Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just watched the TNG where Geordie and Ro Laren get stuck out of phase and I thought, you know how hard it is to get all your accounts reactivated when you come back to work after extended leave? Imagine that but from being dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

And also as head of security the whole process is handled by Worf
Imagine the paperwork involved in reactivating someone's rights to eject the warp core.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

Johnson, his anus wide

Tamarian/English phrasebook posted:

The meeting of an old friend

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Tuvix is the trolley problem for nerds

e;: well, even nerdier nerds

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 27, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I get a kick out of how this show would take any and all excuses to play dressup.
Pretty sure like the "technobabble" placeholder there's a section "Borrow costumes from next door and base some holodeck stuff around it"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FlamingLiberal posted:

the Bajorans as the Space Israelis
Oof. Eh. Hmm. No.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Enterprise D had "1000 - 6000" occupants, and one ship's councillor. Assuming 1000 occupants, eight timeslots a day, and no time off, you're looking at one appointment every 3 months. Given the amount of time spent Deanna spent on the bridge or on away teams or doing the entire ship's crew evaluations (?) that's probably wildly optimistic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
No wonder Barclay's a wreck tbh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gatts posted:

Sometimes I wonder what poo poo the other ships got up to. Like at one point is it just the Enterprise that has this wierd poo poo happen to them all the time because they're explorers or what about the strange tales of random other ships. Like do we hear Picard or Sisko or anyone ever go "Hey did you hear the Crazyhorse crew got imprisoned on a planet of strippers where they turned out to be all turnips from the 5th dimension?"

Or from the other side Captain Jellico going "Jesus just what the gently caress is going on that ship? I need to be it's Captain and fix all those messes."
I think it's more that the Enterprise tends to survive their weird poo poo. Sure they find a lot of turnip strippers, but there's a bunch of episodes where the Enterprise shows up halfway through whatever turnip stripper incident some other ship kicked off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Basically the Star Trek universe is Weird, and the Enterprise seems especially weird but actually it's just survivor bias.

Maybe that's the problem. People keep sticking The Best of The Best of The Best on the Enterprise and they only leave when they die, so every other ship gets murdered by space dragons because everyone who could have saved them are busy scrubbing cooling ducts and waiting for Geordie to finally bite it for real this time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What drink is tuvix

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oh but seriously I posted:

Neelix is a 40 year old Cab-Sauv paired with veal.
:stonklol:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Applewhite posted:

Wasn’t there a woman who imprinted on him and became his perfect mate but she was in an arranged marriage?

Does she count?
In which the living embodiment of telling men what they want to hear ends the episode by telling a man exactly what he wants to hear, and we're supposed to take that at face value.

My favourite part of that episode is that the guy she's marrying is all "I'm not really into the creepy sex empath thing I'm just here for the politics" which is kind of exactly who you'd want her to end up with anyway?

No wait my favourite part is where because she can't be around men so they lock her up all alone in her quarters instead of e.g. sending pointedly heterosexual Dr Crusher by with a bottle of wine and some true crime box sets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When Crusher's trill boyfriend came back as a woman and she declined to further pursue that relationship, she said it wasn't because she was a woman
She's absolutely hype for her slug bud to get a new body until the body walks in without a dong and her face falls four floors. That episode is why I'm referring to her as "pointedly heterosexual". Whatever back pedalling occurs in the final scene it's pretty clear from the previous bit what her actual problem is.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just watched the episode with the girl who turned out to be a Q. And then remembered the Voyager episode where they make a big deal of the first new Q born in infinity forever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, it introduces an interesting moral question - "when, if ever, is lethal force justified" - and it highlights a somewhat terrifying aspect of Data's character, namely that he's perfectly capable of becoming a killing machine based on cold logic alone. Those alone make for good sci-fi. But while it's a good exploration of an android character in sci-fi, it's a bit out of character for Data specifically, and arriving at the conclusion that "sometimes killing is the only way" is also somewhat off-message for (classic) Star Trek. And the episode doesn't really get close enough to that central moral question to justify that slight deviation, in my opinion. I'd have expected Data to escape with some ingenuity, but they made the villain out to be a little too capable at every turn.

