Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

Reed you loving suck

Set phasers to regret :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

TBH that's a big complaint I have about all the star treks is that the personal quarters lack so much personalization EXCEPT that mccoy's sickbay has the weirdest loving decor. like not a lot but it's like... is that medical? what is that? what's the theme? i assume it's just "poo poo we found around the lot"

production staff always kept an eye out for anything lying around the lot, including random garbage, that could be used as set dressing

THS posted:

the entire tos bridge crew is a polycule and only network censors prevented gene’s vision from being realized

this... isn't quite as facetious as it might seem on first glance.

gene roddenberry liked to tell a story wherein the ~network censors~ said "you can't say half the crew is women! don't you see, people will think there's a lot of fooling around going on up there" and gene got into a big argument with the network over it because this is the enlightened space future and our men in uniform shouldn't have to share bunks or suffer the officer/enlisted divide or not have constant access to rear end. the network came back and said "alright, final offer, you can have one-third of the crew be women" and gene thinks "well, hell, they're all healthy young women, they can handle the rest of the crew" and accepts.

anyway the story of gene roddenberry bravely prevailing against the mean ol' network was (like many of his stories) probably bullshit, but it does illustrate that he did think everyone on that ship was "fooling around"

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

In one of the TOS episodes a dude offers a sack of gems to Kirk and he just replies "those are worthless, we can produce thousands of those", but in another episode they are investigating a mining colony because it was behind schedule, so I think the "it varies from episode to episode" where is TOS economy at is the best answer.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

production staff always kept an eye out for anything lying around the lot, including random garbage, that could be used as set dressing

The WOK DVD extras had a crewmember in charge of set design talking about how they used the packing materials for fluorescent light bulbs as set dressing and how everyone on the studio lot thought they were crazy for using garbage on set, and then packaging set pieces after they were done to reuse instead of just trashing everything like was normal in Hollywood at the time. (apparently a lot of the people for WOK had worked on the original series and had developed a tradition of saving stuff to recycle on later episodes due to their limited budget).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

TyrsHTML posted:

In one of the TOS episodes a dude offers a sack of gems to Kirk and he just replies "those are worthless, we can produce thousands of those", but in another episode they are investigating a mining colony because it was behind schedule, so I think the "it varies from episode to episode" where is TOS economy at is the best answer.

Wasn't that a dilithium mining colony? If you're talking about Mirror, Mirror, then I'm pretty sure it was. It's one of the few things they can't replicate.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TyrsHTML posted:

There's kind of a difference between "we can manufacture a bucket of 'precious' gems on our starship, whatever" and a resource extraction operation that provides industrial quantities of ore for multiple planetary economies; those scenarios are not at all exclusive to each other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TyrsHTML posted:

The latter being The Devil In The Dark? I figure poo poo like gemstones aren't jack to the Federation because (as we're not really far off today) they can produce plenty of shiny rocks in various colours, but rare stuff you can't find on Earth like Dilithium or whatever is another matter.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's kind of a difference between "we can manufacture a bucket of 'precious' gems on our starship, whatever" and a resource extraction operation that provides industrial quantities of ore for multiple planetary economies; those scenarios are not at all exclusive to each other.

My brain is really bad about remembering that they haven't invented? mastered? replicators yet. Honestly there's a bunch of mining talk for federation use in TNG and DS9, I guess replicators cant really keep up with demand even by then.

TyrsHTML fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 12, 2018

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

In Arena, Kirk does refer to some diamonds as being an "incredible fortune in stones"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It's almost like the hundreds of different writers spanning several decades and dozens of series and feature films don't consult each other for continuity.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

replicators dont magically create matter from nothing they need raw materials to build from, erego mining

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Replicators get their raw matter straight from waste extraction

The poop cycle

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

Replicators get their raw matter straight from waste extraction

The poop cycle

that water coming out of the tap was once dinosaur piss

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lets just cut the middleman and just piss in each others mouths

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

HD DAD posted:

Lets just cut the middleman and just piss in each others mouths

:smugdon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You're gross. Unlike Spock, who is never gross... provided he remembers to shave

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

we have the best laws of acquisition folks, just tremendous. best laws of acquisition, no contest. and the federation, i don't wanna say... i hear they don't even like profit over there. and they're not sending their best people to administrate bajoran space. i'm not the one saying the cardassians should look into sisko's holonovels, but... [shrugs, his arms wide] i don't know. you tell me folks, you tell me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm so happy that the Internet gave a huge retard a massive platform so that he can be invoked as a thing in literally everything.

inb4 turn on ur monitor

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i thought bear grylls was mostly cable tv

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Well I’m doing it, I’ve started watching Discovery. Can’t be any worse than VOY/ENT right?

