Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Avocados posted:

Are there any penalties for having a massive standing army before a war? I'm used to the upkeep costs and penalties in EUIV

Nope, not as long as they are in zones with sufficient supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Dongattack posted:

How do you make custom theaters? I checked out a youtuber to see if he had lategame lag and stuttering when unpaused like i do, and i saw i he had like 10+ custom theaters for armor, marines, paratroopers and etc.

When you have an army selected you should be able to select an option to create a new theater in the theater list. You can rename them by selecting the little icon to the right of the theater name, as well as set reinforcement priority.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So I just found an interesting bug. If you quit a game while you have a faction invite pending and then start a new one as the same country you still have the faction invite in the new game.

Ethiopia game here I come. :getin:

That's amazing, paradox pls don't fix

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

Has anyone done the UK WC achievement and if so, how?

I think the key is keeping germany alive as long as possible. It may have changed in the patch since germany is apparently less DoW-happy, but in my experience nations are really eager to join the Allies once Germany declares on them and Germany has (had?) a tendency to declare on the whole world given time.

Edit: you just need everyone in the Allies, you don't need everything under your control for it to fire

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 30, 2016

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

Anyone have tips for playing as French Entente going for Big Entente? I overextended my first game and got shut down, second Yugoslavia decided the Entente wasn't a good idea and the Axis steamrolled Europe, Third I was prepared to sit and wait for Germany, but apparently they push through Switzerland if you fortify the Belgian border.

My general strategy has been to get as many countries in the Entente as I can and have production focus on fighters to ensure air support.

I just got this one a couple days ago. I ran through the entente focus tree first, I didn't invite anyone else to the alliance. After the first few industrial/electronic techs I researched the earliest heavy tanks, which I'd never done before. I made the standard 7 INF, 2 ART division and also made a duplicate with a single unit of INF swapped out for heavy tanks. I upgraded divisons to 'heavy infantry' as tanks accumulated.
When Germany made its play against czechoslovakia I made the choice to intervene. Most of my guys were on the German front, some on the Italian, I pushed ahead with both. On this attempt I didn't bother doing the maginot focuses, I didn't even utilize the defensive tree. The heavy tanks should allow you to push steadily forward and take losses at a much lower rate than the axis. You have to be mindful though because you're probably gonna end up with weird lopsided battle lines once both your German/Italian theater forces edge past Switzerland and merge. On my second attempt I had both Berlin and Rome when Italy pulled a last second manuever and sent a group of troops racing towards undefended Paris which basically caused me to instantly capitulate. Feeding every soldier you deploy to your battle lines is essential though, just make sure no one gets through.
Eventually I started to stall but around that time Germany declared on Poland and shifted a few of its troops which was enough to get me pushing forward again.
I recommend guaranteeing Poland so that there is a chance it joins you instead of the Allies. The very first time I attempted this I had actually suceeded in winning the war but Poland had joined the Allies and taken a single German province in the peace conference, loving me. It doesn't really matter either way though as long as you end it quickly enough and don't let Britain simply accumulate bombing warscore.
I never built a single plane in this run. Just guns, tanks, artillery, then finally anti-tank.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

uXs posted:

What do you mean by losing manpower? Casualties, or the manpower number in the top? Because as far as I know, that just goes down when you're building new divisions, ships, or planes.

As you suffer casualties replacements come from your manpower pool at the top, I believe.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Any tips to beat back Italy as ethiopia?

Someone before had mentioned that Italy never sends reinforcements to Ethiopia so the thing to do is just hole up in your capital and recruit until you've got enough divisons to push the Italians back.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Gort posted:

Anyone trying to play Ethiopia - realise that you can still buy steel from the UK even with no ports

I like to imagine that the convoys are hitting the somali coast full speed and launching themselves into Addis Ababa, fully laden with steel ingots.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

Maybe I don't understand how wars and peace work. I'm playing as Sweden and got called into the war of Russian aggression against Finland. After my modern armies came in and forced stalemate, USSR white peaced Finland and I was proud. But, somehow, I was given some of Finland and was still at war with Russia. Then, tooltips said I was the AGGRESSOR so no democracies would help me. What the hell?

That event actually causes you to declare a separate war on the USSR for some reason. You don't just join Finland in theirs.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

I have them just on air superiority, which I figured would cover it. I'll see what I can do about the airbases, but I'm invading the Southeastern US right now so there's Allied airbases in basically every direction, and I'm not sure I have the naval power or the manpower to spare for the Carribean too.

It's a little unclear, but Interception is the mission command for your fighters to target bombers.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Has anyone seen an AI Germany launch an invasion of England? One of the reasons I'm generally disinclined to play as an Axis power (other than the Germans) is that even if they take out the USSR and USA doesn't join the Allies, Hitler will never attempt to finish off the Brits, even as the Raj and the rest of the empire crumble to Japan. I feel like control of the Suez and India should definitely tank UK national unity. It's also kind of ridiculous just how many planes they can field; there should be a pilot pool that needs to be invested in to stop them from creating an infinitely expanding airforce from day 1.

