Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Some general Star Trek weirdness: In TOS episode "What are Little Girls Made Of?" Majel Barret plays along side a giant android played by Ted Cassidy, aka Lurch from the Addams Family. And of course in TNG she plays along side Mr. Homn, played by Carel Struycken, aka Lurch from the Addams Family.

For a long rear end time I didn't realize that Cassidy and Struycken were not the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

you broke my grill posted:

yep this is what star trek is in the current year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not good, but they haven't made good star trek since ds9, so it's not unique in that regard.

it is lazy though. everything about the production so far seems very :effort:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’m binge watching all my TNG Blu-rays so you don’t have to. Figured I will subject you all to my thoughts as I do.

Let's see if you last longer than Denise Crosby did

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Poison Mind posted:

Denise Crosby gets a bad rap. She's not good, but she isn't awful. What the gently caress can any actor do with Lt. "Let Me Bring Up Rape Gangs Every Third Line"? I think she acquits herself really admirably in Yesterday's Enterprise, and does a pretty good Romulan antagonist. I really don't really get people holding it against her for jumping ship on what was a bad look, no matter what the era.

I'm not holding it against her, the show was an absolute clusterfuck when she left. There's no way should could have foreseen them turning it around to the extent that they did by the third season, and no reason for her to have stuck with a failing reboot of a 20 year old sci-fi franchise otherwise. Given what happened to Gates McFadden, it's absolutely understandable that Crosby decided gently caress this poo poo and bailed.

The joke was the first and second seasons are pretty rough and weird to watch, so let's see if OP manages to make it through them better than Crosby did.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 16, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Audio production in s1/s2 of TNG is noticeably different than the later seasons for some reason.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Roddenberry getting sidelined is probably a good chunk of what saved that show.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 16, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I notice it too - it’s especially apparent in early season one. The ambient ship noises are mixed a lot lower, and the acoustics of the sets are oddly different. I’m wondering if they modified the acoustic treatment of the sound stages after a while, and maybe switched out the type of mics they were using.

The musical style of the incidental music was different to begin with too. Like, the kind of stuff you might hear in Twin Peaks or the X-Files a few years later.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No. RDA is the only good thing about it and the quality of any given episode will vary wildly but never actually reach "good".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

in theory it's because she has immediate value to the captain in diplomatic communications and negotiations as she has the rare mental ability of being able to vaguely tell if the other party is like worried or evasive based on their body language and word choices.

She's a cut rate Betazoid though, because they have real honest to goodness telepaths too IIRC, she just isn't one of them. Why exactly the Federation made a lovely telepath a member of the command staff on their flagship is anyone's guess.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

loving nepotism. Starfleet is corrupt to the core.

Powered Descent posted:

They did make the occasional attempt to show Troi as an expert in alien cultures. Like when she helped the Captain figure poo poo out during the dispute with the Sheliak over the exact terms of an old treaty, or when she coached him in how to speak Jarada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n20nIbp2vd8

None of which justifies 99% of the time she spent hanging around the bridge, of course.

Ah, she also has an online certificate in protocol and etiquette

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Take a look at Troi, Crusher, and Yar in that photo vs everyone else and you have an accurate representation of everyone's experiences with the first season of the show working around Gene Roddenberry.

Jennifer Lien looks increasingly uncomfortable in the Voyager shoot if you go through that entire article. To the point where you could legitimately read Robert Picardo as a homicidal psychopath with a Handicam in one shot

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 19, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Even better that that’s actually Ethan Phillips.

lol, welp. In hindsight he obviously has too much hair to be Robert Picardo.

That's is so much more unsettling

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know they look nothing alike, but every time I see this I think of the creepy photo that murderer took of his victim that always ends up in Photoshop threads.

That's exactly the energy being channeled there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...what?! This is the first I've heard of this.

It's a joke Crack-rear end

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I feel like maybe Avery Brooks, but then again, could you tell?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I won't lie, this is actually quite a bit harder than I thought it was going to be.

And now you know why Denise Crosby decided she'd rather be in Mutant Species

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I watched Who Watches the Watchers.

