Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I might also suggest that ‘60’s lounge singer’ is a trope easily recognisable to viewers of most age groups and more importantly really, really cheap to set and costume compared to the shows other story-strand ‘massive galactic war’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
DS9 has the strongest first season of any incarnation of Trek, and it’s not even close. Pretty much everything in it is useful to the development of the entire series.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lister posted:

Now I'm wondering who had the very first gun arm in pop culture

James Woods in Videodrome?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Scientist posted:

So I missed some details along the way watching TNG and DS9. Why is the Borg no longer much of a threat by the time the events of DS9 season 3 start? Is it because of what happens in First Contact?

You know in how in fight scenes the hero is surrounded and everyone takes it in turns to attack him.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“Old guy magically makes a massive deus ex machina fleet appear from nowhere to win the day. Star-something, Wars, Trek, who gives a gently caress. Yeah, of course the check cleared. Wait, they both paid me?”

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Admiralty Flag posted:

Didn't stop Riverside, IA from declaring that they were definitely the town that Kirk was from. Will have been from. Willn't ont should be fro. Would be from were he to exist in the future. Whatever.

Wioll haven be.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
With the cunning use of flags, according to Eddie Izzard

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Frog Act posted:

I loving hate vic fontaine and I have to skip every scene he's in because he just sucks so much

He’d certainly worn thin with me by the end of the show’s run. If they’d distilled him into two or three episodes like TNG Moriarty I’d have much fonder recollections of him.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“Forced to endure Risa”.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bogus Adventure posted:

Discovery wasting Jason Isaacs is probably what I hate the most about that show.

They didn’t really waste him, he’s pretty much the only reason I watched the first season so mission accomplished I guess?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The only episode of Disco that seemed like Trek to me is New Eden, S2 Ep 2. You could put it almost unchanged into any previous series and no one would at an eye.

Not saying it’d be held up as a classic, but it’s recognisable as Trek.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Blistex posted:

Going to the Mass Effect Wiki page now. I have not played it and am not familiar with the plot, but I've heard this enough that I should probably check it out.

If you enjoy it, maybe read Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds, which has a similar plot but came out seven years before Mass Effect.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Is it similar enough that we should be saying "Picard ripped off a Reynolds novel" instead?

I was being a little flip, the plot isn’t that similar apart from ancient race of hyper beings come back every billion years to destroy things past a certain technological limit.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Drink-Mix Man posted:

That's not what happened at all. First his plan was to make his crew futily fight to the death to save the Enterprise out of pride and spite. After the Ahab stuff he concedes to do the sensible thing and blow up the ship after evacuating it.

I mean of course he's gotta destroy the Borg one way or another, there was no other option

This is correct. The issue is that he’s dragging the ship and crew to their doom with his blind vengeance schtick, like Ahab. He doesn’t, three hundred years in the past, minutes away from the destruction of humanity and the federation, have the time or resources to deprogram the Borg threat and be nice to them, even if he wanted to.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Worf thinks he is a badass warrior but he had to have been self taught with no actual Klingon Warriors to fight for real

Adult Worf watching Wrestlemania 3 and taking serious notes on how to fight while watching Hulk Hogan slam Andre the Giant

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND GO TO THE HOLODECK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME JEM’HADAR BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY FOUGHT THE ELITE SOLDIERS OF THE DOMINION . I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN TEN FORWARD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN STARFLEET CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY QUARTERS LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

well why not posted:

I like TNG / DS9 but don’t know what the deal is with Picard. What’s the problem with it? For the record I think DISCO is good enough.

Imagine you spent years making a diorama with lots of hand painted soldiers on it. It not perfect, but you even like its flaws, it still gives you joy. Your wife lets your two five-year old nephews play with it, and they smash all the figures together to make them fight. Years later you remind them of this, and they can’t even remember it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

GolfHole posted:

whats in all the storage lockers

Live high-voltage cables waving around, waiting for their chance to spring into action when shields hit 37%.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Danaru posted:

Klingons do NOT plop.

That they have mastered the three shells is known.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
According to Picard, people still crop dog ears in the future, so we can’t really trust them with anything.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He’s always standing and loves prune juice: the answer is haemorrhoids.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Drone posted:

garth ferenghi's darkspace

You’ve been hanging on to that one for a while.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Communist Walrus posted:

Maybe they stopped doing the saucer separation because the Enterprise D is already kind of dumb looking and it looks even dumber when it's just the lower half farting about

Quoting from memory, Phil Farrand said ‘Its headless-chicken appearance is unlikely to strike terror into its enemies’.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also I tried to re-watch TNG and bounced off Encounter At Farpoint so hard, and yet the second I tried with ‘Emissary’ I was like oh yeah, this is the stuff right here. I guess I’m on a DS9 kick for the next month.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's been actual decades since I've read Phil Farrand's pedantic books but I distincly remember him extrapolating that Riker's love interest must have a penis and going on about how he didn't have him down as someone interested in, I believe the phrase was "flat-chested boys".

I always thought the little paragraph at the front of every book dedicating his soul to the inconceivable power of JESUS the saviour through whom ALL things are made POSSIBLE explained these infrequent mis-steps.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kibayasu posted:

Avery Brooks never seemed that interested in doing Star Trek stuff outside of doing his job on Star Trek, whether that was conventions, interviews, or what have you. In the few convention videos you can find he looks incredibly uninterested to be there.

