Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

RaySmuckles posted:

i recently watched the ds9 episode with warf's brother and his death wish

and holy poo poo that conclusion

lmao I know right? What a bizarre anti-Trek message. Suicidal? Well killing yourself would be wrong, but killing your ‘self’ is fine! Your body still exists!

Worf is such an rear end in a top hat on ds9 (and a scab). He’s deserved to go to space jail for attempted murder like... 3 times so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Why does anyone give a poo poo about Klingon honor, when they always come up with bullshit explanations for why everything they do is honourable? ACSHUALLY killing unarmed people is honourable, because winning is the MOST honourable thing :klingonsay: I know y’all hate Jadzia but imo her only bad point is that she takes this garbage seriously

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Depends on if you like Mass Effect or not.

Mass Effect managed to have characters who weren’t completely broken people

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I liked Elnor. I liked his naivety and his willingness to fight for impossible causes, and he made me smile.

idk if you can really be naive while slicing people’s bodies in twain

Found this on the trek wiki and lmfao that he is LITERALLY just a lotr elf in star trek because duhhh its ‘cool’

quote:

Michael Chabon shared on an Instagram Q-and-A that "Elnor" roughly translates from Elvish, a constructed language from The Lord of the Rings also associated with pointed ears: "él" (star) "nor-" (trek/run.)

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

It seems like the Federation should actually have a big problem with the ethics of using Troi to detect people’s emotions. They don’t like surveillance and privacy intrusions in other circumstances. There are a lot of episodes that would be over in five seconds if they had security cameras everywhere, but privacy is a Federation ideal. Unless you really want to know if someone’s lying, then you can invade their thoughts all you want apparently

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

Anyone listening to The Delta Flyers podcast?

Lol at how salty RDM still is 30 years later at having to say “It’s the Voyager”

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Tawny Newsome as Beckett Mariner:
An ensign aboard the U.S.S. Cerritos.[1] Newsome described the character as irreverent and a badass and someone who does not follow the rules, though she is actually "very good at all things Starfleet, she just doesn’t care" and has been demoted several times. Newsome added that Mariner "just wants to ride her skateboard and eat her piece of pizza in peace, man".

Nice anime pose, I can’t wait to hang out with these quirky characters who like pizza!!! :suicide:

e: like gently caress I know this wouldn’t go any way towards improving it but couldn’t they have put one iota of trek in it and said synthale instead of beer in the trailer? “Court martialled” instead of “fired”? Anything? There is no trek setting there except holodecks.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 13, 2020

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Roddenberry's insistence that conflict be external rather than internal to the Federation was largely a good thing, OTOH, telling the actors to emote less probably wasn't

Idk if the “emote less” thing really happened, but I think it’s no bad thing. Imagine a nu-trek where they weren’t allowed to have people constantly shrieking, shouting, arguing, shooting, crying, reacting to explosions and all the other garbage they think is exciting. They’d have to come up with an actual plot pretty loving quick

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

“The idea of male and female are universal constants” (TOS: Metamorphosis) has to be the most TOS line of dialogue ever :lol: it’s cute that the crew all encourage Cochrane to stay with his girlfriend though, even if she is an electrical cloud. A female electrical cloud.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Bajorans: hey some of you were just born into the manual labour slave caste and have to be dirt farmers forever. Sorry, will of the prophets.
Cardassians: lol all of you are manual labourer slaves now
Bajorans: :qq:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

I've always found that weirdly cheap about them. I guess it's really no surprise that women generally like Romulans and Cardassians insofar as they like the baddies because watching institutional misogyny is exhausting even if they're the villains

Watching TOS it’s really f’d up that the Vulcans, notoriously logical “advanced” people, treat their women like property. I don’t think it’s what they intended to say but putting it out there that it’s simply logical to order women around and they actually like it (as Spock’s dad’s wife says) is very weird.

