Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rookersh posted:

Wasn't 90% of the German "blitzkrieg" just the fact they had automatic weapons and an actual army, and were facing largely militias/very untrained groups with little experience that were still using single shot/preWW1 stuff?

Like I've read more then a few books that have gone into how absolute poo poo the Germans were at actual combat as soon as they faced a force that wasn't fighting them at either a tech disadvantage/had actually been in a conflict before. They pushed so quickly not because of advanced military techniques, but because they had the bigger guns initially.
there were machine guns in the german army (as well as in every army they fought), but the main infantry weapon that the wehrmacht used from the beginning to the end of the war was a single shot, bolt-action rifle whose design was little changed from an 1898 model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

StarMinstrel posted:

What was the tank the Russian made that was ready to drive out of the factory gates, and was basically a gun on a cardboard box with wheels? I remember a quote about how they would change speed while banging a hammer on a knob.
the russians are not orks, dude (they're chaos dwarfs)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Narrator posted:

I can't beat the Soviets as Germany anymore :( I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, they just always seem to have recruited heaps more divisions and I'm unable to get much in the way of breakthroughs/threaten their line. They more or less start pushing back immediately

*does a land war in asia*

*tries not to cry*

*cries anyway*

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Stellaris is months away. They just started talking about paid features this last week

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

They're definitely moving away from "All wars must be total" though. China can defeat Japan without invading the Home Islands next patch, for instance.

I feel like they (or some modder somewhere) should do this for America too. Dropping a couple of nukes on, like, DC and NYC should be enough to get them to sit down at the negotiating table. No need to go full Man In The High Castle, cause I bet that can get really tedious and dumb if you're playing some minor power.