That or deployed planes should start at low mission efficiency and gradually build as they perform their mission. GB may have a shitload of fighters in the channel but they have relatively low mission efficiency, assuming no one has been feeding them planes to shoot down. Germany may have fewer planes, but they are capable of operating at a much higher mission effeciency because they've been fighting all over Europe.
GB could try and gain experience for its fighters by using them in Europe but that obviously means not keeping them in the channel.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

A Shattered World scenario would be pretty sweet. All countries split into their states, each trying to unify their country.

Would probably be slow as hell though.

Texas-California Alliance the new Berlin-Moscow Pact.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

ExtraNoise posted:

Modern mod question for you guys:

I'm trying to come up with a new Germany fascist flag? I obviously want to avoid the swastika. What do you think of either of these?

I feel like the second one is somehow more period appropriate.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Curious what's particularly 90s about the second?

Oh whoops didn't realize that was for your modern mod, thought it was just a swastika replacement.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

uXs posted:

Only being able to end wars by totally conquering (well, until capitulation) seems kinda silly too. When a war is a total stalemate it should be possible to just call it a day after a while.

For a game set in any other era I'd agree, but given the narrow focus of this game on a period of world war I think it is fitting if occasionally frustrating that wars have to be fought to capitulation.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That makes sense when you have the big guys going at each other, since of course both sides would be aware of the risk of not completely defeating your enemy, but if one side is just one or more minors it'd probably make sense to allow for white peaces. I mean, as you say yourself, the focus is supposed to be on the world war, so being forced to fight a side show kinda goes counter to that.

Fair enough.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Every SA game I've done they've immediately given me an ultimatum.

At what date are you declaring your first war? If you change your ideology to fascist/comintern and start fabricating as soon as possible you should be able to declare on a number of nations before the US gets involved.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

I looked at the suppression value for cav and it said it was exactly the same. I don't know if that was a bug or if they patched it later.

I'm out so I can't check in game but the wiki lists cav at 2 supression and infantry at 1. I don't think it was a recent patch, they may have even mentioned it in one of the World War Wednesday streams prior to release.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Mr. Peepers posted:

Have you set the occupation policy to gentle, too? I think the button is at the bottom of your main country screen (when you click your flag in the top left).

I don't know how much of a difference that actually makes. In my last game I had all of my conquered territory set to gentlest and every building was getting damaged way faster than any got repaired. If you have to suppress with calvary regardless I don't know how much value the less harsh policies have.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Really think it needs to take longer for planes to start a mission after being moved to a new airbase. Also, if planes increased mission effeciency the longer they operated from a single airbase which got reset when they moved (similar to the production effeciency mechanic) then there would be some incentive to not just send all of your planes to whatever air zone needs it at that moment.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Cheen posted:

How you gonna know what you sunk if it's at the bottom of the ocean?

Haha I had the same complaint but fair enough, didn't consider that.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

In my recent UK world conquest game I spent an obscene amount of resources producing nearly every ship type for my carrier groups. I don't know if 2k destroyers would have been more effective, but my fleets were untouchable save for the occasional wave of hundreds of naval bombers.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Apoffys posted:

What's the best way to use a navy anyway? At the start of the game I usually have really weird fleets (depending on the nation), like a billion squadrons of 4 destroyers each. Is it better to have a bunch of small fleets operating in the same general area than to have doomstacks? To what extent should I be splitting up my navy, and what sorts of fleets should I have? Pure destroyer squadrons to patrol with?

An addition to what others have said, if there is a small group of subs giving you trouble and is impossible to engage, try sending an equivalent amount of destroyers after them. The subs should engage and get destroyed.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Interesting. What does America do if they can't join the Allies?

In my experience they join France's faction or they form the American Entente.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Ah, so it's a ship range thing? Thanks, that makes sense. Don't know why I didn't notice that before. On the plus side, it will help me resist the temptation to cheese by seizing all that sweet Dutch rubber in 36-37.

If you had been playing the UK before you probably wouldn't notice because their colony network allows them access to every sea zone at start.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Drop nuke a nuke on them and then hit them with marines while their org is low?

Edit: or the above, of course

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

It sucks that coordinating naval invasions with allies is nonexistent. If Germany, nationalist Spain, and my Scandinavian marines could land at once it'd be a piece of piss. But apparently we don't talk, even though we invented radios ten years ago.

Well duh, you all speak different languages.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Grevlek posted:

In the Superior Firepower tech, what does 'All Frontline Battalions' refer to?

