Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Loathe as I am to defend Into Darkness, Quinto's Spock is at the very least a guy who's explicitly stated as letting his emotions rule his character more than standard in the wake of multiple tragedies OG Spock never had to endure, so Kirk dying on top of that would definitely cause him to just loving snap and try to murder Khan out of revenge. And the part where Khan no sells a Vulcan neck pinch is legit a great "OH poo poo!" moment.

It's just a terrible shame about, you know, the other entire runtime of Star Trek: Into Darkness.

"WE NEED KHANS BLOOD!", McCoy screams, while tending over 72 other equally-enhanced people already at-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

nine-gear crow posted:

lol @ casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan when Dev Patel was right loving there the whole time and even he's the lazy choice out of literally every other English-speaking Indian male actor on the planet.

Was Dev Patel even a legal adult at that point?

Could have gone with one of his Airbender co-stars, Asif Mandvi.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tighclops posted:

I like how they came up with the neck pinch in TOS because they thought having Spock jump around and wailing on dudes would look dumb and weird and they were right

Dog thats Amok Time lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Spock just wailing on guys rules

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Was Dev Patel even a legal adult at that point?

Could have gone with one of his Airbender co-stars, Asif Mandvi.

Patel would have been 21 in 2012 when they were filming Into Darkness. For reference, he was filming The Newsroom for HBO and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel around this time. So he would have been about 10-ish years younger than Pine and co, but probably easily able to still play against them. It's funny though, I thought Patel was in his 40s and was just able to play young characters, but lol no dude's only 33.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rodney Dangerfield as Khan

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gatts posted:

I do not like the JJ Abram’s films outside of the cast. The cast is good,

Truth.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I swear I can't get over how big of a self important wiener Eddington is.

"Oh you're just so obsessed with me Benjamin!"

"... suuuuure. Anyway can we stop this silly poo poo and you stop attempting genocide?"

"You would just love to defeat me wouldn't you Valjean!?"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Eddington is like a space sovereign citizen.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If Into Darkness was made today, Timothy Chalamet would be Khan.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

counterfeitsaint posted:

If people in a Federation court have yellow uniforms, you're being tried under admiralty law.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

“The Magna Carta clearly states this distant planet is rightfully mine by common law!”

[Sisko enables a tractor beam]

“You are impeding my travel! I am a free traveler! I am traveling!”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

lol @ casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan when Dev Patel was right loving there the whole time and even he's the lazy choice out of literally every other English-speaking Indian male actor on the planet.

Cumberbatch was a pretty last minute substitute after Benicio del Toro bowed out. I guess del Toro would've been following Montalban and establishing that Khan's ethnic appearance actually was latino.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 29, 2024

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Why Romulans got the Lawnmower Man rear end rig on their ship in this episode of Enterprise

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Javier Bardem Khan when

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I want to hear Worf complaining about videogames. Like him making excuses when he dies and blaming thr game

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's literally set up in the first movie that Spock struggles with his emotions, anger especially. Not like it came out of nowhere, especially when he does it to Kirk after his race got genocided and Kirk intentionally goads him. This time he thinks he's lost his best friend
There was no reason in JJtrek why Kirk and Spock would have become friends; they hated each other. Having Prime Spock say "you and I were besties in a timeline that will never exist for you" wouldn't have flipped that.

Also, Prime Spock should logically have gone "my timeline has diverged from this one in a major way with the destruction of Vulcan, so there is no reason not to use my knowledge of future events to protect the Federation and save potentially billions of other lives."

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean…the obvious choice would have been Shahrukh Khan. He is a sexy, sexy man like Montalban was and has major gravitas.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I love when Weyoun puts on the stern daddy voice.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

TheKingslayer posted:

I love when Weyoun puts on the stern daddy voice.

Oh yeah, when he switches from sweet and cloying Weyoun to "Do it".

One of my favorite moments in DS9 is when Worf snaps his neck and Damar just laughs and laughs and laughs. Real belly buster.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

I mean…the obvious choice would have been Shahrukh Khan. He is a sexy, sexy man like Montalban was and has major gravitas.

Oh hell yeah I change my vote

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Shaka Khan

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Apollodorus posted:

Literally born to be Khan.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

redshirt posted:

Oh yeah, when he switches from sweet and cloying Weyoun to "Do it".

One of my favorite moments in DS9 is when Worf snaps his neck and Damar just laughs and laughs and laughs. Real belly buster.
"Well, helloooooooooo! :haw: " later on is even funnier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Small Strange Bird posted:

"Well, helloooooooooo! :haw: " later on is even funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea1AJKnPVO8

Maybe you should go ask Worf again!

naem
May 29, 2011

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Damar owns. “I miss him deeply. Let’s drink!”

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TuxedoOrca posted:

If people in a Federation court have yellow uniforms, you're being tried under admiralty law.

Serious note: it always kind of bugged me that the judge who sent Dr. Bashir's dad to prison was a Starfleet admiral. Why is a lifelong civilian being tried in a military court?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Damar owns. “I miss him deeply. Let’s drink!”

There's only one Damar!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

There's only one Damar!

:hmmyes: you’re god drat right

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's hard to believe that the epitome of genetic engineered supermen would be a lanky british guy with a weird face.

Dont forget that research colony that gave Polaski the super aging virus. The one where their premise was " what if Khan was also psychic." Then by accident their test subjects just happen to have immune systems that passively convert normal viruses into deadly bioweapons. How the gently caress were they allowed to go about their business when Bashirs parents go to jail for getting the deluxe package for their special needs kid?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I want to hear Worf complaining about videogames. Like him making excuses when he dies and blaming thr game

Blue Shells are without honor

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Powered Descent posted:

Serious note: it always kind of bugged me that the judge who sent Dr. Bashir's dad to prison was a Starfleet admiral. Why is a lifelong civilian being tried in a military court?

It's a complex legal mess that started with Bashir being at-fault and being in hot water for lying about being genetically engineered when he joined Starfleet, and you could handwave to assume they've pulled some strings so his Dad'll stand trial in a civilian court and get a lenient sentence.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Powered Descent posted:

It's bugged me since "Measure of a Man" showed that the Starfleet justice system can make rulings on personhood. That's something that would probably end up at the highest court in the quadrant and take years to sort out.

I guess in this situation with the Bashirs it was some kind of handshake agreement between Starfleet and the Sector Attorney or whatever that Julian wouldn't be prosecuted if his Dad pleaded guilty, and the Admiral is just delivering the news.

Edit: drat, Admiral Bennett isn't just some JAG Officer, he's the JAG. Sisko must really have some pull at HQ if he can get that guy overnight.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 29, 2024

naem
May 29, 2011

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

This is cool, but like… why?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah like why?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

but like… why?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah like why?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This is cool, but like… why?

Why? This is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem