Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Stairmaster posted:

I think it's cool that the major nations have unique tank tech trees.

There isn't any difference statwise - it's just a picture and some text, same as every HoI game.

The interesting new bit is armament companies that modify every vehicle researched in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Verviticus posted:

this game i assume fixes the thing where id tell bombers to hit, say, london, and they'd go off and indefinitely bomb some shithole province that shared its territory, right

"bomb uh, generally, in this area, sort of" *blasts the poo poo out of the same field for 3 years*

No

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

I have one very important question about HoI4: If you play as Germany can you build the utterly impractical and yet awesome super weapons that Germany was working on in WW2? Up to and including the cannon that could fire on England from Europe.

No

You'll spam infantry and you'll like it

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

cKnoor posted:

Last WWW was Daniel playing Poland and not having enough time / resources for anything else. So I don't really think you can look at that and assuming infantry swarms are OP....

And the one before was Hungary where he used nothing but infantry swarms (converting his starting cavalry to infantry was a nice touch), the one before that was infantry swarm Japan, and the one before that was Germany where he used infantry swarms...

On Tuesday we got to see France gearing up for infantry swarm warfare though, that was a change of pace

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Groogy posted:

He uses tanks as well, but I think most people are referring to his minor game where he simply don't have the industry to even afford tanks.

The really damning one is his Germany game. You don't really expect much tank usage from someone playing Hungary or Japan, but you do expect it of Germany. Instead we just got Daniel gleefully mashing on the "deploy 40 more untrained infantry divisions" button.

quote:

But if you mean to have a majority of tanks

No, that'd be idiotic and I'm not sure how you even got that from what you're reading here.

The issues I have with the tanks we've seen so far are:

1. Tanks are always far down the list of research priorities. Industry, infantry equipment and doctrine have always been prioritised over it.

2. Infantry equipment takes priority over everything else. Tanks usually get one poxy factory just to keep the line going.

3. Even when researched and built, tank units just get lumped into the infantry mob under the same field marshal, and effectively used as though they were infantry. No use of panzer leader generals to make the most of them, no specific orders to create or exploit breakthroughs.

Tank divisions were the "superstar" land units in WW2. If they're not worth the time to research, the industry to build, or the attention to give specific orders to, I think the game is worse than it could be. Tank units are expensive in terms of research, industry, and resources. If they're not also extremely powerful, nobody will bother to build any.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Groogy posted:

But he was using tanks? I saw them, specifically also when he was defending against the naval Invasions and fighting in Italy. Just because he isn't training more doesn't mean he doesn't already have them employed. You could also see several times in his production screen that he was producing Tank equipment to supply the tanks in the field. If I remember correctly he had like two lines of production for Panzer II or Panzer III, don't remember exactly.

His use of tanks was vanishingly small compared to his use of infantry. I don't want to go back and find quotes or count the divisions, but even Daniel himself was emphasising that he was going with an "infantry-heavy" approach that game.

quote:

Producing more infantry is his only choice if he wants to be able to fight on equal terms with the USA, they have unlimited IC and unlimited manpower in comparison to Germany. They need to rack up the bodies to build literally walls against them.

You're arguing that building tanks is a bad use of industry for Germany in World War 2. I think it's more likely that the tanks in HoI4 are underpowered compared to the trouble (research, industry, resources) that they take to build, so Daniel doesn't bother with them.

Gort fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 20, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Groogy posted:

I am not. I am arguing that he is not producing moe tanks because it would require him to switch more production lines from other things to Tanks and lose the production efficiency he currently has.

Where "other things" means infantry equipment. Isn't it a little worrying that the priorities are always the same, with infantry equipment always taking the lion's share of production?

quote:

The production lines he already have is enough to keep his current tank divisions supplied and they are enough to do the moves he wants to do. Tanks are kinda wasted on guarding a coast line from Spain to Scandinavia or invading the USSR (since their reliability would just make too many of them breakdown and his industry would be bottlenecked on that). But they are employed where they actually excel as a task force, which means he doesn't need to build more.

He massively increased the number of infantry divisions in his army. Did he even build one extra tank division?

quote:

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

This is kinda making my mind boggle. Tanks are perfect for invading the USSR. That's what they're for.

The way you're talking it sounds like you think tanks are some sort of super-expensive prestige-weapon, like super-heavy battleships, where you only build them if you have mountains of industry to spare, while if you actually want to fight and win wars you just shovel infantry at your opposition.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Groogy posted:

It does not, are you making things up, he switched to a heavy artillery production towards the end game as he realized what he was doing wrong. He was also producing tons of planes and etc. But yes Infantry equipment will always take up a big part of your production lines since it will always be the biggest part of your army.

