Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FilthyImp posted:

Pretty much everyone is doing it. Fox doubled up Bob's Burgers last week to compensate.

Plus it gives then an extra week to build audience with the pilot replay.

And don't forget the premiere of Talking Preacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Medullah posted:

And don't forget the premiere of Talking Preacher.

They broke convention, but I guess they couldn't call it Talking God right?

Also why the gently caress is there a need for Talking Preacher?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

They broke convention, but I guess they couldn't call it Talking God right?

Also why the gently caress is there a need for Talking Preacher?

Same reason there's a need for Talking <anything> - double the slots for advertisers. It's easy money for AMC.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you guys think AMC's 'Talking...' shows are bad you should see Talking Thrones which is way worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thrakkorzog posted:

I love to see some Hitman, but It's probably screwed right from the start due to rights issue.

DC killed off Amanda Waller, Deadshot, and Captain Boomerang on the CW shows because they think people are idiots, and can't tell the difference between TV shows and movies. Even Supergirl has to refer to Superman in annoyingly oblique ways.

Good luck seeing Hitman chilling with Superman anytime soon. Which is a shame, because the issue where Tommy hangs out with Superman is one of the best Superman stories I've ever read.

Did you know Ennis, McCrea and Peter Tomasi pitched an animated Hitman show to Mtv back in 2003? Tomasi spent two weeks creating stand in characters and locations for every DCU hero and location they wouldn't be allowed to see. He used to show the pitch notebook off at conventions and they had a huge amount of material put together for the pitch.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Did you know Ennis, McCrea and Peter Tomasi pitched an animated Hitman show to Mtv back in 2003? Tomasi spent two weeks creating stand in characters and locations for every DCU hero and location they wouldn't be allowed to see. He used to show the pitch notebook off at conventions and they had a huge amount of material put together for the pitch.

I'm not sure it would work as well without the DC characters in it. You'd be creating superheroes for no other reason than to take the piss out of them, which is getting into Monopoly Guy territory.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
It's been a while since I read the comics but wasn't Tulip the level headed one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Clipperton posted:

I'm not sure it would work as well without the DC characters in it. You'd be creating superheroes for no other reason than to take the piss out of them, which is getting into Monopoly Guy territory.

It was literally the only way they were going to be able to do but it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

It's been a while since I read the comics but wasn't Tulip the level headed one?

Yeah, she was (I guess I'll spoiler since it's comics but clearly different character) a girl that Jesse met when he ran away from his hosed up family, fell in love with and then seemingly abandoned when his family found him and forced him to come back home and become a preacher. When they meet up by chance in the beginning of the series she hates him for leaving her but doesn't know the real reason. She's no-nonsense, knows how to use guns but despises them because of a traumatic event from her childhood. Her relationship with Jesse is pretty much the central theme of the book - he wants to protect her like an old fashioned cowboy, but she doesn't "need" his protection.

They definitely didn't come from the same town, and he hadn't become a preacher when they first met - they stole cars together, which was the "big criminals" they had been

Seems they're taking the "she can take care of herself" part to the extreme with this version.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It was literally the only way they were going to be able to do but it.

Lame

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

With the DC characters attached it was never going to happen. I agree it sucks but it just wouldn't fly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Will the give Jesse his lighter? Kinda bullshit without it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I read they will most likely, but will need to obscure a letter or two to get away with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ruddiger posted:

On a network where they can't use that word?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I thought AMC got away with using 1 gently caress or whatever in Breaking Bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

gently caress may as well have been the 4th cast member of the comic.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Hollismason posted:

Gonna reiterate that if you have but 1 gently caress to give, it should be "Go gently caress yourself."

yes I am literally 5 years old but then again so is Seth Rogan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, they already used a gently caress in the pilot and just clunkily muted it, so. We'll probably get the lighter, but it'll probably be CGI'd to say "SCREW COMMUNISM" or "F**K COMMUNISM" on TV and only be in its full glory on the blu-ray.

e: related note, you can actually buy the lighter for yourself. It's like $25 including shipping on Amazon.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 30, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hollismason posted:

There was a scene in Breaking Bad where someone left a note to another person saying "gently caress YOU" but they blurred out the middle two letters. There's nothing really stopping them from actually saying gently caress, it just really depends on advertisers being okay with it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

It sure looks like they've changed Jesse's dad's origin, now being a preacher and all. This being 20 years after the comics being published, I can see them dropping the whole Vietnam War, Medal of Honor-recipient dad angle completely...RIP Gonny. Speaking of which, it being 20 years on, I wonder what Arseface's raison d'etre is? It can't be Cobain, can it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, they already used a gently caress in the pilot and just clunkily muted it, so. We'll probably get the lighter, but it'll probably be CGI'd to say "SCREW COMMUNISM" or "F**K COMMUNISM" on TV and only be in its full glory on the blu-ray.

e: related note, you can actually buy the lighter for yourself. It's like $25 including shipping on Amazon.

