Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

futureproof posted:

I seriously hope they're not planning on having them stick around town for awhile, because that's the impression I'm getting from this review of the first 4 episodes (doesn't spoil anything). One of my favourite things about the comic is that the whole thing is one big road trip. No mention of the main plot from the comic either but I have read that Saint of Killers and Herr Starr are supposed to show up within the first 4 episodes, so who knows.

This is the thing that worries me most of all. They're doing the Salvation arc (In some way, I guess) in Annville so at least a large portion of the season will be spent there. And Jesse doesn't destroy his congregation the moment he gets the Word like in the books, which is the catalyst for him leaving and fleeing the cops.

Rhyno posted:

In the comics Tulip loving loves guns.

This show is not good.

Leonard Pine posted:

No, she's good at them and she knows them, but she doesn't love them. After the hunting accident and all.

This show was weird. I don't get the casting of Dominic Cooper at all. I don't mind him as an actor but he is probably the last person I'd think of to cast as Jesse Custer. I don't really mind change and departure but if they're going to stay in Annville, what is this show even going to be about? The whole point of the comic was that it was a manhunt.

Gilgun and the Tom Cruise joke were spectacular, though.

Right, it's a major plot point early on that while Tulip is competent and knows how to USE a gun, she hates them because her dad was killed in a hunting accident. Again, I wasn't expecting a carbon copy of the book and there's definitely some stuff that needs to change, but it almost seems like they took Tulip and Jesse and said "Let's make them the opposite of what they were in the books..".

I'm also worried about Jesse "Returning to Annville to finish his dad's work as a preacher" because lord knows that's a huge departure too.

Again, I wouldn't be upset if this were just comic adaptation #7,532 and strayed from the source (iZombie is a fantastic show that has almost nothing to do with the comic it's based on) except Rogan kept saying over and over again how he was a superfan and wanted to make something that did the comic justice. =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
First episode is already wildly different in story and tone than the book, but hey, it was fun. I enjoyed it.

Jesse and Tulip weren't as good as I thought they'd be, but Cassidy made up for that. Were the two guys in cowboy hats supposed to be from The Grail? (Not sure if I should spoil book stuff, but that seems to be the de facto rule)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

In the comics Tulip loving loves guns.

This show is not good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, they're the angels.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

muscles like this? posted:

No, they're the angels.

Oh, duh, that makes more sense.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
After watching the first 25 minutes of this and not seeing anything resembling the comic outside of the costuming I turned it off. If someone releases a "Best of Gilgun as Cassidy" video, I'll just watch that. The rest is shite.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Oh, duh, that makes more sense.

Well, the guys on the plane could possibly be the Grail it would give them something to do other than their very vague comic duties.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Never read the comics, have the barest idea of what it was about. Loved the pilot. It was weird, and funny, and unique. So I'm in.

EDIT: And for god's sake, don't post spoilers about the comics. I don't want to have to drop this thread.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Never read the comics, have the barest idea of what it was about. Loved the pilot. It was weird, and funny, and unique. So I'm in.

EDIT: And for god's sake, don't post spoilers about the comics. I don't want to have to drop this thread.

The show is drastically different than the comic thus far. Annville is literally about two pages in the book, and it's the entire season of the show. I'll refrain from posting spoilers but at this point I have no clue what direction they're going with.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm in for the season. I love all the leads and even being a huge fan of the comics I don't need to see a beat by beat retelling. As long as the Saint shows up I'm good.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Comfortador posted:

After watching the first 25 minutes of this and not seeing anything resembling the comic outside of the costuming I turned it off. If someone releases a "Best of Gilgun as Cassidy" video, I'll just watch that. The rest is shite.

Hate to be that guy but I agree. I'll probably see what people think about it half way in and go from there.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm in for the season. I love all the leads and even being a huge fan of the comics I don't need to see a beat by beat retelling. As long as the Saint shows up I'm good.

I'm pretty sure the Saint of Killers was the silhouette on the bottle of liquor Jesse has in his first scene.

Not in love with it but didn't hate it. Pilots are usually kinda shaky while they establish everything, so I'll wait a few episodes before deciding for sure. Cooper is usually fine in my book but he doesn't strike me as the Jesse type and the show is backing that up. He's a little too sleepy. Hopefully that changes.

Gilgun, though. Dude is loving perfect casting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all, but I just don't understand how someone can write off an entire show based on 1/4 of the first episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all, but I just don't understand how someone can write off an entire show based on 1/4 of the first episode.

Because it's changed the tone of the story and introduces enough changes that you can see where they're going.

