Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RVWinkle posted:

I was thinking about the Prophets a while back and came to the conclusion that they are the ultimate evil in the universe. They manipulated Sisko's dad to make Benjamin and then manipulated events so he would end up on Bajor. This leads me to conclude that they caused the massacre at Wolf 359 to kill Ben's wife so he would be reassigned. They influenced the Cardassians so they would occupy Bajor leading the federation to eventually occupy Deep Space 9. The Prophets are literally responsible for decades of genocide and massacres.

Dukat did nothing wrong.

That means they were probably working with or manipulating Q tho, to cause Wolf 359.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Holo clothes are a solid force field and when you fart you have to feel it travel up your back to your neck hole so you don't feel sexy and that's the whole point of the holodeck.

Assless force fields were deleted from the timeline in the Temporal Cold War.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
No wonder the Vulcans didn't want us running all over, they'd seen all the 29th century humans meddling in poo poo recently.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Between that and the events of First Contact the Vulcans must have thought we were like the weird time war aliens like the Krenim of the Alpha Quadrant.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Computer make L'waxana but with Deanna's hooters.

Quark's face on Ezri's body or die trying

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

the most egregious misuse of a great actor (idris elba) i've ever seen, who was literally motivated by a cartoonish hatred for friendship and unity. like he would have beaten up the burger king kids club or captain planet.

Man Captain Planet had a solid suite of powers that the average Trek villain has no answer to, plus he's super reckless. Here kid, have this flamethrower. Hey you, mind control ring. Etc.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I haven't looked at the timeline of everything but at any point where was Janeway aware of the carnage of the Dominion War did she pass up on a chance to intervene in it?

I mean future finale Janeway arguably but she presumably felt crippling the Borg was more important overall.

Also I bet they felt like idiots when she showed up "I could've been breaking the temporal prime directive all this time out here?!?"

I mean we've seen several instances where time cops or spies or whatever intervened in time travel in Voyager or Enterprise, why did they let the Krenim run wild anyway? How policed actually is the timestream by Future Cops?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hymirvetr posted:

I feel like if Janeway intervened in the dominion war, there would be a 200% increase of genocide and death

Sometimes she has to get a little rough.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Moddington posted:

For everyone but cardassians. And he got the idea from the Maquis poisoning a cardassian colony planet with something humans are immune to.

Hit all the disputed worlds with both chemicals then give them to the Pakleds

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Just looked this episode up and in a rare instance of continuity the cure actually comes from that Vidiian doctor from another episode.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I would say that their relationship is not only poorly written, but that the entire Ocampa species is poorly written in the extreme. I don't know or care how it all works with them, and I suspect I share my apathy with the people who conceived of the species in the first place.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, even Mass Effect had it down to a science. "Here's a manual on how to bone Thrall/Quarians/Turians. Don't do this, don't insert that there, and most definitely don't swallow".

Haha which game was this in

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Once the nose falls off the fourth hole is revealed, like a boss transformation

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oberleutnant posted:

Why was odo a loving cop on DS9 instead of in a cardassian research station getting experimented on anyway? Did they just turn up and he was there and they're like "eh..... he's literally the perfect spy and a completely unique lifeform unknown anywhere else in the galaxy, and nobody has any knowledge of or defences against a shapeshifter..... make him the mall cop on this small outpost I guess..... maybe get him a segway so he can catch shoplifters better"

The Alpha Quadrant was home to numerous races of shapeshifter, one unique one is a curiosity but hardly a prize.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Shapeshifter

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wesley's the kind of retard hyper-millennial who would wear an Indian headdress to a music festival

If Hitler won would people be wearing Jewish stuff to music festivals?!?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lol what episode is this

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just got to TOS season 2 in my rewatch and everything about Chekov is loving Terrible.

Fuckin psi corps snitch

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They're always running into aliens that can alter memories. Why hasn't one of those species made bank erasing those virtual prison terms yet?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They had entire shifts of qualified helmsmen forced to give up getting to fly the Starfleet Flagship because Picard wanted to give some kid a turn for a couple of hours.

If they wanted a character like that they could've just made him a cadet from the start, who got awkwardly assigned to his mom's ship. I knew a guy in the merchant marine who got assigned as an engineering cadet to a ship where his dad was chief engineer, hilarity presumably ensued.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wish that the speed limit had been kept as a major concept and there had been space truckers trying to skirt the law with their space CBs.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

If they had Data with them, they could have left his head in a cave.

They presumably had the Enterprise logs of that incident and knew the location could be used as a time capsule, they could have taped a note to Data's head.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

I like jadzia dax. I hate the episodes that focus around Trill society, but if it's Jadzia running into Kurzon's old affairs or something, those are good episodes and her character shines there.

Trill society is like an entire society based around some horrible academic admissions process + the worst grad program possible, literally hell

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh wow somehow I've missed this ds9 with Ezri's mom, this is a treat after seeing most of them several times.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thought this was a Dax episode and here's O'Brien walking in suffering.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I forgot all these s7 Dax eps, Ezri is pretty cool.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Phylosians are a dying race... :(

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I'd ship em

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

How come Voyager didn't just fly to the wormhole

It was almost as far away as Earth iirc. Like they were in a far corner of Delta and it's in the opposite corner of Gamma.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What does he do now does he have Hella Trek Money like some of the TNG guys and just chill or?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
All the black stuff he managed to cram into the show makes it look really prescient at this renewed moment of race tensions I caught the moment where Sisko didn't want to hang out in old tyme Vegas and thought it was cool

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

All the "black stuff" was also a great way to smoke out racists too, who would inevitably whine and complain about it.

Yeah it's sweet it's a good first question to ask after someone says they don't like DS9 I didn't really clue into it as much on my first view of the series as a kid but it seems like one of those like whoa ahead of its time moments in tyool 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Was that all him or was it part of the general breaking down the Utopian stuff actually?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I'm mixed race and holy poo poo, the episode about BLT being split into two people is poo poo.

I just started rewatching the series and holy poo poo, that's the worst episode so far.

Doesn't she have like a savage half and lame rear end half

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A strong angry Klingon and a pitiful cowardly human woman. If they really had to go down this road, the funnier/more interesting way would've had it turn out with the Klingon version being calm and measured while the Human version was the angry and violent one.

Well Voyager on race vs. DS9 on race I guess

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Better than Planet Canada SG-1 and Battlestar style.

edit I mean anytime they're on Caprica you expect to see Stargate filming in the background.

edit 2 what if there were a planet that instead of the chicago mobs book or a future nazi cosplayer got contaminated by freakin original series and had like cowboys fighting nazis in the street

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 13, 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can't stop seeing Jason Alexander lurking there

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Grad School Planet

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No pew pew pew, contains very much Vic Fontaine who dumbasses don't like.

I think they overdid the whole Vic thing honestly

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought he sucked for a while but he's a hologram who understands he's a hologram, can turn himself off and on, and doesn't have any existential crises. He's just doing his own thing trying to help people out and not being a selfish poo poo or Moriartying.

This is cool and all but most (not all) Vic stuff just seems like a waste of precious time so late in a heavily serialized wartime drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I see the problem. You're thinking of Ezri.

Prodigal Daughter and Field of Fire were good classic Trek episodes that had like an original series flavor almost, but yeah maybe not time optimal either. Ezri is a good take on the Trill stuff and I can't hate her episodes though - she had the kinda misfit vibe like Spock and worked better all in all than Jadzia imo.