Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finals are tomorrow morning starting at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST. This has been a terrific BOSJ but the card for the finals is a little underwhelming compared to last year's that had cool cross block singles matches.

BOSJ Finals
Tuesday June 7th
5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Sendai Sunplaza Hall

Jay White vs. David Finlay
Yoshitatsu and Captain New Japan vs Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens)
Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi vs. Katsuyori Shibata and Juice Robinson
Tenzan and reDRagon vs. CHAOS (Ishii and RPG Vice)
KUSHIDA, Ricochet, and Sydal vs. Liger, TMIV, and Volador Jr.
Michael Elgin and Satoshi Kojima vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and Bad Luck Fale)
CHAOS (Okada, Goto, YOSHI, and Gedo) vs. L.I.J (Naito, SANADA, EVIL, and BUSHI)
BOSJ XXIII Finals:Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Will Ospreay

Seven shows will be broadcast in their entirety live on NJPW World and the league matches from the other days will be uploaded to the service later in the day by around evening in the Eastern US.

The live dates are:

Night 1 : May 21st at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Night 6: May 27th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Night 7: May 29th at 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST
Night 11: June 3rd st 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Night 12: June 5th at 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST
Night 13: June 6th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
FInals: June 7th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST

While the BOSJ doesn't have quite the prestige or record of top level matches as the heavyweight division's G1, there's some fantastic talent in this year's tournament. As a bonus, one area where the BOSJ has an edge on the G1 this year is suspense. Due to the briefcase stip it's difficult to see anyone besides Okada or MAYBE Shibata winning this time. There's several plausible BOSJ winners in this year's field though and certainly no single obvious heavy favorite like Devitt in 2013. Some of these names seem more likely than others to me but I wouldn't be absolutely shocked to see BUSHI, O'Reilly, Volador, Ospreay, or even Sydal take it this year.

We also shouldn't completely count out Ryusuke Taguchi after he revealed he trained hard for this tournament to get himself in the nicest possible shape:

Taguchi courtesy of @reasonjp posted:

I'm, uh, yes. Definitely at peak physical form: I'm now 69 kilos having dropped 6.9. I've also shrunk a few centimetres to get to 169cm tall. So I'm just about perfect.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Ricochet or Volador make the most sense I think. Probably won't have O'Reilly win when he and Kushida were the finals last year, although I think he's got a decent chance of coming out of A Block. He just defended against BUSHI and Ospreay relatively recently, although I guess they've hardly shied away from booking rematches in the junior division.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ricochet or Volador make the most sense I think. Probably won't have O'Reilly win when he and Kushida were the finals last year, although I think he's got a decent chance of coming out of A Block. He just defended against BUSHI and Ospreay relatively recently, although I guess they've hardly shied away from booking rematches in the junior division.

Volador makes the most sense to me assuming they can get him back for Dominion to drop the title match to KUSHIDA, but most people feel that he'll fae no better than the usual yearly CMLL entrant(s).

The problem with BUSHI, Ricochet, or Ospreay is that all three would basically have to win the title match after coming up short the last time and I think it's too early for KUSHIDA to drop it. I'm also skeptical they'd give it to Ricochet two times in three years without him being a signed talent.

Sydal's supposedly either newly signed or on the verge of signing and could work. KUSHIDA's been hyping Kyle O'Reilly lately and if he beats KUSHIDA on Night 1 I could see him taking the whole thing and he'd still come out ahead even after losing at Dominion.

If they actually plan on having the winner beat KUSHIDA I'd go with BUSHI as it would;l fit in well with Naito's championship push.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 21, 2016

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Is there anywhere that I can watch this live Online? With WWE all their pay per views are on Sunday, and with me being at GMT +12, its Monday here when they are live. At least with New Japans timezones it'll be Sunday and I can watch live.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Night 1 will be streamed live today on NJPW World (NJPW's ¥999 a month streaming service if you weren't aware) It airs. from Korakuen hall at 18:30 JST (5:30 EDT/10:30 BST) I don't know time zones outside of NA or Europe so you'll have to figure out yourself.

The other shows will NOT be aired live but the league matches from those nights will be uploaded roughly 12 hours later.

Here are the live dates:

Night 1 : May 21st at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Night 6: May 27th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Night 7: May 29th at 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST
Night 11: June 3rd st 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Night 12: June 5th at 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST
Night 13: June 6th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
FInals: June 7th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Go Bobby Fish

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

We're live!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Thauros posted:

Volador makes the most sense to me assuming they can get him back for Dominion to drop the title match to KUSHIDA, but most people feel that he'll fae no better than the usual yearly CMLL entrant(s).