Isn’t he a professor at Rutgers or something?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hmm is that the guy that produced ‘Comin’ Home In A Body Bag’?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ugh, I’m nominating ‘Paradise’ as the least satisfying episode of DS9. No one behaves in a normal way, or says things a normal person would say. Thoroughly unsatisfying. Also, I’ll never understand the Star Trek obsession with periodically making episodes where simple peasant bullshit is held up as humanity’s finest hour. I’m watching this show for an enlightened future, not watching people in homespun robes drinking out of brown pots.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Endless Trash posted:

For a second I was agreeing with you because I got “Paradise” confused with “Let He Who Is Without Sin...”

Now THAT is a completely unsatisfying episode, chock full of characters behaving like absolute psychos.

I missed this one first time round, because I lived in a stoner house in the mid nineties, and people would frequently be too stoned to operate a vcr. Prior to this rewatch I would have nominated either Paradise or The Storyteller, but the latter was just a bit twee and dumb, rather than actively hateable.

Also harking back to the nineties, these shows are far more palatable when you’re binging them: having to wait a week to see something comprised of latinum-pressed suck really tried my patience back then. Instantly being able to watch anything you want is about the only thing we have in common with the Federation at the moment.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hold on now I remember The Barge Of The Dead episode or whatever it’s called: do Klingons canonically have life after death? And if so, what the hell?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Yes. The Klingons and Ferengi have actual afterlives which correspond to their religion. Humans get tricked by soul vampires to enter the light (VOY)

So space religions are all real, but Buddhists, Christians and Muslims are all wrong-headed primitives according to ST? I guess on some level I knew this, and I’m absolutely going to regret asking this, but is there a canon explanation for this disparity?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mrs. Dash posted:

So I'm watching DS9 after having kind of watched it as a kid and not remembering anything. I just got to Duet in season 1, the one with Kira and the suspected war criminal Cardassian. Is the rest of this show this good? Or are there a lot more episodes like that board game aliens one?

I’d say it’s in the middle. I’m in early season 3 of my rewatch, and there’s very few bad episodes: there’s also not a lot of amazing episodes. After 50 episodes, there’s been 4 bad ones, but the only absolute standout is Duet. The rest are actually perfectly serviceable and enjoyable tv: this is definitely not the same good/bad ratio as TNG’s first 50 episodes.
The thing I’m enjoying is that the whole show seems planned out and plotted way in advance (the Dominion is mentioned in season 1, but not revealed until season 3, for example). Also, all the characters hit the ground running. Every single member of the cast is recognisably themselves from the very first episode. It makes season 1 TNG look like community theatre.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hmm, did they ret-con Sisko’s dad being dead? He talks about him like he’s dead in the early seasons, but I’m certain he appears in some episode where there’s a power cut or something.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Gutcruncher posted:

Race and who belongs to which one is a construct that changes with time and is different in different cultures. Dezi Arnaz was simply white back then.

James Ellroy has a short story called “Balls to the Wall”, which is nominally a piece of Las Vegas fight reportage, but also goes into a little detail about his relationship with his father, and them bonding over boxing. This is the 50’s-60’s, and his dad had the attitudes of a working class white man of his time, and Ellroy details how his father would ‘upgrade’ fighters racial status depending on how much heart they showed. A great hispanic fighter was accorded white status, likewise a great black fighter would somehow be magically transformed in his father’s mind, into a Mexican or Cuban man.

This is all to say that ‘Desi Arnaz was simply white back then’ was probably true some of the time for some people: because he was talented, and famous I’m sure that people often ‘forgot’ he wasn’t white, because he was ‘one of the good ones’. People feel bad about being racist, which is why they have to invent a bunch of complicated mental horseshit to rationalise something completely irrational.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mental Hospitality posted:

Anyone listening to The Delta Flyers podcast? They're doing a show for each Voyager episode. Garrett Wang seems like a big bubbly nerd that I would love to hang with and RDM doesn't seem to remember any of the shows but it begins to come back to him and he doesn't really like Tom Paris.

Which is presumably a flaccid mouse dick compared to Beltran’s raging mastodon hate boner for Chakotay. Does anyone in the history of Trek hate Trek more than Beltran, I wonder.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Danaru posted:

The warp core is going to breach, and the only thing that can stop it is ten litres of human semen

Plot twist: the replicator can only produce ten litres a week… and this week’s supply has already been replicated. Janeway tasks Tuvok with finding the culprit, and he’s drawn into a Maquis-remnant spunk trafficking ring.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DebonaireD posted:

There's a trailer for that new Lower Decks show, which apparently is a cartoon, which I didn't realize. Im not gonna link it here though.

Is this the first we heard of it being a cartoon, and is this actually real? I just like to start hating bad things early.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They’re making Consider Phlebas into a tv show, for what it’s worth. I haven’t enquired into it for fear of crushing disappointment.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m currently on a reread of Banks’ scifi works, and just started Use of Weapons. Phlebas and Player are actually both pretty strong offerings, and I think he usually hits the marks he’s aiming for. I should probably read some negative criticism of his stuff to see what people dislike about it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Perhaps his name is really Cock-Rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

My Lovely Horse posted:

And is presented to the audience as successfully justifying it!

Maybe mirror universe Geordi is a massive Chad-Bro. Jorts, a cutoff football shirt and a six pack. Thongs, hat on backwards and a LiveStrong bracelet.