Quiet though, having to turn the volume up massively just to hear what people are saying.

ahhagahaha you fool i watched like 12 episodes of ds9 while & then after you were doing this and have been cranky all day due to lack of sleep. there is a 10 episode run at the end of s2/beginning of s3 that is just hit after hit

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ds9 has a great freakin stride in there

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i love when kirk gets the soft angelic girl camera lens. makes him so beautiful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chapter 1

Chapter 2: The Grid

"Captain's Log: After establishing communications with 'Zordon' we quickly were able to determine a number of things about his status and the status of Eltar. He asked us about a number of planets: Inquiris, Aquitar, Edenoi, to name a few. Checking our astrometrics data found planets roughly matching in location and size, but nothing else. Zordon claims to have been trapped in an interdimenesional time warp by a malevolent force known as Rita Repulsa. Data has theorized that if he is from an alternate dimension, all of these planets could simply be in a different state here. In our own dimension, the NX Banks may have encountered Eltar during a brief period of time where it intersected with our own dimension. Further examination of the system's sun has shown fluctuations similar to a recently discovered planet known as Meridian, which shifts between dimensions. An NX vehicle would not have been sophisticated enough to detect such fluctuations. Zordon has named the energy field through which he is interacting with our warp core as something called the 'Morphin Grid'. I have called a senior staff meetng to discuss our next move from here."

As Captain Picard walked toward the conference room, he was stopped by his longtime companion, Guinan. "Jean-Luc," she said "If you don't mind I'd like to sit in on this meeting. Something tells me I may be able to provide insight."

"You're more than welcome," Picard smiled. Guinan was a member of the El-Aurian race, a mysterious and nomadic people that had taken to roaming the stars when their homeworld was taken by the Borg. "We are dealing with a being from another dimension, another timeline, or both, and you often have had strong instincts for such situations." Picard and Guinan walked into the conference room where the senior staff was waiting, except for their chief medical officer, Beverly Crusher, whose expertise was not relevant. Deanna Troi, Geordi Laforge, Commander Riker, Lt. Commander Data, and Lt. Commander Worf were waiting. Picard pulled out a chair for Guinan before walking to the head of the table. "What we know," he began. "The being known as Zordon claims to be from Eltar, and claims to have been trapped by a powerful force. Do we have the responsibility, or the right, to help him? If so, what options do we have at our disposal? Number One?"

Riker answered, "The prime directive doesn't seem to be an issue. He's claiming experience with interstellar travel, and is obviously a form of life at least as advanced as us."

"Some of his claims, however," Data interjected, "are suspect. Namely, that he has been trapped by an 'evil' sorceror named Rita Repulsa."

"What was your opinion as to his intentions, Deanna?" Picard asked.

"He seemed sincere in the things he told us about himself, but more than anything, he seemed lonely" she said. "However true his claims are, he does appear trapped in a realm we are unfamiliar with, and seems to have been there for quite some time, isolated."

"If he has been placed there as a prisoner," Worf stated, "then perhaps he is meant to be there. He may have been placed there because he was dangerous. Kirk's Enterprise encountered a number of such entities."

Picard noted the observation. "What of the 'morphin grid', Laforge? He seems to describe it as both an energy and a place. Have you been able to detect any such fields?"

"No, captain," he answered, "but I believe I have been able to see something of its range. As we've orbited the planet, at times the signal we've recieved through the warp engines has gotten weaker, then stronger again as we approach the previous point of orbit. This 'morphin' grid may exist only in his universe, and the location of strongest point of the signal shows telltale signs of a subspace interphase pocket."

"So moving from the planet will cut off communications?" Picard asked.

"Unfortunately, Captain, yes." Geordi answered. Guinan shifted in her seat and clearly had something to say.

"Pardon my interruption," she began, "but what would your action be if you trusted Zordon implicitly? If there was no doubt about his motive or status?"
Picard deferred to his Number One. "If that were the case," he said "it would be our responsibility, our priority, to attempt to free him."

"And how would you do that?" Guinan asked again.

"We would need to understand the properties of the Morphin Grid" Data answered, "and by doing so, understand the properties of his prison."

