Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

lol what the hell. I'm like 99% sure mouse look was in the original

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Smythe posted:

imagine that stupid bitch steve jobs crawling on his belly QQing and rectally bleeding into intel HQ to buy their epic processors after running that aids infected snail ad about how intel sucked. lol. haha.

Steve Jobs died in 2011.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
He didn't take advantage of the best medical care available to any mortal and drank smoothies instead lmao

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

He got a new liver a couple years before he died though?

I wonder which Apple intern they took it from, RIP

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elder Postsman posted:

lol what the hell. I'm like 99% sure mouse look was in the original

it technically had it but it was really bad and barely usable. and I guess it's still like that if they're rejecting overhauls, haven't really paid attention to aleph in forever

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

emoji posted:

Steve Jobs died in 2011.

siri birth / stebe death dates align so i think they put him in a computer somewhere outside reno

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

error1 posted:

He got a new liver a couple years before he died though?

I wonder which Apple intern they took it from, RIP

he took it from someone in Tennessee. he bought a house there specifically to get on the transplant list (TN was shortest) and then bribed his way to the top

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Triglav posted:

siri birth / stebe death dates align so i think they put him in a computer somewhere outside reno

Considering how snarky Siri is most of the time, I think this theory checks out

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

haveblue posted:

it technically had it but it was really bad and barely usable. and I guess it's still like that if they're rejecting overhauls, haven't really paid attention to aleph in forever

yeah I know you could only look up and down a little ways. but I remember using it for turning and all.

anyway I made it work by manually setting prefs. ugh.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm a Mac. I'm a PC. :fuckoff: I'd like to run that loser over 99 times in Richard's GTR.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Is classic Mac OS really a bigger piece of poo poo than the OP, tho?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

emoji posted:

Steve Jobs died in 2011.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

emoji posted:

Steve Jobs died in 2011.

gently caress you, got mine/11 never forget

burning swine
May 26, 2004

anyone remember the last gasping breath of powerPC, the G5, and those ads claiming it was the "fastest cpu in the world"

then it turned out the source of that claim was a benchmark apple conducted themselves against a mid-level neutered pentium 4 with hyperthreading disabled

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i just remember they were never able to cram a g5 into a laptop

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i just remember they were never able to cram a g5 into a laptop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

a classic photoshop

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

anyone remember the last gasping breath of powerPC, the G5, and those ads claiming it was the "fastest cpu in the world"

then it turned out the source of that claim was a benchmark apple conducted themselves against a mid-level neutered pentium 4 with hyperthreading disabled

yeah and the awful ways they tried to make true on their 3ghz claim

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYuCNv1-80Y

jeff lied, g5s died

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lo l

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thanks Ants posted:

yeah and the awful ways they tried to make true on their 3ghz claim

lol wtf is that antifreeze?!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
more or less. stock liquid cooling

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yeah the only way they could compete with the g5 towards the end was to put insane amounts of power through it since the predicted performance improvements just didnt happen (no idea why, maybe someone knows). iirc one of the g5s ended up with a 16a iec inlet in the back because the standard 10a wasnt enough. to keep them cool they had a closed loop liquid cooling system, and it leaked and corroded the aluminium on the way out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IBM had originally every confidence they could eventually engineer G5s to reach 3 GHz and eliminate power issues and all but promised Jobs this. Jobs of course immediately parroted out that G5's would become this fast, confident that IBM would come through. Problem was, he did it at WWDC 2003 and all but promised 3 GHz G5s would be there by next WWDC. IBM, Motorola, and Apple had previously been in a partnership that produced the G3 and the G4. But Jobs had just returned to Apple and decided to shitcan the Apple clone program started by Michael Spindler, leaving Motorola high and dry as they had planned to corner the market on CPUs for Apple clones; this was one of the reasons Motorola decided to leave the chip manufacturing business in 2004. Incidentally, Motorola's StarMax clones were considered to be the best quality of all the Apple clones and sold well / were coveted even over Apple's own machines, until Jobs pulled the plug.

IBM later was having difficulty working with the elements derived from the POWER4, a RISC CPU meant to run server based platforms (which the G5 was largely a trimmed desktop version of) which was never intended for anything but server-based purposes; the POWER architecture simply drew too much voltage. The best that IBM could manage was a stock of G5s that were rated for 2.7 GHz, and even then only with additional cooling.

For reasons quite unknown, instead of using any known PC vendors, Apple contracted Delphi, a former division of General Motors, to create a cooling system for the G5. Delphi designed the system for fabricators in China (Hon Hai) to assemble, and had never, loving ever developed systems for anything but the automotive market. Rumors say they hadn't worked out leaking issues, but Apple decided to push them out anyway. Apple released the Early 2005 G5s with liquid cooling for the 2.7 GHz models to much fanfare, but many noted it wasn't the 3 GHz Jobs promised.