I’d rather be a Ferengi wife and chill out naked at home awaiting my stipend rather than have to tag along behind my Vulcan husband being ordered to “attend”

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

Quark was definitely involved in arms dealing and that's bad

Also gets dax killed in his pursuit of profit. They may not have intentional genocide on their books but I bet Ferenginar is constructed entirely of Grenfell Towers

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

eXXon posted:

Bonus points for severe traumatic brain injury = they'll be fine in two days and still never suffer from mental illness

Remember when Uhura got completely mindwiped and they were just like “eh, teach her to say ‘hailing frequencies open’ again, she’ll be fine”? She was back to work by the end of the episode lmao

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

I basically dont like the lower decks implication that starfleet academy is just space hamburger university, as in it’s a total joke because your real job will consist of shovelling poo poo. in other treks we see that cadets do have problems but their problems are that they have sticks up their asses and want to do things by the book, or theyre overconfident and smug because they’re at an elite training facility. Your starfleet job will not consist of shovelling poo poo and being treated like a moron because this is a world in which unpleasant, pointless activities have been automated so the only reason a cadet would have to do that is out of spite. There IS something wrong with the premise of cadets doing grunt work (and being hated for it). The premise is a reflection of how stupid, pointless, idiotic, spiteful and degrading jobs are today, and this trek says hey, it will be like this forever, gently caress you

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

They move barrels with the hoverboard thing though so even that isn’t equivalent to hard warehouse work or anything. It’s probably done in 20 minutes and your senior officer is like good job ensign, now help me reconfigure the space doodad which is what you’re actually trained to do. And since senior officers are constantly letting random invasive space goos loose throughout the ship and other such massive gently caress ups, it doesn’t really make sense that people would get mad at ensigns for doing the same thing. I just don’t like people in trek being mean to each other and trying to deceive each other!! Trek is a beautiful dream of a workplace where nobody judges you, people help each other out in the spirit of intellectual curiosity, and your boss cares about you.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

DS9 was trying to do something new and introduce more moral greys, but their homage to old Trek (that tribble episode) is really fun and respectful. It would have been easy for them to do an episode about how sexist and boring and horrible TOS was, in the same way that PIC tries to say previous Treks were boring and idealistic and therefore stupid, but they don’t. I give ds9 a lot of passes for its proto-nu-trek ‘war crimes are good sometimes’ attitude because of that

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

alexandriao posted:

Like, if you're essentialy saying she's a "Mary Sue", so is Geordi.

If Geordi was called Geraldine (and I was meant to find that very interesting), he was Uhuru’s brother, he was an orphan half-Cardassian, and everyone jerked him off constantly even though he was just some weird incel with absolutely zero charisma, then you would have a point. As it is, you sound like you use Twitter too much.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

This is a really stupid question, but do they ever explain why Sisko doesn’t just ask the wormhole aliens stuff all the time? When that Bajoran arrives who claims to be the Emissary, they just scoot on down to the wormhole and the prophets are like “oh, yeah, nah”. They’re not even that cryptic about it. Seems like if you have God on speed dial you should use that power, like, a bit more often? Even if you really want to be a Strong Independent Starfleet Captain?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Surely the whole point is that the Federation does not have anything we can equate to our existing military. They have a scientific and exploratory body who also have massive, advanced weaponry and the ability to interfere with other cultures but can only use them in exceptional circumstances. It would be really hosed up if they also had a ‘real’ military because it would imply that force went around conquering planets, declaring war over resources and destabilising foreign governments. Which we know the Fed does not do

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

VectorSigma posted:

better ideas than picard:

star trek: moriarty
klingon cooking show
sheliak c-span

neelix cooking show

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

Really how many episodes would that get you?

He'd already be butchered and parted out in the first episode. Are you really going to watch when they're trying to fill time with a neelix bone broth?

lmao

Also they actually did neelix cooking tie-in already. Yes it has Klingon recipes

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Also, now knowing from delta flyers that Garett Wang is super mad about how generically asian they made Kim in the show, i see he probably tried to send in a deliberately non-asian meal as his recipe but the people making the book had... other ideas

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

I never really engaged with the fanbase or any online discussion about it and I think Rick and Morty is pretty funny. But then I ended up on imdb recently looking for who a voice actor was in that dragon episode, and the comments were just pages and pages of vitriol about how the feeemale writers and SJWs have ruined it and how they don’t want jokes in the episodes, they want ~deep rick lore~. The internet is loving insane

