Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Ah man, I can't wait for this to start. I hope the secret command is 4 zerkers. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Can't tell if serious...

4 Zerkers is "hard" in that it requires an incredible amount of patience to grind levels and hold fast-forward on your emulator and then load state a million times until the RNG stars align, all while having no input on battles outside of gearing up beforehand. It's the "incredibly tedious and soul-sucking" kind of hard, rather than "proving how much of a great gamer you are" hard.

The Berserker life isn't about making sound, well thought decisions.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Guess I shoulda gone there instead of trying to trawl reddit :v: Thanks. Does "750" relating to rods refer to something in particular? That the gil price for rods or something?

Indeed it is the price.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Countblanc posted:

what did Chaos end up doing, just assign jobs indiscriminate of if you have crystal access?

I think I read somewhere it was weighted a bit towards later classes, but I could be wrong. But otherwise, yeah, it assigned you any job. excluding mime and the bonus dungeon classes of course.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

I didn't do BERSERKERRISK last year, but will this time. If I'm unlucky enough to roll three zerks, what would be the best and worst jobs to have as my one non-berserker?

In Best I'd put white/blue mage. Both can buff and heal the team. After that, Ninja/Knight to really give the team damage.

For worst, thief or geomancer.

Edit: VVVVVV I suppose

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 20, 2016

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Regged Chaos Risk. Thank you to all donating to water the berzerker tree. Please give me all the zerkers, I want them.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Aw geez, there's gonna be so many berserkers this year. If I get quadzerkers, I'm allowed to job fair one or two of them away right?

Yes, but we're gonna frown at you if you do.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/737876818288619520

You heard the bot, more people gotta sign up for the risk™.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Asiina posted:

Does everyone else remember their very first fiesta team?

Mine was Monk/Summoner/Bard/Dragoon. It was a really good team if not a little boring on the physical side of things. I still have a soft spot for Summoner and Bard and secretly wish for them every year.

I didn't remember the team, but I did remember I've kept the victory pics from my runs so..

My first team was knight/zerk/zerk/dancer.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Poque posted:

No idea about the latter, but you're not seeing many crits in FF5 since they only exist for Monks and Samurai, I believe.

A bow or two can crit, but yeah, mostly just monks and samurai.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/741206712737234944

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Rage charity is the best charity.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

The first runner has made it to the bridge and you know what that means. The best song in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjEI2SzEYh4

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Countblanc posted:

its sorta hard to watch all four runs as someone who doesnt really know FFV that well, if i had to pick one to watch (and not hate-watch which seems to be what most people are doing), which would it be

Jenja is in the lead, so thats a fine one to watch.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

derra posted:

They going to the Trench to level?

They have to go there, donation incentive to get all the tablets.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Bufuman posted:

Huh, is Gilgabot not responding to anyone else? He's not sending me my Fire job and it's been 30 minutes since he responded to anything.

I know the message is at least going through, since my player page shows my third job.

It's Berserker. Joining Berserker and Berserker. TRIPLEZERKER! :black101::black101::black101:

Gilgabot probably hit the cap of tweets he can make. Check the site, that should update when you tweet him.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Got my last job for my 1st run. Ranger/Zerk/Zerk/White. Pretty good, can give Ranger rapid-fire or !white where needed, White Mage can get !animals, Equip Bow or Axe, I guess. Give them some offensive move before Holy. And the Zerks can get equip bow and !white for rune axe.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Oyster posted:

Having a Summoner, is it worth it to buy Chocobo/Sylph/Remora? I'm thinking if !Call only pulls from available summons I'd like to only get Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh/Syldra/Leviathan/Bahamut.

Personally, I've never found !call that useful. With the gold hairpin, they don't cost that much MP. You can usually get to the next savepoint to tent/cabin before you run out. And versus bosses, you want to do the most damage, not sometimes skip your turn summoning Ifrit.

Even still, the buyable summons are just not worth it !call or not.

Also, be sure to get Phoenix. poo poo's awesome.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

One more Tot for the pile. Team was Chaos Risk - Ranger / Berzerker / Berzerker / White Mage. Equip Bow ain't bad for a berzerker, some bows have better accuracy than axes and let them attack from back row. White Mage is just overall good and Ranger got to bring the pain with Rapid Chicken Knife.

Lenna gives no fucks.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Mikl posted:

I'm not familiar with the nickname, where's 750 town?

Thats Karnak. The next town after entering the meteor near Walse.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

:sigh: Istory falls has stuff I want but the thought of slogging through rugwizard doesn't excite me at all.

Also, how endgame viable is a zerker with equip bows fishing for rapid fire procs off hayate bow?

Im not sure about Hayate Bow, but a zerker with Yoichi's Bow is perfectly good endgame. I think by the time you get to the cleft, Hayate will lose its luster.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

I'm right near the end of World 1 in my chaos upgrade run. So far, I've had Summoner / Dancer / Knight. I got to max !Summon, skipped !call, completely skipped Dancer by immediately upgrading when I got it and am working on maxing knight. I'll do the last upgrade because what's the point if you don't roll the bones.