The problem with BUSHI, Ricochet, or Ospreay is that all three would basically have to win the title match after coming up short the last time and I think it's too early for KUSHIDA to drop it. I'm also skeptical they'd give it to Ricochet two times in three years without him being a signed talent.

Sydal's supposedly either newly signed or on the verge of signing and could work. KUSHIDA's been hyping Kyle O'Reilly lately and if he beats KUSHIDA on Night 1 I could see him taking the whole thing and he'd still come out ahead even after losing at Dominion.

If they actually plan on having the winner beat KUSHIDA I'd go with BUSHI as it would;l fit in well with Naito's championship push.

The reason I think Ricochet is an option is because he and Kushida are 1-1 in singles and another Jr. Heavyweight title match would serve as the rubber match between the two of them. It made more sense for them to have him put Kushida over again back when it looked like Ricochet was leaving for WWE though, now that the rumors are trending towards him staying with Lucha Underground maybe that's not the case anymore. Having Kyle win the tournament when he and Kushida have faced each other so much lately and will do so again during the block matches seems like a bad idea, that's why I think he makes the finals again but loses. I don't think Kushida should be dropping yet and I wouldn't want LIJ shenanigans happening with both singles belts so I wouldn't want Bushi to win either. Sydal is another decent option though, I'm sure he and Kushida would tear it up in singles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hmmm.... anybody else noticed that Ricochet is really loving great? I think I might be the first to discover his talent.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Don''t forget that Bushi has been doing a lot of those quasi shoot interviews where he's been talking about how there are too many overseas talents in the junior division. He's got this one in the bag.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This ladder/chair stuff is so overplayed in the US but I love how the crowd here is all :ohdear: :gonk: over seeing it happen to Tanahashi.

Edit: Okada so proud of his dad, Gedo :)

Edit Edit: KUSHIDA's counter to O'Reilly's outside apron spot was loving insane :stare:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 21, 2016

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Really fun show, loved the main event and Rocky vs. Finlay

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 21, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really enjoyed all four tournament matches, last one was definitely the best though.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That was good fun throughout but my favorite matches were the last multiman before the break and the main event (obviously). Understandably felt like most of the BOSJ competitors were pacing themselves.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
It's pretty remarkable how much Finlay has improved since last year's BOSJ.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

All the tournament matches on Night 1 were great. Finlay showed unpredecented aggression, Rocky is a great singles face when working from underneath, Gedo ramped it up like he does for his Korakuen spotlight matches and BUSHI tried to outdick him every step of the way, Taguchi mysteriously decided to wrestle again and KUSHIDA/O'Reilly was completely different from the matches they did last year.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tournament matches were good. That dive into an armbar was ridiculous.

Okada was so happy for Gedo :3:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/734400392922963968

I love that not only are they doing more English language shows they're using the team that's actually good enough at doing it that I'll choose to actually watch them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00392_2

Day 2's matches are up.

Looks like we can expect them to be uploaded at at about 11 PM EDT, which corresponds to noon JST the next day.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tomorrow's show's Block A. The league matches that should be uploaded at around 11 PM EDT are:

BUSHI [0] VS. Matt Sydal [0]
Kyle O'Reilly [2] vs. Gedo [2]
Ryusuke Taguchi [2] vs. David Finlay [0]
KUSHIDA [0] vs. Rocky Romero [2]

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I know a lot of people (incorrectly) don't like Corino's commentary in ROH, but he's worlds better than Striker for English broadcasts of New Japan so I hope this is a permanent change. He knows the background of all the guys and actually conveys it without just trying to put himself over, gets properly excited for the big moments in the matches, and he knows enough Japanese to roughly translate promos when necessary.

e: Ospreay lost to Owens and Volador to Trent? Surprising.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
it's a tournament, people always lose to random guys

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah it was prob easier to hide those math-necessitated losses when they were just box score results and every match wasnt widely available on video

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

I guess they're getting all the unexpected losses out of the way early. Fish/Liger was fun though.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

day 3 is up http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00392_3

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tomorrow's Block B matches will be uploaded at around 11 PM EDT:

Tiger Mask [0] vs. Volador. Jr [0]
Jushin Liger [2] vs. Chase Owens [2]
Bobby Fish [0] vs. Ricochet [2]
Beretta [2] vs. Will Ospreay [0]

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Romero vs Kushida - Wow, what a match! Rocky working the crowd like a true pro. Holding his own against Kushida in a well paced, awesome match that went back and forth for almost the whole last half of the match. Unreal quick exchange finish with the counters and reversals leading up to an awesome step up flying knee. Hope he's eating McGriddles at Japanese McDonald's super early in the morning every night!