Just looking at one of the videos again, I see he has 82 factories making infantry equipment (with it set up so any future factories he acquires immediately get set to building more infantry equipment) and 5 factories building tanks.

quote:

Yes because that is how it went... Germany lost something around 70% of its tanks. Of course it is Perfect for invading USSR and like fighting in the enormous swampland in Northern eastern Poland. They had no problems whatsoever with their tanks.... *roll eyes*

So, because Germany used tanks in its failed invasion of the USSR, tanks are a failed weapon that shouldn't be used? Nobody tell the Soviets.

Gort fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 20, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Groogy posted:

That's the game where he just taken over and is trying to fix the nation that Jakob left behind. He had massive deficits in his supplies.

OK, let's skip forward two videos.

Johan builds a far less lopsided force, but Johan loses. Daniel's play just puts me in mind of an experienced player of an unbalanced game who has learned what the "good" unit is and is using that to win.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jeoh posted:

I've only tuned into the World War Wednesdays since he played Hungary, but are there any streams where he played a bit further? Japan, I guess? I'd like to see the late game, where I imagine motorized and mechanized infantry play a much larger role.

The Germany vs Britain streams run until 1944.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

podcat posted:

About armor balance stuff. that germany vs britain game is old now. I think basically every unit stat has changed since then. At that point pure infantry was OP for sure production wise and bang for bucks and by having 3x bigger forces trumps most the ai could do tech wise (at that version manpower was also basically infinite too).

That gives me some hope. I did notice you guys had halved the manpower the various conscription laws gave. It'd be cool to see a USA, USSR or Germany game where lots of tanks got used (maybe USSR is the best since they won't have to worry about oil or navies as much as the USA or Germany) to put my mind fully at rest :)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Koesj posted:

What kind of amounts are you thinking of?

23,000 in 1941?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I picked 23,000 in 1941 because it was slightly higher than historical numbers for the USSR. It'd be cool to see a 1941 USSR with 23,000 tanks, is what my point was.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Koesj posted:

That is the number given for the USSR up until the start of Barbarossa though. But like I said, a couple of models might be better suited by the armored car-treatment in-game. An MG and some paper thin steel don't magically transform into an all-conquering tank if you put tracks beneath them.

There were only about a thousand each produced of T-38s and T-37s, and this game doesn't model armoured cars. (except maybe in the recon support units)

Riso posted:

Just comparing tanks is not enough, you need to compare total AFV production between the countries. America and Germany loved their tank destroyers.

I'm not sure we're comparing countries, just seeing if historical production is feasible ingame.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Infantry was OP at that point in development and they've changed the stats since then.

Groogy posted:

Meh I'm used to it, everybody on the Internet is a Game Designer. Was just annoying with the:

"Hey Daniel did you use tanks?"
"Yeah, specifically when I invaded British Raj I used a lot of them"
"Ok cool"

"NO HE DIDN'T USE TANKS" - Internet guy who watched the streams

Nice to see you not putting words in anyone's mouth.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

For real, though, tanks are good forever

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

New Poland DD

quote:

Hello everyone! We are getting close to release now with preorder started a few days ago.
When we posponed HOI4 release it was mostly a question of getting more time for programmers to fix bugs, which left our scripters and artists a little underused. We figured we would put this to use on adding more flavor and fun for some minor. We have a lot of polish players, so focusing on Poland seemed to be a good idea. We werent sure if we would get this complete on time, and since we wanted to see if this kind of content packs would be well received we figured the best idea was to make it a separate DLC from the base game. Things worked out and it got ready on time, so we decided we should just release it to everyone for free (this isn't just for preorder, you will get it whenever you buy HOI4, forever).
If this is popular we hope this is the first of a series of packs we'll make as DLC in the future.

So, what does it contain?
Focus tree.
2D art for tanks & planes, complete with flavor names.
2D art for ministers, generals and country leaders.
3D art for infantry and some more well known tanks and planes
Some achievements & events.

Polish Focuses
We had two rules when we designed these, first that the Polish focus tree could not be worse than the neutral one and secondly we felt it could not depend on other people's focus trees.

We made sure that all the benefits you get from neutral tree are still there, but made sure that they carried a lot more Polish flavour. In the end we were able to do some really cool things with Poland. The industrialization efforts of Poland are mainly based a short term national investment called the Four Year Plan. Parts of this plan included heavy investment in infrastructure, activation of the Old Polish Industrial Region and developing the Central Industrial Region. We have taken inspiration from the plan and implemented its different parts as branches of the Polish focus tree.

