Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009
Here's to hoping I don't get a 75% Red Mage rate like last year. And the previous year. :smithicide:

All of you complaining about Geomancers have obviously never been drowning in red mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Woo, it's the zerkiest time of year already.

Ciaphas posted:

One of these years I'll go read the rules and actually do this.

Maybe it'll be this year???

Hard to when you've never played FFV though v:shobon:v

My first FFV run was a Fiesta run, and I've done it every year since then, so.

...Which actually makes this my 6th year doing the Fiesta, geez.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ciaphas posted:

One of these years I'll go read the rules and actually do this.

Maybe it'll be this year???

Hard to when you've never played FFV though v:shobon:v

You can do it, and you have a massive support network of crazed ff5-obsessed hermits in this thread if you reach a difficult boss.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rixaxun posted:

All of you complaining about Geomancers have obviously never been drowning in red mages.

At least Red Mages can snap rods, heal (and use the Cure Staff), and apply buffs.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've never done a Fiesta before, but I've beaten FF5 without Blue Magic so how hard could it possibly be? I don't think I could really do more than one run considering burnout, but it should be a fun diversion.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

At least Red Mages can snap rods, heal (and use the Cure Staff), and apply buffs.

I've got 99 problems and I'll break each one

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Going to be doing my first Fiesta thanks to FFRK-induced nostalgia.

I've played FFV before, but never all the way through, but have paid tangential attention to the Fiestas in the past.

What are the known list of registration commands this year, or are they a mystery until registration officially starts? I remember reading about them a couple years ago but didn't see a list of any in the OP, and the official site is just a countdown timer. I'm assuming for a first-time complete playthrough anyway I should just stick to the default...

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Aerox posted:

I've played FFV before, but never all the way through, but have paid tangential attention to the Fiestas in the past.

What are the known list of registration commands this year, or are they a mystery until registration officially starts? I remember reading about them a couple years ago but didn't see a list of any in the OP, and the official site is just a countdown timer. I'm assuming for a first-time complete playthrough anyway I should just stick to the default...

Generally the reg commands are the same as the previous year's, with a new one thrown into the mix somewhere, being announced when registration opens. The ones for 2015 were Normal, Random, Chaos, Natural, Classic, No 750, 750 Only, BERSERKER RISK. There's apparently a secret command this year though, so we'll see.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Aerox posted:

We can't be sure about this year, but probably the only change will be the new "mystery" option. Here's a link to the other likely commands: http://fourjobfiesta.com/help.php

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

We can't be sure about this year, but probably the only change will be the new "mystery" option. Here's a link to the other likely commands: http://fourjobfiesta.com/help.php

Thanks!

What exactly is the difference between Normal, Random, and Chaos? Am I reading random right in that you could just theoretically get 4 water crystal jobs out the gate?

Pretty sure I want to do #natural, but not sure which main mode I'll end up on.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Normal means you get one of each job set. Random means you get one of each job set from at or before that crystal (so water gets wind and water, fire gets fire, wind and water, earth gets all four.) Chaos means you can get all 20 jobs from any crystal. Don't play Natural, it's the shittiest thing ever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Normal: Draws a job from that crystal when you get there (so Wind only from Wind, etc)
Random: Draws a job that you could potentially have when you get to a crystal (so Wind only from Wind, Wind/Water from Water, etc)
Chaos: Draws any job, duplicates possible.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I tried this two years ago and got like, halfway through the game before petering out unsuccessfully. Maybe now that I stream video games I can make a more determined run at it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Last time I managed to defeat Shinryu but, somehow, couldn't defeat Neo Exdeath. This time, THIS TIME, Imma do it.

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

They get all of one buff, and their healing is garbage past the midgame. Rod snapping is really all they got going for them. Geomancers at least let you ignore the most annoying kind of dungeon bullshit and can deal decent damage sometimes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Last time I managed to defeat Shinryu but, somehow, couldn't defeat Neo Exdeath. This time, THIS TIME, Imma do it.

Neo Exdeath can be a real bastard, especially for certain teams. I kind of think he's the hardest normal (i.e. non-optional/secret/postgame) final boss in the series.

There's a whole bunch of little tricks regulars use to grease the wheels of that encounter a little bit. Make sure you grab the Magic Lamp, for example. Check the document!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rixaxun posted:

Geomancers at least let you ignore the most annoying kind of dungeon bullshit

You know what else does?

