Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

My hypothesis that half of the genre writers who get work are subtly and not-so-subtly inflicting their fetishes on the audience remains strong.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh god, Voq's actor is “Javid Iqbal,” who has no credits outside of STD, and Ash's actor is Shazad Latif, whose birth name was Shazad Khaliq Iqbal.

This would be a perfectly good twist if Voq wasn't a drooling moron. Or if Ash was more like Voq in general.

https://twitter.com/realjavidiqbal?lang=en

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

revolther posted:

I imagine replicators essentially take raw matter in different forms, recycled waste carbon makes some meh tasting Turkey dinners, or a better mix of base fuel and you get better food. Or maybe Quarks just has better "recipes" in the sense that they are meticulously designed atomic/molecular blueprints that pay more attention to linking the different elements of taste. This sorta makes sense in a jokey "army rations/food is terrible" way.

I mean taste is sort of an abstract concept to a computer sure, but even to people if you were trying to reconstruct a seared steak atom-by-atom. Computers with "Heisenberg Compensators" should theoretically be capable of recording the molecular differences caused by Maillard Reactions, so there is really no excuse it's been handled in this way other than not caring about the canon of the show enough to pick something and stick to it.

It could be design or fuel that makes Quarks menu more desirable, or something non-nerdy like socializing...

Standard-replicator food has been noted by non-starfleet types as being highly tasty and accurate to what a "natural" meal would taste like.

Every. Single. Time.

A given recipe in a replicator tastes exactly the same, every time you eat it. Perfectly identical, every time.

Even for someone that doesn't have some psychological hang-up against replicated food (because they've got a philosophical hard-on for the colonist life and growing your own food, or you're the son of a chef who enjoys cooking, or whatever), eating the same meal more than a handful of times will have you notice this pretty fast, one would think. For a lot of people, this probably isn't a big issue, for some it will be, as with any society/culture having its customs and preferences for food.

Quark probably acquires new variations on recipes (so that they taste slightly different, the texture is slightly different, the *look* is slightly different) frequently enough that it's reason enough to eat there rather than the repli-mat in and of itself, let alone other potential factors like having some hand-prepared meals, custom recipes for food/meals from cultures the repli-mat simply doesn't have at all, etc.

That, and Quark's almost certainly has a MUCH superior beverage selection, so there's that, too.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Jesus gently caress what happened to Tarantino? I swear I saw him doing something just a few months ago and he looked like 45 years younger than this still.

Jesus, he looks like Bad Coop and Dougie had a baby.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MA-Horus posted:

The FEDERATION is developing new QUANTUM TORPEDOS while we're still using PHOTON torpedoes! The weak Detapa Council wants to spend defense funding on social programs!

It was so hilariously sad that the moment Cardassia's fascist military government lost power to a democratic civilian (less fascist) government...the Klingon empire invaded in an all-out sneak attack, using this peaceful transition of power as evidence for...shapeshifter infiltration of Cardassia.

...which, of course, eventually lead to the Cardassians jumping in bed with the Dominion and giving them a foothold to launch a war that saw billions dead and half the quadrant trashed by its end.

This is why the Alpha quadrant can't have nice things. Bloody Klingons.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure the Klingons also attacked because they like war, but yes, I was more looking at the optics of the whole situation rather than the behind the scenes details.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
This may be the thing about BGS that left the largest impression upon me after watching the entire thing start to finish:

e: My bad, totally slipped my mind, but this video contains a pretty big character-related spoiler, so exercise caution if you haven't watched the series before.

:bsg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDjAFi7oJ4 :bsg:

Aoi fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 22, 2017

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just a minor warning for a character death spoiler from late in the series if you haven't seen BSG yet and want to.

Good lord is that amazingly tasteless though :suspense:.

Yeah, that just totally, whoop, slipped past me when posting it, despite that being, you know, the whole point of the clip. Derp.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Arcsquad12 posted:

BSG Exodus Part 1. So you go through that entire recap montage showing Cally running away to the right of the Cylons down into a valley, only to then show in this episode that she was actually running uphill to their left and also behind the police. God drat that is some annoying editing.