("Computer, create a holodeck scenario with an opponent that can defeat Data", and it's just the collector guy again.)
Think of it as the exception that proves the rule. Every time Data (and by extension the writers) don't kill someone, knowing the that option is on the table makes not having chosen that option hold even more weight.

Also "Killing is only justified for the idle rich" is a very Star Trek message.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh, I live in the sky, on a station in space,
Where Cardassians used to roam.
It was called Terok Nor,
But it's not anymore,
It's confusing, but hey, it's home.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one of the great failures of ds9 is that we never got to see a hunky shirtless cardassian.
Spoon nipples. They secretly laugh when people call them spoon heads because they're all ha, you have no idea

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This switch dishonorably kills my enemies, but only sometimes, and after a small delay.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

McSpanky posted:

What kind of idiots decide to park themselves right up on the border of a hostile power and then get pissed when the border shifts during/after a war?
Please do not dox my stellaris runs

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RaySmuckles posted:

so i can clearly see where the male inserts their member, but boy things aren't looking too promising for the ladies with that thing
It's for external use. The buttons on the headband controls the vibration.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Wow when you say it that way... Groundbreaking indeed then. Hey, 'first interracial kiss on tv' is also trek. That means intricacies of 'cultural landscape' can take a rewatch on a whole new level. Definitely a thing I would love to do
Seriouspost: was watching TOS a while ago and there was a black crew member and a white crew member doing some generic ship stuff in a very "hi we're two good pals doing our job" kind of way and it suddenly struck me that this was the 60s, you don't just happen to have a black guy and a white guy interacting as equals, a bunch of people deliberately went out of their way to set up a non-plot-relevant slice of life scene of a white guy and a black guy just getting along in the future.

I experienced emotions

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 1, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Drawing Garak is all about the expression. Everything else is details

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A White Guy posted:

Neelix chimes in with his personal jizz elixir and comes off like someone's creepy uncle.
I refuse to be the only one with this image in their head

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe it's a metaphor for 'smart' kids who can get good grades with little effort, it just comes easy to them. Until it doesn't. And then things can go terribly wrong.

In councilor school she never had to guess what anyone was feeling AND always knew when anyone was lying to her, so she was able to coast along. She never really had to learn the skills to be good at reading body language and microexpressions. So when her crutch is taken away she's awful at basic human empathy.
My take on this is that betazoids don't read body language or tone of voice or what have you at all, or at best only vestigially. It's not something their species ever needed to develop. Reading microexpressions is a weird alien superpower on the same level as infra vision or echolocation. As far as Troi is concerned the bad guy of the week screaming I WILL END YOU two feet from the camera is actually a poker faced master of duplicity, which is why it's vital that she tell the captain that she "senses hostility" from the guy actively firing torpedoes at them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still think there's a neat story in a world where nobody is able to read facial expressions but everyone still has them, and how people react when they find out there actually are some people who are able to read facial expressions.
For a brief intro, Google "deaf kids learn about farts"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arcsquad12 posted:

Cochrane founded Risa???
Heh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Foreskin Problems posted:

Couldn't he just goo himself over an opponent's head and suffocate them
Or ant man it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I basically dont like the lower decks implication that starfleet academy is just space hamburger university, as in it’s a total joke because your real job will consist of shovelling poo poo. in other treks we see that cadets do have problems but their problems are that they have sticks up their asses and want to do things by the book, or theyre overconfident and smug because they’re at an elite training facility. Your starfleet job will not consist of shovelling poo poo and being treated like a moron because this is a world in which unpleasant, pointless activities have been automated so the only reason a cadet would have to do that is out of spite. There IS something wrong with the premise of cadets doing grunt work (and being hated for it). The premise is a reflection of how stupid, pointless, idiotic, spiteful and degrading jobs are today, and this trek says hey, it will be like this forever, gently caress you
You could definitely work with a premise that there's grunt work. Someone has to load all those barrels up to fall on Worf, automation doesn't seem to be a thing, and Geordie has better things to do. But making jokes about that requires effort while "cleaning the holodeck filters" is easy and lazy. And easy and lazy is fine in a parody but if it's actual star trek produced star trek the answer is noone cleans them!

