need to make up they do a really good job with. Definitely give it a shot if you are looking for something different, and like to pretend the East Coast games Bethesda made didn't really happen!

Yeah Hoi4 has just become a vehicle to play Old World Blues for me.

Bayou Motors 4 lyfe

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Do mechanized infantry have a purpose in the meta? I love the concept of big armored trucks and would love a valid excuse to use them.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The only "unrealistic" part I can't stand about the division designer/combat meta is how fielding a historic division is 100% going to gently caress you badly. Especially something like an American armored division. Tanks, SPGs, Mechanized troops, Motorized troops, Light tanks, Armored cars, plus support companies, congratulations your division is now completely useless compared to a fat 40w division of pure tanks.

It's not realistic OR fun.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

efb

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

VostokProgram posted:

I did, I've been playing off and on since launch. There's a lot of potential in hoi4 but it seems paradox lacks the will to achieve it

See I think they have the will but just sort of lack focus.

Paradox dev : "People don't play Italy so instead of ever updating Italy let's give every single minor power in Europe a focus tree as big as the US or bigger."

Player : "People don't play Italy because of it's narrow and boring focus tree. More people would play it if you updated it."

Paradox dev : "I'm sorry I wasn't listening, I was busy giving Greece a focus tree the size of the United States and giving Poland one nuclear plant."

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

dont play vanilla

:hmmyes:

yeah I just play mods lol, but I'd like to play a more vanilla WW2 experience. Vanilla nor road to 56 really do it for me though.

e: One thing I'd really like to see is more incentive to be communist or democratic. Fascism is so much better than the others that it's genuinely hard to find strategy guides for a lot of smaller countries that don't involve fascism.

In the focus tree for minor nations fascists get an additional 7% recruitable population plus -10% training time. Democrats get... a tiny bit of help sending volunteer divisions and a stability boost.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ArchangeI posted:

It's more that so much has relied on Germany being fascist, Britain/US being democratic and Soviet Union being communist that giving any of these nations new focus trees requires a lot of tinkering in other places, which means there hasn't been time to fit Italy into the production schedule with the attention it needs (because ho boy it is not a good focus tree in tyool 2021).

I dunno I think it's pretty funny that you can go facsist as US or democratic as Germany but god forbid that Italy does anything differently