Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:siren: THAT MEANS CLASSIC, TOO, SINCE IT'S NATURAL :siren:
:siren: THIS DOESN'T END UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1ST, STOP ASKING :v:

MANDATORY FIESTA LISTENING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2016 thread! In its fourth year running, this thread will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want. Much like the years before, we hope to bring lots of victories, lots of donations, and lots of berserkers from the Berserker Tree!

Quick Links: Goon IRC, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge. 2015 upped the stakes and added the much-beloved Chaos Mode, which was what we all wanted from Random all along - any job is possible from any crystal, and duplicates are possible, leading to a handful of Chaos Riskers ending up with :black101: FOUR. :black101: FREAKING. :black101: BERSERKERS. :black101: (RIP Everhate, The Chosen One)

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos). It goes a long way to help snap the decision paralysis that plagues a lot of first-time players of FFV, though.

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the littany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and IRC, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Note that for Natural and Chaos runs, you use Freelancers until you have obtained your assigned jobs. A Ranger/Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist Chaos run would use Freelancers until you get the Black Chocobo, and a White Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist Natural run has Faris as a Freelancer until the same.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it. Many goons do this every year.

:siren: NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTED ACCOUNT, YOU WILL HAVE EXTREME DIFFICULTY FIESTA-ING OFFICIALLY. Consider making a throwaway or PM me your twitter handle on SA and I'll give it to RK so he can have Gilgabot request to follow you. :siren:

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Sulla's Solo Single Class Challenges, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), The Spirit of FFV (has built-in "translation" of names/spells between versions) and IRC! We'll all be prattling away at #FFVFiesta on SynIRC.

Also, this year, forums poster Reiterpallasch made Enkibot! A riff on Gilgabot, you plug your jobs in to the app and it spits out advice based on your jobs. Collaboratively contributed to by those of us in IRC. (join IRC)

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath! (especially since your victory won't count, heh)

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regrand #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2016?

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/733092154671669248

(it is yet unknown if you are allowed to blame god)

There is also Upgrade, which is mutually exclusive with Natural, but is still bad. RK's words:

quote:

Upgrade can be added to any non Natural-run. To do so either tweet #upgrade to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

You will only use your Wind Job until you get your Water Job. Water until Fire, and then Fire until Earth. Then your Earth job will be the job you use until the end of the game. Any abilities learned from the previous jobs may be used.

Also also, 750 and No 750 are now modifiers! You can do CHAOS NO750 BERSERKER RISK and this is probably going to be hilarious.

Additionally, everything is still being run through :sigh: the official 4JF Subreddit.

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

2014 Infographic:

2015 Infographic:

Unlike in years, I will not be maintaining a list of winners or donors in the OP, sheerly because of the absolutely ridiculous volume of winners and donors. You guys were entirely too skilled and generous for me to keep up with. I'm really sorry. This does NOT mean you guys are off the hook from watering the Berserker Tree! Always more berserkers. Always.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Y'all made fanart. For the Fiesta. You're all the best. :swoon:

2014 Fanart

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Can of Worms is rad as hell and has made multiple FFV Advance patches, including the source of the above gif.
Fiesta State Mod (no mechanical changes, but does unlock all jobs at the start for Chaos mode games)
FFVA Balance Mod (actual mechanical changes) (changelog)

2015 Fanart

Mega64 takes on the trials and tribulations of the Omnizerker.

(What's Flarnith's art doing here?!)

(neongrey needs to be sure you heard him correctly.)

2016 Fanart

(Asterism has to face some tough choices.)

(Koobes decided to correct Mid a bit.)

(Let's just call this a work by Edward_Tohr and move on with life)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 25, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:siren: STOP ASKING ABOUT THE SEALED TEMPLE GOD DAMNIT JUST READ THIS INSTEAD :siren:

thanks alcharagia :h:

alcharagia posted:

hello this is a post about the sealed temple.

"It's my house!"

WHAT IS THE SEALED TEMPLE?

The Sealed Temple is an extra dungeon added to FF5 in the GBA version, and iOS if you're a stupid idiot who plays iOS. It is full of postgame-y nonsense, palette swaps, puzzles, and Enuo. He's a worthless piece of poo poo, so he also starts with P, it works.

WOW! SOUNDS LIKE FUN! CAN I DO IT?

Probably not, because you need a very specific set of job circumstances to perform a Sealed Temple Fiesta run. Source: I did it.

OH NO! WHAT AM I GONNA NEED?

In order to complete the Sealed Temple, there are two specific jobs you must have and one condition the other two must fulfill.

#1: You must have Thief.

I steal only what I can't afford! (That's everything.)

There's an area in the Sealed Temple that requires you to use Dash in order to get past. Obviously, this means you must have Thief. Congratulations! You can steal!