Haha, I remember that, it was terrible.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Sisko's catchphrase is "ARE YOU QUEST-TION-ING THE VA-LID-ITY OF MY PLAN?"

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MA-Horus posted:

Was....was Avery Brooks the best captain?

Yes, Captain Avery Brooks was definitely the best Starfleet captain.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Now recall that Cardassians consider arguments to be a form of flirting, to the point where an engineer wanted to do O'Brien just for being his usual grumpy self

...wait...I just got it, despite being a fan for years.

Dukat was bi for Sisko in Waltz. Hell, almost from the start.

And Damar was tsundere for Weyoun?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

basic hitler posted:

I've been watching DS9 and I had good fun in season one, but i can't remember much of it honestly.

I'm a ways into season 2 now and I had to skip season 2, episode 15, Paradise. I've seen it before, but I got about half way through it before I realized that, and how much I hated it, and was hating it. This being a modern year and on amazon instead of a syndicated broadcast, i skipped that poo poo.

It's so loving bad, and almost a backdoor pilot for Voyager conceptually. A sanctimonious shithead gets control of crashlanded humans into a cult obsessed with a return to nature and simpler living, then uses it to rule over and control people and let people die from preventable disease, and generally make arbitrary, insane decisions, all for the sake of forsaking technology or anything that would threaten her power base.

It's so bad. A candidate for worst DS9 episode.

It's not a bad episode.

It's Sisko and O'Brien surrounded by a colony of morons ruled by a murderous dictator.

They're meant to be horrible and insufferable and stupid.

Sisko and O'Brien suffering due to their stupidity is meant to be almost intolerable to experience.

Their making a stupid goddamn decision at the end is meant to be terrible, and make us judge them.

It's just a painful episode to sit through, not a bad one.

I'm right there with you otherwise, though, I find it hard to watch, myself.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

FabioClone posted:

Kirk versus Finnegan is the best fight in Star Trek history.

Commodore Decker vs Redshirt Security Officer was the best fight in Star Trek history.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Believe it or not, but Pathfinder's actually a solid episode; The whole thing with the Voyager holoprogram is because he's obsessed with the project of getting them home and is badly relapsing into his old holoaddiction habits.

All the parts where his ideas get deemed crazy are because Reg really is slipping off the deep end again and his coworkers are legitimately trying to help him for valid reasons.

Pathfinder was indeed a really solid, well-acted and written and, well, Star Trekky episode, with all the opposition in the episode being due to his colleagues being worried about his mental health and not wanting him to relapse again.

Surely it must be a coincidence that it's also an episode where they aren't actually on Voyager for more than, what, a minute? :iiam:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Barclay failed to show up for work on multiple occasions because he lost track of time in the holodeck.

What's that episode where he gets super smart? That was the best Barclay episode.

Fake edit: Except the spider one.

He'd even run off from the middle of work when he got anxious and hide in the holodeck amidst his fantasy versions of his co-workers while having panic attacks.

That poo poo wasn't normal or healthy, even if the bridge crew were jerks about intruding on his programs, too.

The one where he gets super smart was really good, though I like the one with the teleporter worms more, I think.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
How in space could you forget the episode where Odo and Kira are trapped in a cave and Kira has a crystal STD and Odo confesses he's in love with her and it turns out it was the female changeling cockblocking him all along?

Or the episode where Odo goes into the Gamma Quadrant with a criminal huckster who claimed he knew where a colony of changelings were, and it turns out it was to save his daughter, who was hidden in a cave?

Or the episode where Odo runs away from the Defiant when it gets attacked by the Dominion, then winds up on the Founders' homeworld, and it turns out the whole crew is trapped in a computer simulation...in a cave?

Or the episode where Odo goes to meet with one of his Cardassian contacts and they meet in a cave so the Cardassian can hide in the backlit area so Odo can't see his latest plastic surgery-changed face?

Or the episode where Odo shapeshifts to help rescue Kira from the Circle, who are holding her in their secret HQ in a cave?