Picard could see what Guinan was playing at. "In order to learn more about the grid, we will need to work with Zordon in mutual trust. By doing so, we will learn more about him as well, and learn whether or not we can believe his claims."

"Whether or not we free him from the prison, working towards a solution will be beneficial to understanding it" Troi added.

"Any objections to that approach?" Picard asked. None objected. "Very well then. Lt. Laforge, I want you and Mr. Data to try and come up with a communications solution that will allow us to leave but stay in contact. Deanna, continue conversing with Zordon and try to get a read on him. Mr Worf, continue surveying the planet's surface. Number One, you have the conn. I'd like updates on each of your progress in four hours."

"Dismissed" Riker ordered, and they all went to work, except Guinan, who went back to run the ship's recreational bar, Ten Forward.

--------------------------------

Reginald Barclay was aboard the holodeck of the Enterprise, developing a new holoprogram. "Computer, at this point, the main character, will take out the, uh, illicit crops using an old crop duster filled with ammonia."

"Let's get in the plane, Murdoch!" a large, mohawked, holo-character shouted.

"Computer pause," Barclay commanded. "That's not... no, you see," he said almost apologetically "The B.A. character hates flying. He would never get on a plane."

"Please specify partner character" the computer requested.

"Ah... um... hmm... I suppose Hannibal would make the most sense. If the player asks B.A. to get in the plane, have him call Murdoch crazy."

"Warning:" the computer responded, "the term 'crazy' may be offensive to players."

"Well, ah, yes" Barclay stammered. "But it's a period piece! That's how they talked back then!" Before the computer responded, a chime alerted Barclay that someone outside wanted to come in. "Have I gone over my time?" Barclay asked.

"Negative," the computer answered. "You have fifteen more minutes."

"Ah, well," Barclay said, "let's see who it is regardless. Exit!" At the exit command, a large door appeared from nowhere and opened in the middle of the simulation. Geordi and Data were waiting on the other side. "Oh, Lt. Commander Laforge, Commander Data! Nice to see you!"

The pair entered and Geordi surveyed the simulation. "Thanks for letting us in during your time, Reg. This looks like an... interesting program."

"Oh, it's a new program I'm developing, I'm thinking of making a series of them!" Barclay excitedly answered. "It's an action adventure series set in Earth's late 20th century. I'm either going to call it the Action Team or the Adventure Team."

Data poked at the gold chains on the holographic B.A. character. "Interesting fashion choices." he observed.

"Look Reg," Geordie began, "You're familiar with the Zordon situation? The interdimensional communication?"

"Y-Yes", Barclay responded. "My original holodeck appointment got canceled due to the power fluctuations." Before Geordi could say anything else Barclay quickly added "Which is fine!"

"We have been tasked with developing a more stable and portable means of communications" Data informed Barclay. "This should not be difficult, we will construct a miniature anti-matter reactor, and link it with an encrypted subspace beacon."

"Do you need my help?" Barclay asked, half nervous, half eager.

"Well," Laforge answered, "kind of. We got communications going by adjusting the power to the holodeck. I think we could compensate with reserve power to keep the holodeck running without interruption until the beacon is ready, but it occurred to me, Zordon might want a more permanent presence on the ship, and we can't keep him on the ship's main screen all the time."

"So if you are modifying the holodeck power output, what better place to put him?" Barclay asked.

"Precisely." Data answered. "Well reasoned, lieutenant."

"Computer," Barclay requested. "Save and suspend program." The computer complied, and the Mexican farmland and characters around them faded away, leaving the holodeck's green gridded black walls and floors.

Geordi handed Barclay a Padd with an image and some known information of Zordon and specs for their beacon on it. "We'd like you to design a communication center for our guest while we work on the anti-matter fluctuation beacon."

"Excuse my asking, sirs," Reggie added, "but why limit our guest to a particular design?"

"What do you mean?" Geordi asked.

"Well," Reggie said, "We're going to holographically make the equipment he'll appear on, correct?"

"Yes-" Geordi began.

Reggie interrupted. "Computer, generate a transparent aluminum tube, enclosed on top and bottom, one meter diameter, ten meters tall." The computer complied. Geordi held his thought and waited for an explanation. "Now generate some radio communications pillars on either side of the tube, with the ability to send and receive audio/visual from the tube." The computer did so.

"This is fine, Reg, and I like that the tube will give him 360-degree vision, but it's a little bare bone, don't you think?"

"That's the beauty of it, sir," Barclay responded. "It's the holodeck! If we give Zordon level 1 access, he can craft his surroundings however he desires, and that's low enough that it can't pose any kind of danger." Geordie tilted his head and nodded.

"Lieutenant," Data interjected, "If there were such a position as chief holodeck officer, I believe you would be well qualified." Barclay wasn't sure if that were sincere or if Data were experimenting with sardonics, but took the compliment.

"I'll take your schematics and fine tune the simulation for compatibility", he replied. "You two can concentrate on your build." With that, Geordi and Data began to take their leave. "Oh, one other thing!" Barclay piped up.

"Yes?" Data asked.

"I've been trying to convince Guinan to be in this children’s holoprogram I've been designing for the schools. Just something silly, a version of Earth with humanoid dinosaurs. She agreed to be in it, but I swear she's been avoiding me. Could you ask her about it the next time you see her?"

"I do not believe such a solicitation would be appropriate." Data paused for a moment "However, if it should come up in the natural course of conversation, I will mention your name." He continued outwards.

"Don't look at me," Geordi shrugged.

Picard walked into Ten forward and replicated some hot tea before taking a seat at the bar.

"So how's it going?" Guinan asked.

"Fairly well," Picard responded. "I couldn't help but observe some of Troi and Zordon's session. He's incredibly guarded, afraid of his knowledge falling into the 'wrong hands'."

"I guess that's not dissimilar to the federation" Guinan opined.

"Yes," he answered. Guinan just looked at him and waited for more. The El-Aurians were known as a race of listeners. "It is exciting to be speaking with a new form of life from another universe. We've interacted with other universes before, but most are quite similar to ours."

"What kind of differences are we talking about?" Guinan asked.

"He claims that space in his universe is not a vacuum, but largely permeated by a thin, breathable atmosphere. This has resulted in a diversity of life throughout his galaxy. Well, in so many words."

"What do you mean? What were his words?"

Picard sighed. "Monsters. He says most of the galaxy is populated by evil monsters, and that he serves as a sort of vanguard against them."

"Well that's not very... progressive" she replied.

Picard continued "Some of the things he's willing to tell us sound quite..." Picard searched for the right word, "deranged. I simply have to remind myself that even an advanced spacefaring race could have beliefs which we may find unorthodox, such as believing in witches and magic. If I had run into Q with different cultural experiences, I may have thought him a sorcerer." Picard took a long sip of his tea. "There is some dissonance between how advanced their travel capabilities seem, compared with his more primitive sensibilities."

"What kind of transportation?"

"He claims that while many races have ships, their main form of travel is similar to our transporter, but on an intergalactic scale. One could travel from here to a far-reaching galaxy in a matter of moments."

"And you believe if the federation had that kind of technology..." Guinan prompted.

"It would be a renaissance of exploration. Or a nonstop conflict of factions seeking that technology or using it for war."

"Has he said how his transporter works?"

"No. The tenor of the conversations we have had with him have not been that technical. Only that it is powered by the morphin grid. Hmm."

"Thought of something?" Guinan asked.

"I'll have to press for more details, but I wonder if the morphin grid bears any resemblance to the mycelium network, a short-lived experiment from a century ago."

"Well, I'm no engineer, captain. It wouldn't surprise me if Zordon's own understanding of the 'grid' is more mysticism than mechanism."

Picard nodded. "Thank you for the chat, Guinan. I'm going to rest until my next meeting." Picard left toward his quarters.

“Anytime” Guinan answered, as she turned to help a customer.

Lt. Worf had discovered something while surveying the planet that he did not want to wait to act on. A probe near the polar region of Eltar picked up nothing unusual until it went into a low enough orbit, it ceased communications. After it passed out of that orbit again, it had new data, totally different than their scans. It appeared that there was a sensor screen on the planet returning false data. The area the probe passed through had a breathable atmosphere and a warm and humid climate. He had requested and received a shuttle to go survey the region himself. Worf selected Ensign Kellogg to accompany him, as she was one of his most dependable subordinates. As their shuttle passed into the atmosphere, the desolate land immediately revealed itself as a fertile rainforest. Testing communications revealed they were now cut off from the Enterprise, but no other functions of the shuttlecraft appeared to be impacted. Sensors showed a large energy source at the pole. Worf had ensign Kellogg land them in a clearing about a kilometer away.

