Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
anyone else going to the bay area maker faire this weekend?

I'm going so I can see what new kinds of poop the "makers" have stuck an arduino or raspberry pi in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
isnt it supposed to rain this weekend

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no as in im not going to the bay area maker faire. im not a meteorologist so idk about the rain prognosis.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
theres a storm comin

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would be unable to attend this for several reasons

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
can you get one of those big turkey legs? But with LEDs in it?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think a friend is goin but I dunno

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
my dad is working a booth there doing stuff with halloween decorations I think.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

those loving makers. i bet half of them don't even etch their own PCBs. fuckers think they can "make" stuff - gently caress them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GameCube posted:

those loving makers. i bet half of them don't even etch their own PCBs. fuckers think they can "make" stuff - gently caress them

Theyre FuckTards, for sure.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
nerds suck. debate me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

GameCube posted:

who the gently caress still etches a pcb lol. oshpark exists

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh you used an arduino, huh? you want a loving cookie? huh? you want a loving cookie for programming an arduino??? you stupid piece of poo poo. gently caress you.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

these god drat "maker" fucks think they can program. i went to college, bitch. only i can program. fucker

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Zaxxon posted:

can you get one of those big turkey legs? But with LEDs in it?

that sounds like the sort of thing that would exist at maker faire

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
arduinos are cheaper than 555's for most purposes if you need any sort of configurability or reprogrammability

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey guys. look at me. i'm a maker. *programs an arduino* *farts*

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Smythe posted:

Theyre FuckTards, for sure.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i bet half of these "makers" don't even have a Top 50 BS CS

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i'm going to maker faire, and i'm going to visit the steampunk comics man who has a stall there, and hell - i'm gonna enjoy it, too.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yup, my friend is there with his 3d printer he can walk around with while it prints, and his google glass.

no hate though hes just a goofball

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i went to the pittsburgh mini maker faire, and saw some children showing off their "robot." but get this - it wasn't even autonomous. they drove it with a remote control. those loving idiots.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
laser cnc machines own dwi

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

arduinos are cheaper than 555's for most purposes if you need any sort of configurability or reprogrammability

AVRs are free for the asking if you ask for 'samples' and then you can use winavr stack instead of arduino

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

AVRs are free for the asking if you ask for 'samples' and then you can use winavr stack instead of arduino

This guy loving gets it. Word. *fistbumps*

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i really hate the mythbusters guy for fueling the "maker" community, which is just yet another expression of nerdy toxic consumer culture

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the loving mythbusters guy. gently caress that guy for making people think they're doing "science" when their studies haven't even been peer-reviewed. that fucker

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I bet his peers are assholes though. mine are.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stymie posted:

i really hate the mythbusters guy for fueling the "maker" community, which is just yet another expression of nerdy toxic consumer culture

shut up

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I mean at least you're not one of those guys who gets real mad when he says STEAM instead of STEM but

shut up

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
engaging stymie is always a losing proposition

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i mix him and smythe up a lot tbh and i dont wanna mess w/ smythe

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

i mix him and smythe up a lot

the gently caress

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SO DEMANDING posted:

the gently caress

Dyslexia

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here's a handy way to prove you're actually a maker and not just a nerd hobbyist:

1) make something useful (the useful part is essential)

2) make more

3) continue to make them

4) train others to make them

5) continue to make them alongside those you've trained

6) learn to make something that someone else has devised

7) continue to make them

then, and only then, can you be considered a maker

most "makers" fail at the first step and none make it past the third

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I just. make babies