Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Tower of Latria 3-1

After that debacle, I imagine we have a better idea of how to share footage from now on. Either way, it's time to jump into Tower of Latria and pick up some wrinkly fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We fight the tower's first boss and encounter a couple surprise black phantoms.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Fool's Idol fight is really memorable to me because of the music.

It's quiet and unnerving at the same time and I can't really recall any song like it in the Dark Souls Trilogy

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, hey, it's Wayne! Hi, Wayne!

I legitimately did not know invaders could attack enemies in Demon's Souls. Of course, I only ever got invaded like... once.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ThornBrain posted:

We fight the tower's first boss and encounter a couple surprise black phantoms.
That poor invader had no idea what they were getting into, did they?

Quite polite, though.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Nah, he totally knew what he was getting into. He's a goon.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The fake Fool's Idols should vanish if you hit them once. I usually clear them out with spells before going after the real one with melee, just so I can get in as many hits as possible without worrying about being shot from another angle.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Small update for you folks still waiting on this thread and who haven't seen it yet: Travis has told me that, due to a myriad of things in his life, he won't be able to do LPs for the foreseeable future. He's often been too busy to record for a while now, but he recently came to the conclusion that he'll have to make his exit official. As such I got the go-ahead from him to upload the last of our previous session, minus his missing footage. Because I don't like to abandon LPs, I will also find another person to co-op the rest of game with me.
Thanks to everyone who was patient with this thread. Once I find another partner, hopefully we can have consistent updates again. Part 11 will go up on Friday.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Aw, I'm sorry to hear we lost half of the Dynamic Duo. :saddowns:

I am glad you're not abandoning the LP though. This is a fun one to watch.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Tower of Latria 3-2

As I mentioned, this is Travis' last part with us. He still had one more chunk of footage to send, but since he dropped out and I was still waiting on it, I went ahead and stuck with my own footage.

I'll be looking for a new co-op partner. Both Skippy Granola and YamiNoSenshi from my Harvest Moon multithread have expressed interest.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't suppose Jacob has Demon's Souls? I feel like he'd be fun to do a co-op LP with.

This whole section of the Tower of Latria is bullshit, by the way.

Edit: There is also Highwang... of course that goofball would be wearing the Xanthous Crown or whatever it is.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 3, 2017

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ThornBrain posted:

Both Skippy Granola and YamiNoSenshi from my Harvest Moon multithread have expressed interest.
DEATHMATCH

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
So when I played through Latria 2 for the first time, I had almost gotten to the heart; I'd gone through the blood swamp and climbed back up, and then I fell down. But I missed the ground. I slipped through the level geometry and was just falling infinitely. My brother-in-law was smart enough to think of quitting and reloading when I was about to warp out of that situation. Reloaded back to the top and was able to continue on, fortunately.

Anyway if you haven't gotten anyone else locked in, I'd be down to play the game with you, if the connection holds okay and you wouldn't mind only being able to record on weekends due to time zones probably.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I pulled YamiNoSenshi in to it, so I'm good there for now. That said, he and I are going to be playing through 2-2 right now, so if anyone wants to try to invade us, now's a good chance.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Valley of Defilement 5-1

Pulling YamiNoSenshi over from farming to go sewer diving.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Valley of Defilement put me off to actually progressing in Demon's Souls for a few days. I eventually just put that whole area on the backburner until I'd done most everything else. It really is the worst part of the game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Shrine of Storms 4-2

An area that's big on souls, low on fun.

Dummied-out Archstone of Giants area

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Aw man, that was a poo poo ton of souls you lost there. That was brutal.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Short cleanup part this week, so next week will have two parts with one of them going up early.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Very, very glad to see this moving again.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Stonefang Tunnel 2-2

A decently tough area with one of the hardest bosses... who decides not to be hard for us.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Stonefang Tunnel 2-3

Perhaps the game's signature boss, and a real dopey one at that.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

ThornBrain posted:

Stonefang Tunnel 2-2

A decently tough area with one of the hardest bosses... who decides not to be hard for us.

Deciding not to be hard for you sounds way dirtier then it actually is.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
What is the benefit of dual-wielding in Demon's Souls? I seem to remember seeing at one point most of the top PvP people in that game apparently dual-wielded bonesmashers?

I find it hard to believe it's that useful considering what little good it did in Dark Souls.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think the only game in which it's actually worth dual wielding is Dark Souls 2, provided you can powerstance the weapons. Otherwise the extra attack doesn't nearly make up for the increased stamina consumption. There are some edge cases where theoretically it would be useful to pair a big, heavy weapon with a lighter, faster weapon in the off-hand, or something of that nature. There are a couple weapons (such as the Uchigatana) that have altered attack patterns in the off hand, so those can also be used as a secondary with something else. There can also be benefits to having a weapon with a status buff of some kind equipped in your off hand, like the Enchanted Falchion for instance will regenerate your magic bar regardless of which hand you're holding it in.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I sometimes use the Large Sword of Searching in my off-hand - the parry animation for curved swords looks particularly silly when the sword is as big as you are.

It's also easy enough to two-hand the right-hand weapon and let the left-hand weapon's passive buff do its job.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Tower of Latria 3-2 (Boss)

Before we continue on to a new level, it's about time we wrapped up the one boss we don't want to fight.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I enjoyed the editing on this boss fight :)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

hanales posted:

I enjoyed the editing on this boss fight :)
Seconding this. It was a very well edited update. Quality LP.

"This time it wasn't my fault"
*rolls off the edge the next time*

Seriously, though, that fight looks frustrating as hell.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Times Thorn has died almost immediately and left me to fight a buffed boss myself, and then I somehow muddle through: 2.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Boletaria Castle 1-2

One of those levels that's harder than the boss at the end of it. Usually.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, that dragon will gently caress your poo poo up no matter how overleveled you are.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Valley of Defilement 5-2

Maybe it's not that hard of a level, but it will certainly make you groan your larynx out.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is a literal slog.

On the subject of Patches, I find it highly amusing that despite being such a huge dick at the outset, he's one of the best merchants in both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, if you let him live. He's more of a twat in Bloodborne (and also a spider) and not a particularly useful merchant in DS3, but it's still worth befriending him for story purposes. I genuinely like the guy despite his murderous proclivities.

I think this might have come up when you saw Patches in Shrine of Storms, but there's been a lot of DeS/DkS LPs and they're all kind of blurring together in my mind a little bit now.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Valley of Defilement 5-2 & 5-3

Last two bosses of the Valley of Defilement, the latter of which tries to defeat Yami by the power of glitch-lag.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wow, that's a depressing boss fight.

Which you two turned into black humor :allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Shrine of Storms 4-3 + Tower of Latria 3-3

Powering through the last two archdemons before we make our way through the rest of Boletaria next time.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Yami and I are about to brave the final two parts of Boletaria Palace in a few minutes. Want to gently caress with us? We're around soul level 70.

We've stopped recording, but we'll be doing Boletaria 1-4 tomorrow, so get ready to hurt our feelings.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 24, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm really tempted, but I couldn't get it to work in the last two Demon's Souls LPs I followed, so I can't imagine it'll work for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

ThornBrain posted:

Yami and I are about to brave the final two parts of Boletaria Palace in a few minutes. Want to gently caress with us? We're around soul level 70.

We've stopped recording, but we'll be doing Boletaria 1-4 tomorrow, so get ready to hurt our feelings.

Dragon Bone Smasher +3

:getin:

• Locked thread