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Uhhhh, holy poo poo! Bobby Fish vs Ricochet. Now that's what I call Best of the Super Juniors. Those two have unreal timing together. Just amazing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Day 5's matches (presumably underway rn) that will be uploaded tonight at around 11 PM EDT are:

Matt Sydal [2] vs. Gedo [2]
Kyle O'Reilly [4] vs. BUSHI [0]
KUSHIDA[ 0] vs. David Finlay [4]
Ryusuke Taguchi [4] vs. Rocky Romero [4]

Demtor posted:

Romero vs Kushida - Wow, what a match! Rocky working the crowd like a true pro. Holding his own against Kushida in a well paced, awesome match that went back and forth for almost the whole last half of the match. Unreal quick exchange finish with the counters and reversals leading up to an awesome step up flying knee. Hope he's eating McGriddles at Japanese McDonald's super early in the morning every night!

Rocky's really good and I wish he'd do more singles matches instead of being stuck in the tiny and stale jr tag division.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

This Will Ospreay guy is pretty good.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I'm not fully caught up with the matches from yesterday, but I'm confident in saying that my main man, Kyle O'Reilly is winning this whole drat thing. Not sure if they'd headline a show with an all gaijin match but I'd love to see him throw down with Will Ospreay in the finals.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Today's the first off day of the tour. BOSJ resumes on Friday May 27th from Korakuen Hall with a Block B show headlined by Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay in what I assume is a first time matchup anywhere. It'll be at the venue's normal start time of 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST

BOSJ Night 6
May 27th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Michael Elgin and Matt Sydal vs. CHAOS (Rocky Romero and YOSHI-HASHI)
Nagata, Nakanishi, Tenzan, O'Reilly, and Finlay vs. KUSHIDA, Shibata, Taguchi, Robinson, and White
BOSJ Block B Match:Tiger Mask [0] vs. Chase Owens [2]
BOSJ Block B Match:Bobby Fish[0] vs. Baretta [4]
Kojima, Yoshitatsu, and Captain vs. Bullet Club (Omega, Fale,and Yujiro)
CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, Goto, and Gedo) vs. L.I.J (Naito, SANADA, EVIL, and BUSHI)
BOSJ Block B Match:Jushin Thunder Liger [4] vs. Volador Jr. [2]
BOSJ Block B Match:Ricochet [4] vs. Will Ospreay [0]

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
how are there already like 15 matches I need to catch on. I was so proud of myself for actually catching the first day on-time :argh:

what are the must see matches from days 2 through 5?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

abraham linksys posted:

how are there already like 15 matches I need to catch on. I was so proud of myself for actually catching the first day on-time :argh:

what are the must see matches from days 2 through 5?

Ospreay/Baretta was nice and Fish/Ricochet was way, way too good for a single camera show.

KUSHIDA/Romero was really good too.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 26, 2016

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

I'm hoping Osprey finally gets a big win over Ricochet. It's a shame he has no wins yet.

Same with Bobby Fish. That Loss to Liger was complete bull poo poo.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Ricochet versus Osprey should be great. I'm so happy I have a long weekend coming up so I can catch up on everything so far.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure anyone still with 0 wins going into their 3rd matches and losing will be out already like Finlay and Bushi.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I still believe in Finlay

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

BOSJ Night 6
May 27th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Michael Elgin and Matt Sydal vs. CHAOS (Rocky Romero and YOSHI-HASHI)
Nagata, Nakanishi, Tenzan, O'Reilly, and Finlay vs. KUSHIDA, Shibata, Taguchi, Robinson, and White
BOSJ Block B Match:Tiger Mask [0] vs. Chase Owens [2]
BOSJ Block B Match:Bobby Fish[0] vs. Baretta [4]
Kojima, Yoshitatsu, and Captain vs. Bullet Club (Omega, Fale,and Yujiro)
CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, Goto, and Gedo) vs. L.I.J (Naito, SANADA, EVIL, and BUSHI)
BOSJ Block B Match:Jushin Thunder Liger [4] vs. Volador Jr. [2]
BOSJ Block B Match:Ricochet [4] vs. Will Ospreay [0]
[/quote]

Show's starting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yay, Bobby's on the board.

This main event has ALL THE FLIPS

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 27, 2016