Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

kdrudy posted:

Yea, you could just mandate transporter usage before every away mission to back people up. Oil monster kill your security chief? Just print a new one.

You then get into ethical concerns like what weird things Geordi is going to do after the first time Leah Brahms transported on and off the ship. I guess you could also justify people hating transporters then.

It was called out in the technical manual that they very much didn't want to deal with those kinds of things so they wrote it in a way that it couldn't be done.

Then they did it anyway for Thomas Riker, sorta kinda.

And the DS9 thing was weird because the computer stored like, their minds and sent the rest of the pattern to the holosuite. So even then the computer could only hold a small part of each of them. (we just won't talk about how the holosuite doesn't materialize things normally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really liked the Enterprise episode where the creator of the transporter accidentally banished his son to a hell of half-existence lol

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How much merch is Trek even selling these days? Like I know there's some, but it's definitely nowhere near the 90s heydey.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I really liked the Enterprise episode where the creator of the transporter accidentally banished his son to a hell of half-existence lol

Big shout out to whoever decided on the title of that episode. Masterful trolling on their part.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Watching voyager episode where neelix is killed before the credits ran. Hoping it's permanent but I know it's not
Edit: 0.7777 just showed up to ruin the day

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How much merch is Trek even selling these days? Like I know there's some, but it's definitely nowhere near the 90s heydey.
They have to actually put out some to sell it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I keep getting ads for the mobile games they have on Android and I think the MMO is still going. There's probably other games for other platforms I don't know about. Would be interesting to know how much they get in licenses / kickbacks from all those games.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's plenty of knockoff Discovery poo poo on aliexpress these days

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So was Tuvix double density? What happened to the extra bits of Neelix and Tuvok that didn't make it into Tuvix? Should there not also have been a Neelok?:iiam:

Was it :techno: away?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CainFortea posted:

It was called out in the technical manual that they very much didn't want to deal with those kinds of things so they wrote it in a way that it couldn't be done.

Then they did it anyway for Thomas Riker, sorta kinda.

And the DS9 thing was weird because the computer stored like, their minds and sent the rest of the pattern to the holosuite. So even then the computer could only hold a small part of each of them. (we just won't talk about how the holosuite doesn't materialize things normally)
I'm fine with Thomas Riker because generally any "our weird stuff hits weird space stuff and it got weird in an unreproducable manner" gets a pass from me.

For the DS9 one if I recall the episode right they weren't materialised, the patterns for their bodies were stored in the holosuite active memory and it overwrote parts of a running program. The problem wasn't that their "real" bodies were running around at risk of being "killed", the problem was they couldn't risk the holosuite entering a state where it cleared down the cache. Meanwhile four or five people's mind scans took up an entire space station's memory so storing them every time you transport wouldn't be practical.

You want real dumb transporter stuff implications look at the tng episode where they casually revert polaski to an earlier template, memories and all.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 12, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Really they should all be functionally immortal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Honestly at this point "transport you but you come out taller, in better shape, and aged back to 25" seems like it could be something people are offering somewhere.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp

Splicer posted:

Honestly at this point "transport you but you come out taller, in better shape, and aged back to 25" seems like it could be something people are offering somewhere.

The twist is that the "improved-you transport beam" textually and verifiably kills the original, rather than it being a mere semantic or philosophical possibility. The crew is suitably horrified, &c.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vim Fuego posted:

The twist is that the "improved-you transport beam" textually and verifiably kills the original, rather than it being a mere semantic or philosophical possibility. The crew is suitably horrified, &c.
Villain: How is it different?
Command staff guy: <long thing about ethics etc>
Villain: No I mean from an engineering standpoint, where are the actual mechanical differences between this machine and your transporter?
Engineering staff guy: <nervously sidles out of the room>

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Rascals is an incredibly dark story when you think about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vim Fuego posted:

Can they just beam my butt then

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Can they just beam my butt then

Yea but you might end up with your rear end on backwards

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

This is what I would have liked Altered Carbon/Broken Angels/Woken Furies to have explored. The people in that world just aren't bothered by the stacks just being copies, like at all. Though Soma (the game) did a bang up job tbh.

Like were the people controlled by the mind copy in the stack and the brain still contains the original mind, they have no control, but are totally aware. That would have been a nice twist, but I guess the author didn't want to go there.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Splicer posted:

uh chief, id like more length. no, its girth is fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral posted:

This is what I would have liked Altered Carbon/Broken Angels/Woken Furies to have explored. The people in that world just aren't bothered by the stacks just being copies, like at all. Though Soma (the game) did a bang up job tbh.

Like were the people controlled by the mind copy in the stack and the brain still contains the original mind, they have no control, but are totally aware. That would have been a nice twist, but I guess the author didn't want to go there.

