Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hangover thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

like, goddamn, do any of the Discovery or Picard characters have hobbies? have they ever been shown to play games (chess, space racquetball, fizzbin) with each other?

They're all hooked on that stupid VR game with the funnels, they just never show it onscreen

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Rise up from hate
Don't tempt fate
Learn to love
Then kiss the dove
Now we begin healing
End all the killing

God bless

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Edgy Trek would have been transgressive in the early 00s. But now everything is edgy. Don't do retrotrek again either, though. Do something new. Surprise me.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Have a glass of water
Think of your father
Eat a good snack
Take a long nap

Now you are ready to drink some more

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

oh but seriously I posted:

Edgy Trek would have been transgressive in the early 00s. But now everything is edgy. Don't do retrotrek again either, though. Do something new. Surprise me.

gay trek. For real this time !

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pick posted:

gay trek. For real this time !

DO IT YOU COWARDS

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Gay Dax solves crimes in the future. Millions of dollars sitting right there and all you have to do is pick them up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm still glad that they don't seem interested in anything from ds9 except section 31. i don't think i could handle a very special episode about a trip to bajor with the lesson of how colonialism is actually good. that one episode of picard made it very clear that's what the current writers actually believe.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Do they know what colonialism is?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

Do they know what colonialism is?

That’s when you found a colony on an uninhabited planet, right?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Its the Maquis *tiptoes out Grinchenly*

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol remember when internet snobs would be all "heh, now that we are in the ~*golden age of television*~, no longer shackled by the tyrannical constraints of old customs like making over 20 episodes a season or having to start shows in the fall, writers will have the time needed to artisanally craft the most elegant serial plot arcs ever seen :lofty:"

and then they just loving kept making poo poo up at the last minute like always, only now that they have so many fewer episodes they can't ever let the show slow down long enough to let the characters breathe and possibly accidentally charm the audience

Man, I learned that lesson with LOST. Have not gotten to ANY show with " oooh mystery" hooks because, more than likely, they are still just pulling poo poo out of their rear end

goddamnit, I am still made about LOST

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the old school writers were often no better than the schmucks we have now, but the difference is that they were writing star trek.

In documentaries the TNG writers complain about the no conflict utopianism so much and all the tricks they had to pull to sneak in conflict under the rules, trying to make the rules sound quixotic and pointless. But it always seems as though the creativity and attention to characterization came out via response to those constraints, especially since whatever original idea they mention lamenting being rejected sounds like dogshit cliche TV.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Breakfast All Day posted:

In documentaries the TNG writers complain about the no conflict utopianism so much and all the tricks they had to pull to sneak in conflict under the rules, trying to make the rules sound quixotic and pointless. But it always seems as though the creativity and attention to characterization came out via response to those constraints, especially since whatever original idea they mention lamenting being rejected sounds like dogshit cliche TV.

I hate the idea of censorship, but god drat if some of the best stuff from the 90s didn't come out due to creativity squeezed out from the pressure of censorship.

venomsnek
Apr 13, 2018

THE KING UTTERED SOMETHING

Johnny Aztec posted:

I hate the idea of censorship, but god drat if some of the best stuff from the 90s didn't come out due to creativity squeezed out from the pressure of censorship.

Breaking Bad and GoT made it so easy for shows to just go for the R rated shock value for plot hooks, I really hope this trend fizzles out soon.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I don’t know which dropped plot thread from tng is more infuriating, the gross bugs from Conspiracy or the progenitor aliens from The Chase. Probably gonna go with the latter

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Gonna be honest I didn't much care for the progenitor thing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah I don't really give a poo poo why there's so many bipedals running around the galaxy because it's a space opera and we're already not gunning for realism here.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Have not gotten to ANY show with " oooh mystery" hooks because, more than likely, they are still just pulling poo poo out of their rear end

This kind of cynicism really grinds my gears. There's tons of good mystery in 'prestige' tv! Take, for example, the spiral shape that the white walkers used in Game of Thrones that was built up over seasons and then

Um.

Oh.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The first season of Westworld was a perfect example of prestige mystery box tv done correctly.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Why not just have Raffi smoke weed. Why did it have to be space weed?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cause they go to space obv :rolleyes:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Kirk and McCoy at the space disco in their disco suits doing line after line of Andorian mind-snow

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mulaney Power Move posted:

because that would be a political statement and that requires you to not be a coward.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Because then the coalition of concerned christian moms would protest and boycot because the star traks is teaching kids to become criminal drug addicts.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

that picard poo poo sucked and he should be dead like the showrunner's talent. Raffi be dead too because i hate her

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

thanks again youtube recommends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJUt8k9zQ0o

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

infernal machines posted:

They're all hooked on that stupid VR game with the funnels, they just never show it onscreen

I always wanted to see footage from that episode with Pokemon Go edited in as the game when that craze was around

Facebook Aunt posted:

Because then the coalition of concerned christian moms would protest and boycot because the star traks is teaching kids to become criminal drug addicts.