Basically, I'm saying that Odo really liked caves, maybe a bit too much.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Gatekeeper posted:

cuz those gosh darned fucksucking Vorlons can't just leave ol' leather apron in 1885 or w/e, they've always gotta drag mr. slicey dicey not-so-nicey to whatever interrogation they deem important at the time, because that definitely makes sense. just finished giving a job interview for assistant manager at Spacy's Department Store (lol space macys = spacy's :xd:) in November of 5324 AD, headed to an audition for the role of Seymour in an amateur production of Little Shop of Horrors put on by a legion of Sardaukar and some Harkonnen troops on Arrakis in 10,146AD, and Jack the Ripper managed to give the Vorlon the slip again. And now every time he gets a coat he hasn't worn since last winter out of the closet, poor Scotty finds a slice of his crush's uterus in the pocket along with the occasional surprise fiver that no cashier will accept because it's completely stained with blood

Indeed.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Baronjutter posted:

I love how the chatty guy they don't like is straight up murdered in front of them all, his corpse left to sit on the floor, and no one mentions him or his death for the entire rest of the episode. Did they really hate him THAT much?

They just all claimed later that they were practicing the Federation Grieving Of The Future, ie, none, as is right and proper for advanced humans (and Data).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Pretty sure she was only one for at least part of the first season, even. I mean, almost every single time something Ocampa-related comes up, it's her protesting that "I'm too young for that to be happening!", which almost feels like some of the writers rebelling passive-aggressively at the whole relationship.

At least I don't feel so weird now, being the only person in my early teens when the series started to think the whole Neelix / Kes thing was creepy as hell (though I was only discussing this with other nerd teens in HS face to face, never really discussed ST on the internet even getting in relatively early (for a poor) in '95).

(Also, I just google-checked how to spell Ocampa, and the second predicted result was "Ocampa mating", ew.)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The Ancients did everything wrong!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Kizai, their faces wet.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Odo wears nothing but his commbadge.

Odo doesn't wear a commbadge, he grows one.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Changelings are kind of ridiculous. It's not hard to see why various less powerful races have mistaken them for Gods.

Odo can totally mimic a commbadge and send/receive the signals a real one could, including stuff for security fields and to be picked up on sensors and whatnot. It isn't even hard for him.

The only reason he's bad at faces is because of psychological trauma from his early years, and probably a subconscious attempt at keeping the Cardassians from conscripting him as the perfect spy/assassin, to get categorized as a novelty, rather than a real asset.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Kitchner posted:

Other than Odo's comm badge though, is there any evidence ever of a changeling assuming the form of a working electronic device though? I don't think there is, which means either Odo is the most proficient changeling ever (nope) or his badge is carried all the time when he's goop (maybe) or that the writers didn't even think about it (more likely).

Has any other changeling ever needed an electronic (optronic, quantum, whatever) device, other than Odo? The Founders had their Jem'Hadar and Vor'ta to do that sort of base thing for them, Founder infiltrators used Starfleet/Klingon/etc devices as the person whose role they were playing would (but may have also learned the commbadge trick in short order, for better on-the-spot shifting like the admiral into a seagull trick), to better be believable. But we also saw Changeling Julian crawling out of that access tube without any tools in his hands, after just (presumably) carrying out some sabotage, even as he claimed he was putting those extension courses to work. Pretty sloppy, but then, that goodude wasn't the most impressive changeling as is, getting blown up while trying to blow up a sun just to cover his sloppy work elsewhere.

We never saw any of them use a phaser, so I assume that level of focused energy expenditure might be beyond them, but we have seen at least one manage warp speeds, so who knows?

The infiltrator on the Defiant that Odo helped kill used some sort of BS Dominion tech to infect and hijack the Defiant's systems (those semi-bio almost changeling-like tube things), which he would've needed to smuggle inside his body, so we know they can do that (and I always knew it was a possibility Odo just hides his badge inside him when shifting).

We don't really know, I'm not trying to stake my INTERNET REP on it, I just thought it was an interesting point to bring up. I still think it's plausible, that he's just shifting a fully-functional one onto his chest, I mean he learned that drinking glass trick pretty fast once he had any interest in being more sociable, and there was that aforementioned warp travel, turning into liquids and gasses, who knows?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Saru was great, Tilly and the Fun Guy grew on me greatly, and the rest of the crew that never gets to talk or do anything because we need MORE MICHAEL LOOKING CONSTIPATED managed to touch me more than 80% of the cast of Enterprise, somehow, especially when they were really onboard with being proper Starfleet guys and gals rather than hard men and women.