"Ensign Kellogg, we will proceed with the following: You are to stay aboard the shuttle, and continuously transmit a low frequency tone to my commbadge at three second intervals. Stay in communication with me at all times and be prepared with emergency transport. If communication is disrupted, I will return to the shuttle as swiftly as I can. Understood?"

"Yes sir," Kellogg answered, and immediately set up the three second interval signal. They tested their commbadges and Kellogg gave Worf a thumbs up. Worf turned to face the rainforest, drew his phaser, and set it to maximum stun. With his other hand he pulled out a tricorder to keep his bearings. The environment most reminded Worf of a childhood trip to Peru. Worf had been raised on Earth, despite being a Klingon, after he was orphaned in a pivotal battle between the Klingons and Romulans. His adoptive parents were Russian, and their traditional values combined with his own immersion into Klingon culture as an adolescent had given him quite a rigid and stoic personality. About halfway to the energy source, the jungle became so thick it was impassable. Worf chose to holster his phaser and draw his mek’leth, a two-pronged machete he had recently become fond of. The bat’leth was his normal choice for bladed sidearm, but required the use of both hands.

“The jungle is getting thick now” he narrated to his badge. “I am cutting through.” After ten minutes of slow traversal he seemed to come out into an area with more clear space. He wasn’t quite at the power source yet, but was getting close. Taking only a few steps he felt a sudden vibration beneath his feet. Worf froze and darted his eyes from side to side, looking for the source. He thought he saw some movement behind a cluster of trees. “Identify yourself!” he shouted. “I am here on a diplomatic mission!” He was met with an ear piercing, otherworldly shriek as a colossal skeleton emerged from behind the trees and took for him at a full charge. Worf did not recognize that the skeleton was that of a triceratops.

“What the hell was that, sir?” Kellogg asked from the other side of the comm, but was not met with an answer. Worf strafed to try and force the rapidly approaching behemoth to navigate around some more trees and slow it down – instead it crashed right through them. Perhaps returning through the thick brush from which he came would be a viable option of escape, but that was not the way of the warrior. Worf stared down the beast and took its measure. It was about 2 meters wide and at the speed it was charging, Worf believed he could leap out of the way before it could adjust its path if he waited until the last moment. He balanced on his back foot and spun out of the way, successfully dodging the charge. At the same time he took a swing at the beast as it passed. He could tell he had not damaged it at all. The mek’leth was designed to bleed an opponent dry, not break its bones. Worf ran to the trees that had just been downed, as the triceratops skidded to a halt and slowly turned itself around. Reaching within, Worf gathered the strength to pick up a large segment of trunk, dropping his tricorder in order to do so. While the dinosaur finished turning around, Worf was already charging it, and threw the trunk like a Scotsman throwing a caber. The beast finally got its bearing and began charging again when the tree trunk struck true, lodging part of itself between the creature’s spine and ribcage. It briefly stopped.

“Do you strike now?” he asked. It lumbered to the left and the right before shaking off the blow and running towards Worf again. Worf threw his mek’leth into the ground at its feet, causing the dinosaur to trip face first into the ground and slide towards him. “Graaaaa!” he shouted as he jumped in the air and grabbed the other end of the tree trunk, using his own weight to pull it like a lever. The spine cracked and the ribs snapped off. A supporting bone in the neck popped out and the skeleton was decapitated. The pile of bones now lay inanimate. “You were a worthy opponent” Worf paid his respect.

“Sir?” Kellogg continued, and had been asking throughout the encounter unnoticed.

“I am fine, ensign, thank you.” He finally replied. “I was attacked by a skeletal monster.” Worf looked for his tricorder where he had been forced to drop it, but unfortunately the skeleton had rolled into it in its death throes. “My tricorder has been destroyed”, he began, and seeing the state of his blade “as has my mek’leth.”

“Stand by for emergency transport” Ensign Kellogg offered.

“I still have my commbadge as well as my sidearm,” Worf responded. “That will not be necessary.”

“Well, that’s fortunate sir, because I can’t get a lock.” Kellogg said, a little frustrated. “The clearing you’ve entered has too much interference from whatever energy source you’re dealing with.”

Worf decided to return to the shuttle and restock, and come back with more men. However, as he approached the way he came he could see that the thick jungle had grown back where he had cut through, and was now impassable. “There is a new plan, ensign,” he began. “I am to continue forward. I will find the energy source and disable it so we can re-establish transporter lock. If we lose communication, you are to return to the Enterprise.”