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

The TOS Nazi episode is... interesting. They go to a planet where a Starfleet guy (Gill) was meant to be a cultural observer, but instead decided to institute full-on regular Earth-style Nazism to fix the ‘dividedness’ between two cultures. Apparently it was working great until the inevitable evil alien took over power and drugged Gill to use him as a figurehead. I don’t think today you’d get away with Kirk and Gill basically saying Nazism is a great efficient system as long as its spirit isn’t betrayed by men with too much power. They never present any part of Nazism in the episode apart from the ultra-racism so you’re just left like ??? at why Gill ever attempted it in the first place, what exactly he meant when he said it was working before the takeover, and where the bad guy would have gotten all these racial purity ideas if not from Starfleet. They just skim over the fact that this Starfleet guy, who was one of Kirk’s instructors at the Academy, was A loving NAZI

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

When I need an ideology to unite two races, I reach straight for Nazism

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

I just watched The Omega Glory. Holy poo poo lmao. I don’t even know what to say. Leaving aside all the hilariously racist stuff, the best part is that even SPOCK has to stand up when the almighty AMERICAN FLAG enters the room. Apparently everyone but Roddenberry thought the script was loving awful. Roddenberry insisted on making it. I’m glad he did. It is sublimely bad.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine how pissed you’d be if you were chosen to be a joined trill but you got a brand new symbiont. Everyone else going “wow! I just got ten lifetimes of experience! I’m a master pianist now!” and you‘re just there like oh... cool... so happy for you...

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought that was a fairly good analogue for 1992, just the bit where Riker describes utopian 24th century society like "with us there's men and women" hasn't aged spectacularly well, and probably wasn't really great in the context of '92 already.

So I’ve been thinking about this since the TOS quote that male and female are universal constants: it does seem to be true in the Trek universe (at least, if we generously assume Kirk meant ‘among intelligent life forms’, since it’s clearly not even an Earth constant otherwise). I don’t think we ever see any non-gendered race except this one and there it’s presented like they’re brainwashed into being genderless, not that they naturally are. Even the shapeshifters in DS9 are clearly gendered in their humanoid forms. I don’t think any nu-treks have played around with gender ideas either... PIC was bizarrely conservative about it, Picard immediately makes a comment about how it must be really hard for elf-boy to be the only male around. Sex/gender is basically unexplored as a concept in every Trek series.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

I couldn’t work on the bridge of a starship cause every time the captain gave some obvious order like “reverse thrust” when we’re being pulled into a black hole I wouldn’t be able to stop myself going “OH, REALLY? WOULDN’T HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT ONE, ARE YOU SURE I SHOULDN’T GO AHEAD WARP 10 INSTEAD? WE GOT A FREAKIN GENIUS IN THE CAPTAINS CHAIR HERE”

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Controversial: I don’t like Tapestry because it implies that you need to be some alpha bell-end to do well in Starfleet and that your colleagues will look down on you and think your life is worthless if you’re simply a diligent, careful science worker. Picard literallt chooses to die rather than be an average person - way too elitist and unpleasant of a message. And it speaks ill of the crew/Starfleet/humanity that they had someone of Picard’s potential but failed to bring out that potential. The show blames that on Picard and his behaviour as an individual (which is also bizarre since Picard is usually a role model) but surely his superiors bear some responsibility too. I have a lot of problems with that episode, not my top 5

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I think that's overgeneralizing the point. Lt. Picard has all the advantages of a post-scarcity society and has utterly wasted it all. He doesn't love anything or anyone - not his work, or by this point he would be a ship's (maybe not the Enterprise, but a ship's) head science officer, or an archaeologist digging on a planet, or almost anything else. He's not punching a 9 to 5 to earn a living, as most of us must, he's only stayed in Starfleet out of sheer inertia. And from what we are told and shown, he still apparently has no family, so he's not even traded a challenging and fulfilling career for something of equivalent value. He exists, but he isn't living.

I mean, same (except replace post-scarcity with being in one of the richest nations), but I don’t think I deserve to die. Even in post-scarcity aren’t there gonna be a bunch of people around who find that they don’t really have an incredible love of some sort of work and they’re actually okay with simply contributing in a small way to the big task of humanity, and otherwise chilling with their friends on the holodeck? Would Picard be okay with letting such people die because they’re ‘not really living’? Vulcans would probably deny working with ‘passion and imagination’, as Picard says that Lt Pic doesn’t have. Maybe they’d even deny having ambition. A Vulcan would logically avoid a fight. Do Vulcans deserve to die?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

In this TAS episode the Enterprise travels to the centre of the galaxy, where they find out demons are real but they’re friendly and the devil loves humanity. Spock’s well into it and draws pentagrams all over the place to do magic. The Chick tracts were right all along! Sci-fi and fantasy DOES lead to Satanism!