Well yeah, it's completely antithetical to the whole concept of Stacks for one thing. Altered Carbon's deal is subjective immortality, and Kovacs does actually touch on it in the books a few times. He tries very deliberately not to think about it because he knows it's not gonna go anywhere good for him after two-hundred-odd subjective years across who-knows-how-many Sleeves.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Splicer posted:

It's on the same black market as the use of the Turnabout Intruder body-swap machine.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just watched the DS9 finale. That was quite the ride.

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellblazer187 posted:

Just watched the DS9 finale. That was quite the ride.

Did you know that Sisko comes back in the books to divorce Cassidy Yates

also all the changelings all die of sadness

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rectal Death Deft posted:

Also, Kira becomes Grand Nagus.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

also Morn dies

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Jake goes on to write Pakled erotica.

Worf sulks.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rectal Death Deft posted:

lmao.

Are the relaunch novels worth reading? Are any of the novel series worth reading?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 13, 2021

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

O'Brian goes on a mission to hunt every copy of himself and end their suffering. When he finally succeeds he smiles in relief for the first time as he puts a phaser in his mouth. Before he can pull the trigger he hears a screeching voice yell "Miles!". His relief never comes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

lmao.

Are the relaunch novels worth reading? Are any of the novel series worth reading?
I think they're fine for awhile but there ends up being an issue with the DS9 books where there is a timeskip and suddenly Kira is a Vedek now and this one long-running plot issue is suddenly resolved. Later on they went back and explained what happened but there were editorial issues which messed with the continuity for a bit.

also most of what they ended up doing with Sisko was not very good

It's not going to matter soon, because it appears there is going to be one final trilogy coming out this fall that is going to end the last two decades of continuity because of the conflicts with the novelverse and the continuity created by Star Trek Picard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

O'Brian goes on a mission to hunt every copy of himself and end their suffering. When he finally succeeds he smiles in relief for the first time as he puts a phaser in his mouth. Before he can pull the trigger he hears a screeching voice yell "Miles!". His relief never comes.

I don't get it. Who has a screeching voice? Definitely not Bashir.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Rascals is an incredibly dark story when you think about it.

Rascals already has a weird tonal dissonance where some really awful poo poo is happening - like, the dialogue for the pirate attack makes it sound like the Enterprise is about to be blown the gently caress up, heavy casualties - but the music and directing is so blasé it's like "oh, huh, this is kind of a problem, i guess?"

And then most of the crew is beamed down to a planet to be enslaved, but the kids and Riker are having a bouncy adventure outsmarting the pirates.

I know people like to bag on the first two seasons but I honestly think it would have worked better as a second season episode. Rascals really suffered from the stuffiness of late TNG.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 13, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PJOmega posted:

Keiko O'Brien.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Rascals was a Ron Moore script so mark up another reason he's on my poo poo list. It boggles me that he thought having a couple of busted old birds of prey knocking down the Enterprise was a better approach than, say, having the Ferengi fake a distress signal to lure them in and then sucker-punch them. Also hilarious that supposedly mean ol' Rick Berman had to really wring his hands over "space pirates" in Gambit because ~~*~the Great Bird of the Galaxy~*~~ decreed "thou shalt not write space pirates in My Star Trek" meanwhile not so much as a peep a year earlier when a bunch of space pirates literally board the Enterprise and enslave its crew.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PJOmega posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Keiko O'Brien.

can we loving not

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rascals was a Ron Moore script so mark up another reason he's on my poo poo list. It boggles me that he thought having a couple of busted old birds of prey knocking down the Enterprise was a better approach than, say, having the Ferengi fake a distress signal to lure them in and then sucker-punch them. Also hilarious that supposedly mean ol' Rick Berman had to really wring his hands over "space pirates" in Gambit because ~~*~the Great Bird of the Galaxy~*~~ decreed "thou shalt not write space pirates in My Star Trek" meanwhile not so much as a peep a year earlier when a bunch of space pirates literally board the Enterprise and enslave its crew.

Hah, that episode was given to Moore and he was not happy with the premise at all. He says he did his best but has acknowledged that the Ferengi/Birds of Prey was a pretty lovely handwave in an episode full of handwaves.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they weren't pirates, they were privateers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's like the opposite of a pirate, basically.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean Rascals was never going to be a good episode. I don’t think anyone could have saved it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

infernal machines posted:

That's like the opposite of a pirate, basically.

it's a huge difference but not one a lubber would understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
I enjoyed Rascals, just for child Guinan taunting child Ro. Also, I like that child Guinan's actress already played a child version of Whoopi Goldberg in Sister Act (which I enjoyed more than Rascals).