So it's you then?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Finally, we found the guy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Please keep these up. I plan to use them to make a point sometime far in the future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

McSpanky posted:

You realize that by the very mention of it there's no way this incredible future post could possibly live up to the hype, might as well just come out with it.

I am going to quote a seven season long wall of text to demonstrate how nu-trek is absolute trash compared to the classics, as evidenced by the myriad stories and adventures of varying quality Lord Ludikrous experienced

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Species 8472 look like something out of Babylon 5. At least they're not "guy with a forehead prosthetic", but I think they may have been a little to quick to jump on the all CGI train

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Farscape had the best aliens.

Fight me.

They had actual Jim Henson puppets didn't they?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, that's gonna be hard to top

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh, right, yeah that's true - I think those were all like ultra TAG kids or something like that

Imagine how much of a nerdlinger you'd have to be to be considered "special" by Starfleet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, which awful racial stereotype were they meant to be?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's the future and everyone has a massive rack

Fully automated luxury space titties

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

B5 probably appears like barely above a Hercules/Xena quality show if you just catch random episodes, especially if you happen to hit the wrong ones.

As someone who has seen only a random smattering of episodes, this is true, but underselling it a bit. The show is loving ridiculous and the first season is so low budget and hilariously melodramatic it could be compared to 80s era Dr. Who meets a daytime soap.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 27, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

alexandriao posted:

* Jessica Fletcher murders all of the victims personally, then frames people, all so she can write about it and continue to be famous

Isn't it funny how often she knows a friend of the victim, or was a friend of the victim? Hmm.

I haven't seen the show in like 25 years, but did they do the bit where she solves cases with knowledge that wasn't available to the viewer? i.e. She has unique knowledge of the circumstances of the crime?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, she does seem to see quite a body count on holiday. I didn't mean it was actually implied by the author though, just that there were some lazier mystery shows that used to have the protagonist solve the mystery using information the viewer didn't have and didn't see them get, which to me always implied they knew a little too much.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

alexandriao posted:

Also I never really understood why they never did a thing where lone troops were shot at DS9 from a (maybe cloaked) craft outside the weapons radius.

For the same reason they never did any of the other things that logically follow from the technology they have, it would break the show.

Hell, half the show is conveniently forgetting all the one off times they did do an interesting thing because if they ever did it again it would break the plot.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 28, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

This new SFM is looking legit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Xenocides posted:

I admit I am now curious as to what the Romulans know that led them to fear synthetic life. I am worried it will be a let down but cautiously optimistic.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

At least Picard hasnt had a graphic rape scene yet

This week on Picard:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TBH the one where he replaces the bald dwarf's insulin with PCP was better.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, but not exactly Star Trek related, is it?

At least as much as Picard is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No it isn't

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Poopelyse posted:

she thinks DS9 is boring as hell

Your wife is right.

It's probably the best Star Trek in terms of ~themes~ and ~characters~ but good lord it's loving dull the vast majority of the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MrTargetPractice posted:

I just finished that DS9 episode with the Tosk 'Captive Pursuit'. There is no way modern Trek could pull that loving episode off. If they'd tried Star Fleet would have Section 69 do a kick flip over Tosk while cutting off his head because something something they have tech we need AND THIS IS WAR DAMMIT!!!

Quark would actually be raping the dabo girls in the b-plot.

I mean, it's implied that he is in DS9, modern Trek would just remove the ambiguity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Quark: Think about it. She's on a space station in deep space with her employer. She looks around her, what does she see? An empty boardwalk. "Oh, there's nowhere else for me to work, what am I gonna do, say no?"

Bashir: Quark, that seems awfully dark.

Quark: No, no, it's not dark. You're misunderstanding me.

Bashir: Yes, I think I am.

Quark: Yeah, you are. If the girl said no, then the answer is obviously no. The thing is that she's not gonna say no, she'd never say no... because of the implication.

Bashir: Now, you said that word "implication" a couple of times - what implication, Quark?

Quark: The implication that she might not have a job if she refuses to sleep with me. Now, not that she's not going to have a job, but she's thinking she might not.

:kiss: