Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

Her race of people carry their babies between their shoulder blades and the baby comes out their butts. They die at 7 and when they meditate they can see sub-atomic particles.

Didn't she come back as some insane intra-dimensional space god or something?

The only episode I liked was "Year in Hell" where they actually had to deal with stuff like the ship breaking down and dwindling supplies. I feel like the series really lost an opportunity by not showing the ship slowly degrading and facing issues of survivalism. Yeah they threw in some borg tech but it would have been pretty cool if they would have lost a nacelle and then welded on half of a borg cube or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Bitter Mushroom posted:

we need to make a definitive list of the greatest doctor episodes

the one with Andy Dick

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ibogaine posted:

A lot of people in the comment section got really, really angry about Beltran, too. It's amazing how many people apparently take this poo poo seriously.

I mean, I find Star Trek enjoyable enough, but obviously playing one of these cardboard characters for years and saying mostly the same stock phrases ("shields are down", "unidentified vessel approaching", "the transporter/holo-deck/warp drive is malfunctioning", etc) over and over again must be rather frustrating for a trained actor. (Though I guess the paycheck more than made up for it).

It's one thing to have a laugh about space elves and such but I think you could show some appreciation to the fans that made you a millionaire. He never has to work another day in his life and he just says 'gently caress you' to the people who made it possible which seems arrogant and ungrateful. Before Star Trek, Beltran's biggest claim to fame was some direct to video Chuck Norris movie.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCWYm7B_B4

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
So aparently this is a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuMsb4nzmis

There's all kinds of fictional space ship ambient tracks on youtube

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Monkey Fracas posted:

how long are the episodes going to keep randomly starting with Janeway's British holodeck novel

They eventually switch to a Davinci workshop program which somehow ends up being even more insufferable than the Jane Austin program.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

*fucks intern*

I had a revelation about Roddenberry quotes today. They're like Chinese Fortune Cookies so you have to append 'in bed' at the end.

We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.
In Bed

The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope that 'Star Trek' has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities.
In Bed

A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
In Bed

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
TOO MANY TACHYONS, REVERSE POLARITY

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gillian Anderson is holding up pretty well.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

I support Nikki Cox's decisions. Have you ever seen a redhead over 40? They look like they're melting. I'd sooner watch my parents have sex than watch some grody redhead 40-something parading around.

Also Maria Thayer is 40 according to the internet.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man I kinda forgot they were even doing a NuTrek show

hope it's good but outlook is poor

I think they got some good writers/show runner. The fact that it's going to be on CBS streaming means nobody is going to watch it.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i understand not liking Wheaton but let's be fair and admit that no actor could have sold the poo poo they wrote for that character during the first season

I guess nobody likes Wesley but I always felt like I related to him when I was watching the show as a kid. I mean I probably wasn't as nerdy because I had a really good Dungeons and Dragons character and a Nintendo but I can't be the only poster in this thread who shared something in common with him.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

Kate Mulgrew complained that she would act out a scene that required some emotion, and they would say "cut" and tell her to tone it down to the point where 7of9 was more emotional than her.

To be fair, if you've seen her on any other show you know she really likes to ham it up. Kate has practically made a career out of overacting.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

Honestly once energy became free and hologram/replicator technology, the only time I'd leave the house would be to have an anus rejuvenation to liven things up after almost constant nailings. Color me beautiful.

I want to get a Spaceballs Winnebago and just constantly explore. Replicate blunts and watch a super nova, visit a nebula, and what ever space phenomenon. Then you could go planet hopping having sex with one of each race Andorian, Cardassian, Breen, ad infinitum.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
The whole movable nacelle thing was nonsense too.

edit: Excuse me, I meant Variable Geometry Pylon

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 17, 2016

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Squizzle posted:

Do you think Picard spells it "transportre" in all of his reports?

He probably switches it up like how sometimes he says 'schedule' and then other times he says 'shedule'.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It raised them any time it went to Warp Speed. Presumably because it looked cool.

I gave a link to the technical reasons a few pages back if anybody is interested. The retarded part is that they needed to set them horizontal for impulse speeds. Aerodynamics don't come in to play in space so they should just stay vertical at all times.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well that's what I was getting at. Staying vertical at all times means a fixed position. But it gets worse, in later episodes of Voyager the writers forgot the whole reasoning behind the Variable Geometry Pylon because they STILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO SUBSPACE.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

I'll take you in that fight because in fact Ezri is the worst looking type of woman. She's got a short boyish haircut and not a bunch of curves so you're walking behind her in Kroger and she's wearing jeans and a t-shirt and you see the haircut then you think "goddamn he's got a loving juicy rear end Jesus Christy" and then she turns to grab some Bisquik and you realize it's not dude and your whole grocery run is ruined.

