Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

It's been posited a few times that if RK knew better it would be Geomancer Risk, not Berserker Risk.

May he never ever figure this out. :ohdear:

Ah, yeah, crossposted from the FF Megathread:

Schwartzcough posted:

Geomancer risk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Huzzah! posted:

Ah man, I can't wait for this to start. I hope the secret command is 4 zerkers. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Can't tell if serious...

4 Zerkers is "hard" in that it requires an incredible amount of patience to grind levels and hold fast-forward on your emulator and then load state a million times until the RNG stars align, all while having no input on battles outside of gearing up beforehand. It's the "incredibly tedious and soul-sucking" kind of hard, rather than "proving how much of a great gamer you are" hard.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Aerox posted:

Going to be doing my first Fiesta thanks to FFRK-induced nostalgia.

I've played FFV before, but never all the way through, but have paid tangential attention to the Fiestas in the past.

What are the known list of registration commands this year, or are they a mystery until registration officially starts? I remember reading about them a couple years ago but didn't see a list of any in the OP, and the official site is just a countdown timer. I'm assuming for a first-time complete playthrough anyway I should just stick to the default...

We can't be sure about this year, but probably the only change will be the new "mystery" option. Here's a link to the other likely commands: http://fourjobfiesta.com/help.php

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

StrangeAeon posted:

Actually, now that I think of it, is there a concise rundown of the pros/cons of the different platforms to play FFV on? I think by now there's, what, 5? (SNES, GBA, PS1, Mobile, Steam)

SNES - never an officially released english version. There is a fan translation that's fine, if pretty dry.
GBA - looks a bit better than the SNES version. Was given a goofy/fun translation that gives the game a lot more character. Some very late-game bonus jobs that aren't included in the fiesta.
PS1 - Looks like the SNES version. Terrible translation (sometimes so bad it's good, but normally just kinda bad). Hard-coded "load times" that make opening any menus or starting battle slow. Worst version.
Mobile & Steam - Ugly as sin "HD" graphics. "Fixes" a few tricks from the other versions that make some battles much harder/impossible for some teams. Makes a few things slightly easier (e.g. Berserker targeting is no longer random, and always picks the closest target. Got rid of some "dummy" targets that made random-target abilities mostly useless).

Edit:

Kyrosiris posted:

SNES: Has access to the magic underflow and Ancient Library Teleport glitch

Ohh, what's the Ancient Library Teleport glitch?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So let's start the most important thing: brainstorming what we're gonna call Bartz.

Well Buttz is good, but so juvenile. So clearly we need to go even more juvenile with other parts of the anatomy.

Boobz.

Edit:

Kyrosiris posted:

It's almost definitely quad berserker for Everhate. :unsmith:

That's a very nice sentiment. :unsmith: I'm still gonna pass.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I believe it actually happened last year, I know I saw the screenshot. It was all lower case to make it "'tis no beast, just a goat!"

I still stand by naming him "dear" for the most patronizing of dialog.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

What the heck makes beastmaster good? Dancer I can see w/ quad strike damage, but on my last fiesta run I had Ninja/Bard/Beastmaster/Chemist and all my beastie ended up doing was double whipping from the back row.

I did manage to triple crown w/ that party, but I don't remember the beastmaster having anything to do with that.

Beastmaster is incredibly versatile. There are a ton of different effects you can get from monsters if you look stuff up in a FAQ, and know what challenges are coming up. Since most bosses can be cheesed in one way or another, there's a very high chance that having access to one or two choice monsters will let you get through almost any challenge. But again, it requires a pretty extensive knowledge of available cheese tactics, and then hunting for what monsters can pull that off by scouring FAQs, and then sometimes grabbing the monster earlier enough before it becomes unavailable for whatever reason... they can be a lot of work, and are usually more of a "last resort" if you can't beat bosses other ways. If nothing else, there are several monsters that do a fixed 25% max health damage (up to 9999) that can do big damage to bosses.

Also, !Calm is bugged in the SNES/GBA versions and can be used to stop-lock Omega. Beastmasters are one of the handful of classes that can pretty much guarantee you a Triple Crown.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The Mattybee posted:

Fixed that.

