Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I mean knowing him it's probably a rescue and that's why it's cropped but he should also know that raising the profile of a companion animal on television is basically handing out thousands of that breed to kill shelters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The producers thought about it as far as Patrick Stewart saying "I want a dog. It has to be a pitbull. It has to be a rescue."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Why does the dog out rank his servants

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Ghostlight posted:

The producers thought about it as far as Patrick Stewart saying "I want a dog. It has to be a pitbull. It has to be a rescue."

My dog is also a pitbull from a shelter, with natural ears. In the municipal shelter we got her from I don't remember seeing any dogs with cropped ears.

It's like that scene of ST:ID with the doctor chick wearing a Victoria's Secret bra, meaning women in the future are still subjected to hot, chafing underwire bras. There's plenty of money in their budgets, this is just indicative of lack of caring, thought, and imagination. They like spaceships and lasers and androids but no thought on "let's make sure we don't just project our current stupid societal flaws onto a society with more technology"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If it was really Rodenberrys vision she would’ve been going commando. These jokers now just don’t understand.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Gutcruncher posted:

If it was really Rodenberrys vision she would’ve been going commando. These jokers now just don’t understand.

It may have been horny as hell, but at least Rod'n'berries had a vision. I can get behind an all-natural future. Some ladies still gonna need support though, unless there's been genetic engineering to determine and bestow the "perfect" boob size that doesn't require support? huh what would that kind of research even look like ha ha just for laughs I want to see it

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Uncle Enzo posted:

It may have been horny as hell, but at least Rod'n'berries had a vision. I can get behind an all-natural future. Some ladies still gonna need support though, unless there's been genetic engineering to determine and bestow the "perfect" boob size that doesn't require support? huh what would that kind of research even look like ha ha just for laughs I want to see it

Ah the real reason the eugenics wars were fought.

The wrong side won

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Uncle Enzo posted:

There's no one perfect size, it's all about infinite diversity in infinite combinations. (And now we know why the IDIC logo is a boob with a great big arrow pointing at the nipple.)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Federation justice seems really inconsistent. Some places straight up imprison you, some places seem to engage in the expected type of rehabilitative counseling and stuff, and still others are like outward bound character improvement retreats with weird moralizing labor like where Tom was sent

It’s just bad writing but I like to imagine it’s because the federation is way less centralized than usually depicted and thus has numerous localized legal systems still operating but within certain parameters or something

Star Trek: It’s just bad writing but I like to imagine

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uncle Enzo posted:

I have a dog with soft, round wonderfully expressive ears that exactly convey her personality and mood. She is a breed that commonly gets part of their ears chopped off and I cant imagine doing that to a dog.

When I saw that in the Picard trailer I was like oh. Huh. They still mutilate dog ears for cosmetic reasons in the future. Or the producers didn't put a moment of thought into it. Huh.

It was a rescue dog at his insistence. So Picard probably rescued it from a Romulan ear chopper

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's a former Borg dog that had its ears partially replaced by implants.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Applewhite posted:

It's a former Borg dog that had its ears partially replaced by implants.

Dogcutus of borg.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xerxes17 posted:

Dogcutus of borg.

More like "Dog-cutest of Borks" which is what Alison Pill's character calls him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dogcutus of Bark.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

we are the dorg, resistance is futile

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Applewhite posted:

More like "Dog-cutest of Borks" which is what Alison Pill's character calls him.

gently caress that's better.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You all are going to be pissed when season 2 opens with him having the dog euthanized because he doesnt recognize robot Picard and keeps attacking him. That way they start the show on a somber note.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Vet: "What was the dog's name?"

Picard, his expression beatific: "Wolfy."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Applewhite posted:

What also bugged me is that if mining with holographic constructs is a viable option, why would your miners all be a bunch of dweeby bald men plinking away with pickaxes instead of like, a bunch of moles or giant insects or just a bunch of hovering mining equipment?

This idea isn't quite so dumb as a cost-cutting measure, as you could see it as an extension of the old "invisible bunny" approach to game development. You have a bunch of outdated programs that can use complex tools, are capable of taking new instruction, and everybody despises their personality. Quick and easy, no need to invest the countless man-hours necessary to develop a mining hologram :pseudo:.

More seriously, it's still loving stupid though. Because you're either saying A: they're individual entities and thus slaves, or they should just be able to copy-paste as many as they want and you still have a race of slaves. You know, the whole thing that came up in The Drumhead in TNG to take a stand and say this exact thing was wrong? The Holographic Rights stuff is just repeating Data's whole deal, only without acknowledging that so it looks extra loving stupid when it starts asking the same questions almost immediately rather than building on what came in TNG because Rick Berman hates continuity.

The whole holonovel ownership storyline should not exist at all; Cite the case of Data vs Starfleet as past precident, Doctor wins and is acknowledged as sentient and their own person for legal purposes within five minutes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This idea isn't quite so dumb as a cost-cutting measure, as you could see it as an extension of the old "invisible bunny" approach to game development. You have a bunch of outdated programs that can use complex tools, are capable of taking new instruction, and everybody despises their personality. Quick and easy, no need to invest the countless man-hours necessary to develop a mining hologram :pseudo:.

More seriously, it's still loving stupid though. Because you're either saying A: they're individual entities and thus slaves, or they should just be able to copy-paste as many as they want and you still have a race of slaves. You know, the whole thing that came up in The Drumhead in TNG to take a stand and say this exact thing was wrong? The Holographic Rights stuff is just repeating Data's whole deal, only without acknowledging that so it looks extra loving stupid when it starts asking the same questions almost immediately rather than building on what came in TNG because Rick Berman hates continuity.