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Mudd’s Passion: In this episode, a love potion circulates in the airducts of the ship. Scotty hits it off with catgirl Lieutenant M’Ress. Meanwhile Kirk and Spock just become VERY GOOD FRIENDS because they explicitly tell you the love potion makes two men (or one man and a male gas cloud) FRIENDS. BROS. PALS.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

womb with a view posted:

I vaguely remember a discussion in this thread many years ago where goon consensus was that bowel transporters would be a bad idea because you'd lose the ability to poo poo normally.

taking a huge dump is one of life’s natural pleasures, why would you wanna transport that away anyway

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Giving AI a personality would make it completely useless for the tasks we need AI to do. The whole point of having a machine do work is that it never gets bored with repetitive tasks. A computer that can daydream is just as useless as a human.

When Wall-E came out and everyone was ooh-ing and aah-ing over it I was in the corner grumpily repeating this and alienating all my friends

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, there is nothing to suggest, or imply, that the WALL-E models were built with personalities. Having been in operation for Several hundred years (or was it a few thousand?) allowed programming deviation enough to allow for quirks that present as a personality.

But this is absurd, if you run a Tesla car for hundreds of years it won’t magically develop the ability to fall in love with a girl car. That’s not how computers work. Ooh I’m getting mad about it all over again. I‘d like to put Wall-E in the trash compactor

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

“gotta go, I just got paged” *slowly gathers briefcase, cd rom player, powerbook, voltmeter and walkman off the floor*

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

It’s actually mostly the other way around. Woman seduces Kirk, he falls for it, she turns out to be evil. When Kirk ‘seduces’ a woman, it’s mainly a rather starry-eyed innocent affair where he does it to teach the oppressed alien to get in touch with their emotions and sensuality, to literally teach them what love is, as corny as that sounds nowadays

Kirk reallt doesn’t match the gender roles of 2020 very well. It’s easy to put him in a “womanising reckless old-fashioned action hero” box but Kirk is not that. If Spock represents the ‘mind’, then Kirk is the ‘heart’. It’s more that he’s passionate, he loves easily, he’s often too trusting and willing to believe in goodness, he gets emotional, he greatly values love and emotion as a kind of transcendental thing which can set you free. This is a role we might call more feminine-coded. Even with Spock and the Vulcans, they may be a bunch of hyper-rational stemlords, but their superpower is empathy. TOS has v interesting views on gender roles imo

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

“The captain of our space show is lusted after by every woman who lays eyes on him, a classic feminine power fantasy”

I mean, yes, “being lusted over by every attractive member of the preferred sex in the vicinity” seems like a non-gender-specific fantasy to me. Anyway, the very fact that Kirk is usually in the position of BEING lusted over rather than doing the lusting/chasing undermines his position as a supposed “womaniser”. There’s a woman in TAS who bluntly propositions him multiple times, but he turns her down politely. He’s not swinging his dong around at every opportunity.

Endless Trash posted:

Yeah the species where men fight to the death for a woman’s hand in marriage was super feminine and empathetic

Well, what should we do? Ignore the fact that their power is empathy, or say it doesn’t count? Vulcans have a bunch of regressive primitive opinions, but Spock can also see things from the point of view of a mother Horta protecting its eggs. Sarek is super condescending to his wife in public, but can also literally share minds with her and clearly loves her. This is more interesting than having a patronising Tumblr-esque race of total women-respecters

Anyway whatever this isn’t really a good topic for gbs probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

I was taking issue with you calling TOS Vulcans “feminine coded”, so what we should do is say that they’re not. They’re tv show aliens who are whatever they need to be for that week. They’re tribalistic and macho one week, empathetic and passive the next.

Sorry, probably a misunderstanding - I meant Kirk has elements that are feminine coded. The Vulcans largely don’t, but their superpower being specifically a mind meld rather than telepathy or mind control is still interesting for an otherwise macho race (in TNG the empathic race which gets super horny is, more conventionally, characterised mostly by females)