I had one made back in 1998.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Eat This Glob posted:

It sure looks like they've changed Jesse's dad's origin, now being a preacher and all. This being 20 years after the comics being published, I can see them dropping the whole Vietnam War, Medal of Honor-recipient dad angle completely...RIP Gonny. Speaking of which, it being 20 years on, I wonder what Arseface's raison d'etre is? It can't be Cobain, can it?

Yeah, fair to say the present day setting does kind of reduce the cultural importance/potency of figures like Cobain or the Duke, somewhat. And how would Custer Snr even get the lighter in the first place now, he'd probably have still been in school when Wayne died. If they bother keeping it, it's going to need an all new story behind it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It really depends on whether or not Jesse is supposed to be Dominic Cooper's age. Because he was born in 78 and that's old enough that his dad could have been in Vietnam.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Rhyno posted:

oh thats cool though i had one made on dec. 31 1997

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

It really depends on whether or not Jesse is supposed to be Dominic Cooper's age. Because he was born in 78 and that's old enough that his dad could have been in Vietnam.

Even in the comic Jesse is an "old fashioned" guy. 20 years ago John Wayne movies weren't exactly modern - wouldn't be that big of a stretch to keep him a fan of old Westerns. And I can see them making the lighter Jesse's grandfather's rather than his fathers, handed down from father to son.

The part that I'm really "interested" in seeing is how Jesse's dad ends up being a preacher without ruining the character

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Medullah posted:

Even in the comic Jesse is an "old fashioned" guy. 20 years ago John Wayne movies weren't exactly modern - wouldn't be that big of a stretch to keep him a fan of old Westerns. And I can see them making the lighter Jesse's grandfather's rather than his fathers, handed down from father to son.

The part that I'm really "interested" in seeing is how Jesse's dad ends up being a preacher without ruining the character

Military Chaplain?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Enjoyed the pilot. Glad to see Rudy getting more work. Kickass VFX on the scene where he jumps out of the plane. The angle, perspective, really sold the freefall.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dominic Cooper is 38? Jesus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I guess we'll see how they portray him in the show but comic Jesse was in his mid 20's or so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I guess we'll see how they portray him in the show but comic Jesse was in his mid 20's or so.

Ruth Negga is 34 so it would probably make more sense to be closer to their real age.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah in the comics Jesse was 17-18 when he met Tulip and she was 21 (scene where she buys him a beer because she's of legal drinking age), and I think the main series picks up just a couple years after then, so he's early 20s in the comic.

Think the show is going for more of a mature Jesse who has spent a few years preachin, and his "dark past" with Tulip will be when they were younger, probably skipping town together or something along those lines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ruth Negga is 34 so it would probably make more sense to be closer to their real age.

Why? Hollywood has a long history of casting older actors to play younger roles.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yeah in the comics Jesse was 17-18 when he met Tulip and she was 21 (scene where she buys him a beer because she's of legal drinking age), and I think the main series picks up just a couple years after then, so he's early 20s in the comic.

Think the show is going for more of a mature Jesse who has spent a few years preachin, and his "dark past" with Tulip will be when they were younger, probably skipping town together or something along those lines.

I just reread the comics (parts hold up, others don't) and they explicitly say they've been together about 10 years by the time the comic's over, so they're early mid thirties by that time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Silentgoldfish posted:

I just reread the comics (parts hold up, others don't) and they explicitly say they've been together about 10 years by the time the comic's over, so they're early mid thirties by that time.

I've been re-reading them too and just read that it was 5 years since Jesse left Tulip, so he's 23-24 when the series begins with Tulip being 26-27. :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pretty much how it went whenever I lent it to people to light up. I really don't know why I got it, I didn't smoke.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

It's the same with Better Call Saul, you'd think they'd be able to negotiate with their advertisers for more swears at some point since being basic cable's HBO has been their niche for so long.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Weird they never got Y the Last Man off the ground as a TV Series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Weird they never got Y the Last Man off the ground as a TV Series.

I thought Vaughn didn't want to adapt it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I thought Vaughn didn't want to adapt it?

No FX was adapting it and then pulled the plug on it in January of this year. They've tried multiple times to adapt it. One of the notes I remember them writing about in a article was " We should try and get more men into the show".

• Locked thread