#2: You must have Beastmaster.

There's a certain annoying jackass in the Sealed Temple who is insistent that you Catch a Behemoth in order to progress! Beastmaster is the class that does that!

<--- A Behemoth.

#3: You must have either a source of non-elemental magic damage or White Mage.

"My, that's rather specific!" you might be thinking. "Why do you need that?" Here's why you need it:

"OH YEAHHHHH"

This OBNOXIOUS FUCKER is named Archeodemon, and he will destroy you. Why? I'm glad you asked, Timmy! Archeodemon absorbs all elements, and is undead and counters all physical attacks with Death which fully heals him, and he has 62,000 MP. Ergo, if you have neither Reflect (to bounce the Death counters) or magic damage (to... damage him,) you actually cannot kill him! He has 62,000 MP! (kyro note: you can still ether trick him - and yes, he'll cast Death in reaction, lol) And Mega Flare! You won't live that long, I'm sorry. Also you have to beat him to fight any of the Temple's three superbosses.

The classes which fit this category are Black Mage, Summoner, Time Mage, Chemist, Bard, and Blue Mage if you're interested in playing level shenanigans with a level 17 enemy.

SO IF I HAVE ALL THAT, CAN I BRING A BERSERKER IN TOO?! I LOVE BERSERKERS!!!

Go ahead, Timmy. Go right ahead.

Also watch out for dragons.

I AM SINISTAR. BEWARE I LIVE

Fiesta season is here! :toot:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 23, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lovely Senorita posted:

after a few years of this, I'm thoroughly convinced that Berserkers are a much better job to receive than Red Mage at any and all points

It's been posited a few times that if RK knew better it would be Geomancer Risk, not Berserker Risk.

May he never ever figure this out. :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rixaxun posted:

All of you complaining about Geomancers have obviously never been drowning in red mages.

At least Red Mages can snap rods, heal (and use the Cure Staff), and apply buffs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Normal: Draws a job from that crystal when you get there (so Wind only from Wind, etc)
Random: Draws a job that you could potentially have when you get to a crystal (so Wind only from Wind, Wind/Water from Water, etc)
Chaos: Draws any job, duplicates possible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rixaxun posted:

Geomancers at least let you ignore the most annoying kind of dungeon bullshit

You know what else does?

Hi-Potions.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

StrangeAeon posted:

Actually, now that I think of it, is there a concise rundown of the pros/cons of the different platforms to play FFV on? I think by now there's, what, 5? (SNES, GBA, PS1, Mobile, Steam)

SNES: Has access to the magic underflow and Ancient Library Teleport glitch
PS1: SNES but with awful load times and the world's worst translation ever, avoid
GBA: Auto-dash available, better translation, Quicksave glitch (US version only)
Mobile/Steam: GBA but with different art (people say it's worse, I don't agree), some tricks/glitches fixed (Calm fixed to only affect magical beasts as opposed to everything but Magical Beasts, Omniscient can cast Reset with 0 MP, etc)

The GBA version is usually considered the definitive version, but you can fiesta on anything, really.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Ohh, what's the Ancient Library Teleport glitch?

If you have access to Time magic, you can teleport out of the Ancient Library after the cutscenes in there and skip Exdeath voiding a bunch of the world; this lets you get to Mirage before the Pyramid, do Solitary Island Shrine, etc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RME posted:

also apparently i got the !Calm bug mixed up, i'll go back and fix that

Yeah, that's why you can Calm-lock Omega - he's susceptible to Stop, but normally it wouldn't work since he's not a Magical Beast. The bug is that the bit is just flipped around.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Airspace posted:

Not really 4JF related, but did RevenantKioku ever do that FFT run people donated for last(?) year?

Two years ago, and yeah, he did it in bits and pieces on his Twitch stream.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It's almost definitely quad berserker for Everhate. :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/733817915246411776

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/733818536003391489

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

zolthorg posted:

well thats lame and boring but so is regrand and regchaos without the option to remove duplicates

Random can't have duplicates. Duplicates are part of the fun of Chaos.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

karn1635 posted:

So if this is my first playthrough of FFV and I want it to be metal as gently caress and stream the thing I should register for Chaos and BerserkerRisk?

Absolutely.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

2014 had Monk, Beastmaster, Dancer, and something else.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I'd love to see a team where DD has the best opportunity to do something dumb. Beastmaster would be good, for example.

Two hours of hashtag grinding! :byodood:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Except dd. I remember the dragondarch command.

Like you need anything else. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RME posted:

For chaos runs, if you get a job from a later crystal do you just run freelancer or other jobs it gave you you do have, or is unlocking them all from the start considered fine

My bot doesn't do it because I'm bad, but the way Gilgabot does it is it randomly generates, and then sorts/presents them to you in ascending crystal order, so it tries as hard as it can to minimize your freelancer time - that is, if the bot rolled Chemist/Samurai/Dancer/Berserker, you'd get them presented to you Berserker/Chemist/Dancer/Samurai.

