Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1583 »
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Yams Fan

Applewhite posted:

Would really be a great opportunity to take the piss out of stupid grimdark tropes and make a statement about how important it is to have inspirational TV.

Or you could just watch The Orville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

IN THE GRIM BARKNESS
OF THE FUTURE
THERE ARE ONLY DOGS

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

They need to just put Seth Mcfarlane in charge of regular Star Trek.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Crosspost from Picard thread:

Had an idea that could turn out really great or really bad.

Galaxy Quest: Taggart

It's twenty years later and all SCI FI is dark and lovely. Nesmith is doing a dark and gritty Galaxy Quest spinoff but comes to discover how his show's tone has negatively affected the naive Thermians.

Would really be a great opportunity to take the piss out of stupid grimdark tropes and make a statement about how important it is to have inspirational TV.

i had fun thinking about it for a min or two, thank you

- he crews a ship of tech sergeant chen's like 800 children
- visits space monument to security chief roc ingersol who died on his very first mission
- alexander dane decides dr lazarus is gay

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Get Taika Waititi to direct and I'm sold. Make a sister show about young Dr. Lazarus and his half-sister who get along just great.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

- gwen demarco gets side jobs as a sign language interpreter and a court reporter
- mathesar becomes a dictator

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

The plan here is to reinvent Rin Tin Tin as a modern action star, the John Wick of dogs.

Iron Crowned posted:

The Orville doesn't really deconstruct modern serial drama, it just does old episodic drama competently

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

They need to just put Seth Mcfarlane in charge of regular Star Trek.

honestly I think his show is better off without all the baggage, and having modern Star Trek shows be as tone deaf and lovely as they are helps further radicalize people against the status quo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Yams Fan

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Orville doesn't really deconstruct modern serial drama, it just does old episodic drama competently

Yeah, but it's definitely inspiring TV.

Tighclops posted:

honestly I think his show is better off without all the baggage, and having modern Star Trek shows be as tone deaf and lovely as they are helps further radicalize people against the status quo

I was actually about to post something like this. Sure it looks and feels a lot like Star Trek, but it's an entirely new world, and it works very well.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

maybe lower decks will be about everything going well and life being great all the time

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

My prediction about Lower Decks is that it will more closely resemble other things that are popular than Star Trek as per the last two CBS projects

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

IN THE GRIM BARKNESS
OF THE FUTURE
THERE ARE ONLY DOGS

Nap Ghost

I was so stoked for lower decks but I know itís gonna suck hardcore poo poo

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I was so stoked for lower decks but I know itís gonna suck hardcore poo poo

it was always going to be bad but at least now you wont be disappointed

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tighclops posted:

My prediction about Lower Decks is that it will more closely resemble other things that are popular than Star Trek as per the last two CBS projects
Something like Bojack Horseman I reckon (of which I know nothing but it seems the kind of thing Trek would go for in this context).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

IN THE GRIM BARKNESS
OF THE FUTURE
THERE ARE ONLY DOGS

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Something like Bojack Horseman I reckon (of which I know nothing but it seems the kind of thing Trek would go for in this context).

Not on its best day will Lower Decks approach the worst episode of Bojack Horseman.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

My prediction is that Lower Decks will be bland and unremarkable and get cancelled after two seasons, but be held up by a contingent of goons going "it's the closest thing we've gotten to real Trek since 2003!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

The plan here is to reinvent Rin Tin Tin as a modern action star, the John Wick of dogs.

We've been tasked with interrogating the captured Pakled, it is rumored they know the location of the Breen fleet.

Pakled! What do they know? Do they know things? Let's find out!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

my prediction is that I will keep forgetting lower decks exists until someone here mentions it, triggering that memory in my mind for a brief second before it clears. this process will repeat for decades, and each time I will think about that TNG episode about the lower decks and how good it was.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ask me about my dream Frasier episode where Frasier and Bulldog oil their heads and then rub them together. It's definitely not a fetish of mine, I swear!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

My prediction is that Lower Decks will be bland and unremarkable and get cancelled after two seasons, but be held up by a contingent of goons going "it's the closest thing we've gotten to real Trek since 2003!"