“Understood, sir”. Kellogg was not one to argue with a superior officer. Worf surveyed the battle he had just won to determine which way he was facing when he was walking north. He determined as closely as he could which way he needed to go, and continued. His communicator resumed its regular beep.

---------------------------------------------

In the interest of showing open-ness Picard had decided to conduct the staff update meeting in the holodeck, where Zordon was now being transmitted. As he, Laforge, Data, and Troi left the turbolift towards the holodeck, they encountered Barclay, who was just leaving. Barclay stopped and stood at attention. “How is the communications center coming along, lieutenant?” the captain asked.

“He’s just finished, sir.” Barclay answered. “It’s… quite a setup.”

“Did you help him design it?” Geordi asked.

“No, sir,” Barclay answered. “He kept the tube and communications pylons, but took rather quickly to the holodeck. He had very detailed ideas.”

If there was anything else of note to know, Picard was ready to learn it from Zordon himself. “Thank you, lieutenant. That will be all.” He dismissed Reginald and they continued to the holodeck, where Picard opened the doors and they all entered. The room was indeed a lot to take in. This was not a simple communications center, but looked like a full-blown command center. The walls displayed an astral map, there were a number of consoles filled with glowing buttons and levers and topped by objects which appeared to be inert diamond shaped sirens. The two communications pillars were now four, and adorned with flashing rings, rainbow in color. At one end of the chamber was Zordon’s tube, as Barclay had constructed it, with a smiling Zordon inside. Opposite from him was a large, white, glowing orb on a pedestal.

“Welcome” Zordon said, “to my command center.”

Picard smiled back “I am glad to see our holodeck was of such assistance to you.” He observed some of the panels on the console, filled with what appeared to be unlabeled analog keys of various colors. “Tell me, is this similar to a room that would be found on your world?”

Zordon answered “This is a specialized room of my own design, which I have intended to have my assistant construct in my universe, so I can continue to observe and protect it.”

“Your assistant…” Picard began. “When we first reached communications with you, we noticed you were trying to establish a link with something or someone named Alpha. Is that who you are referring to?”

Zordon remained silent and an Android emerged from behind his tube. The android was clunky in design compared to data, appeared made of plastic armor encasing 20th century circuits or perhaps even vacuum tubes, with gloved hands and a flashing lightning bolt emblem on its chest. It had a saucer shaped head and appeared to use a VISOR system similar to Geordi’s for its vision. It waddled more than it walked, and awkwardly swung its arms from side to side. “Greetings!” it said warmly in a high-pitched voice. “I am Alpha H! Zordon has used your computer to construct me so I can assist him as well as you!”

Geordi and Data looked at each other for a moment, perhaps noting that the android looked like a cross between the two of them. They continued to defer to the captain. “Alpha H… pleased to meet you. You were able to generate this design using only verbal commands to the holodeck?”

Alpha answered before Zordon was able to “I am real steel, in the flesh, cap’n!”

Picard was a bit taken aback “You’re not a hologram?”

Zordon was finally able to answer. “Your lieutenant Barclay was most helpful. He allowed me low level access to your replicators, and using the holodeck I was able to construct him.”

Picard looked at Geordi to see if he had authorized this. From the grave look on his face he could tell that he had not. “Well,” he began, “we have come to discuss with you our findings so far.
Mr. Laforge, Mr. Data”.

Data spoke: “We have designed a relay which will convert your current power-based signal into a subspace one which we can broadcast normally. It is currently under construction and we expect our engineering team to be finished in eight hours.”

“I apologize for any confusion” Geordi added, “but our lieutenant shouldn’t have authorized any matter replication. He may have been over-eager to help, but at this point we don’t know if our ship would be safe for your android, or vice versa. I hope you won’t mind if we keep it confined to your command center.” Picard nodded in agreement with Geordi.

“That is understood.” Zordon replied. “I appreciate your hospitality, and your caution.” Alpha put his hands on his hips, indicating that he did not appreciate the caution.

“We would like to discuss your method of transportation and how it uses the ‘Morphin Grid’” Picard said. “That may be the key for us to understand your predicament. Counselor Troi talked to you about it generally but we would like to know if you can provide more information from an engineering standpoint.”

“The Morphin Grid is an energy field maintained by the eternal struggle between good and evil” Zordon began. Picard shifted uneasily. “It exists as a spectrum of colors, with each color occupying every location in space. Matter cannot normally exist within the grid, and when it enters, it will be kicked out. We can control where the matter is kicked out to a great degree, allowing for instant transportation.”