We also focused on the fact that Poland was way ahead of other countries when it came to the decryption of the German Enigma machine. To reflect this, Poland gets special focuses that give them them bonuses in computing and decryption.

When it came to diplomacy we wanted to add additional options for a Polish player who is surrounded by threats. Although we cannot stop Germany and the USSR from trying to carve up Poland (those focuses are elsewhere), we did feel we could have Poland seek accommodation with either power. If you play your cards right this could also lead to an alliance with them (which blocks the “carve up” focuses for that side).

That isn't the most interesting path, however, as digging around in history we stumbled across a rather ambitious Polish plan, called the Between the Seas Concept. This was a proposed alliance of countries between the Baltic, the Black Sea and the Mediterranean (one suggestion including Italy, no less). The idea ultimately failed due to a whole number of reasons which are too many to mention.

Still, it’s an intriguing idea, and one we felt we could something really cool with. If Poland chooses to go for the Between the Seas Concept they can set up an entire faction of their own. Although the Balkans are rocky ground for Poland, the Baltic States was an option. Especially if Poland could make up with Lithuania after the rather unfortunate disagreement over the status of Wilno (or Vilnius, depending on which side you were on). So Poland has the option to carve out its own little mini-faction in the center of Europe. From there it is up to a skillful Polish player to grow their alliance and stand strong against both East and West.

Equipment and names
For the Polish DLC we wanted Poland to feel like a fully fleshed out country. This included the names of equipment, which is a challenge for a country that wasn't too active in the research department after 1939. We therefore had to resolve to our least favorite tool when it comes to historical research: making things up.

If we look at ships, the Polish Navy during World War II was just a few destroyers and submarines. However, it gave us something to work with, and so for the names of more advanced classes we tried to followed the same naming convention as the ones we did have information for. That leaves only a slightly small gap, namely every other ship class. Time to get creative!

For light cruisers we went for Polish cities. As an added bonuses the naming order is by population size in the 1930s, a fun little detail for Polish fans. When it came to Heavy Cruisers we chose rivers in Poland, those mighty arteries binding the country together. The first class is named after the Polish Victory against the USSR in 1920 at the Battle of the Niemen (or course Poland would want to name a ship class after that). The follow up classes then get names after other rivers in Poland.

That's it for the easy ones, it’s time to dig a little deeper. We needed two names for Battlecruisers, and ultimately settled on territories that Poland felt were rightfully hers. For the mighty Battleships we went big and named them after Polish Royal dynasties. We saved the biggest man of Polish interwar politics for the biggest ship, the first Polish Super Heavy Battleship Class is the Pilsudski class. We needed two, though, so we also went for another famous Polish Marshall, Poniatowski (the man I am sure unbiased Polish historians agree would have won the Battle of Borodino, if only Napoleon would have released the Imperial Guard to support his flank attack). This left just the carriers and for ´those we went for Polish Kings, starting with the savior of Vienna, Jan Sobieski.

Next week we will be talking about tutorials, wiki and stuff like that. On wednesday we got another episode of World War Wednesday where Daniel & SteelVolt take the helm of communist France, and also more modding stream so make sure to tune in!

Also, remember to preorder so I can beg Fredrik for a real office T-34!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Phi230 posted:

One thing that worries me about HoI4 is that you need "naval supremacy" to conduct a naval invasion.

In WW2 there were many invasions done with one side having an air force/navy. Like Guadalcanal where the IJN showed up. Or Port Moresby where the USN showed up. Etc...

WIll we be able to launch invasions despite the enemy having a navy or do we have to dismantle their entire fleet before we can even invade small islands in the outer pacific.

Naval supremacy is a percentage. I think you need to be 75% in control of a sea zone to do a landing, so it's not like a single destroyer can meander past and prevent the whole thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Groogy posted:

But the thing is that tanks are a dead end, mechas are the future.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Germany generally is the best learning country since nobody will fight you until you're ready for them, and you have an easy progression of wars in Poland -> France -> Russia.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I understand that artillery is available as an attachment.

What is surprising is that it is not a default attachment for all nations, and all divisions in 1936, and also that it costs XP to get organic artillery (within a regiment) that lowers Org, and is also not a default in 1936.

It's just weirdly anachronistic.

Yeah, this is fair. The artillery should be WW1-model, but it should definitely be in there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Enjoy posted:

How do you know what the default attachments are

There are tens of hours of footage of people playing the game on the Internet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I am concerned that the naval combat is a lot weaker than the land combat. While it's pretty clear that the granularity of combat is a lot bigger than games like War in the East, land combat still looks like it has great potential for maneuver warfare, whereas navy combat looks like it's just "ships gonna fight each other in the same place, better have more ships in one place than the other guy."