If the show could just resolve its major writing and focus problems, it has the material to be ok, not just as a show, but as Trek.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Owlbear Camus posted:

update from several pages back:

klingon girl was definitely and demonstrably initiating flirtations

thanks goons

Qa'pla!

(I actually wrote the last sentence in my English 30 final exam in Klingon, borrowing a copy of the dictionary a friend brought with him on exam day as a joke. My exam scored a perfect 100 and was ranked the highest rated in the province I lived in (apparently they do that, it was news to me), and I won an award for it at the school's follow-up ceremony for that year (coming back post-graduation for the ceremony a few months later.)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

yeah i changed my mind it's okay to hate tv shows if it's star trek discovery or any episode of DS9 with Vic Fontaine

how is it possible to be so wrong and so right at the same time

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still think it's funny how Voyager actually successfully argued against its own stupid ~Holographic Rights!~ diatribe with that two-parter involving all the rogue Hirogen-created holograms.

Specifically the bit where they "rescue" 40-something labour holograms from an alien ship, destroy said ship and its crew... and learn the rescued holograms only know a small set of vocal commands and actions. Like, oh, most holograms everywhere.

Ahem. The Voyager-created Hirogen-gifted holograms.

Everything else aside, assuming holograms did keep advancing in the Alpha Quadrant, that'd be a crime against humanity (I can't remember, did Trek use 'crime against sentients' or not?) for Janeway's legacy right there.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Kitchner posted:

TNG already tackled that when they created a sentient Professor Moriarty hologram and then turned him off lol

lol yeah, but Janeway created holograms to be literally stalked, tortured, and murdered OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, despite knowing, due to her experience with (abusing) The Doctor how easy it was for them to gain some measure of sentience with extended usage.

Sure, she could try and claim "I didn't know they'd make them remember it all!", but come on, this is the Hirogen, of course they'd do any number of sick poo poo things to provide a better hunt from their prey.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm still very sorry for your recent loss, but that's a genuinely hilarious dog death story, Gatekeeper.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Do you? Do you really?

How do you know The Sisko wasn't raised by two dads and his stepmom after his totally not a victim of rape by alien possession biological mom split the moment she was released from said possession?

How do you know The Sisko isn't from a polyamorous household, and the only reason it was never brought up was because it's totally uncontroversial and The Sisko's other dad was never involved in any weirdness that would cause them to discuss him the way his non-step-mom was? I mean, we already know that their family is casual enough about getting together and so forth that his sister was never seen on screen once, and only mentioned offhand once(? twice?).

It's all starting to make sense.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I maintain that the transporters don't kill you by design, they move you through ~~~SUBSPACE~~~, and you only get weird stuff like Thomas Riker when strange planets bounce your signal and create a clone of your pattern, or whatever. The rare edge cases where the transporter is used to change someone somehow (Pulaski in the case of the super-olds, Picard as mentioned above) is more like using the transporter to perform some weird surgery/genetic alteration, since while they only have the one pattern/person they can de/rematerialize somewhere, they do have a perfect record of that person's current state of being/health, and can modify elements to alter someone, rather than the equivalent of just wiping the current version and re-creating from the ground up with an old one.

Future Federation Humans are crazy borderline transhumanists, but pretty much every species uses transporters, and they can't ALL be crazy 'psh dying for travel convenience is totally fine' weirdos.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's honestly way, way, way easier (and entirely consistent with a multitude of episodes) to just assume that souls are real in Star Trek, and that the transporter beam can move souls.

I guess that is, effectively, what "transporters are moving your ~~pattern~~ from one place to another, not just killing you and making a copy" represents, yeah. That it's still "you" that re-materializes, not just a different iteration of you. I mean, so long as that were the case, I'd be as fine with it as everyone on Trek is, but how can you ever REALLY know blah blah blah...

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Actually, she isn't, but some (online) star trek fans have a really weird hateboner for her.

It's a lot like the Skyle(a)r hate from BB, I've noticed. It's strange.