“And is this the realm where you are somehow trapped?” Picard asked.

“Zordon is not within the Morphin Grid itself”, Alpha answered. “He is in an unknown dimension adjacent to it, unspooled from linear time. He planned for this eventuality with a contingency plan that a counterpart of mine would build this command center in his universe. Even in his current state Zordon is able to at least influence the Grid enough to communicate through it.” The senior staff looked from Alpha to Zordon for confirmation.

“That is correct, Alpha” Zordon assured the officers.

“Data,” Geordi asked, “strips of color that can link two points in space faster than light… does that sound like a Verteron node to you?”

“Indeed, Lieutenant Commander,” Data answered. “Captain, there is an area of our universe’s space rich in Verterons, as well as phenomena involving non-linear time.”

The captain paused for a moment before answering “The Bajoran wormhole.”

“Yes, sir.” Data responded.

“Captain,” Troi finally spoke up, having been silent so far, “would you like me to ask Will to contact Deep Space Nine?”

Picard honestly considered it for a moment. Deep Space Nine was a Starfleet outpost next to the wormhole, administered by Commander Benjamin Sisko. The last time the two men spoke, it was quite clear that Sisko blamed Picard for the death of his wife. When Picard was assimilated by the Borg several years ago he had destroyed a fleet of Federation vessels while under their control. Picard put this out of his mind. “No,” he finally answered, “that would be my responsibility. Going to Deep Space Nine may be our best chance of direct interaction with the Morphin Grid or Zordon’s so-called time warp. I’ll inform the station’s commander to expect our arrival.” Picard turned back to Zordon “We will head out as soon as the communication beacon is ready and our security team returns from the planet’s surface.”

“You’ve landed on Eltar?” Zordon asked.

“Yes, near the northern polar region.” Picard answered. “Probes determined there was in fact an atmosphere there being shielded from our sensors. Our chief security officer Mr. Worf has gone to the surface to find the sensor shield so that we may figure out a way around it.”

“You must recall your officer immediately!” Zordon said, quite animated for the first time. The diamond sirens around the command center began flashing red and emitting a loud klaxon. “Behold the viewing globe” Zordon ordered.

Picard and the others turned around towards the orb, as they all correctly guessed it was the ‘viewing globe’. Images of a jungle appeared. “Zordon, why the sudden level of panic?” Troi asked.

“Your officer is in grave danger” he answered. “The northern pole of Eltar houses one of the great powers, the coins of Ninjor. In my universe these are safe in the hands of my assistant Alpha 5 on prehistoric Earth. Whichever version of Eltar is currently in your universe may be another story altogether.”

“What great power?” Picard demanded.

“The power coins in the hands of good would enable those worthy to become Power Rangers, warriors for justice and protectors of the universe. In the hands of evil, entire galaxies would fall at their feet.”

Picard was growing visibly frustrated with the black and white morality on display. “Please stop your histrionics, Zordon, and explain the direct danger!”

A massive triceratops skeleton appeared on the viewing globe. “This is the first guardian”, Zordon warned, “and these are second, third, fourth, and fifth”, he warned again as the viewing globe shifted to an ancient temple with giant statues in front of it. “These statue guardians are nearly indestructible.”

“Computer mute the klaxons!” Picard shouted, remembering they were in a simulation. The blaring stopped and he was able to concentrate again. “Why did you not warn us from going on the surface of your planet?”

“I believed Eltar’s sensor shields would prevent you from wanting to visit.” Zordon replied.

“Zordon,” Troi interjected, “We are trying to act on mutual trust. When you withhold information from us, it hurts our relationship, and hurts our ability to help you.”

“Yes…” Zordon began. “I am sorry. I am prone to keep secrets about my people unless absolutely necessary. Please recall your officers, it is for their own safety.”

“Within the field,” Picard stated, “they are cut off from communications with us. We can send another shuttle into low orbit to order their return.”
Picard’s commbadge suddenly beeped, “Riker to Picard”.

“Go ahead.”

“Sir, Ensign Kellogg just returned to the Enterprise under the orders of Lieutenant Worf. She says he fought some kind of creature, and shortly thereafter his communicator ceased working.”

