Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a good "how to play" guide anywhere? I'm a Paradox vet but never could figure out the HOI series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like to see a more fleshed out Americas, whether it is Mexican intervention in the Spanish Civil War, or ABC resistance to the United States, especially if the US goes down the Monroe doctrine path

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Welp just finished my first USSR game
Time to try to figure out naval combat

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Carriers are awesome

I'm sinking like five battleships at a time with minimal destroyer losses

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soviets deny Balta, so there's no East/West German votes, so Adenauer led whatever the Democratic tag for German Reich is, except I had attacked Germany so early they never got any of the Baltic ideas, the Democratic Germany decide to go to war against the allies

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea how to fight in low supply

Going Japan to take on the Soviets and getting bogged down in Siberia

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's 42 and I'm still in Siberia so gently caress this

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every game I play, Germany gets rolled by UK, then Italy takes over the continent, whether it's in the Axis or not

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also nukes should damage units in the territory they're in

I dropped like twenty nukes on Japan as Soviets without a navy to try to get them to surrender because I couldn't get through their 100+ divisions stationed on the home islands

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah airfield UI sucks poo poo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played Czech once and got steamrolled by Germany through level 10 forts and I wonder what the gently caress I did wrong

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
France, at least, I had enough divisions to hold the Maginot line when war broke out in 36 over the Rheinland

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love playing the Soviets and sending tank volunteers to Spain (winning the civil war) and China/PRC to beat the Japanese

Silly how five divisions of armor can tip an infantry war

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nationalist Spain auto joining the Axis while it's getting its poo poo kicked in is one of the dumb design things about this game

I've also never seen Japan do anything outside of China

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rohm's dead to years before the game starts

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did aKaiser Germany run and everyone is in the Allies except communist Spain and Norway (???) joined Japan, and the Polish alliance runs from Romans through the Baltics

I have no idea how to do naval combat, I have like 150 divisions of infant and 25 of tanks, which I can't use without getting hosed by lack of supply

How do you late game war

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Day one justify against Poland as USSR = lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
just finished a Maoist communist china run, I learned a lot about how fighting works, and I showed that an almost all-infantry army can win just by attrition, because I wound up with 70m manpower still in 1945

I need to figure out supply though, because it was killing me at the end, as well as lack of oil

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love when they gently caress up peace treaties and wind up with three Germanys, including one with Hitler still in power

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember Hearts of Iron 3?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My first game had Soviet + Nazis fighting against communist France and fascist UK, with UK and Italy in pact of Rome together but at war with each other

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stairmaster posted:

It's kind of hosed up you can't introduce a new ship type into service without naval xp. Also upgrading said ships.

It should just cause 50% more for the first ship on a production line

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they adopted the ship design for tanks, researching hulls and armaments separately

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or just fight the civil war it's not that hard

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now inavading Columbia is tough. I landed 7 divisions to the South thinking there was a port there because it seemed that way on the map and well no dice

Pushing a 30v30 one provide wife fight sucks poo poo so far, thinking of just running a 40 width all arty division to blast them to poo poo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i pulled all my troops to new england before firing the civil war and just swept west from there, the war shouldn't last long enough that the production from the west coast matters, not that the confederacy will even move fast enough to seize unguarded territory

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
intentionally fire off the civil war with all your troops in mexico city

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy crap I'm bad at this game and isn't my infantry way too tight wasting millions ok manpower across a front. O really don't need to keep 220 width in a single province

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
ugh invading soviet union is such a loving slog through god drat forests

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobius42 posted:

What is the deal with peace conferences? I have tried Axis Netherlands a few times now and even if I paint France in orange and capture the VPs, I don't get a chance to claim land. I even ignored the call to arms for allies and still get shafted when they declare on France separately. When I get to the peace screen, Germany/Italy has already claimed everything and I am left with ~500 points that I can't spend.

Territory isn't the totality of war contribution, combat plays a role too

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Kaiser joined the Allies to take on the communist international which had taken root in France, only for Japan to join fascist Mexico in the Hispanic Alliance, which was at war with the Allied US and proceed to take over Oceania and India. In the meantime, the US government fell to an internal communist revolution, but stayed in the Allies for some reason (?), occupying what had been decolonized Canada which had been annexed by Japan. Germany never joined the war against the Hispanic Alliance, and has neutral Miedymorze to its east with whom it is on good terms since dismantling the USSR together.

It's 1946, and Germany doesn't need to concern itself with the pissing match between the British and Japanese navies over Mexico and India.

Guess I'm done with this playthrough because I don't see the point in staying around another 5 years of nothing

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

xthetenth posted:

I think you could go the other way, and make individual designs, be they heavy, light or medium, stem from a common tech trunk. If you've done all the research to make a good '40 light tank, you've got a decent amount of the legwork out of the way for any other '40 tank. That'd even be something you could do with a mod, even if it'd likely be a bit clunky.

The naval way of representing guns/armor/engines would work great on tanks and airplanes too, especially tanks

Towed gun research should really tie in to tanks, too, and actual tanks should cost more in production than tank destroyers/spg which don't have turrets, but get that breakthrough

anyway thanks for coming to my ted talk

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 6, 2019

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHISHKABOB posted:

I forget if you can land your planes in their territory if you ask for military access.

no

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuligin posted:

tank designer seems like it just follows inevitably at this point. i think it would own, as long as i can create some ratte-inspired obscenity mounted with battleship guns, so crushingly slow and heavy and fuel inefficient that it damages infrastructure just by existing
and i will name it Fist of the Red Star :ussr:

having the loving tank have cost and fuel consumption based on engine/armor/gun would be so much better than what we have now

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So seriously I need help with fleets

Patrol is dd with radar or sonar or light cruisers with planes, strike is ???? convoy raiding?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JerikTelorian posted:

Patrol: DD, CL. Sensors are good here; I like to put good radar and planes on the CL for spotting and put sonar on the DD for finding subs; depth charges are mandatory on the DDs but less important for the CL. I try to keep the CLs light to keep their speed up. Speed and low fuel consumption are king for Patrol.

Should I bother with guns or just sonar/radar/planes/depth charges?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

HerraS posted:

boo hiss you cant go through limited intervention or neutrality act anymore if you dont want to stay democratic, rip 6 tech slot commie us

Do it before you go communist

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doing Japan, and declaring on US got me turbofucked when the proceeded to kill my entire navy and kill my steel import convoys

ah well, I'm bad at navy

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you manage to annex somebody? I send them the whole time of Lend-Lease and it gives me less than 1 puppet score monthly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
do field marshal and general skills (not traits) add up?