I was tearing my hair out trying to Calm Omega last year because it turns out that actually does not work on SNES.

Oh really? Huh, I thought the GBA version was miticulous in carrying over the same bugs intact (except for the thornlet underflow). I didn't think it introduced new ones.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

I only recently played ffv for the first time and I loving loved it, so I'm down to replay during the fiesta. I dunno if I'm actually up for the rules, because I'm so new, but I'll at least play along.

I played on mobile, which I think is probably the best version since it has amazing sprites for everything but the main characters and actually does a decent job of explaining what does what. Also, being able to play on the go without an actual gba cart is nice (I spend enough time at the computer as it is). And auto battle is a godsend

That being said, last time I played I followed a walk through exclusively because I couldn't figure out anything about the game.

This time around id like to poke into some of the other edges the game has to offer (like, I have no idea what rods are).

My classes last time were:
Butz - monk, ninja, ranger, chemist, geomancer
Lenna - berserker, ranger, white Mage, summoner
Krile - monk, thief, summoner, blue Mage
Faris - monk, thief, time Mage, blue Mage

I never figured out how to use chemist, so I would probably replace it with something else.

Of all the four job combinations, what's something that's a little less OP than what I previously chose but still fun? I could go for more jobs if that would be even more fun, as you can tell I'm not opposed to mindless grinding (auto battle helps a lot).

Nah, play along officially! People have beaten the game for the first time that way, so you can handle the challenge. There are lots of people here and in the IRC to answer questions for you.

Rods are a type of weapon most mage classes can use (like the Ice Rod, Fire Rod, Lightning Rod). They boost the corresponding elements' damage when equipped, and the elemental rods can be used as items during battle to cast a level 3 elemental spell of that type, and then the rod breaks. It's incredibly powerful for a good part of the game, so some people stock up on them at 750 gil a piece (hence the 750/no750 sign up types for mages only/ no mages).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Oyster posted:

I'm in. I'll be at SGDQ during the first week of July, so obviously won't be playing then, but this cause is a bit near and dear to me. I haven't played FF5 in several, several years, and I'm an OCD completionist whore - every character has every job maxed every time. Lots and lots of statue grinding. I'll be looking to you goons to help as I break that tendency.

Are you a speedrunner in the event? Or just observing?

And yeah, the FJF is a great way to break the overgrinding habit and just enjoy the game. Being limited to four jobs means the need to grind is minimized if not entirely eliminated.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mikl posted:

$5 for each question I ask and get answered in this thread.

I applaud your dedication to finishing, but why include this rule? Part of the fun of the fiesta is conferring in the thread on strats and how various mechanics work in the game. Making questions cost you big chunks of money seems unnecessary.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Lovely Senorita posted:

I killed NED with two berserkers and a red mage so yes

always risk it; go big or go home :twisted:

(Omniscient was hell; reflect ring/Mage Masher shenanigans :negative:)

Why were you relying on mage mashers when you had a Red Mage? :confused:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

zolthorg posted:

I think I usually have Geomancy and that trivializes the forest of Mua. I hate fighting random battles though mostly because of the exp gain. Last time I did a berserker run I was doing chaos and had to fight a bunch of bosses with 4 zerkers so I had to overlevel and a lot of the bosses directly after Flame? felt too easy

I think you're misremembering- the Forest of Moore is one of the places where geomancy is drat near useless. Too many times I've ended up there with Geomancer as my main damage dealer, and it's not pleasant.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Detheros posted:

Registered for a Chaos Berserker run...but we don't have a lot of berserkers yet...

There we go.

Reiterpallasch posted:

is posting these in vogue now

Reiterpallasch posted:

Corporate match incoming, too. Open the floodgates :getin:

wait I'm regging for chaosrisk

uh

uh-oh

InfernoBlade posted:

Alright I'm waffling here. I'm going to pledge $3500 but can't decide if I want to vote for a party or not.

Anyone want to suggest a party that would wreck Dragondarch yet still be somewhat fun to watch?

InfernoBlade posted:

Fair enough. Done.

Bless you, bless you kind (cruel) souls!

I was going to kick in $50, but, uh... don't want to overwater the tree... it's bad for the roots, you see....