All non-support battalions. So everything but the engineer battalion, recon battalion, support artillery, etc.

Mobile Warfare is for if your army is primarily armored/mechanized units. Both receive bonuses to their organization which lets them attack for longer periods and is helpful if they temporarily get cutoff during a breakthrough.

Superior Firepower generally improves the attack power of your divisions, but to get the most out of it your divisions should be well equipped with artillery and support battalions. I find myself using this one the most often, it is a pretty good fit for most countries.

Grand Battle Plan allows you to achieve some staggering planning bonuses, but I use it the least simply because it doesn't really fit my playstyle. I can see how it would be perfect for fighting an enemy that is strong defensively, but isn't putting all that much pressure on you across your territory.

Finally, Mass Assault is meant for overwhelming the enemy with manpower. You get a number of bonuses that affect your supply use allowing you to get more men than your enemy into low supply areas. You also can get a reduction to the combat width of your infantry which allows you to pack more men into your divisions without passing the 10/20/40 width breaking points.

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 28, 2016

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

There's a whole bunch of SS fanboys playing this game, judging from the Artwork section on Steam.

It actually disturbs me more than I thought it would.

I think it's the fact that they're proud of their SS fanboyism that gets me.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Harlen posted:

Does anyone have good strategies for Japan? Tried to fight China but I am slowly getting ground apart.

Definitely invest in logistics battalions in your divisions. Easy to ignore if you do most of your fighting in Europe, but they are a lifesaver in much of the rest of the world.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

by.a.teammate posted:

Okay I don't get capitulation. Both Italy and Germany have capitulated but they're still fighting in Germany, I get the colonies would keep going but what actually happens when they capitulate?

I believe a country loses all of its mainland territory except for provinces that have allied troops in them.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Friend Commuter posted:

I'm pretty sure the UK starts with more rubber than you could ever want, unless for some reason you go Free Trade. I haven't tried a world conquest run, but as general advice conquer the USA as soon as possible. They start ridiculously weak, get very strong after a few years, and once you've stolen their shitload of civ factories and resources you can build a zillion tanks and planes and just crush everything.
Yeah when I did it I took on America last. It was the late 40's, America was untouched by war up to that point, and it was just a horrendous slog. I genuinely thought I was going to run out of manpower but eventually I built up a massive stock of jet fighter 2's that I was able to use to deplete their airforce and then drop dozens of nukes on their heads. I came really close to running out of men, so you'll probably want to fight the US a lot sooner.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

professor_curly posted:

For the "One Empire" achievement where you need to control the whole world as Britain, how does the British Raj work? Do you need to finagle a way to declare war on it?

You only need everyone in the world to be a member of your faction, you don't need to directly control the entire world.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

Wouldn't democrats just leave fascist faction as soon as there's peace? That's what they tended to do for me at least, unlike the neutrals and puppets who are the real menace of this achievement.

I've noticed that nations tend to leave a faction if the faction leader changes ideology, but I don't think I've ever seen a nation flip democratic and then leave a non-democratic faction.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Avocados posted:

Something is weird when I get into warfare. My first game as US, I pushed the Germans out of France and all the way back to Berlin. However, the newly liberated territory was ALL France. Second game, I played as democratic spain and joined up with GB's faction of freedom. Despite singlehandedly liberating France, it was all red with GB's royal hues, even though they only had like, 1 or 2 divisions helping out. Its not always GB taking the credit though. I can't figure out whats happening.

Your avatar is downright adorable :kiddo:

Haha thanks. Years ago I found that guy in a bathroom sink in my mom's house. Eventually I was able to coax him out and I put him by a creek behind the house :3

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

There's no way to kick a country out of your faction even if you're the leader, right?

Nope unfortunately.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

spectralent posted:

Doing Rise of Persia mod now:

What's better to go for, Superior Firepower or Grand Battleplan? Being better at entrenching and being able to entrench better both seem like pluses with my zero manpower, but the early focus on soft attacks might be better for getting those breakthroughs in the middle of horrible mountains.

I think Superior Firepower is great. You can get massive planning bonuses from Grand Battleplan, but I feel like the 'always on' attack bonuses from SF allow your troops to more constantly punch above their weight.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Panch posted:

Assuming for a moment that you have no support brigades, would two 10 width divisions of all infantry function equally well in combat as a single 20 width division of all infantry?

The only difference in that case as far as I know is that the two 10 width divisions could attack from multiple provinces and get the flanking bonus, which the single 20 width would be unable to do.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

spectralent posted:

Huh; I've never seen that happen. How do you trigger that event?

I think germany needs to be losing a war when it makes its claims in Czechoslovakia, but I'm not positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Pharnakes posted:

Don't stick your pee pee in Afghanistan, how is this hard to understand?

You're not a real world power until you've been embarrassed by Afghanistan.