It gets disintegrated and stored as raw material for the replicator. Everything you eat is 1% riker cum. Earl grey tea, hot :pervert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

They move barrels with the hoverboard thing though so even that isn’t equivalent to hard warehouse work or anything. It’s probably done in 20 minutes and your senior officer is like good job ensign, now help me reconfigure the space doodad which is what you’re actually trained to do. And since senior officers are constantly letting random invasive space goos loose throughout the ship and other such massive gently caress ups, it doesn’t really make sense that people would get mad at ensigns for doing the same thing. I just don’t like people in trek being mean to each other and trying to deceive each other!! Trek is a beautiful dream of a workplace where nobody judges you, people help each other out in the spirit of intellectual curiosity, and your boss cares about you.
I think the guy with the hover loader in the Worf video would be interesting to see a day in the life of. He seems like he's in a bad mood, or maybe just nervous around the big names. He sounds so subdued when he spots the mystery gas spraying everywhere and then his hover thing fucks up and he has to whoosh everything back on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're clearly trying to rip off Archer without understanding why the characters can get away with this poo poo; At a base level they're all competent at their jobs and (generally) understand there's a limit to how far they can push eachother or what can be made fun of. This is just diving head-first into "lol random Star Trek bit".
The characters got away with poo poo because everyone with authority over them was as bad or worse, or couldn't do any better, or were badly misinformed about their competence, or nepotism. And they end up out of business because they gently caress up too much. So they don't actually get away with poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vim Fuego posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

The tng enterprise has hundreds of thousands of square feet of just empty deck space, but that's actually a good thing because of how often giant holes get blown outta the hull. If it were densely populated every episode would be a mass casualty event
If you're living there 24/7/52 then a population density of 1,200 per square metre seems not unreasonable

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
By that logic we are all Robert Beltran

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Which is the more cowardly: surrendering when you've lost, or never trying in the first place?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Watching episode 2 of DS9, they just grew a dude and then dumped him out into Bajoran society.

What.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
sex candle, haunted, hot

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

He spent a lot of hours in that transporter room but I swear it had like closets and side chambers and stuff where he could do whatever projects he wanted. There's the one DS9 episode where Keiko comes home and he's turned their bedroom into his private workshop. O Brien was probably doing all that poo poo happy as a clam off to the side when he wasn't called on to transport anybody.

I swear the side chambers of the transporter room are confirmed either on screen or in dialogue in TNG. I can't remember what episode.
It's a transporter room. He could have built the workshop somewhere else and just beamed it back and forth as needed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm going to pretend I'm a character but constantly advocate for the craziest poo poo to happen
Crewmember, exhausted, sticky: Computer, end program
You, naked, unexpectedly still present: I uh... Data made me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Mrs Splicer halfway through Garak's first scene: "Is he hitting on him?"
Me: "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

e: I mean there's the official answer, and there's the truth

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

shovelbum posted:

Ok so remember that Kirk found several planets just like Earth including one that was literally identical to Earth (Miri's planet). So if a bunch of hadrosaurs show up how do you even know what Earth they come from? Are there Miri's Voth out there somewhere? Rome planet Voth?
The ancient aliens that jizzed everywhere are why there's mammals, specifically humans, everywhere. Earth's dinosaur eras are an anomaly, the asteroid that wiped them out was part of an automated system to prevent non-human-compatible gentials reaching dominance anywhere.