They could have made her a holodeck addict since that was actually established in star trek. She's in the middle of the desert because she wanted to separate from society completely. Her home is a simple box because that's all it needs to be to function. She role plays as if she never lost her job because she can't cope with the failure of losing status in a society where prestige is the only currency.

A simple adjustment like that would maintained what they wanted to do with her character while also fitting in with the canon.

Lister fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 5, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Re-watching Transformers Prime and I never noticed Kurtzman was involved on it.

I can't help but think the rest of the team made the show loving excellent in spite of him.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the old school writers were often no better than the schmucks we have now, but the difference is that they were writing star trek.

Picard is a better Star Wars installment then all real Star Wars installments since Return of the Jedi.

However, just like the newer SW films, Picard is just a collection of nostalgia crammed onto screen with no storyline. It's like my TV grew arms, jumped off the wall and started shaking me by the collar screaming "HOLY gently caress DO YOU REMEMBER SEVEN OF NINE AND DEM TITTAYS FROM WHEN YOU WERE 15?!?!?!"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lister posted:

They could have made her a holodeck addict since that was actually established in star trek. She's in the middle of the desert because she wanted to separate from society completely. Her home is a simple box because that's all it needs to be to function. She role plays as if she never lost her job because she can't cope with the failure of losing status in a society where prestige is the only currency.

A simple adjustment like that would maintained what they wanted to do with her character while also fitting in with the canon.

See goddamnit this is what I'm talking about! This is great but some knucke-dragging UCLA grad decided "hurr durr brown people smoke weed so space weed!" is the appropriate way to go.

Can we abolish cops AND Hollywood this year?

venomsnek
Apr 13, 2018

THE KING UTTERED SOMETHING

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

that picard poo poo sucked and he should be dead like the showrunner's talent. Raffi be dead too because i hate her

She didn’t even sing Banana Phone

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lister posted:

I always wanted to see footage from that episode with Pokemon Go edited in as the game when that craze was around

Holy poo poo that would have been incredible. Like, her intro scene could have been her in command of a starship during a tense situation. To the audience it appears like a real situation until there’s a knocking sound and the screen door swings open onto the bridge.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Applewhite posted:

Holy poo poo that would have been incredible. Like, her intro scene could have been her in command of a starship during a tense situation. To the audience it appears like a real situation until there’s a knocking sound and the screen door swings open onto the bridge.

yeah that was a pretty sick moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6tWmSckE40

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Exactly, I'm just writing fan fiction here, but when I imagined it, Raffi would be introduced with Picard visiting her in her ready room on the ship she's in command of. Raffi is in good spirits and talks about how Picard is lucky he caught her just as she's docking at Earth because she's got another mission to go out to soon. Picard stifles frustration and explains he needs a ship from her. She's called to the bridge and it's because a klingons/cardassians/ferangi battlefleet is making a surprise attack on Earth. Raffi calls for red alert and starts spouting cliches like "Evasive sequence delta! Fire photon torpedoes!" When the ship is hit, she and the bridge crew jostle with the camera shake while Picard stands still. He gets to his limit and says "Computer freeze program" then Raffi's attitude completely shifts and they start having the same argument as they did in the show. They walk outside and you see her home is entirely a holodeck.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The thing is they have 1,000 producers and all of them are cowards who will never make anything good

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lister posted:

Exactly, I'm just writing fan fiction here, but when I imagined it, Raffi would be introduced with Picard visiting her in her ready room on the ship she's in command of. Raffi is in good spirits and talks about how Picard is lucky he caught her just as she's docking at Earth because she's got another mission to go out to soon. Picard stifles frustration and explains he needs a ship from her. She's called to the bridge and it's because a klingons/cardassians/ferangi battlefleet is making a surprise attack on Earth. Raffi calls for red alert and starts spouting cliches like "Evasive sequence delta! Fire photon torpedoes!" When the ship is hit, she and the bridge crew jostle with the camera shake while Picard stands still. He gets to his limit and says "Computer freeze program" then Raffi's attitude completely shifts and they start having the same argument as they did in the show. They walk outside and you see her home is entirely a holodeck.

This ALONE would have raised my opinion of the show by like, several universal respect units.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

oh but seriously I posted:

The thing is they have 1,000 producers and all of them are cowards who will never make anything good

it's extremely telling that any random person posting in these threads can spend 30 seconds of thought time and come up with more compelling poo poo than the highly paid professional writers and producers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Tighclops posted:

it's extremely telling that any random person posting in these threads can spend 30 seconds of thought time and come up with more compelling poo poo than the highly paid professional writers and producers

But can that same basement nerd, when dropped into the TV production machine, stand their ground against the army of studio executives who won't stop loving with things because "According to focus groups it won't sell in the midwest market" or a bunch of corporations just paid 20 million ad bucks to the studio so now you have to graft in a scene with your characters riding around in a Dodge Ram explicitly commenting on how great it is and how easy it was to pair their tricorder Apple iTunes app with it.