Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

The Irishman Who Went Up a Lieutenant But Came Down a Chief Petty Officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dick Fontaine posted:

My personal best-guess headcanon is that for a while, Starfleet enlisted ranks had ever-so-slightly differently-colored rank pips than officers -- perhaps a little more brassy than silvery -- which was approved by an Admiral of a species that had much better visual acuity in that particular range. Anyway, the confusion was soon noticed and so O'Brien's DS9-style rank insignia soon came into being to clear the matter up.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Chief O'Brien! You'd better have a good reason to be wearing OFFICER'S PIPS!"

"Well, Captain, sir, I do. I thought since Starfleet wasn't a military organization, and Lt. Worf got to wear around his sash, that I could just keep this on my collar as, well, a bit of flair... Sir."

"I sense he's not being completely truthful, Captain... Now I'm sensing fear, and hostility..."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Picard orders Riker to tear off O'Brien's uniform bit by bit, right in front of everybody on the bridge

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Pulling the Riker maneuver onto O'Brien's turgid and well marbled lap.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

Geordi took O'Brien's pips when he got promoted a couple ranks between seasons because apparently you can't replicate the drat things, at least that's what they keep telling Harry

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
o'brien's the sort to doggedly take a casual excuse at face value and come up with a plan to specifically deal with that excuse. so if rank pips couldn't be found, he'd learn to make his own despite that not really solving anything.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blistex posted:

The Miles O'Brien thread was the funniest Star Trek content ever made.

Link please.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Annie Wersching, who played the Borg Queen on the most recent season of Picard, and had other prominent roles such as Tess in 'The Last of Us' and Jack Bauer's love interest on '24', died of cancer at 45.

https://twitter.com/roddenberry/status/1619788609065992193?s=20&t=I7g6rB1mS9UMPkZPFPfwGw

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
truly a tragedy. too bad about the cancer, too.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I remember she was really good in 24, she was still so young :(

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

They made a big deal about debuting the Picard Show trailer during the AFC Championship halftime tonight. From what I can tell, Riker is trying to gently caress Picard. I dunno. I didn't watch the full trailer.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Riker, having ravaged his way through all the people of Risa, has set his sexual sights onto the Federation, starting with an old friend.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mycomancy posted:

Link please.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600096

Edit: I think it took about 10 pages to warm up and find its groove.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 30, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Blistex posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600096

Edit: I think it took about 10 pages to warm up and find its groove.

LMAO at this. Its loving great.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Riker, having ravaged his way through all the people of Risa, has set his sexual sights onto the Federation, starting with an old friend.

The box on artificial life hasn't been checked yet. (Holograms don't count.)

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

They made a big deal about debuting the Picard Show trailer during the AFC Championship halftime tonight. From what I can tell, Riker is trying to gently caress Picard. I dunno. I didn't watch the full trailer.

I watched the whole trailer, looks like it’s trying to replicate the feel of beloved Star Trek film, Star Trek Nemesis, but like darker.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I watched the whole trailer, looks like it’s trying to replicate the feel of beloved Star Trek film, Star Trek Nemesis, but like darker.

Well goodness I'm in for that

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

When Picard said “Engage!” in the trailer it gave me all the feels*

*profound sadness

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I liked that they've dropped pretty much all of the original cast, it seems like the drug addled woman might be a villian now.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Remember when Picard went to the orgy planet and read a book like a nerd?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's a shame, the Risan Silk-Robe-Wearing Book Club is tailor-made for folks like him.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
There's a holographic projection on Risa of Picard reading his book. The monument reads: "To an Unknown Nerd".

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

It looks so loving bad. So many meta comedy lines that are completely uncharacteristic if the characters.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Prurient Squid posted:

There's a holographic projection on Risa of Picard reading his book. The monument reads: "To an Unknown Nerd".

The president of Risa slams a fist down on his desk as he bellows into the phone, "what do you mean, he doesn't want to gently caress!?"

naem
May 29, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

davidspackage posted:

The president of Risa slams a fist down on his desk as he bellows into the phone, "what do you mean, he doesn't want to gently caress!?"

“oh, he fucks.”

says PI-NEMESIS-CARD, mugging the camera britishly frenchly from his dune buggy, hot young 47 year old robot girlfriend by his side

“he fucks. HARD.”

the dune buggy spins out across a desolate landscape as the entire cast of TNG stand in the background wailing

“I’m dead! WERE DEEEEEEAD!!! AHH WAH WAAAAAAH!!!!! MISERY!!!!!! EVERYTHING REALLY SUUUUUCKS!!”

horn noises play as the cast make convincing unhappy faces as dollars rain down, scooping up bills to tuck into their pockets and trying to not look directly at the camera unsuccessfully

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This morning BBC America had the TNG episode where Picard, Ro, Guinan, and Keiko are turned into kids.

Respect to Miles for A) being a professional during a difficult transport and possibly losing his wife - unless he figured a 40% drop in mass was likely losing one of the others, and B) proving he is not an anime fan by being creeped out by his adult wife being trapped in the body of a child.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Child Keiko is just absolutely terrible at reading the room.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
MIIIIIllllllllles

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Miles to his engineering team: "Got a babysitter for tonight so me and Keiko have some time alone. Gonna show her my O-Brien face."

Engineer: "Your what?"

Miles: "O. *cries* O. *weeps* O. *whimpers*"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

IM FERAL MOLLY, RARRGHHHHHH

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Did they ever make a feral molly action figure?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Miles_O%27Brien#Problematic_rank_history

I knew it was inconsistent but not this much. Basically no one really knew what O'Briens rank was even after Worf's stepdad identified it and even up to season 5 of DS9 they were loving it up

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I knew it was inconsistent but not this much. Basically no one really knew what O'Briens rank was even after Worf's stepdad identified it and even up to season 5 of DS9 they were loving it up

Whatever it is now on STO is canon.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The most interesting one was the point where he addresses Worf as an inferior officer

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I'd like to believe his Starfleet official file was just for unknown reasons always getting hosed up, so once every week or two he'd just rock up to work and the computer would say he was an entirely different rank. At first he tried to correct it, but after a while he gave up bothering and just gave up and went with it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My theory is that O'Brien is a member of the Federation Workers Union and has seniority within that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They demoted O'brien because he got drunk at work and swapped Riker's and Worfs genitals

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The most interesting one was the point where he addresses Worf as an inferior officer

I think he was referring to Worf's abilities rather than rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The most interesting one was the point where he addresses Worf as an inferior father