“On my way to the bridge, Number One”. Picard shot a quick glare at Zordon before ordering the holodeck exit and moving quickly to the turbolift.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 17, 2018

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I like your fanfiction.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
“If the Federation had that kind if tech” is something Guinan would never, ever say.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But otherwise really good

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Good to know throw pillows live up to their name in the future.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think Data would have brushed Barclay off a bit more politely, or at least with more explanation, but that is a nitpick. DS9 Worf showing up in TNG is kind of fun though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Pick, I picked up and read Roadside Picnic.

It was ok.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

Pick, I picked up and read Roadside Picnic.

It was ok.

Thanks for the suggestion!

cvongrats, that's better than 99% of most things ever written!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Roadside Picknic, yuk yuk yuk

THS
Sep 15, 2017

just made a guide to the first season of TNG, for a friend who has never watched it before. they watched DS9 first so i kind of put the cart in front of the horse:

1+2. "Encounter at Farpoint" - this owns, it's good. Roddenberry bitched about it being a two parter but I like the existential poo poo his brain was working through with the trial
3. "The Naked Now" pretty critical for getting the characters.
4. "Code of Honor" <<<<NEVER WATCH THIS EPISODE>>>> NEVER EVER WATCH THIS. THEY LITERALLY IMMEDIATELY FIRED THE DIRECTOR. EVERYONE HATES IT AND THEY FEEL BAD.
5. "The Last Outpost" So this is still the 80s and Roddenberry thought the Ferengi would be the ultimate enemy of the Federation. At this point he's on a lot of pills and alcohol. He dies two years later.
6. "Where No One Has Gone Before" Gay
7. "Lonely Among Us" Fine. A decent episode.
8. "Justice" Pretty bad, this is where it becomes clear Gene Roddenberry is a sex creep, and losing his mind in late stage syphilis.
9. "The Battle" Also dumb, more Ferengi, kind of fun but pretty terrible. Remember how DS9 made these aliens into real people?
10. "Hide and Q" Jesus christ
11. "Haven" This is an OK Troi episode, and it introduces her mom. really important: lwaxwana is literally Gene Roddenberry's wife. ALSO SHE IS THE COMPUTER VOICE ON ALL STAR TREK SERIES
12. "The Big Goodbye" This one owns
13. "Datalore" Important but not really good
14. "Angel One" Gay but some good shots of Riker's chest hair
15. "11001001" THIS ONE OWNS. Highly recommend. Seriously good. Probably the best of the first season.
16. "Too Short a Season" This is a cool sci-fi story, the make-up is bad but I love the story.
17. "When the Bough Breaks" Watch it. I kind of like this one because it's an interesting sci-fi story.
18. "Home Soil" Riker fucks
19. "Coming of Age" I hate this episode with a thousand passions, it sucks rear end. I loving hate it.
20. "Heart of Glory" First real Klingon episode, you can't miss it! Also loving cool soundtrack.
21. "The Arsenal of Freedom" It's fine.
22. "Symbiosis" Good episode about a moral quandry between two worlds in the same system.
23. "Skin of Evil" Terrible. I loving hate it.
24. "We'll Always Have Paris" cheesy but a good Picard episode
25. "Conspiracy" owns owns owns owns owns
26. "The Neutral Zone" dukat is a romulan in this. its good

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You have bad opinions on Star Trek, like every other Star Trek fan but me.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Zesty posted:

You have bad opinions on Star Trek, like every other Star Trek fan but me.

fuckckk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They're going to be very confused if you make them not watch Skin of Evil.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're going to be very confused if you make them not watch Skin of Evil.

remember the last act where picard gives a monologue about human dignity after his security officer got absorbed by a swamp monster

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Instead of having their first exposure to TNG being season 1, why don't you show them something good? Clues or The Most Toys or something like that. Maybe the Wounded if they're already familiar with Cardassians and O'Brien.

and then if they're totally into it, have them go watch literally all of it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

they're already sold by DS9, i think far point is good. they also love camp and the first season of TNG has plenty of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I was watching the episode where worf is having trouble with dimensions or whatever after he comes back from his shore leave, and it's just another great example of why Riker is awesome.

When Worf looks on edge because he's worried a surprise party has been organised Riker dresses him down a bit for not listening to him, when Worf explains he quite angrily says he hates surprise parties and implies it's basically offensive that Worf would suggest he would organise one.

Then Worf walks into another room and everyone throws the surprise party and in come Riker with that poo poo eating grin and puts a hat on Worf and is like "lol i totally lied I love surprise parties"