Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Last time I managed to defeat Shinryu but, somehow, couldn't defeat Neo Exdeath. This time, THIS TIME, Imma do it.

Neo Exdeath can be a real bastard, especially for certain teams. I kind of think he's the hardest normal (i.e. non-optional/secret/postgame) final boss in the series.

There's a whole bunch of little tricks regulars use to grease the wheels of that encounter a little bit. Make sure you grab the Magic Lamp, for example. Check the document!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dragoon > Dancer

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

W.T. Fits posted:

Here's my breakdown of useful passives for Berserkers:

Crazy good and thorough. !White and !Red are also cool because they let you put your Berserker(s) MP to work outside of battle for healing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RME posted:

I figured it would be alright, it just seems a bit boring to get stuck in freelancer because all you got were later jobs

Kind of.

One of the weirder things about Freelancer is that it isn't actually the worst or most boring job in the game, even with two blank passive slots. The ability to equip anything is a pretty substantial boon that enables them to take advantage of every unique/interesting piece of gear in the game.

alcharagia posted:

A singular Berserker is one of the better classes you can get

It's not bad but it's still kind of a bummer on Normal b/c three of the other four water jobs are fantastic and more fun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather have an empty character slot than a Dancer because an empty character slot won't make me mad but a Dancer who keeps doing the Mystery Waltz or who gets dusted by a single Exdeath physical attack will

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Also Bartz is a woman? I didn't notice it when I played the GBA version.

No?

Faris is a woman who pretends to be a man to be taken seriously as a pirate and disguise her identity. Bartz is a dude.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Krile is unambiguously the best White Mage. Other good sprites: Faris Thief, Lenna Monk.

I actually think FF5 is one of the more difficult Final Fantasies, though, other than obviously for people playing without Fiesta rules who know all the little tricks, loopholes, and vulnerabilities bosses have. Omega Weapon was the first challenging optional superboss in the franchise and Neo Exdeath is one of the tougher "normal" final bosses to this day. Some of the midgame bosses like Archeoavis and W2 Exdeath can gently caress you up if you go into them blind and haven't been grinding to get super expensive skills, too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I basically only do normal and chaos now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I hate running normally, but when I get a Thief or Ninja I use their command versions constantly.

The idea of taking damage I would've taken fighting anyway while I'm trying to run drives me nuts.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zolthorg posted:

There's basically no way to get dicked over on the Void / Exdeath / Fork Tower in a random run. If you need it you'll have the tools to deal with it because crystal 1 and 2 classes are so foundational

Can Random not give duplicates anymore? Because back in the day it was capable of spitting out some pretty loving awful nightmare scenarios like two Monks and two Geomancers.

For some reason I'm tempted to do my second Classic run for an opener this year. I got two Knights and two White Mages last time. I'm really tempting fate.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

InfernoBlade posted:

Alright I'm waffling here. I'm going to pledge $3500 but can't decide if I want to vote for a party or not.

Anyone want to suggest a party that would wreck Dragondarch yet still be somewhat fun to watch?

I agree w/ the other dude. Good jobs like Summoner so we can get this poo poo on the road.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

derra posted:

I signed up for the fiesta on a whim and got through it 25 times, all Triple Crowns.

uhHHHH jesus

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Rainbow Dress is pretty drat good armor in general; it has better Def than all but the best heavy armors aside from the Confuse immunity and benefits to !Dance.

It doesn't make up for the Dancer's rear end Vit, but it's a decent suit for Travelers or if you're using Equip Ribbon for the headgear anyway. Keep Butts fabulous.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

3 geomancers against Ifrit

I did a Chaos party last year and got (I think) Thief and Geomancer for my first two jobs and Chemist for my third. I job faired after a few attempts on Ifrit.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AFAIK the only time the Brave Blade is really worthwhile is in a solo Knight or 4 Knight run, because you can't twohand the Chicken Knife. Maybe if you have a Knight and three mage jobs for the same reason?

And I don't think giving up the ability to run in a solo run of any kind is worth it, so ah...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

I've never been dealt Ranger

Same. Worse, the fire job I keep getting dealt in its place is Geomancer.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Choco1980 posted:

What if #blameeverhate is a trap and you get like, 4 white mages? :haw:

#blameeverhate giving you a random single class challenge (i.e. 4 of any specific job) would be kind of funny; that wouldn't be a terrible command

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Haha what the Christ. Doing chaos for my inaugural run this year and got Mystic Knight. Awesome.

Hit #water, and get... Samurai?!

