Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJcObz1k_E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I just won the game. Game over. Town won. I'm MVP.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

You're scum or incredibly obtuse. I had an opinion on your vote when town was pushing lurker lynch but you neatly omit that.

I've got way more content than you in my joke posts than you do in all your rebuttals and lists. You're fake man, and the reason why is....

You're scum. Not even the scum mvp.

Woah I'm hurt.

And sure, I'll letcha have your vote on me. But hey, don't deny my content, BRO, just 'cause it's so bright and you forgot to wear shades.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
"Scum or incredibly obtuse" is probably my favorite Mafia insult

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
JakeP can you offer an opinion beyond your hatred for my lumpenlists?

In exchange:

JakeP posted:

Only way I will be ocnvinced otherwise is if he actually goes out and explains why each person is scummier than the next, or he admits the lumpen list is a random mishmash of names and aplogizes for being so shameful

I don't have references, but one of my professors says that human beings are really bad at making comparisons involving more than three things at the same time (our preference is a simple paired (2) comparison). She told us this in the context of having to rate our fellow classmate's presentations from best presenter to worst presenter. So what she had us do was make a master list of paired comparisons, comparing EVERY SINGLE presentation to every other presentation, in which only one presenter between the two would get 1 point, and the other would get 0. Done properly, it naturally produces a ranked list, from the most to least points, in a way that is likely more accurate. I did not perform this when constructing my Lumpenlist, despite thinking about it at the time. Instead, I went through each player in the game in alphabetical order. First was AR, and I read all his posts. Next was AA, who I also read all his posts and decided was less scummy than AR. Then Azuth. So on. With each player, I read every post, then placed them. I did not compare them to literally every single player in my list, but instead did an approximation technique in which I determined how I felt about by reading their posts, then inserted them in an approximate position, THEN did comparisons only to the closest neighbors to see if I should shift up or down. That was for my first lumpenlist, the adjustment post was taking the old one and shifting based on new information, so less rigorous. Naturally any process, including this one, but also the better "only paired comparisons" process I mentioned previously, has error. That is the nature of measurement. Based on the process I described to you, you can decide if it fits your criterion for A Good Post, or if you determine it to be "A random mishmash". If you decide the latter, then fine, I apologize.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

to many words

That's probably the most words I'll ever give you, please read them.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
4 me :swoon:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo deadline in 8 hours.

JakeP posted:

did you have to make your post in MLA format jeez louise

Lol

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

make a march madness style scum bracket

drat that sounds fun, okay

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You need reasons for each victory attached, or is the bracket enough?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

8 hours and we're wasting discussion on lists?

##vote jon joe because I just don't want him around anymore.

I mean drat dude.

Excuse me I'm talking to JakeP over here.

Rude.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Match Overviews
Absurd Revolver vs vector_to
A big contention right off the bat! We have a hedgemaster vs a lurker! It's amazing that vector_to even showed up the match!
Let's see the highlight shot of the match, made by Absurd Revolver:

Absurd Revolver posted:

This seems like an attempt to throw shade on what is simply a policy lynch.
Woah! A powerful hypocritical hedge, a three pointer! No substance, just weak spite against our incredibly amazing and beautiful referee, jon joe!
Meanwhile, vector_to was knocked out despite lurking due to overuse of this tactic. It look like he's lurking in every game, folks! Easy victory to AR!

PMom vs Azuth0667
Two lurkers, folks. The main difference here is Azuth is pulling the strong move of "no opinions so far"! And "confusion post!" Woah!
PMom is absolutely slaughtered by these moves, having only a weak showing of low-reasoning votes!
Azuth0667 takes it!

JakeP vs GulagDolls
How did GulagDolls even get to the playoffs? Dude's so town it hurts. This is due to his signature playstyle of fun jokes combined with scumhunting through calling people out on their bullshit.
JakeP is pretty town to, what with strong opinions and contributions, but he's a lot less likable. His only saving grace is his total misrepresentation and hatred of lumpenlists.
Wait, a surprise move?!