I hope you can appreciate that some people have the exact opposite experience where I'm thinking, "woah, check out that manic pixie dream girl". Then they turn to grab some pigs feet and I'm disappointed and confused about my sexuality because they are revealed to be some twink bear cub.

I like Ezri more than Jadzia and found Ezri's characterization more relatable with insecurities compared to Jadzia who was more defined by her sarcasm and her Otaku like obession with Klingon culture.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

I'll admit it, I absolutely hate the Worf's family episodes

I'm a big fan of Worf's baby mama.

Even when she's a Vulcan.

...Sometimes she's a Q?

Although I think I'll stick with Jeffery Combs when it comes to Andorians.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

But she still ugly.

I enjoy your posting criscodisco but sometimes I feel like being gay may be affecting your ability to objectify women.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

So I decided to rewatch this episode tonight because I had somehow managed to forget everything about it. S02E06, The Schizoid Man. It's a Data episode where he's possessed by another being yet again. Seriously, he's been possessed so many times that he's a legitimate security risk yet nobody ever bothers to change his brain password. It also features a rare funeral in which they beam the corpse into space. The antagonist seems to be an homage to Roddenberry because while his sole motivation is to hook up with a young blonde, he still manages to perv out on Troi.

Overall it's a pretty strange episode because Troi is actually does something useful, which is a rarity. Lt. Selar's presence is fairly odd because there doesn't seem to be any meaningful reason for her to replace Pulaski for most of the episode and I think this is the only episode she's in. Why did Pulaski have to leave and help with some other medical emergency? It doesn't seem to impact the story at all. I'm guessing the actor who plays Pulaski had to take a few days off for some reason so they just tossed in another character so that it wouldn't interrupt the shooting schedule.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Wolf 359, never forget

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure I ever watched the V reboot but it was okay because it had that lady from Firefly.

Yes criscodisco, I know you think she's awful and unattractive but I still like her.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

BattleMaster posted:

anyone who says that they like bajorans is lying

I don't know Dukat seemed pretty sincere.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

can we get a list of good and bad races?

good
french/british
klingon
american
vulcan
betazoid
the fat retarded guys who kidnapped geordie
q continuum

bad
bajoran
irish
borg
italian
ferengi
greek
romulan
dumbass darmok and jalad assholes who could only speak in memes

I'd like to add to your list

Good
Alaskan (Riker)
Those fish people who freeze themselves when they travel and eat chum
The binary midgets
The cat people who insisted on eating live prey while traveling on the Enterprise
Breen
The quadrapalegic girl who forced DS9 to become handicap accessible

Bad
Catfish guys who need a little fog machine in front of their mouths
The Prophets

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

the prophets are a group of homeless people living in the woods bordering the backyard that huff paint all day but seem to know stuff

I was thinking about the Prophets a while back and came to the conclusion that they are the ultimate evil in the universe. They manipulated Sisko's dad to make Benjamin and then manipulated events so he would end up on Bajor. This leads me to conclude that they caused the massacre at Wolf 359 to kill Ben's wife so he would be reassigned. They influenced the Cardassians so they would occupy Bajor leading the federation to eventually occupy Deep Space 9. The Prophets are literally responsible for decades of genocide and massacres.

Dukat did nothing wrong.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here's some more recent news about the new Star Trek show.
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/08/new-trek-series-committed-to-casting-diversity-main-character-wont-be-captain/

10 years before TOS might mean war with the Romulans? It also says the lead will be an Admiral which gives a BSG vibe. I'm hoping that they don't use the prequel as another excuse for introducing the Borg and instead just make every episode a slow submarine style battle like Star Trek II.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Apollodorus posted:

There are several ways this makes sense to me:

a) it's a crafts project that they take pride in (I think this is especialy true of O'Brien and Bashir's WW2 pilot getup)

b) they like being seen in their costumes (contrast with Seven of Nine in VOY, when she definitely does use holo-clothes becaue she doesn't want other people to know she's experimenting with holo-dating)

c) holo-clothes don't feel right and ruin their immersion

d) in the future, cosplay - originally only a Japanese thing, you may remember, and not popular in the West until after c. 2000 CE - is extremely mainstream and as such almost everyone has several sets of costumes for their favorite dress-up activities