Oddly enough, not a single fellow female relative I've convinced to watch either DS9 or BB have hated either Keiko or Skyler, and found my anecdotes about how much certain swathes of the fanbases hate them (first Skyler, because BB is easier to convince people to watch, then Keiko, because Trek is a bit longer of a leap of faith for a normal person) to be very amusing in a certain sort of way.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLfHDUAB_Ww

One of the funniest scenes in Trek, and contributed to another hilarious Worf scene in DS9 when O'Brien announces that Keiko is going to have another baby (Yoshi) while in Quark's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYU1cFxaXj8

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

drilldo squirt posted:

It's cool since the fact he wasn't interacting with other matter means he wasn't transferring heat so he actually died over a period of days floating in an endless void without sound or feeling with the full knowledge that he's going to die slowly.

Maybe they went and picked him up? I mean, now that they knew how to detect phased people and de-phase them, they could've followed his trajectory, de-phased him while still in space, then beamed him aboard before he died of normal space reasons. That's totally doable with the Enterprise's crew and ship capabilities combined.

In fact, that's my new head canon. He's back amongst the living after 20+ years dead.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, I was talking about the season 1 or 2 assassination plot, where she convinces obrian's-never-before-seen-assistant to shoot him when he comes to visit about the heretical school.

I think she may have actually been in one or two prior episodes, but I could be wrong. I know that O'Brien's subordinate from later on in the series was in a few episodes before the ship, and I could be conflating the former's set-up with the latter's.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Good Tom Groyper posted:

What do people think of Section 31? I went through DS9 for only the second time in my life, and was following various web discussions, and am shocked to learn that it's widely hated. People think of the Federation like Americans felt about America on 9/12, and think it was a real betrayal to imply the Federation isn't 100% perfect. Maybe it's just because I never had faith in the government, but even in 1999 when I first remember seeing Sloane, etc. I just went "Oh yea, of course the Federation has to resort to assassins and realpolitik for the edge cases"

It was handled well in DS9 because they actually created it and had a story to tell with it, while later post 9/11 shows/movies just unambiguously tossed them in so they could write hard man doing a hard space job crap without actually getting it.

Their whole thing in DS9 is that they were 100% not an actual part of the Federation, officially or unofficially, they were self-appointed delusional terrorist cells betraying and distorting the Federation's founding principles which a few evil admirals/HQ dipshits looked the other way for when they thought their terrorism accidentally might help the war effort.

This was clearly portrayed as wrong and shameful to the pajamas and actually had more consequences on a long-term Federation admiral character's "arc" (Ross) than anything in Star Trek before or since, given that he'd actually existed for multiple seasons as a generally good and reasonable admiral who then compromised himself in an episode other than the one in which he was introduced.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Tighclops posted:

loving lmao

From what I've heard, they can't even offload the show's merch because retailers don't want it

Up here in Canada, almost every episode of The Expanse I pay for an entire channel package just to watch has, on its on demand episode videos, ads from the channel interspersed for the new season.

One of those ads is a loving Discovery ad, with Michael's actor speaking as the ad starts, in interview format, to one of the network's 'hip geeks' who have a show about sci-fi community doings.

And when she starts speaking, the first words out of her mouth, for this ad, which I have to watch because I can't skip through it fast enough, every time, is some variation (I'm unable to remember the precise wording in an attempt to protect my brain, but I drat well remember those last two words) of "Our show is so amazing because it's about our humanity"...

And she just says it in this incredibly...like, insufferable way...as if it was the only "sci-fi" show to ever care about the humanity of its characters, not like all those other dumb sci-fi shows with their laser guns and spaceships and robots, not like the loving show I'm watching as this loving ad keeps showing up and bedeviling me, not like the show for the second most common ad, some sort of retarded story about robots and cowboys...no, Star Trek Discovery is the deep and meaningful exploration of what it means to be human and compassionate and star trekky and deeply characterized and

I

this loving

I've defended STD, I defended it while it was still airing, I said it had some potential, that it could be good if they'd just get their act together, and Michael isn't a completely terrible character in theory and

It's broken me. I am broken now. Broken. Turn me over, I wanna die from my horrible overly spiky and busy bat'leth inbred retard cousin wounds looking at the sky you annoying teenage puke kid, not with my face down in discovery ads