Personally I was worried about it in the first thirty seconds with the cheesy Sci-Fi intro sequence. Hell, not keeping the Cassidy reveal for a later critical scene was a dumb decision in my mind.

I'll keep watching it to see if they change direction but it's gone from a "must watch live" to "DVR and watch when I'm bored" show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Uh the tone of the comic was " Nihilistic Black Comedy".

Yeah it's very divorced from the comics, which I was a huge fan of. However, if you read the book when it was coming out it was coming out in a really different time period.

They have the tone right for the dark comedic elements of it, but seriously Jesse Custer is a throwback in the books.

Also " Tom Cruise Explodes"

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
I loved the comics but am glad that it's been awhile since I read them so that I'm not comparing panel by panel. That said, I appreciated the pilot, but am hoping we don't get broody depressed Jesse for too long. The road trip aspect is central to the theme and impact, so I hope it doesn't get stripped away, though I realize it makes the logistics of filming a lot harder. I was a little skeptical about Joe Gilgun, but no longer.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I thought the comic was awesome when I was 14 but it's not a comic I would hold up as high art by any means. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about them changing character motivations or plot details around. Preacher is not a sacred cow with Important Canon to kowtow to, imo.

That said, I thought the pilot was interesting but inconsistent. They wanted there to be a bunch of jarring WTF moments with all the smash cuts to different locations and they succeed in a way, but if you can't tell going into a scene if it's supposed to be cartoony violence or people talking quietly about faith it can be tough to take the quieter moments seriously. It felt like it was trying very hard to show off how ~cool~ Cassidy and Tulip are by introducing them both in actions scenes with little leadup on one and absolutely none on the other, and that gives no ground to be invested or care about what was happening to unnamed characters besides witnessing spectacle. Which is fine I guess, but an episode in and the only motivation we can point to is that Cassidy wants to lay low for a while, Tulip as a mystery job to pull, and Jesse wants to be a good preacher but we don't know much about the actual characters besides that most of them are psychopaths.

I need some real righteous indignation from Jesse before saying whether or not he's the right actor for the part, but I thought both Tulip and Cassidy nailed what they were going for.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 23, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Presumably they're going to delay the time they spend before going on the road to be able to make more seasons.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I never read the comic, but heard about it here and there through other nerds. I was a little annoyed at how jumbled the pilot was. According to what I read, it doesn't follow the comic. But from what I see I think that comic readers would enjoy the show better knowing the background of these characters and what their deals are, because I was really confused. I felt like I was missing a prologue or something important.

Jesse's "Voice" power being taken literally was so telegraphed it lost all its punch. Poor Chip.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I never read the comic, but heard about it here and there through other nerds. I was a little annoyed at how jumbled the pilot was. According to what I read, it doesn't follow the comic. But from what I see I think that comic readers would enjoy the show better knowing the background of these characters and what their deals are, because I was really confused. I felt like I was missing a prologue or something important.

No, it makes it worse being a comic reader and knowing the background, because the characters are so different (Well, Tulip at the very least, and I'm not so pumped about Jesse's dad being a preacher either).

I'll admit that the books are far from art, they definitely are Garth Ennis books, but ultimately the base storyline was fantastic. The arc where Jesse's family is introduced and his past is revealed still stands as a great story to me and I'm nervous to see how they're going to change it around.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The show is about Scientology. They all have super powers because they have thetans which control them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

The show is about Scientology. They all have super powers because they have thetans which control them.

It pretty clearly showed Scientology isn't true when Tom Cruise died.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how Genesis went to a Satanic church, because those totally exist right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show has a vampire in it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how Genesis went to a Satanic church, because those totally exist right?

Uh, yeah. There's a Satanic Temple in Seattle. Pretty sure they don't have a big pentagram goat head on the door, but Satanic churches that meet in actual buildings are actually a thing.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

twistedmentat posted:

Look up the Baphomet statue that got unveiled a year ago in Detroit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Medullah posted:

No, it makes it worse being a comic reader and knowing the background, because the characters are so different (Well, Tulip at the very least, and I'm not so pumped about Jesse's dad being a preacher either).

i've read the comic and i honestly couldn't give a poo poo unless the show is just genuinely bad. I don't know why its such a big deal for you

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Media should be different. WALKING DEAD adheres pretty close to the comic and it's all the worse for it. People who say 'Just make the comic!' don't get how TV works. As long as it maintains the spirit of the original, which this does, it's all good.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I liked it but yeah, this episode was a mess if you didn't know anything about the comic. They tried to introduce too many plot lines at the same time.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

ZZZorcerer posted:

I liked it but yeah, this episode was a mess if you didn't know anything about the comic. They tried to introduce too many plot lines at the same time.