I'm excited for the first real Trek since Nemesis absolutely

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

どこでもヒトラー
got ya now, kyanka-chan!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Only after we've lost everything,
are we free to do anything

Grimey Drawer

this always made me so sad because the internal affairs guy episode was so good

so good

when he turns around and is like "i would be honored to someday work with you guys as a member of your crew" i was so impressed. what a nice, nuanced episode and message. an excellent antagonist who was not in any way a villain

and then it turns out that he's the alien bug master. gently caress that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the instrument of man's contempt for his fellow man, forever

GolfHole posted:

maybe lower decks will be about everything going well and life being great all the time

I know you're being glib but this is a really dumb way to frame TNG era Star Trek. Telling stories against the backdrop of a utopian society doesn't mean everything is great all the time, as evidenced by watching literally any episode of TNG. That also doesn't make them equivalent to the dour bullshit that Picard pulls, for literally no reason beyond the lack of skill of the writers.

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

Lower Decks will be about the hardass space marines who make up 99% of the crew of the USS Destroyer and be about the hard men making hard choices.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

H O R N E Y

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lower Decks will be about the hardass space marines who make up 99% of the crew of the USS Destroyer and be about the hard men making hard choices.

I love watching hard men in the lower decks.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

gently caress it, we're aping from Enterprise scripts and doing 9/11 2: 9/11 Harder

THEY want to destroy your planet freedom isn't free OORAH SUPPORT ARE REDSHIRTS UFP UFP UFP

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

I like how in A Matter of Perspective they don't even try to defend the whole incident between Riker and the scientist's wife as being a fabrication. Dude is such a horndog that Picard barely even blinked at the surprise sex accusation.

"Look, advocate, he might be a lecherous pig who seduced the scientist's wife, but he's not a murderer, drat it!"

Arcsquad12 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 3, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

The bone down everyone figured happened, but everyone balked at the surprise sex accusation itself. Riker is incapable of nonconsensual horny

Communist Walrus
Aug 31, 2001

I don't mind taking charity,
From those that I despise.

Coincidentally I just got to the Voyager surprise sex allegory episode that ends with Seven of Nine feeling remorse that her false accusation ruined the life of an innocent arms dealer. Yeesh.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Only after we've lost everything,
are we free to do anything

Grimey Drawer

i really liked what riker became by the end of tng. and that show had some really serious sex positive framing in many episodes. it was actually really cool to have adult discussions of sex and sexuality.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the instrument of man's contempt for his fellow man, forever

Yeah, you could say ol' Gene "Rod n' Berries" was sex positive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ask me about the hate crime perpetrated against a gay black man, and how it was a real hate crime and totally not fabricated. I am well acquainted with the facts of this actual hate crime which actually took place in actuality.

lower decks will be a re-airing of big bang theory, except they dub over the swooshy door opening sounds whenever anyone enters or leaves a room.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

We've been tasked with interrogating the captured Pakled, it is rumored they know the location of the Breen fleet.

Pakled! What do they know? Do they know things? Let's find out!

a bolian (tapping his nose): they know things that make us go

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

どこでもヒトラー
got ya now, kyanka-chan!

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, you could say ol' Gene "Rod n' Berries" was sex positive.
he was also dead by then.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

i really liked what riker became by the end of tng. and that show had some really serious sex positive framing in many episodes. it was actually really cool to have adult discussions of sex and sexuality.
it was funny when Geordi got owned for making a holo-fuckpuppet of that physicist

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Cat Army

Fallen Rib

Juul-Whip posted:

it was funny when Geordi got owned for making a holo-fuckpuppet of that physicist

Got owned by becoming friends with her and marrying her in at least one timeline.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

dudeness posted:

Got owned by becoming friends with her and marrying her in at least one timeline.

oh yeah... gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ask me about the hate crime perpetrated against a gay black man, and how it was a real hate crime and totally not fabricated. I am well acquainted with the facts of this actual hate crime which actually took place in actuality.

everyone knows he married holo-brahms.

«1583 »