JakeP posted:

then ill vote rarity or the winner of your scum bracket if i agree with it
He's not going to vote jon joe anymore despite not giving a reason! Could he really be just blowing smoke? The audience loves smoke!
JakeP wins by not being GulagDolls!

imgay vs MG3
imgay is content-less, but pretty consistent with his town meta, while MG3 is just content-less.
imgay is gay!
Wow, MG3 not even lurking, but I've seen lurkers with more content than him!
It's a toughie, folks, but the audience likes the cut of MG3's low content and high post count! It's a new lurking strategy! A win for MG3!

Shadow0 vs Rarity
Is Shadow0 just a copy-cat of MG3? It's the exact same strategy, except he has a vote!
That vote makes it all, folks! It's one thing to have many posts and no content, it's another to bandwagon, too, then go back to no content!
Rarity has just been lying down on the floor the entire game. Is she okay? Medics? MEDICS?!
Shadow0 wins through strong play AND an opponent who can't play anymore.

Mayor Glowku vs Anomalous Amalgam
The last match of the round, gentle audience. We have the popular lurker strategy from Mayor Glowku, plus a no-content vote, vs Anonymous Amalgam.
Woah a series of strong scum plays from Anonymous Amalgam!
Wait, instant replay!
It looks like AA has a lot of townie content in addition to his scummy posts! Will this hurt his chances?
No!
It's a good thing we keep posts saved, though, so our incredible judge can look at them with a more objective eye. AA may make it through this round on the back of some suspicious timings and hedges, but his town-like legitimacy might be his downfall in a future round!
AA wins, but loses many fans!

Round 2 incoming!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

based on your explanation how does Rarity come out more town than shadow?

Rarity has a reason to be lurking, while Shadow0 had his suspicious bandwagon vote, with a bunch of no-content.

Shadow0 posted:

Rarity isn't being very much fun this game. :(
Why sign up for RuneScape Mafia if you've never even played RuneScape?
You should(n't) go play some RuneScape.
##vote Rarity

JakeP posted:

god theres so many scummy players in this game some of the scummiest players didn't even make it to round 2

I'm probably just bad at seeding.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

also it sux how the lower brackets are 1 game closer to the final 2

yeah, thems just the numbers, maybe I should add a loser's bracket so they can come fight the lower bracket winner for a spot?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

jon joe best mafia post 2016

Your computer is back!

Hi Rarity!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Hi jon joe!

I've been following along on my phone but it's hard to really get decent reads to stay connected to the game through that. Is there anyone in particular I should be looking at?

Myself, AR, and AA are probably your best bets.

If you have time, looking at both Jake and Pmom may be worth it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
JakePMom

has anyone made this ship yet?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

deadline is in mere hours hurry up with that bracket!!!

It'll probably be a little bit, I'm eating.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Match Overviews
Absurd Revolver vs Azuth0667
AA's been showing his strong scum game this season, and he's against another lurker!
What make Azuth0667 a contender is that, unlike vector_to, he doesn't have consistency in his lurking! This isn't his normal play!
And it can easily be argued that AA's not scummy, just really dumb and new!
But wait! The judge has ruled that AA's posts are scummy because he's dumb and new, he doesn't know any better! So he lets out his scumminess every post!
His strong meltdown is fake as hell, and he throws around his vote on whatever he thinks will get attention off himself! A jj omgus! A vector_to lurker bandwagon! Back to jj because he sees the momentum shift a bit!
It's too much! Absurd Reolver takes it home! Azuth0667 never stood a real chance.

MG3 vs Shadow0
This is probably the least content we've ever had to work with in a match, viewers. They're both just sitting there, telling jokes.
The jokes aren't even funny.
In the end, just like his match, it's Shadow0's bandwagon vote that gets him the victory. Can this one-trick pony make it any further?