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

nooooooooo

bard is better than beastmaster in a vacuum but it's broken in ways that are obsoleted by blue/chemist in terms of speed

beastmaster isn't

hey infernoblade yell at RK and make him change your vote!!

With that setup I doubt they'd bother to even use the Beastmaster- it's too fiddly; too much work when you have Chemist and Spellblade and Blue. Bard, on the other hand, will make sure they make quick work of NED (even more so than the other jobs allow).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nice work!
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/737865880470687744

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm just confused why RK thinks there's 14 zerks per risker. They're 10bux, not 1.

Because:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/737879733241798656

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You can also just go to the FJF main website, and use the pull-down menus to select the type of run you want. It will auto-populate a tweet for you.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

The difference between the Fire Ship and the Ronkan Ruins is that you are supposed to have Geomancers by the point you get to Ronka.

The crystal dungeons are just garbage for !Gaia full stop.

At least Geomancers destroy all the random battles in the Ronkan Ruins.... They're easy mode for that section.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Tots for Tots

I'll give this a shot too, even if I'm not sure how fast I'll be finishing this year. It's gonna be a rough month.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 3, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

If I get the first triple crown again this year, then everyone will remember Doctor Tot.

Look at this scrub grinding to level 5. :smuggo: Do you even fiesta, bro?

KataraniSword posted:

RK's comments on reddit seem to really strongly suggest that it, and not #regeverhate, is in fact the secret command.

What if #regeverhate is, like, the anti-Berserker Risk reg mode, in remembrance of Everhate. His spirit takes the berserkers unto him, so you don't have to. 0% Berserker chance.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

:siren: I will donate $5.01, without limit, for each person who gets Knight and takes the drat Chicken Knife. :siren:

Quote this and post a screenshot of...whatever, honestly, when you beat Exdeath.

:stare: You might be shelling out a lot of money....

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It is definitely hold L+R in the GBA version. I know this because the L button on my DS Lite is broken half the time unless I blow hard or scrub it with a toothbrush.

Also, if you didn't open the chest in the training hall with the Goblin inside it, you can use that to run away from encounters relatively quickly (and since you're emulating you could probably literally write an AHK script that hits A, then A again, then holds L+R for a while, then repeats)

I've done this in the pyramid with one of the trapped chests on VBA, and it involved simply setting up "A" on auto-fire and putting a rubber band around the L&R buttons on the controller. Setting up scripts sounds way more complicated.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mega64 posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

I'm finally finished with my Status Effect guide. This lists every single way you can inflict status effects on enemies as well as to get buffs on your party. Hopefully this will be helpful for some of you!

Let me know in the thread or through PMs if I missed anything or got anything wrong. But besides that it should be finished besides maybe reorganizing stuff a bit since I mostly followed the order the algorithms guide listed stuff under.

Thanks for this! I used your boss guide a lot the last year or two as well.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

Against Byblos, they have an easier time than most physical classes, since !Buildup lets them take half as many counter attacks.

On the other hand, their damage is completely dependent on their level, and Byblos has a move that cuts level in half (and can be stacked, I believe). Combined with his counter-protect, he can nullify a monk's damage potential pretty quickly.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, the author did seem very good about receiving feedback and continuing to tweak things. Even the old build I played when people complained about it a lot, I don't remember the WoR bosses taking that long. I mean, they're definitely higher than the base game, but you could chump WoR bosses in the base game so hard that it wasn't funny.

Really, what the BNW mod does best is make every character good, distinct, and evenly balanced. I had a hard time at Kefka's tower deciding who to leave behind because pretty much everyone was useful.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I left around 5 EST for family dinner, came back just now and Dragondarch is still on World loving One.

And it looks like he's making extensive use of Fast Forward, which won't be allowed in the actual run.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

InfernoBlade posted:

I hope everyone enjoys their berserkers. My wallet is off sobbing in the corner. Looks like 1047 is the number that's going out to riskers.

It's up to 1050 zerkers for 810 riskers. That's 1.29 zerkers per risker, but since a lot of the riskers can't get double zerkers, the poor chaos people should expect 2-3 zerkers a piece! :suicide:

Edit: And DD is on NED! It could happen, and soonish!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

And the final blow was with Goblin Punch. Pay up, pledger!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I ended up grinding to 41 so at least my beastmaster could survive Almagest, but at least I got the triple crown with my Beast/zerk/zerk/Dancer squad:

For yet another fiesta, a chicken-knifing Dancer was the key to victory (although the two !Released monsters for 20K damage to all parts certainly helped).