Well, it's not like that's a bad start for a military strategy. The followups being, "Have better ships" and "Train your ship guys better".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The war in the Pacific will be a good test for whether HoI4 is a decent game or not. I love Darkest Hour, but when it comes to naval combat the AI is atrocious, the combat modelling is terrible and carrying out island-hopping campaigns is a slog.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Do people just want no discussion whatsoever or something

"What units I might build" seems like a relevant topic for a strategy game

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I wouldn't mind assault guns being a tank variant like tank destroyers. Give them more soft attack and less hard attack than tank destroyers, problem solved.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

texasmed posted:

tank destroyer = assault gun

Not really, no.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, if you were going to try and approximate an assault gun under the current system you'd just use a tank as the base unit, since it has decent armour and soft attack.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

Are generals more powerful in hoi4 than they were in 2? I never really paid all that much attention to them beyond making sure the big-names went with my armor corps.

Each point of skill is a 10% combat bonus. Plenty powerful.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It bugged me more that Germany was able to complete their entire doctrine tree (including the "desperate defense" stuff like conscripting the disabled and elderly if you so choose) before the war starts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

See, this is the kind of thing I like to see - infantry advancing in general, motorised and tanks making separate pushes at specific points under generals with relevant bonuses.

Anyone else kinda think the game needs a "general advance plan" order for armies that you want to generally advance? It always seems a bit unwieldy when we see players drawing an offensive line on the opposite border of countries they want to invade, and it always ends up with some of the enemy country being left out of the resulting attack.

It'd also be cool to be able to tell an army to just garrison my entire country instead of having to select every state separately.

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 30, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Phi230 posted:

It can be more than one though?

The Spanish Civil War can result in a democracy OR communist if the republic wins

Can it? I hadn't heard that

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

To the guy who said the wiki has been updated, you weren't kidding. There's shitloads of solid mechanical detail on land, air and sea warfare up that wasn't there before.

Including details like how night bombers literally cannot be intercepted without either RADAR or some air doctrines researched.

Edit: Although actually reading it, it looks like some typos remain:

quote:

Also important to note, there is a maximum number of air wings allowed in a combat simulation: 8. With each air wing currently able to support up to 1,000 aircraft, this means there's a theoretical limit to the number of aircraft that can enter a combat simulation: 1,000.

Looks like it confirms some elements I'd consider missing, like how naval bombardment cannot of itself hurt anything, it still just provides a combat modifier to land combat already going on. There was something cool about the US Navy's battlewagons rocking up on some tiny Pacific island and wrecking faces, then loving off back to Pearl.

Gort fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 31, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

They simply imported the Beta Wiki entries.

I suppose that means something if you had access to the Beta Wiki before three days ago

Top Hats Monthly posted:

As far as I can tell, it is. It's designed for the Chinese and I guess other Asian or South American countries

I'm not really convinced. A lot of the "mass assault" doctrine choices give you more manpower, which is quite a long way down the list of things China and the USSR need.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hambilderberglar posted:

If I'm reading the land doctrine page right, the mobile infantry and modern blitzkrieg path gives more bonuses than the blitzkrieg and modern blitzkrieg path? Or is the +bonus to Army more powerful than I am realising?
Grand battle plan also seems like a much stronger tree than it was in HoI3, though I always was partial to the portion that gave you infiltration assault bonuses.

The trees give bonuses to different things.

Tank organisation seems to be very valuable as well - you seem to only get 1-3 points of that where infantry organisation tends to be 5-10.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I can't watch streams because I always basically want to yell at people for doing things

YES

I'm not sure I'll be able to take today's WWW from what people are saying.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hambilderberglar posted:

So what is the Army bonus for? A hq unit only? Or the whole army? The extra speed toward mot and mec sounds really excellent if it doesnt lead to you outrunning your supply train.

"Army" means the whole army. There aren't any HQ units. You can't "outrun your supply train" unless you're referring to advancing without support and getting encircled.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The best wargames have six-hundred-layer simulations of every weapon and piece of equipment a division has while being effectively identical to "US divisions have 12 soft attack, Japanese ones have 10"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The info I read said that you lose 70% of the equipment of lost men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

dublish posted:

I don't think it was as OP even as Daniel made it look. Daniel's Germany was down to less manpower than Johan's Britain, I think. Daniel just got really lucky that he was able to kick in the USSR's teeth during their civil war or purges or whatever.

Well, if it wasn't OP then, it certainly isn't now. They basically halved manpower since then.