JakeP vs Anomalous Amalgam
Two people who some think can win it all, but will our judge agree?
The judge keeps giving "Legitimacy" penalties to both sides! There's just too open and honest, despite otherwise decent scum-play!
Anomalous Amalgam's main strength are his ties to Absurd Revolver!
It carries him through this game, but it's only because JakeP didn't have his own uniquely scummy saving grace. His unexplained secret unvote on jon joe won't carry him twice. AA wins!
Afterwards, a reporter goes up to JakeP and asks "Why will you not vote Jon Joe anymore?" Hmm, the reporter must be working for an enemy team, trying to make him look less scummy. What will he say?

Up next, round 2.5, it's reigning champion AR vs Shadow0! Will he beat yet another lurker, or will there be an amazing upset?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Typos are the post killer.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

No overview. There was no upset. AR absolutely crushed the lurking Shadow0, for reasons that should be obvious from previous games.

It was 122 to 7.

Shiiiit.

Up next, the more exciting(?) Final Round!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver wins!

Why? How? When? What? Who? Why?

The main difference one can see between Absurd Revolver and Anomalous Amalgam is that there is tension in every one of Absurd Revolver's posts, even when he's trying to be funny. AA is natural, funny, smooth, so even though some of his shots are on-point for a scum game, his strongest power - his relation to AR - is nullified in a game against AR.

AR just lets his scumminess and worry leak out of every post. He tries to smile, and it fails, and that's why he is the 2016 Ultimate Scum Champion!

Congratulations.

You win a trophy.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

Got a little lazy at the end there trying to push your case, but still good posting.

lol

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

imgay posted:

Still not as good as lumens diagrams

link?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I like these, personally, but they were from a game I ran so I'm biased:

The Carpet Shark posted:

I think I got everything so far

Most of the people have been tracked. People who were tracked can't be scum lying about their results unless the person who tracked them is also scum.

Here's what I think the most likely possibilities are:

A) One of the three untracked people also visited KingB and killed them. That would be Roy, Goo or Ac. Roy seems incredibly unlikely so I'm ruling that out.

B) Ghastly Gangsta killed KingB in addition to tracking him.

GulagDolls posted:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

lol I forgot about this game!

Gulag should make every chart, ever.

Gulag, would you grace us with a holy chart for this game?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
imgay what do you think about, anything?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

Anyway, I voted for Rarity because she was unfun.
I'd've done it with or without the bandwagon.
And for not understanding our RuneScape references.

Statistically jon joe is probably town.
I have to sleep soon. :(
I don't have a feel for anyone yet, I guess I'll come hammer or something if it happens in an hour, but I'm just gonna sit on my Rarity vote for now.
I just hope none of the fun players are scum. :(

This post is on such a high level of bad it makes me think you're town.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

at this point id rather lynch a lurkier player than a player who is posting

can we just have the mod replace lurkers tomorrow and lynch scumguy AR instead?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Kashuno I invoke your dark name to replace lurkers tomorrow.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

three replacements? in this mafia economy?

Maybe scum will kill one for us, as a present.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So do you not agree with my bracket, JakeP?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Vector is apparently alive in 4 mafia games right now? does he post in them?

Not the last few days, I think it's highly likely he's doing RL stuff.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

gently caress it jon joe, scum wouldn't put that effort in.

##unvote

Right now it's either Vector or Pmom, pending a reread of the latter.

Does anyone else not see this, how's he's just jumping on/off whatever's the current flavor?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

i see it but im sick of lurker

Fair, but I don't think Pmom is the best lurker. Given Shadow0 has decided recently to post, MG3 would be my prefered lurker lynch.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

I think it's that people see you as being just as scummy.

I'm sorry could you translate that?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
##vote MG3

JakeP posted:

why not pmom?

Because I think there's a higher chance that PMom becomes active D2 than MG3. He's already showing signs of it, with reasonless votes. Now he just needs reasons/arguments.

HEY PMOM, UR A BUTT.

That should do it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

or even azuth for that matter?

I'd go for Azuth too, prob.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?