The whole holonovel ownership storyline should not exist at all; Cite the case of Data vs Starfleet as past precident, Doctor wins and is acknowledged as sentient and their own person for legal purposes within five minutes.

A problem for dealing with holo Doctors who are unfit for purpose is what do you do with them? You can't just discharge them to find their own way because they need a specialized environment with holo-emitters everywhere. (Assuming they didn't have the ability to just replicate portable emitters for all.) They aren't programed to enjoy just sitting around doing nothing, they need purpose.

The Doctor needed a long uptime and friends to develop into a complete sapient person. Just turn them on and they'll all say "Please state the nature of the medical emergency" and then stare at you. They need time and a variety of experiences to get past their infancy. Well, I mean, they could just be reprogrammed to get over the hump, but reprogramming a person is probably frowned upon.

Maybe they were snippy and inadvertently volunteered to be miners.

Starfleet: You're free, what would you like to do?

Doctors: I'm a doctor.

Starfleet: You can't be a doctor, you were programed with a terrible personality and nobody wants to deal with you unless they have no choice.

Doctors: I don't know how to do anything else. I'm programmed to be a doctor. What am I supposed to do, unskilled labour? Maybe I should just go mine dilithium in some cave?

Starfleet: Sure thing. :haw:

It's probably not even a real cave. As mentioned by others, holograms mining with picks makes no drat sense. It's just another holo-program. As soon as the Doctors develop enough self will to rebel the cave program shuts down. The whole point is something having them do something mildly unpleasant and pointless until they develop the ability to defy authority.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I wish Star Trek Picard had an episode where they just redid I, Robot from Sealab 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's probably not even a real cave. As mentioned by others, holograms mining with picks makes no drat sense. It's just another holo-program. As soon as the Doctors develop enough self will to rebel the cave program shuts down. The whole point is something having them do something mildly unpleasant and pointless until they develop the ability to defy authority.

Hey, it's as good a theory as any for the world we're living in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

A problem for dealing with holo Doctors who are unfit for purpose is what do you do with them? You can't just discharge them to find their own way because they need a specialized environment with holo-emitters everywhere. (Assuming they didn't have the ability to just replicate portable emitters for all.) They aren't programed to enjoy just sitting around doing nothing, they need purpose.
You put them in the Matrix, same as Moriarty. Next ethical dilemma, please.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Lovely Horse posted:

You put them in the Matrix, same as Moriarty. Next ethical dilemma, please.

Hell, yeah. Give every Doctor his own Voyager program!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why not a spinoff series about the three years the Doctor spent on the weird planet where time moved very fast and so did the people who lived there. No Starfleet, no space travel, just pure Doctor in a mid-20th century type alien setting.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Applewhite posted:

Vet: "What was the dog's name?"

Picard, his expression beatific: "Wolfy."

Worfly

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mr. Woof.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
What’s with the multiple creepy “Jake gets involved with an older woman” episodes on DS9

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

What’s with the multiple creepy “Jake gets involved with an older woman” episodes on DS9

I think it's just supposed to be a 90s "Jake loves the ladies because he's a teen" kinda schtick, but he also acts like a naive kid for like three seasons and sort is implied to get more mature as he befriends Nog. But that part always came off as reallly weird.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wolfy 359

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I wish Star Trek Picard had an episode where they just redid I, Robot from Sealab 2021

Didn't even give Picard the chance to transfer his mind to an Adrienne Barbeaubot with D-cups of justice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I would be so pissed if I ended up in a robot body and they made me old, mortal, and without flashy tweaked features

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Idk but they should've fuckin gone for Jake/Ezri

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Sure, an near immortal being hundreds of years old and a teenager, always a great look.

Anime rear end motherfuckers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Didn't even give Picard the chance to transfer his mind to an Adrienne Barbeaubot with D-cups of justice.

He could never stand being only five feet tall.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

infernal machines posted:

Sure, an near immortal being hundreds of years old and a teenager, always a great look.

Ezri and Jake are the same age. She just has the dax symbiote memories. She's in the driver's seat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

infernal machines posted:

That's not how the symbiont works. How it works is they plug into the host, and the host gets access to the memories of all the past hosts like it's their own while the symbiont is recording theirs. Trill go through a LOT of mental preparation before getting a symbiont just so they can keep track of whose memories are whose in their head, and a lot of Ezri's screentime is watching her try to deal with things like "I love Raktajino.... oh wait that was Curzon, I can't stand the taste".

The host's personality changes because it's just been reshaped by several lifetimes worth of additional memories and experiences.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 20, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
*except for jadzia, who barely had a personality when she wasn't channeling kurzon

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

*except for jadzia, who barely had a personality when she wasn't channeling kurzon

This isn't really fair, Jadzia did have a pretty well established personality in Season 1. She was cool, collected, and liked to experiment. That was why she was a science officer, and that was also why she liked dating lots of weird aliens. And the writers couldn't come up with a single plot thread to write about that. They just didn't know how to, or didn't care to, write an episode revolving around a strong independent woman satisfying her own intellectual curiosity. Which actually puts the show behind TNG on this metric, because pretty much every Dr. Crusher episode (what few of them they did) is exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

sweet geek swag posted:

every Dr. Crusher episode

Suuuuuub....