Found out I was too late for the Tot pledge, but at least I never forgot Doctor Tot.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

OzFactor posted:

What floor of the meatfort are the Black Warlocks on? My worthless red mage army needs another tool in their tiny, ineffective toolbelt.

The 5th and the 11th floors give you a 70% chance to run into formations with 2 black warlocks. Those are your best bets.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Dwall posted:

I knew Gilgabot was trying to lull me into a false sense of security with my first run! Now I get this poo poo:

Jeez, congratulations on your triple crown with that OP team.

(Seriously, though, congratulations on your triple crown. Bard supremacy.)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Dwall posted:

Yeah, I've already got a plan for the triple crown; Apollo's Harp, Power Staff, and abusing Mirage Vests should handle Shinryu. Omega is gonna either be Romeo-locked, or worn down by reflected zombies while one guy hides.

On the bright side, I probably won't get a team this bad again for a while.

Go for bard-locking Omega and hitting him with reflected Thundaras. I don't think you can kill omega with the reflected zombie strategy (that works for Shinryu). I think the only damaging ability Omega has that can be reflected is Atomic Ray, and I'm pretty sure he absorbs Fire so that won't help you.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Tobacco Grower posted:

Doing a bit of theorycrafting for the final boss. Team is Mystic Knight, Berzerker, Ranger, Thief. Everyone is level 30 or 31. I'd rather not have to grind additional levels. Here's what I'm thinking for setups:

Everyone: Hermes Sandals
Mystic Knight: Front row, chicken knife, Aegis shield, Genji helm, Genji armor. !RapidFire
Berzerker: Back row, Thor's hammer, Aegis shield, crystal helm, crystal armor (berserkers can equip the crystal gear, right?). Artful Dodger
Ranger: Back row, Artemis bow, tiger mask, mirage vest. Not sure if I want Magic Barrier, !RapidFire, or !Spellblade and a knife.
Thief: Back row, main gauche, tiger mask, mirage vest (stole a second one). Magic Barrier

I want the thief to be a dodgy item-bot, hence the main gauche and mirage vest. Since they'd be primarily reviving and healing the others, I can't think of a better ability than Magic Barrier - if it triggers and they're not immediately killed, it could at least help reduce incoming magic damage. The Mystic Knight can use Drain and !RapidFire to keep herself topped-off; one fewer person to heal. The ranger will most likely be !Aim-ing at the highest priority target, or be a supplemental item-bot. The berserker will hopefully not miss too much, and at least be able to tank some physical and magic damage. Of course, Magic Lamp to get rid of the back part.

Is this viable? Anyone have some tweaks to the setup? It might not have enough damage output as it is. I could see giving the thief the chicken knife and !RapidFire (or !Mug, for targeted damage), and giving the mystic knight the Enhancer instead.

I think it's viable. Typically the biggest threat in the fight is Almagest, and with Mystic Knight that's not a problem. BE AWARE, though- the Chicken Knife on your spellblade can gently caress you. I've had an experience where I cast Break Blade, and then the !Flee proc on the chicken knife happened every single turn until Almagest went off and wiped me. For your sanity, it might be best to not put the CK on your mystic knight until that part is dead.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Right, I forgot that Stop removes evasion. :downs: Does !Calm count as Stop for that?

Sure does! It just let my two zerkers slowly plink omega to death with Rune Axe/Thor's Hammer.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

For my second run, Gilgabot bestowed upon me: Dragoon / Dragoon / Dragoon / Summoner. Yeah.

Summoner will carry me to victory, but I won't be beating Omega this time. Ah, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Finally got around to digging into my run, Black Mage/Summoner so far, so basically easy street. Is there a simple guide out there that lists what bosses are weak to certain statuses? It's sort of a pain to pull up the bestiary page for each one individually.

This forum's Mega64 put together this boss guide: https://sites.google.com/site/mega64sa/ff5/ff5-boss-guide

• Locked thread