Well the truth is that it looks good on camera and helps telegraph a character's actions but I'm going to pretend it's so you don't end up getting jizz stains all over your work clothes.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sunswipe posted:

Had to look up what Barco Escape is. Sounds retarded. Also:

Because when I think "classic cinema" I think Jerry Bruckheimer. As part of the sentence "Jerry Bruckheimer is in no way associated with anything I'd consider classic cinema."

For some reason I had been confusing Bruckheimer with John Frankenheimer for quite a while so I went and looked it up and hoo boy are there some stinkers in Bruckheimer's career.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Figaro posted:

Pretty cool architecture though
Best Star Trek race

I thought of a long list but it all boils down to the fact that Cardassians are better at antagonizing O'Brien so they win by default.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wrote an unpublished essay after I watched Into Darkness and I justified the recent Trek movies as modern action films and I can appreciate them as such. The TV series stories were mostly ethical dramas, thrillers, horror, or comedies which I appreciate too but I can see why expectations are way off. They really didn't have the budget to make good action TV most of the time and there isn't enough of an audience to make a movie about Quark dressed as a woman.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggered posted:

Yeah like I said the white supremacist master race made everyone, but all the species that spawned off them are different. Dont the vulkans have their heart near where our livers are or something. Dont klingons have two hearts or am I thinking about space marines? Regardless, you cant just stick a klingon and a human together, it just wouldnt work.

Also why did the master race look like the thing odo used to melt together with?

Spock is half human, Troi is half human, Tasha Yar has a half-Romulan baby, Worf's son is 1/4 human. Heck, even the Cardassians are making babies with Bajorans.

It's all fictional of course and if you go back to the roots of Star Trek in the 60's where mixed race babies were pretty controversial, you see it's more of a social statement of inclusiveness.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggered posted:

I dont care if its a statement of world peace blah blah blah, that does not give Roddenberry the right to trample on basic biology.

You didnt see Tasha pop out one of these after she used Data as a sex toy did you:

Makes about as much sense as a half Klingon anyway.

Matter transporters and warp speed is ok but banging hot green chicks is off limits, gotcha. I would totally make babies with a Robin Williams robot though. I would be like one of those deviantart otherkin drawings of a pregnant man.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggered posted:

according to star trek they should have just stuck their dick in someone.

Roddenberry's philosophy summarized in one sentence

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
^^^ You couldn't pay me to click on that link, it's the living embodiment of :saddowns:

Jellymouth posted:

11. ACTING Grand Nagus Brunt

LIQUIDATOR Brunt, FCA is the best by default because its Jeffery Combs.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've had that Rod Stewart Enterprise theme song running in my head for the past few weeks and I think I'm starting to like it.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This thread is now about Porthos, Janeway's Dogs that she abandoned on earth, and that alien that pretended to be a dog so that it could eat LaForge.

E: Worf's childhood pet Targ discussion is allowed too.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

What about the Alfa 177 canine?

Poor thing died of having its good and evil halves put back together. :(

I don't like little yappy alien dogs but have at it

mailorder bees! posted:

Post the dogs so we can get a load

Sorry my internet is garbage so it would take me forever. Hopefully other people can step up like Powered Descent did above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Maldoror posted:

so like, get this,

new star trek series "star trek discovery" to air starting may 2017 on cbs (was supposed to start filming this month but now it looks like it will start filming in november)

takes place 10 years before tos (in tos universe not jj abrams universe i guess)

13 episodes, except, only the first episode will air on cbs

all the other ones will only air on "cbs all access" streaming service

but

only if you live in the usa or canada

in all other countries it will be on netflix

so in usa and canada, if you don't pay for cbs all access or don't have a device / player / tv with cbs all access or can't use cbs all access for whatever reason, then you can't legally watch it past episode 1

lol! :mmmhmm:

There's bits and pieces of other information you can read about here.

-Female lead character but she isn't a captain.
-A gay character, hopefully modeled after criscodisco's posts in this thread
-Will center on some sort of “major, previously undepicted event in the Trek mythos”
-CBS will probably cancel it after the first season because their streaming service is terrible