Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

az posted:

This does not apply when said means of propaganda are used for "popular education, defense against anti-constitutional agency, the arts or sciences, research or teaching, reporting of historical events or similar". Note that "arts" in the text of the law is not further defined and video games aren't classified as arts yet afaik and good luck wedging that amendment into the constitution.

Luckily, the German Basic Law doesn't try to define what is and isn't art, so no such amendment is required. The fact that, say, Indiana Jones movies can display swastikas while Indy games cannot is instead based on a nearly 20 year old ruling concerning Wolfenstein 3D.

A court today might very well decide differently, but the legal battle might take years, the outcome is uncertain, and sales of the game would be suspended until there is a final decision. Understandably, developers and publishers prefer to just remove the offending symbols.

In the case of Hearts of Iron IV, I really don't care all that much. Being forced to play the localized German version of Wolfenstein: The New Order where you fight against "the regime" was some major bullshit though. God forbid I shoot hundreds of simulated Nazis in the face, that would be bad somehow. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

MikeC posted:

I have been lurking the thread the past few days and he alarm bells ala HOI 3 seem to be sounding. On a scale of 1-10, how concerned are people who have actively followed development closely. The vibe the past few days have not been good 😞

Enough that I'll probably wait a week or so after release before I decide whether to pick this up. When Stellaris came out, people shat all over the Rowan Kaiser's IGN review for scoring it a 6.6 - a week after that people were arguing the same points Rowan had.

Plus I've been watching quill18's Italy series and it's been ridiculous how he's been gobbling up Africa almost unopposed. Nevermind him conquering all of France while the Germans have been bashing their heads against the Maginot Line.

So a 5-6 sounds about right.