The liquid cooled G5s were pretty much a disaster. They ran noisily as the fans were not engineered to deal with the heat the souped up G5's put out, even -with- the liquid cooling. The system fans were originally spec'd for the non-overclocked IBM G5 chips and TBQH they expected the LCS to reduce the heat below the levels the previous chips worked at, which wasn't the case. It was pretty self evident they hadn't even bothered to tweak the fan speed algorithms; run Photoshop (which is what most people bought G5s for at the time) and open any multi-layer document and you may as well have been standing next to a commercial jet engine at full throttle.

IBM themselves never got the core chip the G5's were based on to work reliably past 2 GHz without the power draw going into the stratosphere. The liquid cooling systems often leaked before end of warranty, due to their crappy design and construction, some were replaced later by Apple with Xeon based 1st Gen Mac Pros. An informal survey conducted by the Macintouch website eventually cited that the 2.7 GHz models had a whopping 26% failure rate.

Finally, according to rumors, around late 2005 IBM sheepishly went back to Jobs and said it would be tough to get the G5 to 3 GHz, but if he could see his way to invest a little money in the process.. at this Jobs was said to have literally pounded the conference desk in abject anger, screaming that he was promised 3 GHz G5's as a matter of course much to the terror of the IBM shills. Furthermore, he'd been made a liar / laughingstock by them, because of the 3 GHz WWDC promise which people reminded him of at every conceivable opportunity.

Supposedly, after this meeting, Jobs ordered the jump to Intel, which had always been in development in Apple's skunkworks as insurance against IBM for just such a situation, the rest is history. The last G5 was shipped Late 2005, (the first and only quad-core G5 was one of the models, last hurrah from IBM for the G5 desktop market) and by 2006 the Mac Pros with Intel Xeons ruled the land. The G5 debacle supposedly also cheesed him off desktop development, forcing him to think about other pastures to tend to.. like maybe phones?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 24, 2016

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

RIP good tower macs

Bring back the cheese grater mac pro, i want to stick a gtx 1080 in a mac :(
Or at least sell an offical apple ATX motherboard so nerds can build genuine hackintoshes, that would be pretty cool

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Binary Badger posted:

IBM had originally every confidence they could eventually engineer G5s to reach 3 GHz and eliminate power issues and all but promised Jobs this. Jobs of course immediately parroted out that G5's would become this fast, confident that IBM would come through. Problem was, he did it at WWDC 2003 and all but promised 3 GHz G5s would be there by next WWDC.

IBM later was having difficulty working with the elements derived from the POWER4, which was never intended for anything but server-based purposes; the architecture simply drew too much voltage. The best that IBM could manage was a stock of G5s that were rated for 2.7 GHz, and even then only with additional cooling.

For reasons quite unknown, instead of using any known PC vendors, Apple contracted Delphi, a former division of General Motors, to create a cooling system for the G5. Delphi designed the system for fabricators in China (Hon Hai) to assemble, and had never, loving ever developed systems for anything but the automotive market. Rumors say they hadn't worked out leaking issues, but Apple decided to push them out anyway. Apple released the Early 2005 G5s with liquid cooling for the 2.7 GHz models to much fanfare, but many noted it wasn't the 3 GHz Jobs promised.

The liquid cooled G5s were pretty much a disaster. They ran noisily as the fans were not engineered to deal with the heat the souped up G5's put out, even -with- the liquid cooling. The system fans were originally spec'd for the non-overclocked IBM G5 chips and TBQH they expected the LCS to reduce the heat below the levels the previous chips worked at, which wasn't the case.

IBM themselves never got the core chip the G5's were based on to work reliably past 2 GHz without the power draw going into the stratosphere. The liquid cooling systems often leaked before end of warranty, due to their crappy design and construction, some were replaced later by Apple with Xeon based 1st Gen Mac Pros. An informal survey conducted by Macworld magazine eventually cited that the 2.7 GHz models had a whopping 26% failure rate.

Finally, according to rumors, around late 2005 IBM sheepishly went back to Jobs and said it would be tough to get the G5 to 3 GHz, but if he could see his way to invest a little money in the process.. at this Jobs was said to have literally pounded the conference desk in abject anger, screaming that he was promised 3 GHz G5's as a matter of course much to the terror of the IBM shills. Furthermore, he'd been made a liar by them because of the 3 GHz WWDC promise which people reminded him of at every conceivable opportunity. Supposedly, after this meeting, Jobs ordered the jump to Intel, which had always been in development in Apple's skunkworks, the rest is history. The G5 debacle supposedly also cheesed him off desktop development, forcing him to think about other pastures to tend to.. like maybe phones?

the rest you can say, is history

emoji posted:

Steve Jobs died in 2011.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

First iPhone came out in January 2007 (shipped in June though)

Also, the very last G5, the Late 2005 G5 dual 2.5 GHz (quad-core) had a loving 1 KW power supply. That was how ridiculous the power curve was for the G5 architecture.

error1 posted:

Bring back the cheese grater mac pro, i want to stick a gtx 1080 in a mac :(
People are already doing this with MacPro 4,1's and 5,1's with GTX 980's and Ti's, thanks to nVidia's nearly-under-the-table web drivers that are still being maintained up to the latest El Capitan.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 24, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Also, the very last G5, the Late 2005 G5 dual 2.5 GHz (quad-core) had a loving 1 KW power supply. That was how ridiculous the power curve was for the G5

lol

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

For reasons quite unknown, instead of using any known PC vendors, Apple contracted Delphi, a former division of General Motors, to create a cooling system for the G5. Delphi designed the system for fabricators in China (Hon Hai) to assemble, and had never, loving ever developed systems for anything but the automotive market.

unless there's another big company in china with the same name, 'hon hai' is foxconn and they have plenty of experience in hardware stuff including having bad build quality in some other products

but thanks for the interesting post and lol @ IBM

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
also which dual 2.5ghz were you talking about? according to this the dual/quad powermac only had 500~600W PSU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lack of pre-emptive multitasking in an OS being sold into the late 90's was pretty loving ridiculous

it's amazing they ever worked

lol, more like steve job

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DaNzA posted:

also which dual 2.5ghz were you talking about? according to this the dual/quad powermac only had 500~600W PSU

http://www.allpartsmac.com/PowerMac-G5-1KW-Late-05-Power-Supply-Used-661-3738U.htm?gclid=CMLG1f2K8swCFVFZhgodDmoBEw

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
:holymoley: those fans

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Binary Badger posted:

IBM had originally every confidence they could eventually engineer G5s to reach 3 GHz and eliminate power issues and all but promised Jobs this. Jobs of course immediately parroted out that G5's would become this fast, confident that IBM would come through. Problem was, he did it at WWDC 2003 and all but promised 3 GHz G5s would be there by next WWDC. IBM, Motorola, and Apple had previously been in a partnership that produced the G3 and the G4. But Jobs had just returned to Apple and decided to shitcan the Apple clone program started by Michael Spindler, leaving Motorola high and dry as they had planned to corner the market on CPUs for Apple clones; this was one of the reasons Motorola decided to leave the chip manufacturing business in 2004. Incidentally, Motorola's StarMax clones were considered to be the best quality of all the Apple clones and sold well / were coveted even over Apple's own machines, until Jobs pulled the plug.

IBM later was having difficulty working with the elements derived from the POWER4, a RISC CPU meant to run server based platforms (which the G5 was largely a trimmed desktop version of) which was never intended for anything but server-based purposes; the POWER architecture simply drew too much voltage. The best that IBM could manage was a stock of G5s that were rated for 2.7 GHz, and even then only with additional cooling.

The liquid cooled G5s were pretty much a disaster. They ran noisily as the fans were not engineered to deal with the heat the souped up G5's put out, even -with- the liquid cooling. The system fans were originally spec'd for the non-overclocked IBM G5 chips and TBQH they expected the LCS to reduce the heat below the levels the previous chips worked at, which wasn't the case. It was pretty self evident they hadn't even bothered to tweak the fan speed algorithms; run Photoshop (which is what most people bought G5s for at the time) and open any multi-layer document and you may as well have been standing next to a commercial jet engine at full throttle.

IBM themselves never got the core chip the G5's were based on to work reliably past 2 GHz without the power draw going into the stratosphere. The liquid cooling systems often leaked before end of warranty, due to their crappy design and construction, some were replaced later by Apple with Xeon based 1st Gen Mac Pros. An informal survey conducted by the Macintouch website eventually cited that the 2.7 GHz models had a whopping 26% failure rate.

Finally, according to rumors, around late 2005 IBM sheepishly went back to Jobs and said it would be tough to get the G5 to 3 GHz, but if he could see his way to invest a little money in the process.. at this Jobs was said to have literally pounded the conference desk in abject anger, screaming that he was promised 3 GHz G5's as a matter of course much to the terror of the IBM shills. Furthermore, he'd been made a liar / laughingstock by them, because of the 3 GHz WWDC promise which people reminded him of at every conceivable opportunity.

Supposedly, after this meeting, Jobs ordered the jump to Intel, which had always been in development in Apple's skunkworks as insurance against IBM for just such a situation, the rest is history. The last G5 was shipped Late 2005, (the first and only quad-core G5 was one of the models, last hurrah from IBM for the G5 desktop market) and by 2006 the Mac Pros with Intel Xeons ruled the land. The G5 debacle supposedly also cheesed him off desktop development, forcing him to think about other pastures to tend to.. like maybe phones?

jobs made a bit of money off though

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Definitive version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BcEa-bxLBY

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Rofl. Steve jobs was a liar and a thief. Lomarf at the fucktards who posthumously support him lol. Idiots

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
If you support this stupid company that has demonstrably subsisted on conning true believers then just LOL at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I am enjoying my $300 chromebook smythe its suiting my needs

• Locked thread