Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Danaru posted:

You'd get a penalty every time you presented evidence, even if it was the right evidence

And you lose the game if your client gets acquitted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
just watched the ds9 episode "shakaar"

it was a pretty good episode until the end. at the end they're like "shakaar is running for president and has the backing of military so he's gonna win" and the kai subsequently drops out all together

that's twice so far this show has been like "democracy is best when the military decides who gets to rule" (first is li nalas). just seems like its completely missing the whole point. just throw in a line a dialogue that says "shakaar's entry has encouraged numerous other candidates to enter the race and the kai's popularity is waning." they already have an extra exposition scene at the end (a rare thing considering how quickly most episodes wrap up) that says "she dropped out and is supporting shakaar" just to reemphasize that "democracy is best when its a simple military backed consensus." was fun to see rawls from the wire (john doman) in the episode though

the kai reeks of bad writing to me (despite the moment to moment interactions and dialogue being really good). like, they obviously wrote her into a corner when she's in the capital with the head of the coup government as it falls. but then the writers just decided "it'd be more fun to make her kai too!" so they just did it without any setup. i guess what i'm saying is that she suffers from "michael scott syndrome:" we need to see her doing something so competently that it makes her popularity and base of power believable, like seeing how good michael scott was at sales (explaining why he was promoted). there must be a reason she was selected kai despite being obviously involved in the coup/directly tied to terrorism, and also a reason why she was gonna be president unopposed (this was explained as "completed cardassian peace treaty" so at least they tried). otherwise she just stands out as a cartoonish villain

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah but it means we get to see more of Wynn in the future and she is a great evil bastard.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

DS9 season 1 has O'Brien be a complete rear end to Bashir because season 1 Bashir is a complete rear end. Q comes to the station and acts like a complete rear end because Vash dumped him, so he picks a fight with Sisko and loses. Odo is a complete rear end and Kira is a complete rear end and together they compete to be the biggest complete rear end while telling the cardies and the federation types to gently caress off and let them run the station.

I've just started watching DS9 with my partner and every time we start a new episode I pray that this is the one that sees Bashir get teleported into space

So far my prayers have gone unanswered

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Facebook Aunt posted:

Starfleet has a long history of shrugging and ignoring any atrocities that happen while you're mind controlled, possesed, in an alternate dimension, or otherwise out of sorts.

If Starfleet beached everyone who got their mind fiddled with by aliens, they'd be unable to crew the fleet within a year.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ToxicFrog posted:

I've just started watching DS9 with my partner and every time we start a new episode I pray that this is the one that sees Bashir get teleported into space

So far my prayers have gone unanswered

How can you beam him into space when he is, as they say, fit. As. A. Fiddle?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RaySmuckles posted:

"it'd be more fun to make her kai too!"

they were right. i don't even really remember what shakaar looked like. i think he was beige?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
ya he was beigeoran

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

ya he was beigeoran

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The beigest males and the hottest females, truly Bajor is a planet of contrasts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You will experience beige

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You will experience beige

It was about time for a new thread title

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And this one i didn't even steal from a podcast!

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
speaking of, what is the original context for Potatoes O'Dyin? Like, i get the pun, and it's strangely appropriate, but I'd love to see the series of comments that lead to that phrase.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He's Irish, he dies or suffers a lot.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

speaking of, what is the original context for Potatoes O'Dyin? Like, i get the pun, and it's strangely appropriate, but I'd love to see the series of comments that lead to that phrase.

IIRC someone posted a funny DS9 character rundown that used Potatoes O'Dyin, and it cracked me the gently caress up so I asked for a thread title change. That was like a year or two ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://trekmovie.com/2020/05/29/bryan-fuller-describes-star-trek-voyager-serialized-year-of-hell-season-rejected-by-rick-berman/

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Regardless v good. My wife and I all him potatoes o ruin thabks to the thread. Lead to a great joke on the couch when we matched that DS9 episode where He comes back from brain jail and has PTSD.

I said of course he isn’t going to go get help. He’s potatoes o dyin not potatoes o therapy.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

*sigh* what Voyager could have been...it could've been some of the best sci-fi of the 20th century, and instead we got "Threshold" and macroviruses and Borg Queen abuse, first degree.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Maybe Rick Berman could have sucked rear end in a less serialized fashion

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

threshold could've been a four-episode arc

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The amphibian babies had super-mindpowers as that is how evolution works in Trek and so all those TOS and TNG random God-Beings were neglected kids loving with the anscestors of their deadbeat parents

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

There was a Star Trek Cook book with a " Potatos O'Brien" and it wasnt much of a step from that to the title.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, the first thing we see is sisko seethe at picard and then picard wusses out and refuses to acknowledge the subject.

I wonder how many times Picard had to deal with that same situation. Granted there weren't many immediate survivors of Wolf 359, but 11,000 dead leaves a lot of widows and orphans.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I’m sure it was appropriately classified/covered up

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Johnny Aztec posted:

There was a Star Trek Cook book with a " Potatos O'Brien" and it wasnt much of a step from that to the title.

Potatoes O'Brien is actually a real dish, you can even buy a frozen version.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Olewithmilk posted:

Hard to believe I clipped this for a FYAD request DocEvil made 12 years ago, and that people still use it, and that 130000 people have watched it.

The software I used to clip it was awful free/shareware and I had to listen to it at least a hundred times to get the audio synced up properly. Do I still watch it everytime someone posts it? Of course I do.

A legendary video. Thank you.

On another note, i wonder if AI techniques could upsample ds9 into something approximating HD?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Yes, some guy on reddit AI-upsampled to 4k all good things and yesterday's enterprise and it was surprisingly very good.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i watching the tng episode where troi loses her powers

and guinan's trolling is top-tier, someone please buy her an account

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Guinan is such a quality shitposter that people end up thanking her for getting dunked on. It's absolutely incredible

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Also the one time owning people couldn't fix the situation, she whipped out a gun and started shooting. Guinan owns

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

and she stabbed Q

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

GolfHole posted:

i watching the tng episode where troi loses her powers

and guinan's trolling is top-tier, someone please buy her an account

One can sense when space time is being hosed with, is several hundred years old, travels about the galaxy, and almost fights on level of a Q.
The other can sense if you are sad.

They are in each other's job.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hahahaha, in the pre credits scene for The Hunted, the prisoner manages to evade the Enterprise by flying around an asteroid and then data takes the ship around the rock and he zooms off. Picard is naturally shocked at how talented this escape artist must be.

Lol, and O'Brien got yet another shoulder injury.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 30, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
o'brien is more shoulder injury than man

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hahahaha, in the pre credits scene for The Hunted, the prisoner manages to evade the Enterprise by flying around an asteroid and then data takes the ship around the rock and he zooms off. Picard is naturally shocked at how talented this escape artist must be.

Lol, and O'Brien got yet another shoulder injury.

iirc that’s one of the few episodes with a decent Troi plot. She gets most of the scenes interacting with the super soldier guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I'm surprised that Troi actually did something this episode, even if she just wandered into the plot.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Hm. Ok.

https://i.imgur.com/VW7ARTG.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/wzCQWCn.gifv

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man season 1 of tng has a lot of lowlights but Conspiracy owns so goddamn hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man season 1 of tng has a lot of lowlights but Conspiracy owns so goddamn hard.