My Dancer sense is tingling. But getting 3x Samurai would be kinda funny too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

Cripes. I vastly underestimated just how squishy Dancers were. :psyduck:

And Sword Dance does half damage in the back row!

look guys there's a reason I say it's the worst job every year.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

Job fair the bard into a fourth red mage.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

OzFactor posted:

Question for the group: am I better off giving my Monk axes or katanas? I'll be able to steal the really strong katana from the samurai guys in the tower, but I'm not sure what's better.

Without actually crunching numbers, I suspect the Rune Axe outdamages the Murakumo over time (which has to be "over time" b/c both weapon types are spiky; axes miss and katanas crit).

Keep in mind that Equip Katana lets you use the Masamune for Haste and Equip Axe lets you use Thor's Hammer for backrow defense, tho, so there's more to it than raw damage.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

I'd rather have four red mages over four berserkers

What a Sophie's Choice scenario that poo poo is.

Anyway, I think whether Red Mage or Berserker is more desirable is honestly a matter of context. What's your team composition otherwise? What bosses are you most likely to have trouble with?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AlphaKretin posted:

:fuckoff:
Complete impracticality of doing half the runs you could roll without speed up or save states aside, where does he actually claim to make this clear? :psyduck: It's certainly not anywhere on the website. That is RK and not a troll using his name, right? How does he expect all the streamers he endorses by having a Gilgabot command to note them to do their thing?

E: Where are the increasing numbers of players each year supposed to find a physical copy of a GBA game in 2016?

He also says he doesn't expect people to listen and isn't going to punish anyone for not listening, so who cares? Why are you angry? Dude's only giving his own opinion on an event he runs.

I see both sides of the argument, honestly. It's very loving obvious that FF4-6 need eshop releases on more modern platforms that aren't just ugly, fun-hating fuckery like the mobile versions of 5 and 6 or those Matrix Software DS abominations. At the same time, it's also obvious that the people who triple crown 30 times a year have to be playing on emulators and using frameskip 100% of the time, which however you feel about it isn't playing the actual game as intended. If part of the point of the event is to enjoy replaying FF5 and show off what a neat game it is, I feel like that's undermined by abusing the hell out of emulator features and running modded versions of the game. Like, if you can't do a four Berserker run without frameskip grinding... maybe don't sign up for Berserker Risk? Why torture yourself with something you know is ridiculous and impossible without "cheating"?

I emulate every year for convenience's sake, because I don't have the appropriate consoles on hand and the mobile/PC version is rear end, but I also like kind of get why he feels the way he feels. And as long as he's not being a Nazi about it, I'm not sure why anyone cares.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's a wash. GBA has mediocre bonus content and bug fixes, SNES looks better and has better audio quality.

Just don't play the PSX/PSN or mobile/Steam versions and you'll have a good time with FF6.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF6 is also a massive aesthetic achievement. It has one of the best videogame soundtracks of all time and its spritework (purely from a design sense rather than animation or w/e, though some of that stuff rules too) is on a different level from basically any 16-bit contemporaries.

It is like, uncool for Serious Gamers to care about that stuff, but it's a beautiful game even for the limitations of its platform.

EDIT: Oh, and in defense of 6's gameplay, several of the sins it commits are shared by the Empirically Perfect FF5. For example, magic is overpowered relative to most of the physical jobs, and while FF5 allows massive diversity and some weird game-breaking nonsense there's very little reason to explore any of it in a normal playthrough instead of relying on Summon and Rapidfire.

Baku fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 21, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah White/Summon/Mystic are three of the best jobs in the game and White Mage explicitly undermines the utility of Reflect Rings more than any other job I can think of, since Cura/Curaga bounce off Reflect. Summoner also has Carbuncle.

Reflect Rings are basically for poo poo parties to deal with a couple specific problem encounters, or for any party that has no reason not to be reflected 100% of the time to use as generic accessories until you get haste boots for everyone.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

The most eye-opening things for me when I went to GameFAQs for info on FFVI were that one, Gau is actually really great if you know what Rages to give him (as opposed to thinking he's worthless)

Rage is such a batshit ability. You have to wonder what compelled someone to suggest, and then others to follow through on, "what if every single monster in the game gave this character a different AI script?" There are over 200 Rages.

Were they trying to iterate on 5's Beastmaster?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captainsalami posted:

I just got time mage for water. Whats the game plan then? Lots if rods i guess for now?

Time Mages have a few other good tricks but rod spam is all you really need until the latter half of World 2, at which point they get Hastega, one of the best spells in the entire game. Then in the endgame they can do Quick bullshit.

Time Mage rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This is it: how the story of the Four Dancer run begins.

• Locked thread