Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
............Little Green Men.

Lmao DS9 rules so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder that according to Garak in Empok Nor, all Cardassians are naturally racist and all it took was a drug adminstered by accidentally putting his hand in it to make him mega murder racist.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Dabir posted:

Reminder that according to Garak in Empok Nor, all Cardassians are naturally racist and all it took was a drug adminstered by accidentally putting his hand in it to make him mega murder racist.

Cardassians are just 16 year old /pol/ posters with warp drive.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they do neg for courtship after all...

The General
Mar 4, 2007

holefoods posted:

The insane thing is that Alaimo genuinely thought Dukat was a heroic good guy. He basically was Gul Dukat and was confused when the writers started pushing to make him more overtly evil instead of just kind of playfully evil.

I got real #meetoo vibes from Alaimo from the DS9 documentary :ohdear:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I forget where I read it but wasn't one of the other Cardassian traits something like "these guys will literally never stop monologuing if you give them the opportunity"

Very lol.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The General posted:

Yeah, I felt the same way. Speaking of, the writers room scenes were interesting as well. I was thinking that Ron Moore would be a bit more talkative but he seemed like he was... not really wanting to be there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Moore might have gotten a start with star trek but he always seemed really restrained and low key frustrated with the production on trek shows. Galactica feels incredibly angry whenever it takes on Trek topics and does them BSG style.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
So it seems that when they were spitballing TNG back in 1986 in a Paramount board room they has a concept that they would get away from the contractual required "Kirk, Spock and McCoy in every scene" triumvirate system of TOS and go for an ensemble cast system. So basically in addition to binge watching every sci-fi flick from the 80s they also watched a lot of ensemble show like LA Law and Hill Street Blues. Part of the concept was that rather than redshirts dying every episode characters we knew would die and this would create tension. Also Tasha Yar's character was supposed to be a rip off of Jenette Goldstein's character from Aliens and they called her Macha which they dropped when they found out it sounded too lesbian.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Moore might have gotten a start with star trek but he always seemed really restrained and low key frustrated with the production on trek shows. Galactica feels incredibly angry whenever it takes on Trek topics and does them BSG style.

BSG is literally "This is how I would've made Voyager, gently caress you Rick Berman" if you've seen his post-VOY discussions..

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

Jenette Goldstein

I just learned she's the voice of the Enterprise Computer in the Short Treks. Wonder if she'll be back for Strange New Worlds.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

BSG is literally "This is how I would've made Voyager, gently caress you Rick Berman" if you've seen his post-VOY discussions..

BSG is very good but ironically it probably could have been helped out by someone being a pain in the rear end and saying to lighten up or drop this plot or explain this, etc...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

holefoods posted:

BSG is very good but ironically it probably could have been helped out by someone being a pain in the rear end and saying to lighten up or drop this plot or explain this, etc...

Those people were on strike at the time.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Dukat has got to be the best multi-episode villain in all of Trek, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Dukat has got to be the best multi-episode villain in all of Trek, right?

He's no Ed Bagley Jr.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Remember that this was an intentional choice by the writers because they wanted to show bajorans had a nonhuman psychology that was more prone to authoritarianism.

The thing is, I don't think they had to do that, because it's something I can see human societies doing too. When the only thing that's kept you together for 50 years is your religion, and then a messenger from your gods shows up and says, "Hey, the gods say that our society needs to do X in order to move forward", you're going to get a lot of buy in there. Sabbatai Zevi, the 17th century Jewish messianic claimant got an enormous number of followers willing to do whatever he said, for example, with a bunch of them even converting to Islam on his orders.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The General posted:

I mean, it's telling that they couldn't get Alaimo for the documentary and instead had to re-use footage from the DVD special features. But, yes, he came across as a bit of a pill to work with.

Then again, that entire documentary is a goddamn mess, and it was always destined to be a mess after Ira Behr took over as the director. He spends so much of the runtime huffing his own farts, and ultimately it just gets aggravating.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDpxuWj2A7o
What a wonderful monster.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I haven't watched DS9 in a long time but that short clip was very engrossing. I think Dukat's channelling European colonialism there.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Maybe let actors direct but never let them write is the lesson of Trek

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Trying posted:

Maybe let actors direct but never let them write is the lesson of Trek

Counterpoint: Andrew Robinson. His Garak novel is great.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Why would you deny me The Return...

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It turns out that the idea of having a race of shape shifters to be antagonists is one of the early ideas they had back in '86. The same for the borg but it they called a Mind Swarm. I think at least one major writer who churned out a ton of ideas ended up getting hosed over pay and ended up filing a grievance with the Writer's Guild.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

It turns out that the idea of having a race of shape shifters to be antagonists is one of the early ideas they had back in '86. The same for the borg but it they called a Mind Swarm. I think at least one major writer who churned out a ton of ideas ended up getting hosed over pay and ended up filing a grievance with the Writer's Guild.

the weird space roaches were supposed to be a big bad multiseason enemy but it just petered out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I want to see all the alternate TNGs. The Conspiracy storyline borne out to its conclusion, Ferengi treated as a prominent threat through a major arc, etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
picard dying in bobw because stewart left

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Patrick Stewart being replaced with French Stewart

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

picard dying in bobw because stewart left

Consequently Shelby becoming first officer for the rest of the series.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Did they ever explain what was blowing up outposts in the rom/fed neutral zone at the end of S1? Also I had a good lol at everyone being so shocked that the Romulans would appear before them, considering Tomalak's smug prick face starts showing up wherever they go from then on out :v:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Patrick Stewart being replaced with French Stewart

Can he still receive messages from the Big Giant Head?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Danaru posted:

Did they ever explain what was blowing up outposts in the rom/fed neutral zone at the end of S1? Also I had a good lol at everyone being so shocked that the Romulans would appear before them, considering Tomalak's smug prick face starts showing up wherever they go from then on out :v:

It's heavily implied to be a Borg scouting party demolishing the outposts. Then after Q introduced them directly to the Borg the scout cube got much more aggressive and this is what led to Best of Both Worlds.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

I want to see all the alternate TNGs. The Conspiracy storyline borne out to its conclusion, Ferengi treated as a prominent threat through a major arc, etc.

Security Chief Macha Hernandez.
The enormous two-level bridge that looks like an airport lounge.
Sir Patrick in a hairpiece and doing a French accent.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Powered Descent posted:

Security Chief Macha Hernandez.
The enormous two-level bridge that looks like an airport lounge.
Sir Patrick in a hairpiece and doing a French accent.

"Zeez are ze voyages of ze starsheep Awntarpareeze..."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Canonly pansexual Riker

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Can he still receive messages from the Big Giant Head?

Sure, it turns out to be those aliens from the Nth degree though

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It's heavily implied to be a Borg scouting party demolishing the outposts. Then after Q introduced them directly to the Borg the scout cube got much more aggressive and this is what led to Best of Both Worlds.

The borg are a bit over two years away from the Federation in Q Who at the beginning of S2, then show up at the end of S3. There's a fair case to be made that the Borg Cube was originally written as a unique entity, and that upon seeing the Enterprise it immediately beelined for the Federation at maximum speed.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It's interesting how much of original-premise new trek about the Enterprise being a giant, demilitarised luxury space ark with everyone's families on board made it in. Like the idea that they can reconfigure their environments to fit their original home life giving us the holodeck. Also lol at how much that went out of the window later on with all the pew pew space battles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, you can't really reconcile keeping families on board with the actual things the enterprise did. that's supposedly what the saucer separation was for, but we've been over why they almost never used it repeatedly in this thread.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because they realized how stupid this ship looked without the saucer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that and the expense, yeah.