Counterpoint: I don't really know anything about the comic and I was able to follow it pretty well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mortanis posted:

Uh, yeah. There's a Satanic Temple in Seattle. Pretty sure they don't have a big pentagram goat head on the door, but Satanic churches that meet in actual buildings are actually a thing.
Goons being dismissive and righteous and being completely wrong? Well I never!

I haven't read the comic and I thought it was fine, but I agree it was disjointed, even for a pilot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This episode made basically no sense to me at all. Some guy fell from a airplane and some black fought with a spear.

Another chance for AMC to whip up an hour with Chris Hardcheese to cash in on some commercial money!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ShakeZula posted:

Counterpoint: I don't really know anything about the comic and I was able to follow it pretty well.

it was really easy to follow but disjointed because they introduced all the main characters in the first episode so it jumped about a lot

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Duke posted:

Notice me senpai! Notice me!

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Jose posted:

i've read the comic and i honestly couldn't give a poo poo unless the show is just genuinely bad. I don't know why its such a big deal for you

Is it hard to believe that some readers wanted something a little closer?

This seems to be a common theme with adaptations. People fall on either side of extremes when it IS possible to find a happy medium. I don't think this is it.

You can adapt this story without completely changing the ideas of characters. That way the viewers can be happy AND the readers can appreciate seeing their loved characters come to life on the screen.

Would it change anything on the new viewership or looser caring people to have Tulip abhor guns? Nope... they are new viewers and people who don't care. So why even contemplate changing something unnecessary? They seem to do this a ton and I see why it alienates some of the readers who care more like myself.

One of the biggest guiding memories of the main character is his father who was a John Wayne type. Now he's a preacher? What reason was this change made? If you need a religious person who mentored Jesse create one.

I just don't understand the unnecessary changes just for change's sake.

Oh well, feel free to rip on me for caring about a poorly written comic by Garth Ennis or something. I deserve it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrVenkman posted:

Media should be different. WALKING DEAD adheres pretty close to the comic and it's all the worse for it.

Not really. The casts and plots of the show and comic are quite different at this point, The show does venture back towards the comics at times but there's been a major deviation from the source material for the bulk of the show.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Comfortador posted:

Is it hard to believe that some readers wanted something a little closer?

This seems to be a common theme with adaptations. People fall on either side of extremes when it IS possible to find a happy medium. I don't think this is it.

You can adapt this story without completely changing the ideas of characters. That way the viewers can be happy AND the readers can appreciate seeing their loved characters come to life on the screen.

Would it change anything on the new viewership or looser caring people to have Tulip abhor guns? Nope... they are new viewers and people who don't care. So why even contemplate changing something unnecessary? They seem to do this a ton and I see why it alienates some of the readers who care more like myself.
This seems like a silly complaint for a pilot episode. We have no idea what elements are going to work better with these minor changes.

quote:

One of the biggest guiding memories of the main character is his father who was a John Wayne type. Now he's a preacher? What reason was this change made? If you need a religious person who mentored Jesse create one.

I just don't understand the unnecessary changes just for change's sake.

Except there's no way to know it's change for changes sake. I can easily see a story arc involving Jesse's grandma and he discovers his dad was horribly coerced into it. Something he can walk away from in a way to triumph against the same trials his dad faced both physically and spiritually.

Though i haven't had a chance to catch the pilot yet so...

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
As others have mentioned, the pilot is effectively a prequel to the comic so we don't even know how they'll handle the comics' storyline once it starts. I'd say Jesse and Cassidy's characters are pretty consistent with their pre-issue-one selves, and I was always curious about his time in Annville so I like that we're spending more time there. Comics-Tulip never really clicked with me so I'm good with the changes to her.

I mean, if Ennis himself has said the show keeps the spirit of the comics, I'm willing to give it a few episodes at least. I suppose he might be just starstruck, but this is the guy who said something like "if I ever do a Green Lantern comic you'll know I'm desperate for cash" while he was writing an ongoing for DC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ennis is getting an enormous royalty check, of course he's going to say positive things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Here's hoping that for once the comic book fans actually bail on the show so we don't have to put up with an entire season of them complaining and turning the thread into a redacted CIA document in the process.

The Duke posted:

Satanism is real in the sense that Pastafarians are real, it's mostly a bunch of edgelords play-acting at religion for satire/irony purposes.

• Locked thread