Though yeah, if you want to use one of the patches that unlocks all jobs from the start (or use a gameshark code, whatever), that's kosher. That's how I did every run I did last year. It has its ups and downs (4 Bards on Garula is even worse than 4 Thieves on Garula, if you can believe it!).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Poque posted:

happy 10 year forum anniversary Kyro.

Huh, would've never noticed if you didn't say something. Thanks. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Kind of.

One of the weirder things about Freelancer is that it isn't actually the worst or most boring job in the game, even with two blank passive slots. The ability to equip anything is a pretty substantial boon that enables them to take advantage of every unique/interesting piece of gear in the game.

To wit, Sullla's Freelancer SSCC is really interesting reading.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Water job: しょうかんし! (Summoner)

Never much cared for this class in casual play, so never used them much. This should be interesting.

The ability to point at a random encounter and go "nah, y'all dead" with Ramuh/Titan/Syldra is a good feeling.

(Bahamut and Leviathan are traps and only worth using if you are a monk using !Summon/have a Chemist respectively)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

At the same time, I'd rather have a Zerk than: Dancer [...] Beastmaster

Now this is uncalled for.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arrrthritis posted:

I would appreciate an effort post about !catch very much. Especially if it's about as in-depth as the !mix one.

It's not quite as in-depth, but I did a Beastmaster Suggested Catches spreadsheet, with recommendations per-boss.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That spreadsheet is now available via Carbybot in IRC with the command .catch (or the alias .pokemon, thanks Asterism :v:).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Most of Melly's forms have 90 defense, so there'd have to be some serious running to get the Chicken Knife past it. Besides, having no suggestions is just chintzy.

People get to W3 Moore without a 127 power Chicken Knife? :confused:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

StrangeAeon posted:

What about no black mage AND no healing?

I'm running with Monk/Thief/Knight/Summoner currently.

Steal Hi-Potions from the Steam-Powered Ship, point Ramuh/Titan/Syldra in the general direction of enemies, win

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/735101495528411138

I am intrigued.

Also StrangeAeon, if your hospital gets on board that will be the awesomest thing ever. :3:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Since Natural sucks maybe Upgrade will be good by being incompatible?

quote:

[09:49:03] <~Kyrosiris> well natural is bad
[09:49:10] <~Kyrosiris> so if upgrade is mutually exclusive with natural
[09:49:14] <~Kyrosiris> upgrade must be good

:v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Berserker risk means you can get multiple zerks regardless of the type of run. I think Chaos might be the only way to get four Berserkers, though.

Incorrect, Normal runs can only get one Berserker, even when Risking.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

LemonAIDS posted:

How would you do omniscience with 4 berserkers

Either four Mage Mashers and a lot of prayer... or just don't bother.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FeatherFloat posted:

On to the Forest of Moore! [...] each random battle

People actually fight the terrible poo poo encounters in Moore? :confused:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

The worst part of the pyramid is that you sometimes can't run. Zephyrus! :argh:

By then, you have the Chicken Knife, so just poke them until it procs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Can Random not give duplicates anymore? Because back in the day it was capable of spitting out some pretty loving awful nightmare scenarios like two Monks and two Geomancers.

Only Chaos allows for duplicates now.

E: Well, you can get duplicate berserkers if you Random Risk, but that's it.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 30, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Counter point:
Mystic Quest

Counter counter point: Mystic Quest's soundtrack

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

karn1635 posted:

This is the best. Someone please put this in the OP.

Yeah, next time I'm at a PC, I'll get it done.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

zolthorg posted:

I feel ever trolled by rk that he keeps adding terrible commands but you still cant register for a random or chaos run with no dupes

You keep saying that but Random has no duplicates and hasn't since it got renamed from Hard Mode and Chaos having dupes is the whole point of the command.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:siren: Carbybot now has support for .chaosno750 and .chaos750 :siren:

(I might work on .random750 and .randomno750 if there is interest)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Deki posted:

Honestly I don't see it being too bad so long as you get a decent subskill somewhere along the way (and not on someone who'se berserker in the end)

e: Also I wish there was an alternative to twitter for doing this because my account has basically only been used for this in the last few years and turns out it's compromised to hell. Whoooops~

Everyone has to be the same job, though. If you get Berserker for Earth, gently caress you it's Berserker SCC Time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Jobs will be assigned to you

To clarify, they will be jobs from Final Fantasy V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

You say that as if a 750 run with Risk won't poo poo infinite berserkers into your body anyway.

Infinite Berserkers on Infinite Sandworms

• Locked thread