Even if I do get Berzerker last, I'll at least have two-handed.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

...I know it's gonna be a while before I get there but is it possible to take on the superbosses with this team? Beastmaster & Three Zerks

I don't think a single beastmaster can stun-lock Omega, so he might not be possible, but Shinryu is possible, if maybe convoluted. You'll want to catch a Mammon (Tree enemy from the forest of Moore) and store it on a berzerker so you can still use catch in the mean time. Then, when you face Shinryu, have your beastmaster wear the mirage vest, and one or more zerks wear the reflect ring. Release the mammon which casts berserk on a random party member until it targets the reflected member and thus berserk Shinryu. From there on just make sure you refresh the mirage vest by changing the weapon you're holding. Its just that simple.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

I did something similar last run by forgetting the magic lamp. I was all the way up to Twintania before I remembered. Walking back doesn't take that long, in my opinion at least. Really wanted the lamp to deal with Necrophobe's barriers and Ex-Death's butt.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

It's been about 20 years since I've played this, but it's been a fun run so far. I have knight/Summoner/Bard, which seems like a fairly balanced team so far. How should I work bard in? I could give him summons as a secondary or possibly equip longsword or whatever, but iirc they have bad stats for both. Is he just going to be a songbot? Does it give any indication on when stats like speed/lvl are maxed out?

A good thing about most of the abilities you get from leveling a job is they give the relevant stat(s) from that job. So if you give bard Equip Sword, they get the knight's strength score. Same with !summon and the summoner's magic score. I'd still go with giving him !summon, because even with the knight's strength, a bard is still squishy.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Don't the mastery bonuses only apply to freelancer and mime?

Thats for maxing the class out, the individual abilites themselves also pass along the stats you'd need to use the skill, so they would be useful on any class. Also, I should note the !call ability doesn't give you summoner's magic stat so that will only be good on magic classes.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Up to fire crystal now in a Chaos run, first time FF5 player. I have the feeling I'm getting really lucky with my job assignments so far for being on a Chaos run. Time Mage, Ninja, and now Mystic Knight.

Yep, those are some quality classes. Ninja and Mystic Knight go well together and giving Time mage !throw will do some good damage.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Well, to whoever pledged for Knights to take the chicken knife. Here you go.

I am currently* knight and I have taken the knife.

I'm doing Upgrade but still, technically I am correct and following the letter of the law.*

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Detheros posted:

Also I was too lazy to grind and instead relied on the ~12.5% chance of Catoblepas working.

Same for my last run. Got it on my second cast in my first fight against him.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Well gently caress me. I've played this game so many drat times and I never knew the shop changed in Karnak after the castle explodes. I just never noticed that third guy in the weapon/armor shop that sells a spear, ninja sword, whip, and bell.

I rolled Dragoon for my fire job and since Im using the Fiesta Mod, that was helpful information to find.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

DevNull posted:

What level did you need to be to land Calm? I am playing on Steam and haven't been able to land it at all. I was level 48 at the time. In fact, I can't hit him with anything at all.

Got White, Mystic, Beastmaster, and Samuri if anyone know the best way for the Steam version.

Steam version fixed Calm so it correctly only works on magical beasts. So, not gonna work on Omega.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Run #4, "Dance All Night" complete. Red/Dancer/Dragoon/Dancer. This team was strong World 1, weak World 2, and Strong again World 3. Hardest fights were the 4 crystals and world 2 Exdeath. NEO wasn't too bad. Rush down the Almagest part as fast as I can. It only got it off once, which my dragoon jumped over and picked everyone else up. After that the fight was just a matter of keeping the last two parts at equal health. Grand Cross wasn't much of a worry with three people wearing ribbons, though my dancers got hit with doom twice and mini once it didn't matter. The physical part would punch them dead before doom reached 0 and the mini was at the very end of the fight.

Can't wait to try #purechaos

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Half of Dracula posted:

My own Pure Chaos just got me Dragoon for Wind... The first spear available is the Trident in Jachol, right? Looks like it's daggers for a while.

As I recently found out, Karnak sells a spear after the castle explodes, so you can get a spear a little earlier. Talk to the guy walking around the weapon/armor shop.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I didn't realize poison damage didn't show up. Thanks for showing me that.

Its not exactly poison damage that doing the work, its a status effect Sap which slowly lowers your HP. Regular poison does show a number every time it happens.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Dylanthulhu posted:

So I'm doing my first run of FFV as a FJF. First class was Knight. Second one was Berserker. Anything I need to be careful about in the immediate future?

When you get to an island that looks like a crescent moon, kill Harvesters till they drop a Death Sickle. Its a better axe than what you can buy for a good while.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/746662229618003969

Thanks Gilgabot. That's very nice of you to say.

My team is Time Mage / Ranger / Black Mage / Freelancer. I just realized I can quick double rapid shot.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 25, 2016

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Raiad posted:

I'm the real reason the price of Mythril Skyrocketed

I'd like to announce my new business, Gil 4 Mythril.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

So far, my Random Upgrade run gave me Thief/Red Mage/Blue Mage. I honestly don't know if I want to unlock the final job, but then I suppose it doesn't matter too much. Even if it's horrible, the combination of !Flee and !Blue should see me through the rest of the game.

Only a 1 in 17 chance things go poorly.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

So, I've never beaten a Final Fantasy game. I own 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and Tactics in one form or another, as well as Final Fantasy Legend/SaGa. I have beaten Chrono Trigger and Front Mission 1. This seems like it might be a good way to actually knuckle down and beat it, if only because I won't feel bad asking for help.

I have it on GBA, as well as a :files: SNES version. Is there one that is "better" for this, or better to start with? I was leaning GBA because I could take it and play it on my commute, but maybe that version is super hard or something, I dunno.

Nah, GBA is a "definitive" version. It has some good quality of life features over the SNES, such has being able to walk faster without needing a thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Gilgabot answering all the tough questions.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/748302613318238208

• Locked thread