Hi-Potions.

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what else does?

Hi-Potions.

Hi-Potions are also kinda tedious.

Really I just particularly hate red mages because I get the bastards so often. If I got so many geomancers I'd probably hate them a lot more too. This wouldn't be a problem if Gilgabot was actually fair and balanced rather than a filthy liar.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wasn't there a player who hit those pitfalls like a hundred times

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nihilarian posted:

Wasn't there a player who hit those pitfalls like a hundred times

Hi

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hello, what is your opinion on Geomancer vs. Red Mage

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dragoon > Dancer

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nihilarian posted:

Hello, what is your opinion on Geomancer vs. Red Mage

I'd rather have Red Mage

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Geomancer has poo poo stats in everything, Bells are a poor man's axe and pointless for anything but selling for money, Gaia is loving worthless for a majority of the game, Time Mage does all of its jobs better, there are pit traps in, like, one area.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

alcharagia posted:

I'd rather have Red Mage

alcharagia posted:

Geomancer has poo poo stats in everything, Bells are a poor man's axe and pointless for anything but selling for money, Gaia is loving worthless for a majority of the game, Time Mage does all of its jobs better, there are pit traps in, like, one area.
all right, cool

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Dragoon > Dancer

but it's true. Big chunk of HP, Aegis Shield and a way of just jumping over dumb NeoExdeath poo poo is way better than welp RNG said I do no damage.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lovely Senorita posted:

after a few years of this, I'm thoroughly convinced that Berserkers are a much better job to receive than Red Mage at any and all points

Berserkers are amazing if they get just one useful support skill

Even if it's just a magic job to boost the rune axe. More than once I've beaten the game with a Berserker as my only good damager.

IDK how much I'm gonna do this this year around, the last couple of years haven't really worked out great, I got fired in the middle of the fiesta in 2014 and I was transitioning into a new career in 2015. Maybe this'll be the year I get 20 wins. :unsmith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll actually finish this poo poo now that I'm on a desktop and therefore can play while watching videos instead of forgetting about the run in the fuckin' end-game

hell, I'll do a prep run

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anywhere say what the flying hell 750/no-750/chaos/natural/double dog dare/gently caress faris modes actually are, I have never figured out how to find anything on reddit

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ciaphas posted:

Does anywhere say what the flying hell 750/no-750/chaos/natural/double dog dare/gently caress faris modes actually are, I have never figured out how to find anything on reddit

Schwartzcough posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess I shoulda gone there instead of trying to trawl reddit :v: Thanks. Does "750" relating to rods refer to something in particular? That the gil price for rods or something?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Ciaphas posted:

Guess I shoulda gone there instead of trying to trawl reddit :v: Thanks. Does "750" relating to rods refer to something in particular? That the gil price for rods or something?

Indeed it is the price.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ciaphas posted:

Correct; specifically, the price of Fire, Ice and Thunder Rods.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man am I ever fuckin' smart. I guess Rods are pretty busted in this game, then, if they have their own categorizing

I should go read an LP or something before the thing starts so I have half a clue going in

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what did Chaos end up doing, just assign jobs indiscriminate of if you have crystal access?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Man am I ever fuckin' smart. I guess Rods are pretty busted in this game, then, if they have their own categorizing

I should go read an LP or something before the thing starts so I have half a clue going in

Play it blind like I did! Super fun, and maybe you'll even be surprised by a certain Battle.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Countblanc posted:

what did Chaos end up doing, just assign jobs indiscriminate of if you have crystal access?

I think I read somewhere it was weighted a bit towards later classes, but I could be wrong. But otherwise, yeah, it assigned you any job. excluding mime and the bonus dungeon classes of course.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Rods trivialize like the first third of the game but they depreciate in value real quick, iirc

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

if berserkers are about having to get obscene amounts of EXP, red mages are about obscene amounts of gil to afford all of those rods

I think it took about 40 or 50 rods to down Atomos and that's a middle-of-the-game boss; you're not allowed to break rods at all against big bad Omniscient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Play it blind like I did! Super fun, and maybe you'll even be surprised by a certain Battle.

No chance of that one, Big Bridge fuckin rules and Gilgamesh is a bro in FFXIV :v:

• Locked thread